Irish Mountain
Running Association

Nav Challenge 1

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Laura FlynnJan 14 2016, 3:53pmGavan, I'm writing to Coillte and Parks re permits for 2016 events . What is position red routes/ maps for navigational challenge . Will I tell them that they are broadly similar to last year?
Gavan DuffyFeb 24 2016, 10:33pmHi,

From reading through the events list, many of the races that have great looking trails advise that the runner must have a map, compass etc. I have never entered one of these races as I've never used a compass and map before. Is this hard to learn. Has anyone got advice on how I would go about learning this or better still who should I chat to, to get up to speed on this.

Thanks
Gavan
Karen DevenneyFeb 24 2016, 11:12pmHi Gavan, I first learned how to use a compass on a group recce for the Stone Cross to Lug relay. I got a bit more practice in the run up to the race and shortly after, took up orienteering which is great for learning navigation & improving skills. There are regular Come & Try It events to check it out & people are very friendly & helpful in showing you the ropes. Check out www.orienteering.ie. I'm sure there are also proper navigation courses you can you but as many IMRA runners also orienteer so you might well get some tips from friends
Gavan DohertyFeb 25 2016, 10:18pmHi Gavan,

Good to hear this kind of question asked. For some of the open mountain races the requirements are overstated but all it takes is bad weather/low visibility and having a map and knowing what to do with it are crucial!

I'd suggest a few things:
1) do the Nav Challenges. We've put on a short course for the last few years which is aimed at complete novices, no experience needed.
2) If you can't wait that long you could also buy some maps of upcoming IMRA races. My personal favourites are the EastWest maps of Wicklow/Dublin, but there are OS and Harvey's maps of the same areas. Take a look at the route description on the IMRA website, work out what the route is on your new map. After the race go back over the map and see if you can match what you saw on the ground to what you see on the map.
3) I agree with Karen, give the orienteering a whirl! There are 3 events over the next few weeks near Dublin that are perfect (Castletown in Celbridge on Feb 28th, Phoenix Park on March 6th and Bull Island on March 13th). Each of these will have a course that's ideal for beginners and talking to fellow IMRA folk (there are plenty at the orienteering events) always adds to the learning
4) Don't get too worried about a compass, focus on the map instead and enjoy it..!

Feel free to get in touch directly with me on 086 262 1445 if you want to go into it a bit more.

Cheers,
John BellAug 7 2016, 11:18pmJust 2 weeks until the first race of the Nav Challenge series. I've posted some details on the event page.

There will be a long and short course. The long will be 16km+ and will be a tough physical and navigational challenge. There will also be a short course that will be less than 10km, which will be ideal for learning. If you have completed a few of the Wednesday runs and can read the basic details of a map give it a go.

Hope to see then.
James HeggieAug 17 2016, 12:37pmHi wondered if anyone is coming through Maynooth area who might be able to pick me up, don't think I have access to a car this weekend?
Brian O MurchuAug 19 2016, 2:30pmAnyone in line for the following and would like to collect at this race, let me know and I'll arrange it (murchubrian at gmail dot com):
-Leinster League Prize
-Club100 tshirt
-IMRA yearbook
-Wicklow Round tshirt
John BellAug 19 2016, 8:49pmNAV CHALLENGE 1 UPDATE

The route for Sunday has changed as we couldn't get permission to go through private lands. The start location remains the same - at the entrance to Ballinafunshoge Woods near Pier Gates. Parking at the race start is very limited but there are places you can park further along the road.

There are 10 control points. For the LONG course you must visit ALL TEN controls in any order you choose. For the SHORT course you must visit ANY FIVE controls. Good route choice should make a big difference, so I'd recommend taking your time planning your route.

Overall the long course is a bit longer at +19km but with less climb of roughly 500m.

We will have any early start at 10:00 if anyone thinks they might be longer than 4hrs.

Unless you have vouchers don't forget to register online before the deadline of 6pm on Saturday.
James H CahillAug 21 2016, 4:57pmWell done john, the entire Bell Family, Chris and Brian. Great day in the hills today. Super course and great fun .......would be very interested to see if anyone made it round in close to 19km..,.took me 23.4! Brilliant day.
John BellAug 21 2016, 8:57pmWell done to all who competed today. It was a bit longer than intended due to the late change of course last week. After the extra distance covered all who ran today should be well set for Nav Challenge 2 next Sunday. Also sorry about the wrong location of control 8 which was fixed but caused lost time to the few who picked it up early. Control 2 proved very difficult with the recently felled trees and lots of new tracks in the area. Lessons learned by me for next time.

We'll done to winners on the day, Warren and Daniel on the long and Mike and Theresa on the short.

Karen hope the injury isn't too bad.

Thanks to the volunteers Chris and Brian, the two brothers Peter and Kevin, and also Mike for stepping in to help with my amateur first aid. Thanks to the IMRA committee for all the behind the scenes work. Big thanks also to Gavan Doherty for all the help and organing printing of the maps and to GEN for the loan of the control flags.
Brian FennessyAug 21 2016, 9:45pmWhat a great day on the hills.Thanks jb peter kev and chris. Karen hope the ankle is ok. Well done everyone who competed today was a tough one but I certainly found it very enjoyable. As for control no 8 these things happen and theres more important things in life to worry about. Well done john and the lads. Really looking forward to next weeks one.
Karen DevenneyAug 21 2016, 10:24pmSo the good news is nothing's broken but the bad news is I'll be out of action for a little while at least. I'm really hoping that the immediate treatment has helped & the damage isn't as bad as it seemed...positive mental attitude!
A massive thanks to everyone who looked after me so well...team Bell for a great event, the emergency lift, food & laughs! Mike for the excellent first aid & Eoin & Rhys for sorting out logistics & getting me to A&E. So the day didn't go exactly how I'd planned but you guys reminded that it's the fantastic people in IMRA that truly make it great. Thanks again & see you all soon
Sam ScrivenAug 22 2016, 10:19amGreat day out in the hills yesterday, really enjoyed it.

A lot of work went into organising the event. We were lucky with the weather in the morning, not so for those marking and unmarking the course. Much appreciated!

Well done to Warren and the other winners.

Best wishes Karen for speedy recovery.
Karen DevenneyAug 24 2016, 7:59pmResults are up. Any issues, drop me a mail
Warren SwordsAug 26 2016, 11:54amA belated thanks to John and all the volunteers last Sunday. Great race and course. The west side of Djouce is great craic.

Was wacky races at times.

Get well soon Karen