Irish Mountain
Running Association

Devil's Glen

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
David LenahanMay 6 2015, 12:48pmAug 12th 8 k race

Traveling in from overseas and would love to use this as a training run. As it gets closer is there a link to register, details on starting point etc? thanks David
Gareth LittleMay 6 2015, 1:05pmDavid, here is the link to the race.

https://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/1264

Nearer the time, can you please register with IMRA (cost €10). You will fuind the link on the website.

Then you pay €7 for the race on the day.

Thanks,

Gareth
Paul O'GradyMay 6 2015, 1:47pmGareth - you forgot to tell David about the compulsory jacket.

I'd tell him, only he might think that I was joking and that he didn't need to bring a jacket while running 8K, in the evening, in Ireland, in summer!!!
Rachel CinnsealachMay 6 2015, 3:00pmPaul, that's enough. Please respect the decision made by the committee.
Gareth LittleMay 6 2015, 9:54pmPaul, I think I speak for most people, grow up!
Paul O'GradyMay 6 2015, 10:05pmGareth, that's not the sentiment that I am receiving by personal emails.

Lets put this to the AGM - and have the procedures properly followed this time.
Richard NunanMay 6 2015, 11:30pmHi Folks,

Just in the interest of clarity - the issue of safety and mandatory kit was raised at the last 3 AGMS. This was raised as a serious ongoing issue. The committee made a decision based on the feeback at the 2014 AGM on the introduction of a jacket as a mandatory piece of kit for all races.

Coincidentally, the winner of tonight's race was disqualified for not having their mandatory kit. For Scalp people were asked online, at registration and at the start line to ensure they were carrying their jacket.

We look forward to discussing it again at the next AGM
Bronagh CheethamMay 7 2015, 8:35amHave to add...definitely speak for me Gareth and absolutely the view of anyone I talk to! Seriously Paul ..get over it and man up to have a bit of respect to the club, our president and committee rules
Paul O'GradyMay 7 2015, 8:56amBronagh - that was an appalling post to put up on the forum.

I am astounded by your tone.

There is no need for a debate to get personal.

You crossed the line.
Brendan LawlorMay 7 2015, 10:31amHi Paul

You've suggested we revisit this at the AGM and Richard has agreed - lets all leave it there for now.

Well done to Vivian on enforcing the rule last night - not easy. I'll be doing the same at Glasnamullan in two weeks time
david lenahanMay 7 2015, 12:12pmThanks Gareth for all the details. I did monitor the news link updates and saw the piece on the jacket. I would look out for such details upon registering.
Val JonesMay 7 2015, 1:21pmYes, good on Vivian for not bottling it and disqualifying those without the jacket, even the potential winner. If the rule is there it should be enforced.
Derek KellettMay 7 2015, 1:44pmTwo years ago, I had the pleasure of running a 9 km up & down race on a fine Saturday afternoon in May in the hills. I was wearing the running rucksack & half way up one of the local stewards joking asked "Are you going camping ?". 5 minutes later the jacket came out as hailstones started, followed by strong winds & snow. At this stage I am meeting the leading lads coming back down from the top (the race was won in 57 minutes, not an unreasonable time for some of our later league races). Reaching the top (at this stage deep in mist) we were greeted by the Mountain Rescue team looking for a casualty who it is reported has taken a fall & that they were stopping any body else coming up the hill on H&S grounds. The casualty had fallen & done a lot of damage to his shoulder & was brought down by fellow racers one of whom had a jacket with him over very rough ground very painful, awkward & slow, dressed only in a Tee shirt (& your man's jacket) in hailstones, strong winds, snow etc.

We have been warned, these things happen. I FULLY support the jacket policy, carrying &/or wearing a jacket is no more inconvenient than wearing a hat/sunglasses/backpack whatever & God forbid but maybe one day someone else may be grateful of mine.
David LenahanMay 17 2015, 5:12pmGareth I registered for IMRA, cheers!. Just to confirm you pay on race day. Look forward to meeting some Irish trail runners. Should anyone every pop over to Minnesota to run the Superior Hiking trails or around the Twin Cities drop me a line. We have some good technical trails especially along the North Shore of Lake Superior. Ian Corless host of Talk Ultra Podcasts did a feature on them last year.
http://superiortrailrace.com
http://iancorless.org/2014/09/07/superior-100-2014-minnesota-nice/
Gareth LittleMay 18 2015, 4:30pm@David. Yeap, just show up and pay your €7 and you will be good to go. Thanks!
Ian ConroyAug 11 2015, 5:57pmAnybody else heading out to this one from town/city centre? I'd love to run it but need a lift. Thanks
Damien CoyleAug 11 2015, 6:40pmHey Ian there seems to be a lack of car poolers at the moment.
I suggest that you go to the IMRA page on facebook and post a message there for potential car pooling / sharing to DG.
It will be well worth the effort to get to as it is a great course.
Hope you have a nice evening.
Kind Regards
Damien
John J BarryAug 11 2015, 8:11pmIan. I'm driving from Blackrock if any good. Note: returning to Ballinteer not dart line.