Irish Mountain
Running Association

Circuit of Brockagh

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Gareth LittleFeb 11 2014, 4:22pmHi all, please note that this event has been changed to Sunday 27th and not Saturday 26th as originally billed.

I will have a full route map up and all the other details posted by the end of next week.

Any questions in the mean time just give me a shout.

Cheers

Gareth - CoB Race Director

garethlittle at yahoo.co.uk

Gareth LittleFeb 24 2014, 10:15pm
Here is the Garmin link of the route. I ran it on Saturday and it's a very nice route and will definitely suit the good climbers out there.

I'd say the top runners will come in around 2h45m

Due to the length of the race I will be accepting early starters at 10am and 11am.

Although 99% of the route is on some sort of road, trail or walkers track you are still in parts, on exposed open mountain so appropriate clothing and navigation skills are a must.

I will post a route description, mandatory kit list and a bit more general race info closer to the time.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/451011766

Marcos SanchezMar 4 2014, 1:53pmThanks Gareth. It looks a very interesting route. Looking forward to it.
Gareth LittleMar 5 2014, 9:57pm
Please note that this race will be capped at 50 runners. It's unlikely to attract that number but if it does it's first come first served. Thanks for your understanding
juju jayMar 17 2014, 11:56pmhey dude..
how come only 50 for this race?
peace
Gareth LittleMar 18 2014, 10:01am
National Parks limits. It's unlikely there will be 50 on the day if you look back at LC numbers over the past years. Thx
juju jayMar 18 2014, 6:46pmo yes i knew that!!!... but didn't imra have races there with more people b4?... and how come the other races not form IMRA have more people..? just asking...peace
John BuckleyApr 2 2014, 7:45pmLooks great!! Looking forward to it already!
Zoran SkrbaApr 11 2014, 11:22amHi Gareth, do we need to follow the advertised route (not that there are many other options ;)), or e.g. are the summits only mandatory points?
Gareth LittleApr 11 2014, 12:45pm
Hi Zoran, I will post some further race instructions over the weekend which should answer your questions.

Thx,

Gareth

Gareth LittleApr 14 2014, 10:18am
For this years Circuit of Brockagh Race, the following points must be visited in the below order:

T 108 963 Start/Finish
O 132 018 Scarr 641m
O 114 029 Glenmacnass Waterfall Car Park
O 085 015 Tonelagee 817m
T 081 980 Camaderry 698m
T 108 963 Start/Finish

Maps which cover the race area include:

EastWest Mapping, Lugnaquilla & Glendalough 1:30,000
Harvey's Wicklow Mountains 1:30,000
Glendalough Glenmalure (Pat Healy) 1:25,000
OSI Sheet 56 1:50,000

The EastWest map is recommended with the Harvey’s the second best option. Users of the other two maps will be at a disadvantage early and late in the race due to poor track description.

Mandatory Kit:

1. Map of race area
2. Compass
3. Whistle
4. Rain Jacket
5. Mobile phone

Failure to possess 1 to 5 of the above at registration or race start will result in your entry to the race being refused. Failure to possess 1 to 5 of the above when finishing will result in your disqualification from the race.

Route Description:

The race will start and finish at the Bolger's Cottage (education centre) on the Miner’s Road by the Upper Lake, Glendalough. From here, runners will travel uphill on a track that will join St Kevin’s Way. Runners will turn right onto St Kevin’s Way and head towards the road near the Glendalough Hotel. From this road, runners will join the Wicklow Way and follow that until they cross the foot bridge and come out onto the road just north of Laragh. After this road crossing, runners will continue along the Wicklow Way up Paddock Hill and onto open mountain side.

Scarr will need to be summated and then there will be a quick decent down to the car park to the Glenmacnass Waterfall. Care must be taken crossing the road/river here. Once the river has been crossed, runners will then make there way up to the summit of Tonelagee. After Tonelagee, runners will make there way down to the car park at the Wicklow Gap.

After this car park, Camaderry will need to be summated. Then there will be a bit route choice required at this point. It will be interesting to see which route people choose to get to Camaderry from the Wicklow Gap car park.

After Camaderry, there will be a very steep decent back into Glendalough and the finish line.

NB: Apart from the ~100m of road leading from St Kevin’s Way to the Wicklow Way, at the start of the race, roads may only be crossed and not used as part of the course. Beware of all road crossings for cars!

Final note:

Early starts will be at 10am and 11am for those that need them.

There are several road crossings and a river crossing to be wary of and a low mist or cloud base on the day will make navigation very challenging. On that note I’d ask that all participants are confident with the use of a map and compass. Please do not just follow the person in front of you as they may not know where they are going!

If for any reason you need to drop out please notify me know via text or call on o87 9573216. This point is essential as failure to do so will result in a wasted mountain rescue callout.

There can be a maximum of 50 participants in this race. Although not likely to reach 50 participants, we have to give places on a first come first served basis so please arrive early to avoid disappointment.

The upper lake car park has a fee of €4 for the day. If you would like to avoid this please either carpool or use the lower lake car park about 3k south, which is free.

Prize giving will be at the start/finish location.

Although food and drink are not mandatory, I’d ask each competitor to carry some with them as this is a challenging route with some tough climbs!

Please be prepared for this race and I hope you all enjoy it.

Thanks

Gareth Little – Race Director

Brian O MurchuApr 21 2014, 7:33pmAnyone travelling from Dublin to this race with a spare seat? Circuit of Brockagh looks amazing!
John McGregorApr 22 2014, 12:31pmHello, I'm hoping to do this too and am also needing a lift, just to Glendalough as I'm hoping my family will come down later to pick up the pieces. I live in Ballybrack and could be at the Cherrywood flyover on the N11 whenever suits. Thanks, John
Gareth LittleApr 22 2014, 4:03pm
Would anyone else like to volunteer for this race? Could use a few more bodies, thx

Gareth LittleApr 22 2014, 4:17pm
All volunteers will get ice creams ;)
Stuart ScottApr 22 2014, 4:25pmI'd have thought ice creams for the runners would be a better incentive if the volunteers want to get home quickly!
Gareth LittleApr 22 2014, 4:32pm
Remember folks, volunteering for this race will count for your end of league prize...
Raghnall O'DonoghueApr 22 2014, 4:54pmGareth, are running volunteers of any use to you?
Gareth LittleApr 22 2014, 4:57pm
Not really for this race Raghnall, but thx
Petra TolarovaApr 22 2014, 7:06pmHi all, I can help but need a lift. Anyone from the volunteers driving from Dublin having a spare seat? I'm based in Smithfield but can meet you anywhere on the way.
Thanks, Petra
Moire O'SullivanApr 22 2014, 8:11pmGareth, do you have to pass through Wicklow Gap carpark - its not listed as a mandatory point but it is mentioned in the narrative description.
Gareth LittleApr 22 2014, 10:32pm
Yes it is Moire. Sorry, forgot to add it to the list. I hope to have a water station there and also keep track of runners passing through. Thx
Gareth LittleApr 24 2014, 9:40am
Have enough helpers now, will send a mail later to all, thx
Ger PowerApr 24 2014, 12:52pmJohn and Petra, I can give you both a lift, I will be leaving from Blackrock. I am volunteering but not sure what time I am leaving yet if you want to travel with my no is O877957I46.
Ger PowerApr 24 2014, 12:57pmBrian if you need a lift your welcome.
Gareth LittleApr 24 2014, 5:04pm
Ger, I am going to send a mail to you all later this evening but just so you know, I do not need you until about 11:15/30 and you will be stationed at the Wicklow Gap car park, many thanks
Paddy DariganApr 24 2014, 7:15pmHi Gareth, just let me know where you want me and at what time, I am happy to do summit marshal if needed, I have recce d the course
Gareth LittleApr 24 2014, 10:37pm
I have just mailed all the volunteers with further details
Gareth LittleApr 24 2014, 10:48pm
RACE UPDATE:

Due to the great volunteering spirit of IMRA I am now in a position to be able to have two aid stations along the way. The first will be at the Glenmacnass Car Park and the second will be at the Wicklow Gap car park.

There will be water here and hopefully some jellies too! The marshals will be taking a note of your number so please keep it visible when passing through.

The prize giving will e at the start/finish area and prizes will be for the 1st three M & F's. There will be spot prizes too and hopefully some food too.

There will be a short course (well not that short!) available. You can chose to get to the Wicklow Gap car park and come back to the start/finish point via St Kevin's Way. Just make sure you notify either myself and the marshals that you are taking this option.

I would strongly urge you to take the early starts of 10 or 11 if you feel you need them as I do not want my volunteers out any longer than necessary. Registration will open at 09:45. If you would like to start before this time you MUST text me on O8795732l6 and let me know your name and start time. You may also run the risk of being too fast for the aid station crew so ear that in mind too.

List of mandatory points that need to be visited:

T 108 963 Start/Finish
O 132 018 Scarr 641m
O 114 029 Glenmacnass Waterfall Car Park
O 085 015 Tonelagee 817m
O 077 001 Wicklow Gap Car Park
T 081 980 Camaderry 698m
T 108 963 Start/Finish

MANDATORY Kit!!!!!:

1. Map of race area
2. Compass
3. Whistle
4. Rain Jacket
5. Mobile phone

If for any reason you need to drop out please notify me know via text or call on o87 9573216. This point is essential as failure to do so will result in a wasted mountain rescue callout.

Prize giving will be at the start/finish location.

That’s all for now, thanks

Gareth - RD

Sam ScrivenApr 25 2014, 9:27amhi.
Hoping somebody can offer a spare seat going to the race on Sunday, going from Dublin 8 or bus/luas stop. Thanks, Sam
Sam ScrivenApr 25 2014, 9:38amhi.
Hoping somebody can offer a spare seat going to the race on Sunday, going from Dublin 8 or bus/luas stop. Thanks, Sam
Ger LawlorApr 25 2014, 12:22pmHi Sam. I'm heading down but it will be earlier for volunteering duties. The plan is to be at Glendalough at 9.45. May be too early for you but if you are stuck give me a shout
Sam ScrivenApr 25 2014, 1:32pmThanks Ger. I'm all sorted. Talk to you on Sunday.
Gareth LittleApr 26 2014, 9:20am

RACE UPDATE:

Early starts - Some people asking do you have to be slower than 160% of winning time in order to qualify for an early start. Answer in no. Please use either a 10 or 11 start if you wish and we encourage this too.

Food - Although not mandatory, we would strongly urge you to take appropriate food and liquids with you. We do have some aid stations along the way but its best to plan for a worst case scenario ie you get lost and miss them or I am not able to supply aid stations due to last minute logistics issues.

Gear - Please bring appropriate gear for an extended period in the mountains. Take into account that it may be wet and windy.

Weather - Could be mixed on Sunday so please keep an eye on it and be aware of the conditions. While the met.ie site is great it is not good for the mountains, please use something like yr.no

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Wicklow_Mountains/

As always, any questions just give me a shout,

garethlittle at yahoo.co.uk

Thanks,

Gareth - RD
Gareth LittleApr 26 2014, 3:06pmForgot to mention that there will be a cut off time of 15:30 at the Wicklow Gap checkpoint so bear that in mind when choosing a start time. Thx
Ken CowleyApr 26 2014, 5:19pmGer (Lawlor) - just looking at the forum posts there, I'd like to go down and do the 10am start, you mentioned you were heading down for 9.45 when you offered a lift to Sam, is that still your plan, and can I ask what part of Dublin are you going from? cowleyken72 at gmail dot com
Ken CowleyApr 26 2014, 5:31pmGer (Lawlor) - just looking at the forum posts there, I'd like to go down and do the 10am start, you mentioned you were heading down for 9.45 when you offered a lift to Sam, is that still your plan, and can I ask what part of Dublin are you going from? cowleyken72 at gmail dot com
Brían O'MearaApr 26 2014, 9:39pmI ran this today, as can't tomorrow. Great route, but if the conditions for the race are similar to today, care should be taken crossing the Glenmacnass river. It was deep and fast flowing today.
Brían O'MearaApr 26 2014, 9:41pmMore so than usual, I mean.
Richard NunanApr 27 2014, 8:05pmSuper race today - tough Mountain running !!

Well done to Gareth and his band of helpers, it was very well organised especially for such a long race!! This was a new route and one we hope to see again on the Calendar, it was a great success.

Finally Congrats to Zoran Skrba and Niamh Colmain on great wins !!
Ken CowleyApr 27 2014, 8:54pmGreat event guys. Well done to Gareth & crew. Stunning route, full of variety and some of the best scenery in Ireland. Was nice to have the Glendalough lake after to cool off in (no swimming of course!) after such a long sunny race. I ended up looking like a burnt lobster (not enough sunscreen) and probably walking a bit like one too..
James H CahillApr 27 2014, 9:57pmGreat race today. A really enjoyable route designed by Gareth. Thank you Gareth and all your volunteers (Ger L, Ger P, Juju, Mick, Nora, Paddy and Richard) for a really enjoyable day in the hills. Short video of the day and the route here : http://youtu.be/HKwpEjX0DJ4
Daniela BoehmApr 27 2014, 10:01pmBeautiful race!!! Thanks a mil to Gareth and his helpers, who got everything right - even the weather :)
Gareth LittleApr 28 2014, 11:10pm
I was wrecked today and I was not even running the race, I can only imagine how the rest of you feel!!

Thanks to all who came out to make it a great event. It coud not have been pulled off without the great help from Richard, Ger, Mick, JuJu, Paddy, Nora and Ger so thanks again to them.

I have a Harvey's map if anyone's lost one?

Thanks,

Gareth
Sam ScrivenApr 29 2014, 12:13amGreat event and great day all in all.

Thanks Gareth and all the volunteers.

Short race report posted.

I left a pink imra top behind me if one turns up
Niamh O CeallaighApr 29 2014, 7:59amThanks so much for a great race Gareth. Great route.
The map is mine, there should also be a compass and whistle. If you see Dad you might give them to him.
Thanks a mil.
NIamh
Moire O'SullivanApr 29 2014, 3:42pmThanks again to Gareth and the team for putting on a cracking race on Sunday.

Quick race report now up showing how,for once, the real race on Sunday was amongst the women :)