Irish Mountain
Running Association

Stone Cross to Lug Relay

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Colm MoranMay 22 2014, 12:41amI cannot wait for this. 3ROC for gold.
Brian O MurchuMay 22 2014, 2:01pmAm thinking of doing this solo, any others considering this?
Filip FilipovJun 20 2014, 12:44amI am considering soloing this. It seems like a good workout for the Dublin Marathon.
Alan AylingJun 20 2014, 11:42pmDid the solo last year, so did Gareth Little, Mike Jordan & Pol O'Murchu. A classic. Though we had perfect conditions - even the Black Bog of Eternal Damnation (Barnacullian Ridge) was dusty dry. Zoran & Brian Caulfield did it the previous year in horrible weather and all manner of mud and shite underfoot.

3ROC for gold is it? Sounds like a call to arms for GEN and CNOC... ;-)
Alan AylingJun 20 2014, 11:42pmDid the solo last year, so did Gareth Little, Mike Jordan & Pol O'Murchu. A classic. Though we had perfect conditions - even the Black Bog of Eternal Damnation (Barnacullian Ridge) was dusty dry. Zoran & Brian Caulfield did it the previous year in horrible weather and all manner of mud and shite underfoot.

3ROC for gold is it? Sounds like a call to arms for GEN and CNOC... ;-)
Rob McEvoyJul 13 2014, 8:30pmIs this race pre-entry or entry on the day? You can add Cork Orienteers to that list of contenders :)
Kevin O'RiordanJul 13 2014, 8:59pmPre-entry but it doesn't look like there's a race director yet so no-one to send the entries to :)
Kevin O'RiordanAug 22 2014, 11:59amHi guys,

I'm going to volunteer to organise things for this this year.

Please contact me at k.oriordan@gmail.com to get your team entries in. I'll send you an entry form and race rules. I'll expect a minimum of 6 teams to make the event worth everyone's time.

Solo attempts are allowed. We will have cut offs at 10:30am at Leg 1/2 changeover Sally Gap and 2pm at Leg 2/3 changeover Wicklow Gap. I would prefer if people didn't start early. If you really want to do the solo attempt and feel you *have* to start early to make the cut offs, then arrive and take your own time then give it to someone at the end. I'm not committing to being there extra early in the morning to take your time :) Definitely no early starts for teams, it's a race after all. There'll be mass starts later in the day if teams end up too far spread out.

The solo attempt will be self supporting though if you give me food/water at the start, I'll endeavour to get them to the changeover points.

I'll need an extra volunteer or two to take times at the changeover points. These can be running volunteers say if you were a Leg 1 runner and you wanted to take times at the leg 2/3 finishes.

There will probably be a BBQ at Fenton's courtesy of IMRA so worth your while making your way to the finish to cheer your team in and take part in the atmosphere even if you're only doing an early leg.
Kevin O'RiordanAug 25 2014, 3:46pmTwo teams entered so far:

Karen Devaney, Alison Underwood, Miriam Maher
Mike Long, Aonghus O'Cleirigh, Eoin Syron

And one solo runner:

Maike Jeurgens (early start 6:30am).

Can remaining teams get their entries in by the weekend please? (Not too pushed on solo runners getting their entries in, just want to make sure there are enough teams to make the race worth running).
Conor ShortAug 27 2014, 7:44pmLooks like CNOC won't be able to make a team this year...
Farrant StuartAug 27 2014, 11:01pmNeed a third person to make a team. Anyone interested? Stuart
Dallas BairdAug 28 2014, 9:24pmHi Stuart. I'd be interested in doing one of the legs. Give me a shout at dallas dot baird at the gmail...
Kevin O'RiordanAug 29 2014, 4:08pmHi guys,

I need two extra helpers to take times at the end of each leg. These can be running helpers.

Kevin.
Mike JordanAug 30 2014, 2:45pmKevin, I'll give you a hand with the leg handovers. I can run a leg or 2 if someone is short for a team. Preferably leg 2 or 3. Mike
Jason DowlingAug 30 2014, 4:07pmNeed a third person to form a team. If interested, could you drop a mail to jason dot a dot dowling at gmail.com.
Rachel CinnsealachAug 30 2014, 10:06pmThere will be a BBQ after this event, so can people please bring Salads!
Kevin O'RiordanSep 1 2014, 1:49pmHey guys,

As of today I only have 3 definite teams and 1 tentative. Going to need more entries before it's worth the while having volunteers standing around for a few hours at the changeovers. Can people let me know by end of today what their plans are so I can make a decision on whether to go ahead?

Thanks,
Kevin.
Val JonesSep 1 2014, 2:17pmI'd like to do leg 1 - I did legs 2 and 3 on the last 2 years. Anyone out there fancy leg 2 or 3 this year. Email me valjone at gmail
Kevin O'RiordanSep 1 2014, 10:14pmHi guys,

Mass starts for teams will correspond with solo runner cut off times.

10:30am for Leg 2
2pm for Leg 3.

Justin Rea has volunteered to do times at Leg 1/2 changeover.

Need someone to cover Leg 2/3 (Wicklow Gap) from 1pm until last runner (estimate 2:30pm based on previous years' times) and someone to cover finish (Fenton's, Glen of Imaal) from 1pm until 2:30pm.

Current state of entries is on the Event details page.

Kevin.
Farrant StuartSep 1 2014, 10:43pmHey Kevin. I emailed a team to you on Saturday but it's not showing on your list. Other team members are Dallas Baird and Tom O'Dwyer. Cheers. Stuart.
Rachel CinnsealachSep 1 2014, 10:53pmHi folk's,

I know of two teams looking for runners so can you contact me, if you'd like to run a leg. rachelcinnsealach at gmail dot com

Also there will be a BBQ after the event, so please bring salads/cake :)
Stuart ScottSep 1 2014, 11:25pmHi Kevin, can you put me down for a solo attempt please with the emphasis strictly on the word attempt!

Also, does anyone have any wood for the bbq please? It can be any old garden waste but ideally dry and not full of harsh chemicals (nice chemicals are fine).

Thanks,

Stuart
Kevin O'RiordanSep 2 2014, 3:30pmCool,

Have enough teams for event to go ahead now. Still appreciate a couple more though just to give everyone decent competition!

Have Justin to do leg 1/2 changeover times and Mike to do leg 2/3 changeover times. Just need someone to cover for an hour or so at end of leg 3 in case I don't make it there on time for the faster teams.

Was just thinking, if solo runners are giving me kit bags to transfer between legs, it would make sense to label them with your names. That way if I'm moving on and handing over to a helper, I know what kit bags need to go to next leg and what ones should stay with helper.
Mike LongSep 2 2014, 3:51pmI am running Leg 1. Would there be anybody travelling from Leg 1 start to Leg 2 start who could transport my car?
Thanks
Mike
Mike dot Long at ucd dot ie
Laurence ColleranSep 3 2014, 10:17amI have 2 seats available back to Dublin after the race if anyone needs a lift. see carpool section.
Raghnall O'DonoghueSep 3 2014, 11:22amHi, I was thinking of doing this solo but am trying to figure out how to get back to a car at the start or get my car to the finish. Does anyone want to arrange a shunt on the morning of the race/organise a carpool from Fenton’s back to the start/take my car for a spin to the finish. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks
Raghnall
Rachel CinnsealachSep 3 2014, 10:43pmSo there are a few of us definitely staying down on Saturday evening, so that we can have a few pints. It could end up that it's just one or two of us and obviously the more the merrier, so feel feel to join us.
Don't forget to bring Salads and cakes!

We still need to contact Fentons, has anyone got a ph no for them? I rang 045404711 today, and it wouldn't connect at all!
Eoin SyronSep 3 2014, 11:55pmHi I am also looking for some logistic help,

I am running leg 3 and looking for someone to drive my car to the end. In return, I can give someone a lift to the start of leg 2 and give people a lift back to Dublin from Fentons (post BBQ)

Eoin
Mike JordanSep 4 2014, 9:41amFAO Solo Early Starters - Jim Breyfogle & Rob O'Neill
Not sure if you guys have support organised on the day but if not I can take a dropbag with water, food and a change of clothes to the Sally Gap and make sure it goes to the Wicklow Gap after. I'll be bringing Maike to the early start and recording your start times (be it 6:29 or 6:37!) and then heading to the Sally Gap to run Leg 2 so its no trouble.

FAO All Solo Runners:
Congratulations! You're in for a great challenging day out in the hills. I've done it solo the last 2 years in very different conditions each time. It will be interesting to see if a race develops this year as last year 3 of us just ran in a group all the way.
Here's my (unsolicited) advice:
1) Treat it as a long day in the hills and not as a race. Its just over 50k with over 2000m of climb. Feeling tired going up a hill? Don't worry there's always another downhill coming up!
2) Pre-mark your map. All those minutes saved on the summits adds up. Also by marking the map you're studying it again and this will help memorise it.
2b) Don't race blindly off that summit. Check that bearing!
3) Plan your nutrition and your aid stops. You're 10 minutes from the Sally or Wicklow Gap - what do I need to do when I get there? Water, food, extra layer, gone. Don't hang around. Grab what you need and start walking up that next hill.
4) Break the route down - Next hill. Next col. Next featureless blanket bog.
5) Be ready for bad weather/visibilty. The mandatory kit list is missing from the event page but it will be the same as last year I'd imagine:

a. Map
b. Compass
c. Whistle
d. Water (500ml min)
e. Emergency food
f. Mobile phone with IMRA emergency number
g. Rainproof coat
h. Head Cover (cagoule with hood or hat acceptable)
i. Foil blanket

6) Adapt. Nav error? Correct it and move on. Heavy rain? Moving will warm you up. Planned on doing it alone and someone is right behind? A bit of company is good for morale! (Or try to burn them on the next downhill)
7) Walk up. Run down. (This will occur naturally over time.)

Best of luck all and I'll see ye out there!
Rob O'NeillSep 4 2014, 12:31pmHi Mike - Thanks for these tips. My support was going to consist of carrying food and water myself and drinking from streams if necessary... So if you can take a bag for me, and you're sure that it wont put you out that would be excellent. I'll see you on Sat morn. I'll have a car at fentons for anyone that requires a lift back to sally/wicklow gap. Thanks Rob
Rachel CinnsealachSep 4 2014, 1:50pmpub sorted, Fentons are expecting us down and happy for us to have a BBQ.
Karen DevenneySep 4 2014, 2:28pmFor anyone thinking of staying down, there is a hostel down the road. Cost is €22 per person but they will only open for a minimum of 10 people. I know a few people are interested...can you post here or contact Rachel directly if you do want to stay and make a night of it
Alan AylingSep 4 2014, 8:02pmAnyone driving from Fentons to the race start on Saturday morning?!
Rachel CinnsealachSep 4 2014, 8:31pmFenton's, were loving the idea of us coming down for the evening,. The owner was so excited, he was getting music in and all for us, I had to then inform him, that it may only be 3 or 4 of us staying down. It would be great to have a few more stating.

rach.
Kevin O'RiordanSep 4 2014, 9:52pmSure, I'm on for staying down
Pól Ó MurchúSep 4 2014, 11:05pmYep I'm up for staying down should be good craic of we get a few...
Maike JürgensSep 5 2014, 11:11amto the other early starters: i checked the amount of light this morning at 6.30 and it seemed like a headtorch might come in handy for that foresty stretch at the start.
Rob O'NeillSep 5 2014, 2:15pmThanks for the tip Maike, not sure I want to carry the torch all the way to the finish though! - Do you know which forest entrance we are starting from - as far as I remember there are two entrances within 500m of each other leading to Seahan, and grid ref O 075 205 just falls off my sheet 56 map.
Farrant StuartSep 5 2014, 3:00pmHi. Do all runners need to be at the start to register or can they sign in further along the route? Stuart
Kevin O'RiordanSep 5 2014, 3:29pmHi Stuart,

It's okay to sign in later along the route, only leg 1 and solo runners need to be at the start.

Kevin
Raghnall O'DonoghueSep 5 2014, 4:22pmAlan, I can drive up to Fentons and collect if you can drop me back to my car at the start after the race. Unfortunately won't be able to stick around for the bbq. Let me know if this works, if so mail at raghnall at gmail to arrange.

Raghnall
Maike JürgensSep 5 2014, 6:06pmHi Rob, according to the event page, that s the correct start. i have east west maps for all the way, so you can tag along till you are on your map.
Alan AylingSep 5 2014, 10:07pmRaghnall, thanks - I am sorted for a lift.
Alan
Kevin O'RiordanSep 7 2014, 1:55pmResults up here: https://www.imra.ie/ad-hoc/LugRelay2014.xls
Maike JürgensSep 7 2014, 7:27pmrace report up. thanks to all volunteers and everyone involved in making it a great day.
Gareth LittleSep 7 2014, 8:25pmIt's hard to see how the course record will ever be beaten! 4 hours 32 minutes and 38 seconds
Miriam MaherSep 8 2014, 7:13amFantastic report Maike - very well done.
Maike JürgensSep 8 2014, 9:31amgreat report you wrote yourself Miriam! :)
Rob O'NeillSep 9 2014, 8:02pmRace report uploaded. Thanks Kevin and all involved in organising.