Irish Mountain
Running Association

Howth Winter

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Mark QuinnJan 4 2013, 3:45pmHi, I'm hoping to go round the route in the morning. Can anyone tell me which way the route goes i.e. to the aerial first or Deerpark hill? Is anyone planning to run it tomorrow? Mark
Mark QuinnJan 4 2013, 4:06pmSorry that should read Hpwth Winter route. mark
Gerry BradyJan 4 2013, 5:46pmI copied the route instructions from the 2011 page to make it easier. You go to Deerpark before the masts. Note a few fallen trees have to be checked.
Aidan HurleyJan 4 2013, 6:06pmMark, what time in the morning are you planning? Was thinking of heading up but if I do, it'll still be dark! (aiming to run at about 7am)
Mark QuinnJan 4 2013, 6:26pmThanks Gerry.

Cheers Aidan, I don't mind the early morning just prefer some light. Thanks for the offer though.
Alan KilbrideJan 9 2013, 12:24pmHey,

Spurred on by some prompting from myself, herself is thinking of coming along on the winter league. She is a little unsteady on the rough terrain, will there be an early start for the 'less fast' people who want to walk the rough bits? I think there was in previous races? Hopefully there still is as it would make these events more accessible to the less experienced ;o)

Cheers,
Alan.
Richard NunanJan 9 2013, 2:31pmHi Folks,

As with last year there will not be an early starts at Howth - the route is short and with bottlenecks. In Howth this in my opinion a is the safer option for a beginner.

John Kelly71Jan 14 2013, 5:50pmHi

I have switched to non runner. I can do shadow laptop perhaps?
Jean O'NeillJan 14 2013, 7:02pmI can do running volunteer if required.
richard nunanJan 14 2013, 8:40pmJust a quick note on Sundays race @ 12:00pm. Registration opens @ 10:00am will close at 11:30am Sharp!!

The GAA CLUB Facilities are available for us to use this year.
The route is extreeeeeeeeemly Mucky in lower parts. We would recommend Fell running shoes.

POST RACE STRICTLY NO RUNNING SHOES ALLOWED IN THE CLUBHOUSE.

Parking is available to us in the grounds but there has been some changes so there isn't an ability to park on the grass as there has been on previous years.

Therefore one person occupancy cars will not be admitted to GAA club. Please collect runners from Howth Dart station and at car park opposite Mauds cafe on seafront. Alternatively park at Deerpark hotel and golf club and jog over to start (race passes just behind the hotel). There is no parking available on roads adjacent to GAA club. Give way to people out walking.

On the route itself be very aware of numerous rocks underfoot throughout the lap that could result in a nasty fall or a twisted ankle. In Deerpark, the summit rocks can be slippy while the forest trails are mucky with tree roots and sporadic rock clusters creating dangerous underfoot conditions. Be watchful of head height branches.

Volunteers 9:30am
ciaran kellyJan 15 2013, 1:10pmCAR POOL - Hi folks, lift available to Howth on Sunday morning, 2 spaces, leaving from Lucan.

Ciaran
086 88 44 629
Warren SwordsJan 15 2013, 4:02pmAlso worth remembering that bikes are allowed on the DART on Sundays.
Jason MooreJan 15 2013, 5:38pmhi ciaran i will take a lift off you sunday morning,i will ring you saturday .jay
John ColemanJan 16 2013, 12:07pmHi Richard,
I'd be willing to volunteer to 'de-mark' the course on Sunday if still required? If so, should I volunteer under the 'Race marker' or the 'Helper' section?
John.
Richard NunanJan 16 2013, 12:26pmHi John,

Please put yourself down as a Helper. Gerry Brady is Marking the course.
John ColemanJan 16 2013, 1:33pmDone!
Gareth LittleJan 17 2013, 1:18pm
I have 3 seats available for this race but I have to leave early as I am helping out and I also have to leave straight after the race is over.

Thanks,

Gareth
Hugh HardiwomanJan 19 2013, 2:36pmIs the race still tomorrow?

Thanks
Richard NunanJan 19 2013, 3:56pmAccessing the GAA was clear of SNOW today. Watching how it goes tonight with an expectation of Frost but not snow. Race is still ON !!
Richard NunanJan 20 2013, 4:10pmThanks to all who raced today, 220 runners(70 new members) all making it back by 1:00pm made it an easy race to coordinate. Appreciated the silence that was held during the minugtes silence that was held for Mick Rice today.

220 runners with 90 Cars isn't a bad ratio well done to Jim and Gareth for enforcing the CarPool.

Thanks to all the volunteers today. Eoin Keith and Jimmy Synott getting our injured party down off the mountain. To Mary Colins, Gerry Brady and Will Smith for Marking, Marshaling and de-Marking the course. Melanie, Helen and Ger for manning the latop and Finish line and to Brian who hopefully learned how to do it next time himself next time...

See you all next week for the Snow Run :-)
Mark QuinnJan 20 2013, 5:28pmHi Richard,

I was one of the 70 today and just wanted to say thanks to you and all the crew for a great event. All very relaxed and well organised. Looking forward to the next event.

Mark
Brian O MurchuJan 25 2013, 4:51pmBelated race report up (they are much harder to write not having been an entrant!)