Irish Mountain
Running Association

Stone Cross to Lug - Relay

AuthorDateMessage
Lillian DeeganJul 21 2024, 1:18pmAfternoon everyone,

We are in the process of getting info’s updated for this event. Seeing the buzz about the Tucker in Glendalough yesterday was just the best! Fair dues to all who did the various legs about that race route. You all added greatly to the atmosphere for the ultra GTT folk heading back out each time on their next section along with rallying Relay leg runners for the next leg to close out the race route in jig time #Bravo!

With the above in mind, there was plenty of runners above on the Tucker that have the ability to take on Stone Cross even though it is a nav. race. I’m popping up links to Stone Cross race reports from recent years suggesting people have a look, consider getting out to do a few route recces and enter a Relay team - *See below for these. With the event date not till Sept. 21st, if ye start looking at the route now, you’ll be grand come gun time on race morning. Plus, our money man & Committee have ok’d for the entry cost to remain at €21 for a team of 3 - that gives you a pretty decent distance of a Relay leg outing for €7 AND we’ll include a really neat, specially designed t-shirt this year to mark your efforts. Spec. on this shirt is being worked on presently. I’ll get more details posted on this as soon as I have the design wrapped up on.

Lastly for now - If runners pull up the 2023 race link, using the history tab, we have a race booklet with loads of helpful info. about the event on there. I’m working on updating this for publishing on this year’s page at mo.

*Recent Stone Cross Solo race reports; (these will give you a great idea of what the whole route is like at various stages - you will only be doing one leg most likely).

2023 - Andy Keeling; https://www.imra.ie/events/report/id/2398/#1954

2022 - Brian Furey; https://www.imra.ie/events/report/id/2188/#1857

2021 - Andy Keeling;
https://www.imra.ie/events/report/id/2082/#1765
Lillian DeeganJul 21 2024, 1:47pmAlso for mention for the 2024 SCTL event - We have dropped the need to have race day hopefuls send through nav experience prior to entry.

We are asking that if you wish to race this one - you get out on the route to see how you can manage with a map and compass. This race does not allow for fancy arm candy (watches) or device use of any kind bar a map & compass during the event.

The only GPS jazz help you’ll get to have is from a lovely proper old school map of the race route. In the race booklet mentioned in my last post, you will find lots of mapping bits detailed to give you an overview of what’s what.
Lillian DeeganJul 27 2024, 6:52pmOn the back of today’s Irish Champs race on Lugnaquilla, I’ve booked our post race food from Fenton’s for Stone Cross. The smell in the car park of chipper like kinda food was just too good to let go.

On here to also mention we’ve a few people looking to make up Relay teams. I reckon popping up your name here would be an idea. I’ll move your name over to a WhatsApp group where folk can make shapes for team formations.

Plus, Alice Clancy has offered to get a few recces in motion - many thanks Alice ;) We’ll get a group chat going and take all from there. If members want to join in, drop your name on this page and I’ll add you in.
Avril ChallonerJul 29 2024, 9:29amThanks Lillian. Alice I'd be game for joining on a few recces between now and the race!
Alice ClancyJul 29 2024, 9:50amThanks for setting this up Lillian and for all the encouragement!!! Great idea to enable people to form relay teams via the whatsapp group too…

Anyone who is interested, this relay is great fun, with epic runs across the boggiest and wildest parts of the wicklow mountains…lured on by the promise of chips in Fentons!…..it would be great to get a good few teams entering this!!!

To that end, I’m going to organise some slow pace recces of each leg over the weekend of 24/25 August (legs 1-2) and on 1st Sept (leg 3)…All welcome! the pace on each recce will be slow jog/fast hike pace to get the navigation sorted…. The nav isn’t too complicated once you’ve recce’d it and got a sense of the terrain….and the bogholes…!

On the weekend of 24/25 there will be the added bonus of the imra social on the Sat night in between recces for more detailed discussions of route choices too!

Ps Avril, great to hear you'll join the recces! Although it will be more me learning from you!
Paul KellyJul 29 2024, 10:24amThanks Lillian, nothing like the smell of chips to lure you off the hill....

@ Alice - I'm doing the solo but definitely game to join in the reece's. Need to get some mountains back into the legs.. No run May blurred into no run June and a bit into July! :-) So I need a shock to the system. haha I'm the pinnacle of don't follow me I make bad life choices....
Andy KeelingJul 29 2024, 11:13amI'm going to pencil in a nav recce of leg two (Sally gap to Wicklow gap) for Sunday 1st of September. It's open to everyone to join in and we'll adjust the pace to suit the group. If you're interested in joining give me a text on 0 ate tree ate 9 too won six 5 ate nice and early so we can make a plan. We can get a WhatsApp group going from there. Cheers
Rachel HarneyJul 29 2024, 12:01pmYes please Lillian, for the recee group.
Elaine CaseyJul 29 2024, 12:01pmHi all, I'd be interested in leading from the back on the recces, can you please add me to any WhatsApp groups oh ate sevn 6 tree sevn 6 oh fyv tree. Ta muchly.
Sean Sheridan-O'GormanJul 29 2024, 12:50pmHi guys, definitely up for recce :). I'll hide in the middle and draft...

If I could be added to the WA that would be class, thanks. oh ate tree ate cix tu sevn sevn sevn fyv

Cheers,
Seán
nicola clearyJul 29 2024, 2:01pmI'd definitely be up for a few recces too! Thanks Lillian, Alice and Andy!
Patrik AlbertssonJul 29 2024, 6:57pmCan you please adme to WhatsApp group for Reece.
Laura FlynnJul 29 2024, 8:26pmI’d love to join a team . Thanks for organising Lillian, Alice and Andy. I’m happy to be added to WhatsApp group.
Robert CostelloJul 29 2024, 11:18pmGreat idea folks. Please add me to the WhatsApp group Zero Eight 7 six 3 six 4 zero 1 four. Thanks
Richard FoxJul 30 2024, 11:46pmHello Lillian/Alice. Will you please add me to the recce group. Thanks so much for organising.
Cheers
foxy
Richard FoxJul 30 2024, 11:47pmOops sorry I’m at 087 9155320
Cheers
foxy
Niamh O'CeallaighJul 31 2024, 9:40amMe too please Alice. thanks
Christopher WilloughbyJul 31 2024, 8:48pmCould I be added to the WhatsApp too please? Oh ate seven 9 won 7 six ate 9 seven.
Brendan DelaneyAug 19 2024, 5:54pmHi Lillian, Alice, could you add me to the WhatsApp group, please? I’m interested in running any leg. Thanks.
Brendan Delaney - 087 7544814
Terry LawlessSep 2 2024, 6:36pmHi Guys.
Could I be added to the what's app group for this race please. If anyone has space on a team for a leg 2 runner, I would be delighted to take part. Did that leg last year.
Terry
Eoin SyronSep 6 2024, 1:25pmHI,
I would love to join a Relay team if anyone is looking for a runner.
Happy to do any of the legs.

Eoin