Irish Mountain
Running Association

The Benefits of Publishing Race Entry Lists

AuthorDateMessage
Jason KehoeJun 29 2024, 5:26pmHey all,

As a race director you have visibility of every race entrant after they purchase an entry on the event 'Entries' tab. I believe publishing the race entry list before an event (to everyone OR just to all volunteers and race entrants) would offer several benefits to IMRA:

1. Carpooling and Travel Arrangements:
Coordination: Participants can see who else is attending from their area and coordinate travel plans, potentially sharing rides to reduce costs and areas with low parking.
Cost Savings: Carpooling can significantly reduce travel expenses for participants.
Environmental Impact: Fewer cars traveling to the event can reduce the overall carbon footprint, contributing to environmental sustainability.

2. Competition Insights:
Strategy Development: Knowing who the competitors are allows participants to strategize based on their knowledge of others' strengths and weaknesses and race history.
Motivation: Some participants might be more motivated to train and perform well if they know they will be competing against specific rivals or well-known competitors.
Level of Competition: It helps entrants gauge the level of competition, which can be useful for setting realistic goals and expectations.

3. Event Promotion and Spectator Engagement:
Increased Interest: A published entry list can generate buzz and interest among spectators, especially if it includes notable or popular competitors.
Better Planning: Spectators can plan their attendance based on which competitors they are interested in watching.
Media Coverage: Media outlets can better prepare their coverage and promotions, leading to increased publicity for the event.

4. Organizational Benefits:
Logistics Planning: Organizers can better plan for the event logistics, such as parking, accommodations, and other facilities, based on the expected number of participants.

5. Community Building:
Networking: Participants can identify and connect with other attendees before the event, fostering a sense of community and camaraderie.
Shared Experiences: Knowing who will be there allows participants to coordinate meetups or social activities, enhancing the overall experience.

6. Safety and Emergency Planning:
Medical Preparedness: First aiders can plan medical support based on the number and demographics of participants.

7. Preparation for Participants:
Gear and Equipment: Participants can better prepare their gear and equipment if they know the competition and the conditions expected at the event.
Mental Preparation: Knowing the competition can help participants mentally prepare for the race, which is an important aspect of performance.

Please add your thoughts!

Jason
Enda CloakeJun 29 2024, 5:59pmSounds good to me. If I see that Daire Finn or Matthew McConnell are registered I can stay at home.
Peter O'FarrellJun 29 2024, 6:41pm30 of the finest souls are entered for Nephin in the morning.
The iron rule of seat allocation would suggest that 27 or less actually race.
The somewhat more.....fluid....rule of a BBQ evening the night before suggests more than 3 will fall away :)
Brian MullinsJun 30 2024, 1:24amNope. This is not a good idea.
Gaelan ElliffeJun 30 2024, 8:00amThe many benefits outlined above make a good case for it.

Overall I don't think it is a good idea for privacy, safety and data protection.
Conor MurphyJun 30 2024, 8:22amSome.benefits are more important than others.

I think we can discount the spectator and media angle. This is IMRA. We don't have a PRO, the social media presence is very poor, RTE, national newspapers, regional radio stations etc. don't know we exist. If you mention trail or mountain running, most people.will respond with "Quest and Gaelforce?". Outside the IMRA community, there is no "buzz".

On the other hand, 1 is compelling. Carpooling...every single.step that reduces our carbon footprint should be considered.