Irish Mountain
Running Association

Trail Criú Proposal to IMRA

AuthorDateMessage
Maggie LawlerJun 26 2024, 8:13amDear IMRA Community,

I hope this message finds you well.

I am posting as a Trail Criú committee member. Many IMRA members are familiar with our group, meeting us on trails and participating in kit drives. All of your support is greatly appreciated.

Yesterday, we presented a proposal that we believe can significantly enhance inclusivity and diversity within our trail running community. Our proposal includes:

Sponsorship of Free Race Entries: Covering race entry fees for refugee participants to remove financial barriers and increase participation.

Establishment of an Inclusion and Equity Fund: Supporting underrepresented groups through voluntary contributions at race registration.

Organisation of an Inclusive Trail Running Event: Highlighting the visibility and participation of the refugee community in a dedicated event.

Over the past 12 months, my co-founders and I have made several of the suggestions included in the proposal to the IMRA committee.

It's important to note that IMRA isn’t an events organiser but the governing body responsible for enhancing the sport of trail running in Ireland. IMRA is not mandated to charge fees, making it even more feasible to support initiatives that remove financial barriers to participation.

I’m posting this here so that the membership who are interested can stay updated, as the IMRA committee does not issue their meeting minutes. Transparency and member engagement are crucial, and I hope this platform serves as an effective way to keep everyone informed.

If you’d like to read the detailed proposal or stay updated on our progress, please feel free to contact us directly at trail.criu@gmail.com.

Your feedback, support, and participation in this initiative would be invaluable. Together, we can make a significant impact and ensure that our trail running community is open and accessible to all.

Best regards,
Maggie & Trail Criú Committee
Conor MurphyJun 29 2024, 1:23pmI trust the lack of a response indicates that there is no opposition to any of the points made by Maggie, rather than no interest. After all, the issues she raises involve the future of the sport. We see diversity and inclusion across all sports now, including track and field. It will happen on our trails and mountains too, and Trail Criu deserve huge credit for leading the way.

I have said it elsewhere, but it's worth repeating. The initiative shown by Trail Criu, Maggie, Alicia and others, the low carbon race organised by Peter O'Farrell, Niamh O'Ceallaigh reaching out to include runners with disabilities, these are very exciting developments that all IMRA members should support. A very simple step would be for IMRA to encourage everyone o like and share Trail Criu's Facebook page and see what they are doing.
Conor McElroyJul 1 2024, 11:20amSounds like a an interesting and worthy initiative Maggie.

I'm down to RD the Glanageenty series on 14th December - I'd be happy to combine this into the race day

We will have a 3rd race that day also - a 5km so most all abilities will be catered for

We can do a local gear drive in the run up to the event aswell.

Anecdotally a friend of mine recrntly got speaking to some refugees outside a local direct provision centre - they report being very bored most days.

So she knew that there was a local coastal rowing club nearby looking for members.

Anyway she brought some of the residents at the DP centre to come down to the rowing club and they hit it off, even taking part in a regatta shortly after.
The rowing club were delighted to have them!
Maggie LawlerJul 2 2024, 2:51pmThank you Conor, that sound great. Hopefully we can arrange something IMRA the organisation will support the initiative.
Maggie LawlerJul 10 2024, 8:06pmDear IMRA Community,

I hope this message finds you well.

Two weeks ago, I sent a proposal to the IMRA committee outlining an initiative from Trail Criú to enhance inclusivity and diversity in our trail running community. Unfortunately, I have not yet received any response or even an acknowledgment that they received it. I understand it is summer holiday time, but it would still be appropriate to reply to that effect. I wanted to update you all on this for the sake of transparency and to keep a record of the communication, as the committee's meeting minutes are not published.

If you have any questions or would like more details about the proposal, please feel free to contact me directly at trail.criu@gmail.com.

Best regards,

Maggie Lawler
Trail Criú Committee & IMRA member
Miriam MaherJul 10 2024, 8:20pmGood evening Maggie,

I'm very surprised to read your post. I was copied on Louis Mullee's first reply to your email on June 25th, which was the day we received your proposal.

When you queried on Monday of this week if we had received your proposal, he replied again, with an update and also and referenced his initial response. Again, I was copied on the emails.

You might want to check your spam folder for his replies as your assumption that you have not been acknowledged is not actually the case.

Best regards

Miriam
Maggie LawlerJul 10 2024, 8:48pmThank You Miriam, I have found it in the spam. I look forward to hearing your response to the proposal.
Maggie LawlerJul 31 2024, 3:05pmDear IMRA community,
I hope you are all well.
For anyone interested in staying up to date with the Trail Criú proposal to IMRA you are welcome to email trail.criu@gmail.com to know more about how this is going.
Thanks,
Maggie
Warren SwordsJul 31 2024, 3:26pmSure post it here where we can all stay up to date "for the sake of transparency."

It's already been demonstrated on this very thread that it's a much better way to communicate as Miriam Maher was able to correct you that IMRA had indeed responded to you.
Maggie LawlerJul 31 2024, 3:34pmNo thanks Warren, absolutely not geting into this with anyone who is't actually interested in it.