Irish Mountain
Running Association

Howth Summer

AuthorDateMessage
Phil behanMay 27 2024, 12:32pmHi folks, nearly 1 month to go to this event. Myself and Jo Boyle have taken this on the past few years and in order for it to survive we are looking for a new RD to help out. I have done most of the background work on this,and will do Deputy RD on the night if required so it would be a perfect one for a newcomer looking for their first RD role. Let me know if anyone is willing to take it on and I can get in touch and bring you up to speed on what needs to be done on the night. Thanks all.
Laura FlynnMay 27 2024, 12:49pmI’ve put my name down to RD Phil. I’ll be grateful for your help as haven’t done RD for a year or more but I have done Howth in the past so I’m reasonably familiar. I’m travelling at the moment but back in Ireland next week so we might catch up then if that suits you.
Laura FlynnJun 6 2024, 6:08pmCan I be accepted as RD so I can confirm the volunteers please.
Thanks.
Laura FlynnJun 13 2024, 9:08pmWith less than two weeks to go to Howth I’m looking for a laptop operator and a few more volunteers please.
Thanks to all who have volunteered so far.
Laura FlynnJun 14 2024, 4:32pmWe’ll have an early start at 7pm
Laura FlynnJun 15 2024, 5:04pmMany thanks to all of you who have jumped in to volunteer. I’ll need a few more as ideally I want to have 8 Marshals out on the course as it have a few tricky junctions.
Brendan PollardJun 21 2024, 12:11pmive been keeping an eye for the last week or so and dont see this event on the SHOP to enter. Is entry closed?

Brendan
Kevin O'RiordanJun 21 2024, 12:15pmEntries will open Monday morning, Brendan
Joseph BoyleJun 21 2024, 4:18pmA few of us are going out in the morning for 09:00 to do a bit of housekeeping on the route. If you're a keen gardener we're meeting at the junction of Carricbrack Road and Old Carrickbrack Road. Where the entrance is to the trail up to Howth GC. My contact number is o ate 6 ate o 9 for 2 ate 3 if you're able to make it.
Joseph BoyleJun 24 2024, 12:32pmHi,
I just want to highlight some general points relating to the race on Wednesday that may be of use and also to put a call out for a few extra non running volunteers to assist with marshalling or registration duties.
Notes:
1. Parking available at 2 carparks near registration, the Summit and Carrickbrack Road. There is no parking on Windgate Rise or Windgate Road. Lots of parking available in the harbour for carpooling. There are 2 bus termini beside registration for routes 6 and H3. There is also the option of the Dart to the harbour and to get the H3 outside up to registration, if using a Leap card this should cost just €2 overall.
2. Route details are as per the map link on the IMRA website, and the following are some points of note around the course. The route takes in 3 peaks, 3 masts and a reservoir, so there’s plenty of variety. The course will be fully marked with turns noted by 3 markers close together before a turn on the side of the direction of the turn. Of note is the fact that you must pass the 3 mast fences, within 2m of them on your right, if you don’t pass the 3 you’ve gone wrong somewhere. These are all within the last 1kM of the race, so don’t be tempted to run to them until you should, as they’ll be visible from a lot of the route.
3. A couple of other housekeeping notes, if you enter Howth Golf Club grounds you’ve missed a turn so retrace your steps back to where you see marking again, you will not cross any public roads, there is however a section of pavement along Carrickbrack Road of about 700m and we ask that you try and stay on the pavement, if possible, for safety reasons.
4. Finally, there are 3 short sections where you run in both directions, so don’t be concerned if you see someone coming towards you.
Phil behanJun 24 2024, 1:45pmHi all, just to add to Jody's points above. Please run the marked route on the night. There is a lot going on with boundaries and public access ways in Howth right now so we might have a diversion or two on the night. Always follow the tape and for anyone unsure, 3 pieces of tape together signals a turn on the side its marked so keep that mind also and look out for markings to avoid going wrong. Last one from me, please do not park near the race start or go to the jax near any of the houses at the race start. Plenty of wild terrain up past the race start for that. Park as per directions on the event page and carpool of you can. See you all Wed and huge thanks to Laura Flynn for taking this one.
Laura FlynnJun 24 2024, 10:56pmAll RUNNERS please note the following TIMES:

Registration will open on Wednesday evening at 6pm and close at 7.15pm.
The race start is a 10 minute walk from registration so give yourselves plenty of time for parking, registration and getting to the start.
There will be an early start at 7pm.
The is meant for runners who expect to have a time which is 160% or more if the winning times.
Laura FlynnJun 24 2024, 11:07pmI’d ask all VOLUNTEERS to arrive around 5.45pm.
I’ll post up tomorrow allocating your roles. If you think you are going to be much later than this due to work or other commitments, if you could let me know by tomorrow I can take that into account when I’m giving out the jobs.
We plan to have 7 marshals on the course and Phil will bring you all to your stations from the registration area at around 6.20pm.
Unfortunately we’re missing the hi-vis jackets from the kit so I’d appreciate if everyone can bring their own.
Laura FlynnJun 24 2024, 11:09pmAnd RUNNERS, don’t forget your race number and the mandatory kit.
Laura FlynnJun 25 2024, 8:41amJUNIORS will start at 7.40pm

Anyone doing the Early Start or the Short Course ( which is also the Junior Course) please make sure to declare this at Registration. You can’t change your mind mid-race.
Laura FlynnJun 25 2024, 8:53amVOLUNTEERS

Please arrive 5.45-6pm with a hi-vis if possible.

I’ve assigned you all the following roles:

Marshalling:
Phil Behan
Jody Boyle
Val Jones
Finn Goggin
Rory Campbell
Rachael Cinnsealach
Connie Dottino
Dave Ryan
Colm Newport

Parking Marshall:
Zoe Melling
Aideen Burke

Meet and Greet and Early Start Coordinator:
Vivian O’Gorman

Numbers desk:
Elva Donnelly
Steve Griffin

Sign-in desk:
Sorcha Loughnane
Caroline Reid ( stand down at 7pm or earlier)

Finish line:
Sorcha, Zoe, Steve Griffin and Fin Goggin

Help with prize-giving:
Zoe Melling

Any problems, just send me a text.
Zero eight seven 74twozero79five
Laura FlynnJun 25 2024, 9:56amI’m adding Gareth Neville to the Marshalling team.
Thanks Gareth and apologies for omitting you earlier.
Alan KennedyJun 26 2024, 11:33pmThanks Laura, Phil and team for another great run around Howth. Marking was excellent and loved the changes from last year. Great grub and chats in Summit Inn after so thanks to the staff their too. And results up super quick again so thanks to Conor and all the team for organising the new timing tags! #SaveHowth
Laura FlynnJun 27 2024, 9:09amThanks to my volunteer team last night. It was my first RD in a while and I needed quite a bit of support which I got in spades.
To Jody and Phil for all the background hours putting the course together, tidying it, cutting back vegetation and setting off early yesterday to mark it.
Thanks Phil also for being my deputy RD, taking me on the course recce and organising the pub.
To Rowan and his lovely daughter for manning the first aid and taking care of the wounded.
To Daniel and Ben on laptop and Conor O’ Farrell for his support to them and to me and for always having a patient response to my many questions.
The marshalling team of Fin, Gareth, Rory, Rachel, Connie, Dave and Colm were essential and did a great job, despite one of the locals taking down some of our tape on a section. Thank you.
To Zoe and Aideen for directing parking at the Summit in and helping at the finish line.
To Vivian for taking charge of the early start.
To Elva and Steve on the numbers’ desk and also to Elva for allowing me use her fabulous Kia to charge up my phone.
To Sorcha and Caroline for manning the registration desk and also helping at the finish line.
To Susan for helping at the finish line ( sorry I omitted you in my first list Susan).
Thank you all and well done.
Joan RyanJun 27 2024, 9:45amThanks Laura and all the volunteers for a great night in Howth
Stuart ScottJun 27 2024, 12:31pmWell done Laura for the excellent organisation, as always. Not only was Howth enough of a challenge but you had to take on this weekend's Mweelrea, camping and food ordering as well!

Thanks to all volunteers, marshals and markers too. It was my first time on the new route and it was thoroughly enjoyable. I can see why the #savehowth campaign has been so successful!

Special mention too to Jody who kept popping out in different parts of the course like a little leprechaun. I think I passed him 6 times in total!
Alan KennedyJun 27 2024, 1:37pmSo there was only one Jody out there last night? Was sure he's brought his twin brother is popped up so often. Brilliant.

And never realised it was the same Laura organising Mweelrea, fair play Laura, hope that goes as well as last night did.
Anne HodgeJun 28 2024, 8:09amThanks all for a brilliant race on Wed. Very exciting varied route. Something for everyone!!
Phil behanJun 28 2024, 3:07pmThanks to Laura and all the team. There are a huge amount of issues in the area at the moment with public access and boundaries so naturally some of our markers got dumped in the hedges. Myself and Jody swept the course and remarked it twice - 10 mins before the early start ! Fair play to Jo in particular. Thanks to everyone for all the positive feedback and hope you enjoyed the new route. Things will change next year as most likely access to the reservoir will be gone, so we will look for new routes. Howth just keeps challenging us, being honest its a route markers nightmare but of course we will keep it goin as long as we can ! Great numbers back in the pub also. See you for the winter route.
Colin MurtaghJun 29 2024, 11:33amJust joiner IMRA & first run Trail Race ever (in Howth) on Wednesday. What a blast.
Superb organising by Laura and team. Course was tough (for beginner), but very doable, people so helpful, encouraging & friendly. Would highly recommend to others & will definitely do more.
Regards
Colin Murtagh
Aoibheann OBrienJun 29 2024, 12:13pmGreat race on Wednesday evening and thank you to all the volunteers. I’ve sent an email to the results email address, in regards to my result which has me down as short course, it automatically happens a few times due to me being a FJ, if someone could amend this for me I would appreciate it. My place was long course 5th female, 51.46, directly behind runner 2075 Annraoi Campbell.
Thanks in advance.
Jeff SwordsJun 29 2024, 9:45pmHi Aoibheann, I'm out of the country at the moment but got your email and will get to fixing it for you soon.
Jeff.
Aoibheann OBrienJul 1 2024, 3:47pmThanks Jeff, I see that’s done now