Irish Mountain
Running Association

Wicklow Round attempt

AuthorDateMessage
David DunneMay 25 2024, 10:41pmHi folks,
Am taking the plunge and making an attempt on a sub 24 hour wicklow round next Saturday morning 1st Jun @ 01:30am.
The itch is fierce.
Gareth LittleMay 25 2024, 11:52pmGood man, David. I hope it goes really well for you.
Sean ForsythMay 26 2024, 9:01amGood luck David, hope you smash it
Shane O'MalleyMay 26 2024, 9:31amBest of luck davey.
You will kill it.
Jim WalshMay 26 2024, 3:08pmBest of luck, mind that itch!
Avril ChallonerMay 26 2024, 4:10pmBest of luck!! Hope it all goes to plan :)
Graham K. BusheMay 26 2024, 11:27pmBest of luck. I hope all goes well for you.
Rachel CinnsealachMay 27 2024, 6:57amBest of luck. Enjoy the experience.
Rachel HarneyMay 27 2024, 9:42amBest of luck David!
Stephen BrennanMay 27 2024, 11:29amAll the best. You'll be well under 24 this time
Patrik AlbertssonMay 27 2024, 1:27pmBest of luck!
Thomas RocheMay 27 2024, 9:08pmGood luck Davey ;-)
Brian FureyMay 27 2024, 11:16pmBest of luck Davey
Alan KennedyMay 28 2024, 12:19pmBest of luck David.
And fair play for stepping up to do the laptop for PWS.
Maybe a distraction before Friday night?
David DunneJun 21 2024, 5:07pmFolks so to my disbelief I survived the virus from hell and am back on track for an my round.
Heading out 1:30 am so give me a holler if your out and about in Wicklow tomorrow.
Graham K. BusheJun 21 2024, 5:16pmGreat Stuff.
Best of luck.
Miriam MaherJun 21 2024, 5:21pmAh brilliant - best of luck David!
Lillian DeeganJun 21 2024, 5:37pmGreat to see this pop up again Davey. All the very best.
Alan KennedyJun 23 2024, 1:22amCongrats on the finish Davey, was pretty warm out there today.
Shane O'MalleyJun 23 2024, 9:57amFantastic result Davey.
Congratulations
Brian hutchinsonJun 23 2024, 9:58amWell done Davey!
Sean ForsythJun 23 2024, 8:05pmWell done Dave, great achievement
John MurrayJun 23 2024, 10:51pmGreat run Dave…congrats!
Patrik AlbertssonJun 24 2024, 8:57amCongratulations on a great run
David DunneJun 25 2024, 1:15pmThanks folks,
Amazing day out with just the best support.

My splits are as follows and will follow up with a brief report shortly.
CP 0 Start 01:30
CP 1 Kippure 02:06
CP 2 Carrigvore 03:03
CP 3 Gravale 03:29
CP 4 Duff Hill 03:55
CP 5 East Top 04:23
CP 6 Mullaghcleevaun 04:39
CP 7 Moanbane 05:54
CP 8 Silsean 06:12
CP 9 Oakwod a.k.a White Hill 07:49
CP 10 Table Mountain 08:46
CP 11 Camenabologue 09:02
CP 12 Lugnaquilla 10:01
CP 13 Corrigasleggaun 10:22
CP 14 Carrawaystick 10:42
CP 15 DrumGoff 11:26
CP 16 Mullacor 12:40
CP 17 Derrybawn 13:10
CP 18 Camederry 14:39
CP 19 Tonelagee 14:47
CP 20 Scarr 17:09
CP 21 Knocknacloghoge 18:50
CP 22 Lugalla 19:34
CP 23 Djouce 21:25
CP 24 War Hill 21:43
CP 25 Tonduff North 22:26
CP 26 Prince Williams Seat 00:17
CP 27 Knocknagun 00:34
Finish Finish 01:15
Graham K. BusheJun 25 2024, 1:39pmGreat stuff David. Well done.
David DunneJun 27 2024, 4:56pmWicklow round report 22Jun2024
Having initially set a date for my attempt in early June, I was forced to reschedule after falling foul to a nasty virus that literally floored me for a couple of weeks. Being under no illusion of the challenge that lay ahead and the need for every ounce of strength to get in under the 24hr mark I needed to be sure I was in the best health possible, so pushing out my date was a no brainer.

With the new date set I had the additional benefit of some extra daylight which I knew I would be glad of on the last leg. Starting out at 01:30 and parked and Kippure gate with Ryan my eldest son the clouds where low, the wind was up and the temperature justified a jacket, a pair of light over trousers, a hat and gloves. Typical Irish summer conditions. As we sat in the car waiting for the clock to strike 1:30 we made some general chit chat which helped take my mind of what was to come but I couldn’t help throwing my eyes on the clouds out in front and the fact that I could see Dublin city off to my right but had no visibility of the mountain that lay ahead.

The time arrived and with nothing to lose I set off and made my way up to Kippure mast in the ever disimproving visibility. The trail up is well enough defined and the lay of the land here is quite familiar but with the poor visibility the door was open for doubt to creep in particularly at moments where I did not recognise a section of trail. I thought I was off the line, but these impulses were quickly brushed off as I confirmed a marker, shape of the trail section or incline of the mountain over the next few paces. It was when I was only 3 or 4 metres from the trig point that I could see it and soon after I took my first time check and got moving. Initially I thought I was 2 mins over but thought that’s ok I’ll pull it back. It was at this point I decided for the safe option of the service road down to Sally gap, no unnecessary journeys through the fog would be required tonight as I had been bitten on a recce with similar conditions a few weeks previous and encountered a long long night out in the fog. This was something I did not want to repeat again. So, damage limitation was going to be the name of the game all the way over to Oakwood.

I had received 2 particular messages on the eve before I headed out on my round attempt that greatly influenced my success. One of them was “Bring a second lamp for low level lighting”, this was prompted due to the low cloud base that was in. I had always planed on bringing a backup but never really intended on using it, partly due to holding poles and checking my bearing list and setting a compass so it had always just seemed too much to manage. But this time I did, I was on for a challenging night, so I took that message as one of gospel and this act was a game changer, particularly compared to my previous night in these similar conditions.

The second lamp was such a game changer that I couldn’t understand why I had never done it previously, most likely due to my already mentioned flawed reasoning. I thought of all those other events like the Art O’Neill and the recces where I spent hours losing trail then finding it again due to the constant changing fog density and levels of light reflection, or having to stand still and wait for the fog to drift a little so that I could confirm my direction. In one way I was cursing myself but on the other hand I just wanted to shake Tom Roche for those fantastic words of wisdom.

I tentatively progressed from Sally gap after taking a time split and realising I was way ahead of schedule and needed to slow down or I would regret it. I kept moving but really worked on slowing the effort. The one benefit of having some minutes in the bank was the safety in knowing I can afford to make a small mistake which I was somewhat expecting given the conditions.

I ticked away the markers I had recorded along my route and continued to rise and fall to each CP, getting to Duff Hill there were signs of the darkness fading but the clouds were not lifting. I thought, no panic just keep moving, steady and remain aware of my surroundings as best possible. The confidence was building as I got up East top because the minor errors I was making were all being corrected quick likely due to not panicking and carefully remaining aware and monitoring my surroundings. Then it was over to Mullaghcleevan, time check and I was still holding that initial 20 mins I had gained. I took my bearing and began descending down towards Billy Byrnes gap.
While getting to the bottom of the steepest gradient I was now moving well and covering ground, it felt great, and I was on track with minutes in the bank. I spotted the trail around and followed it as it was like a carrot out front, sure how could you not run, ahh bliss just like trail runner heaven. Then I suddenly realised I’m too low. STOP, awh feck, a moment of panic set in. I missed my signal for my bearing. Dam it, that bloody trail I thought. I decided to make my way in the direction to where I thought I should be but after a short while the poor visibility prevented me from getting any confirmation on my markers, a bit of meandering around brought on a lot of concern of not making it. Awh dam, I thought that I’m done for.

That second message came to mind “Trust your bearing” but where the hell am I. Just move became one of my mottos for the entire event so that’s what I did, I moved. I recognised the change in vegetation and knew I’m in the right area just which direction do I go then I crossed a trail which I spotted with that second lamp! (Mind blown) followed the trail and it went up. SCORE, I thought have I made to Moanbane, I must have but then I realised this is too steep for Moanbane so thought it must be Mullaghcleevaun but I wanted to be sure it was the correct part of Mullaghcleevaun so I continued up until I could recognise something, anything, which I eventually did. Thank God for that, I stopped turned around blessed Paul O’Callaghan for sending that message and stuck to my bearings across to Billy Byrnes gap. Got to Moanbane with great relief and my time check had me back on my original schedule. What a ride, Phew. Steady now over to meet Dave O’Brien at the road near Balinagee bridge. Arrived bang on schedule, changed my soaked kit while Dave helped reload my food and water and I was off. The first thing I did when leaving Dave was see where the clouds where aas I wanted to know what was ahead of me. I could see the clouds were still rolling in from the east and based on the height I was defo going to encounter them on Luggnaquilla. No big deal the worst part is done, fog at night in west Wicklow is not for the faint of heart, I felt I had scored big.

I got up to Oakwood with no major drama and ticked off my markers until at one point where I had taken a distant sighting and headed towards it before the clouds came in again and I all of a sudden lost track of my way. Dam it, I kept moving and soon noticed the ground was drifting away to one side. I kept moving but adjusted my route. I couldn’t help but recall how quick and unintentionally I had done an about turn earlier on at Billy Byrnes gap so just as I was about remove my bag and take out my printed maps so that I could determine where I may be or how far off my route I am and which bearing I needed to take, the clouds cleared just enough. I could see the lakes, yes! not too far to go to get back on track. Headed on up to Table Mountain, time check & score I’m still on track. Take the bearing and move, a good undulating climb now all the way up to Luggnaquilla is what I thought. Just as I was approaching the final ramp to ascend Lugg, I met a small group of walkers one of which turned out to be IMRA’s very own Laura Flynn, we had a brief chat about weather conditions, route and poles & as ever I got great encouragement to keep going. I was eager to maintain the effort so ploughed on to the highest summit and ever closer to my next support point.

The fog was wearing on me now and I was feeling the effects of what I had just been through, all those minor adjustments and corrections take a toll, but I was determined to remain positive and leaned on all the experiences I had encountered in recces and preparatory events. Additionally, all those words of experience I had read in the many round reports and the challenges all those rounders had experienced where being recalled.
I got down to Glenmalure lodge in good time, the temperature was now starting to rise so the jacket hat and gloves could be dumped, and I relished the thought of getting to Glendalough. My amazing wife Hazel and her friend Audrey where eagerly waiting my arrival at the lodge, as ever such great positive energy and no messing about getting me sorted to return on my way. The wet ground all the way over from Sallygap had destroyed my attempts at protecting my feet and I was starting to feel the effects of the failings. So, a full change was required, I took the time as I knew it was needed. But in a flash, I was changed, wrapped, fed, watered and off, Buzzing. And with my favourite run along Derrybawn to come I was beginning to feel good; it took a while but I knew it would turn around.

Mullacor came and went, I relished the run over to Derrybawn and took it all in, took a time check and I was 10 mins down on my target. No big deal I’ll pull it back I thought, Mullacor climb was hot, so I had kept it steady all the way up.
Got to Glendalough carpark and as I made my way to start the climb up Camaderry I spotted standing at the wall none other than Tom Roche. Delighted to see him there and we chatted briefly before he sent me on my way agreeing to catch up shortly. I dragged myself up through the high ferns but thankfully the trail is well enough defined that I was not beaten too much by the growth, but what a climb, just hardship. What seemed like an age later I made it to Wicklow Gap where Martin Gilligan and Tom where waiting, fuel up and get going. Within no time I was off on my way, perfect. I had lost some more time at this stage and was a little confused at how so, but I heard the right words at a the right time and got moving again.

Up and over Tonlagee, brutal! but every second counts. Down to Glenmacnass carpark where Tom and Brendan Abbott where waiting. A super-efficient pit stop for refuel with more great words of encouragement got me back on track to Scarr. The dread of Knocknacloghoge was quickly approaching me and by this point I estimated I was 15 mins down on my target time. But still no time to panic, sure that would only take the joy out of being out in the fabulous Wicklow mountains with the best people possible supporting me. Just keep moving as every second counts.

Out and back from Scarr I got a sense of heading for home, but still a way to go, its “all in” there is no let up. Descending into Lough Dan and as I figured a way around the growth, I spotted a runner down below heading in my direction. It turned out to be Brian Hutchinson who was doing a final check ahead of his round attempt which was scheduled for a couple of days’ time. Brian walked with me for a bit, we chatted which took my mind of the climb I was about to take on, I was feeling the tiredness at this stage and wanted to get up and over Knocknacloghoge. There is an internal reluctance for me to make this ascent as it’s where my mental pain cave lies. The relentlessness of the heather & the ferns covered what would have been my route a few weeks previous. Awh just keep moving, find a way.
Brian’s positivity and encouragement sent me off on the right note, I got to the top and down to Cloghoge brook. A freshen up here was welcomed before I ascended up to Lugalla. Getting to Lugalla I was a little concerned about time, I had lost a little more time and thought I won’t stop at the road crossing as I really wanted to hit Tonduff in some daylight. When I reached Brendan Ryan at the road, I thought I was doing ok for time, I had pulled a little back so I could spare a few mins. I am gonna have to push hard anyway, I briefly thought about the pure & constant effort that has been required over the last 18 or 19 hours and that its not over until I get to that gate. The home stretch was approaching and every second counts.

Bren was right where we had agreed with Luna and as ever he did everything he possibly could for me. I was well fed and reminded of what I needed to do in order to get this final section completed in time. Eat he said, but I didn’t want to eat so he made me eat, here have tea he said, I wanted coffee & with sugar (I don’t take sugar), I drank the tea. I was not really thinking straight at this point and made a few decisions around kit that would later annoy me but remaining calm and adjusting as needed was the key.

It was Bren who had brought the round back on my radar after I had first read about in circa 2010 while scouring the internet for potential MTB routes around Wicklow. I came across a very detailed description of the terrain & I recall thinking to myself, now that just sounds like absolute murder, not a chance I would attempt it, but I was captivated. 10 years later Bren found a way to plant the bug with me and draw me in even after I most adamantly said No chance when he proposed it on one of our group runs with Tallaght AC. But together we made an attempt at the round almost 3 years ago to the day so today Bren was in a sense doing the whole thing again via the tracker, and text message updates between the crews.
Some health issues had prevented us getting in under 24 hours on that attempt, but I was determined on getting it done this time. Together we had spent relentless days out in the Wicklow mountains, in all conditions and at any opportunity. The sacrifices of families, kids, wives & even the pets. The scouring of maps, East West, google, Alltrails every source was scrutinised and analysed. Excel sheets coming out of our armpits with splits and estimated splits and potential splits. Gigabytes of photos with features and trig points and distant markers. It just goes on and on and on. A monster of a challenge and with our nemesis Tonduff yet to come I needed to move.

I left Bren and Luna and made my way to Djouce which was by now covered in fog, I was expecting that. And will be trusting my bearing, I got to Djouce after what felt like an age, over to War hill in a flash and down to the saddle, passed the post and on to the river. Then climb up up up, the fog was a problem. And for some reason I went slightly off my normal route! I don’t now why and was possibly due to the fact that I just wanted to get over the top and start descending. I hit the end of the hag I was following and could not see anymore; I thought go back go back. Then something told me to just wait a moment, or maybe I was just shattered, and it was easier to stop than to do anything else, but then the fog briefly cleared. I could actually see the hags that I wanted to see due to the remaining daylight, so I made my way over the top and descended. Visibility improved once I got below the clouds and I could see the tree line, yes, I’m going to get off this bloody mountain. I literally threw myself down but remained mindful on the number of times I had rolled ankles on this bloody mountain. I think most of my mountain related injuries occurred here, I finally got to the wall, down to the fire road, Yes, the relief but no time to hang around so I pushed down that fire road and out the gate. Crossed the Glencree river and ascended to Cloon carpark. Got there to meet Bren Ryan again and Graham Bushe who had made his way over to encourage me on over the final two summits. Graham had been on my mind earlier in the day as he had recently completed the original round route in similar tough visibility conditions. I had drawn strength from this over the day and it helped me to remain positive in my efforts while making errors and correcting them.

One more big push up to Prince Williams seat and I can make it home in time I just needed to push hard. Wrecked now and feeling it but every second counts.

A tough tough climb followed but I got there and checked the time, I can make it. Run, my second light came out to help with the fog and I could actually run (Tom you beaut). Knocknagun arrived and I smiled, but every second counts and got running again. Run run run, the trail over to where the teapot used to be seemed to go on for ever and at one point, I thought I missed the turn, I was looking right and left to try get an idea of the land but couldn’t see anything so I just kept moving as I knew no matter what I don’t have time to stop. A little bit of panic set in, I moved faster and then the turn signal appeared. Yes, go run run run, every second counts. I got to the road and realised that this is the only section I had not recced!

The horror of not truly knowing how long this could take was almost debilitating but I had not worked this hard to ease off now. I recalled that it was a mile, the mental calculations went into overdrive, so I ran like I was running a road race, come on legs I thought and they had it they were moving, amazing I thought. This distracted me for a bit but the panic was fierce, where is everybody, anybody I wanted a sign of life so bad but no matter what I was getting this done, just run. I felt like I was flying up that road and then Bren drove towards me in the van when I let a god almighty roar “how far is it to the gate” 800m he said. Relief, but the effort increased so I could be sure and get in before the 24hr mark. Almost simultaneously I could see car lights up ahead and hear Hazel whistling, yes, we made it. The gate came into view slow at first but nothing was going to stop me getting to it so I pushed on and got to it, touched it and then slumped over it. I am Done.

Hazel and Ryan, Audrey and Bren were at the finish, and I think we all felt the same way, what a rollercoaster of a day. Highs and lows, ahead of time behind on time, the fog, the wet, the cold then the heat. Mullacor, Camaderry, Tonlagee such massive climbs all so close together, that’s cruel. Knocknacloghoge, what a mean and relentless ascent, it gives you nothing. Tonduff, awh I got you I got you good, this time.

So many thoughts went through my mind as I sat into the car and my body started to react to what it had just gone through. But I was in good hands with the best & most supportive people you would want.

There are lots of people I’d like to thank for their help, mostly family, friends and previous rounders who, if you ask, always just want to offer help where they can, the great IMRA community. No matter what It certainly was a team effort with Hazel & our boys Ryan, Max & Luca, Audrey Timmons, the two Brendan’s, Dave O’Brien, Tom Roche, Martin Gilligan crewing me & Eoin Flynn for keeping me in tip top shape.

Also, thanks to Richard Nunan for assisting with getting the show on the road and Rowan at Primal tracking for supplying the tracker.

If you’re reading this and have not yet completed the round then you may already have got the bug and just don’t know it yet.

I once read “It’s definitely doable” & I can say that I do agree.

Davey
Jim HaideJun 27 2024, 7:29pmInspirational Davey. Massive congratulations on a great achievement.
Richard NunanJun 27 2024, 9:09pmGreat report Davey, thanks for bringing it back to life! Thaatvroad at the end must have been so mental ! Great attempt and great crew ! Bravo !
Richard NunanJun 27 2024, 9:09pmGreat report Davey, thanks for bringing it back to life! That road at the end must have been so mental ! Great attempt and great crew ! Bravo !
Laura FlynnJun 27 2024, 11:22pmCongratulations Davey. I’m chuffed to get a mention in your report, as close as I’ll ever get to Wicklow Round fame. You were flying when we met you. My friends, who are walkers, couldn’t believe it when I told them what you were doing. It’s pretty incredible alright.
Enjoy the rest.