Irish Mountain
Running Association

Bike and bus low carbon race Ticknock

AuthorDateMessage
Andy McGeadyMay 13 2024, 5:06pmJust a month to go until this one. I’m down as helper - can offer cargo bike to bring equipment up if needed :-)
Stuart ScottMay 13 2024, 6:34pmWill you carry runners? :-)
Dave DochertyMay 14 2024, 8:06amGood shout Andy. I can also offer a cargo bike.
Peter O'FarrellMay 14 2024, 9:53pmThanks lads. I can see this turning into the inaugural meeting of the Blue Light chapter of the hills angels (cargo) bikers association...

All bikes, busses, and feet that can get you to the event are to be encouraged.

Ideally we will use minimal equipment - the prizes are already virtual, but it's a great idea to distribute the necessary gear to the various cargo bikes earlier in the day, or on the Friday.
Daniel O'BrienMay 17 2024, 12:05amWill there be a Laptop? I can operate if needs be
Alan AylingMay 20 2024, 10:54pmWouldn't it be more in keeping with the Amish-style nature of the race to record results using pen and paper? ;-)
Peter O'FarrellMay 21 2024, 6:37pmThanks Daniel, a laptop would be great. It's good to get the results up early if feasible.

@Alan - it's Racelite, not Luddite :)

Tech is good, bulk is bad. So yes to laptop, no to sensor mat.

Mike Jordan ran a lap of the proposed course with me there recently and much like the man from DelMonte - he pronounced it.........good. Not great now, good.

Back in the day the whole universe of IMRA travelled in the back of an Opel Kadett. Races like this one should be feasible from the back of a bike so no offical new numbers on the night, no bottles of anything for spot prizes, yes to a good race in a great location and it's up to you how you sample the offerings that The Blue Light has on tap, in fridge and in an oven.
Dare I say it, local races for local people - all over the country.
Alan AylingMay 21 2024, 6:55pmIt was an Astra!
Martin BagnallMay 22 2024, 10:45amIs there a bus that goes to/close to the race location?
Mike JordanMay 22 2024, 11:33amDublin Bus route 44 will get you closest. Get off near Fernhill and walk up the trail at the roundabout from the Enniskerry Road to Barnacullia near the Blue Light.

The Blue Light is great and the route is good.
David PowerMay 22 2024, 12:01pmBus is the #44B rather than the #44 that you need. The 44 only goes via Stepaside village, which is a bit further away. No bus goes by Fernhill from what I know. The #47 goes from city centre via Irishtown, Stillorgan, Sandyford and finishes in Belarmine, below the Fernhill trail, which you could walk/run up. More frequent than the single #44B. Also a better option home as runs later.
See the Photos section for homemade map I made. A lovely warm-up if you go up that new trail, which is a just lovely. You find it near Fernhill Park entrance - but it's a bit too left near Burrow Road.

Bus #44B: 5.30pm from Dundrum, arrives at Blue Light (Barnacullia) before 6.00pm.
https://www.dublinbus.ie/getmedia/cc75a748-48a0-477a-999b-bf3a8e550159/Route-44b.pdf?ext=.pdf

Bus #47: from city centre to Belarmine. https://www.dublinbus.ie/getmedia/f92e6b27-78bb-4571-af5d-a77b4a707f4e/Route-47.pdf?ext=.pdf

Parking option - Fernhill Park, open til 9pm or 10pm I guess by June. Only 20-30 spaces maybe.
David PowerMay 22 2024, 12:02pmParking suggestion: use Ticknock car parks and jog across to the start - 10-15 mins. Or Stepaside village has a car park.
Rob TobinMay 22 2024, 12:28pmI'll be pedalling up to this one and could pick up other cyclists along the way. Anyone who's interested in joining can reply here or in the "Bike Bus" thread - https://www.imra.ie/forum/topic/id/6715.

With a nod to the race's location at The Blue Light and in keeping with the great Irish tradition of describing place and route with reference to pubs, my route will pass The Bird Flanagan, Leonard's Corner, Peggy Kellys, Vaughan's Eagle House, The Yellow House, The Eden House, Taylors Three Rock and Lamb Doyles. Option to loop home via Johnnie Foxes, The Merry Ploughboy and Buglers.
Martin BagnallMay 22 2024, 12:40pmThanks for the options, much appreciated.

44B is Monday to Friday only, so new trail it is!
Brian FureyMay 22 2024, 7:53pmLuas in ballaly dumdum is only 4k away from start (approximately). A good option.
Brian FureyMay 23 2024, 10:14amSorry dundrum of course!!! Wasn't referring to anyone in particular!!
Dave DochertyMay 23 2024, 10:31amAll great suggestions. Best use of the Luas is from Glencairn, pedestrian access through Sandyford Hall into Bellermine and the up the right of way trail at the burrow rd junction. About 2.8k ish. Pops you out on the Barnaculla rd, between two cottages, uphill from the Blue. Note: a headlamp might be required for return trip though the woods.
Peter O'FarrellJun 9 2024, 5:15pmEntries for this event are open, if you are thinking of entering please consider entering early as we are trying to organise with the pub to fit in with a busy evening for themselves.

Thanks to all who have volunteered for this event. We have enough volunteers now. Come and race instead :)

Also - please don't be put off by the no car parking at The Blue Light stipulation - feel free to drive to somewhere close and walk or job in to registration at The Blue Light.

The upper carpark in Ticknock, the carpark in Fernhill and various smaller nooks and crannies are all close by.
Alistair HodgettJun 11 2024, 9:10pmBumping this race up to remind everyone who hasn't entered yet that 1) this race starts and finishes at an excellent pub with great views 2) the course is officially "good" and on par with Wednesday night league races 3) it's low carbon meaning you can feel better about that time you didn't carpool.
Peter O'FarrellJun 12 2024, 10:32pmThe junior course at this event is approximately 3.5km. It takes in the first section of the course as far as the masts area and then comes back the same way.
Juniors under 10 years of age will need a parent or guardian to accompany them. Juniors under 6 unfortunately cannot run in this event but if we have a few hanging around we'll definitely put on a 600m "race" for them.
We'll have some food afterwards in The Blue Light. Eva has promised home baked shortbread as a prize.
Dillon RyanJun 14 2024, 8:01pmDo we need to bring the old chip tied to shoelace or is the new one we got on wednesday sufficient?
Peter O'FarrellJun 14 2024, 8:29pmWe will have very old and the very new on show tomorrow.
No need for the old chip tomorrow.
1 Conor O'Farrell will be running the new system again tomorrow.
4 others will have paper and pens.

Many pizzas afterwards in The Blue Light for the 54.
Keith TurnerJun 14 2024, 9:38pmHi,

Just wondering what time, from and to, is registration for tomorrow’s race please?

Am I right in saying from above that there’ll be no new numbers given out tomorrow?

Thanks
Peter O'FarrellJun 14 2024, 10:54pmRegistration is from 5pm at The Blue Light pub.

The race will start on a side road adjacent to The Blue Light and finish at the Quarry Entrance just above the Blue Light.

See you there. Thanks.
Peter O'FarrellJun 15 2024, 8:43amWe have the blank number plates to give you a number Keith.
Keith TurnerJun 15 2024, 8:55amCheers Peter,

Looking forward to the race :)
Sinead FlynnJun 15 2024, 3:24pmHey, just curious what people are doing with bikes if they are cycling there? Hoping there is somewhere to lock up around Blue Light.
Alistair HodgettJun 15 2024, 9:38pmA big thank you to Peter and his team of volunteers for a great Saturday night running around Ticknock. Great atmosphere and ample pizza at the Blue Light.
Rob TobinJun 15 2024, 11:50pmA toast to Peter and crew for this evening's low carbon, high octane trot around Ticknock. Thoroughly enjoyed the chats, pizza and pints back at The Blue Light, while eyeing up Howth (#SaveHowth) and the mountains of Mourne.
Keith TurnerJun 16 2024, 7:53amThanks very much to Peter and all the volunteers for some Saturday night fever in the hills. I really appreciated the low carbon ethos of the event and the opportunity to consider how deep a footprint we leave on this Earth.
Joan RyanJun 16 2024, 8:55amThanks Peter and all the volunteers for a great Saturday night run in the sunshine.
Gill McLoughlinJun 16 2024, 9:24amA big thankyou to Peter & his team for a great evening in the hills. Lovely route & really well marked. This is a super location for start & finish, and the Pizza & pints went down really well. I hope we see this on the calendar again.
Gerry LalorJun 16 2024, 9:42amThanks Peter and all the support crew for a fantastic event, terrific course and all made for a great evening.
First race with IMRA since 2019, and from my official result, I learnt you don’t cross the timing mat again to go back up to collect your bike!
Well done again to all, and loved the ethos behind this race.
Brian FureyJun 16 2024, 10:11amThanks Peter and volunteers. Nice little route. Well marked as well. Pizza for everyone after too. I swear I didn't eat all the pizza!!
Martin BagnallJun 16 2024, 1:10pmThanks very much Peter and all the volunteers, really enjoyable route and well organised.

Thanks also to those who patched me up at the end, much appreciated!
Gavan DohertyJun 16 2024, 11:27pmThanks Peter & the Low Carbon Crew, that was great fun.
Textbook perfect course marking, despite the twists & turns!
Thank you so much!
Dave DochertyJun 17 2024, 4:16pmMassive thanks to Peter and crew for organising a birthday race party for me. Can't wait for the next one. Race report up.
Peter O'FarrellJun 18 2024, 10:25amThanks Dave, a great report. Any more report writers out there? It doesn't need to be your birthday :)

Thanks again to all the runners, helpers and also Paddy and crew in The Blue Light for accomodating us on a very busy Saturday evening for themselves.
Alan AylingJun 18 2024, 11:49amBrilliant race reports Dave and Peter.

"Unlike the rest of Europe, we were not turning right".
Classic!
Dillon RyanJun 18 2024, 12:45pmVery good dave and peter!

Love the report - Ill be more wary going forward not to focus on the feet turnover of the runner in front of me leading me down a rabbit hole :).

Had I known it was your birthday, I'd of put taken the foot of the pedal!

Great night for it, lovely weather, what else would you be doing on a saturday evening?

Thanks to Peter & Volunteers!

*Hopefully no wrong turns on wobbly bridge!