Irish Mountain
Running Association

Route Marking Training Session - from the Blue Light

AuthorDateMessage
Peter O'FarrellApr 3 2024, 9:59pmNext Thursday the 11th April at 6.30pm I'm going to jog a lap of a 7km route going over Fairy Castle from the quarry behind the Blue light pub. For those who haven't tried it before the route marking volunteering role is one of the best options in terms of getting your run in and helping out.

The plan for next Thursday the 11th is to mark sections of the route using the current race marking guidelines in a similar fashion to the evening on KIlliney Hill last year.

If you are considering marking a race as your volunteering role and want to learn more about the IMRA marking guidelines this would be a good run. As a bonus it finishes at a pub :)

All welcome, it's not a race - it's the prep for a race!

Please reply here if you're thinking of coming along - I'll bring copies of the route and the current guidelines.

Thanks,
Peter
Liam MooneyApr 10 2024, 8:50pmPeter, I'll go along on this if it is still happening. Thanks
Steven ByrneApr 10 2024, 8:55pmI'd be interested in attending also
Peter O'FarrellApr 10 2024, 9:20pmGreat stuff lads. See ye there at 6.30pm so.
Alan KennedyApr 10 2024, 10:11pmHighly recommend this even if you don’t plan to mark a race. Did it last year with Peter on Killiney and very interesting to understand what’s behind marking a route and has helped me as a runner since.
Mike JordanApr 11 2024, 8:33amThere is a method by which IMRA courses are marked that is worth understanding whether you are marking a course or following a course.

This one-pager is definitely worth taking a look at as we head into a busy summer of racing :D ----> https://media.imra.ie/ad-hoc/Marking_poster.pdf

More info can be found in the Race Marker section on the Volunteer page.
Alan AylingApr 11 2024, 5:10pmRace marker is a pretty cool job. You can be everyone's hero when you mark a course well... or you can inspire the next episode of Strava Flyby comedy gold...
Marking is a brilliant way to put something back into the sport without having to do a First Aid course or learn how to fight with a laptop. And way more fun and appreciated than being a car park marshal.
Anyone that can, going to Peter's training session is highly recommended.
Peter O'FarrellApr 12 2024, 9:30amThanks to Liam and Steven coming along last night for an enjoyable trot and chat about the 3 Rock and tasty pint afterward.

Liam and Steven are organising a tasty newish route on Church Mountain in July which looks good already.

Route Marking/following = Follow the markers :)

As Alan says, race marking is one of the nicest volunteer roles IMRA has to offer and that one page document has all the main points. Which are follow the tape :)
Liam MooneyApr 12 2024, 8:34pmThanks for running that training last night Peter. Very enjoyable and informative evening.
As per the other lads comments, would highly recommend anybody going on any similar future sessions whether they intend to be race marker or not.