Irish Mountain
Running Association

Tory Hill

AuthorDateMessage
Niamh KellyMar 29 2024, 5:10pmHi Everyone,

Update on Tory Hill, we have had to reschedule the event to the 5th of May. This change was facilitated by the availability of a free date resulting from the cancellation of another race.

we hope you can all make the new date

Also if anyone local would be available to help out on the day that would be greatly appreciated with out volunteers these races can not go ahead

Thank you
Niamh KellyApr 21 2024, 9:16amHey everyone,
I am putting a urgent call out for an RD for Tory Hill please, it is a nice little route and easy one to direct.

Thanks in advance,
Niamh
david laniganApr 23 2024, 5:51pmI could do it if no one comes forward. I'd rather run it though.
Jarlath HynesApr 24 2024, 3:53pmRD sorted for this race.
And thanks to Thomas, Daniel & David who have volunteered so far.
We'll need a few more volunteers (also non-running) for carparking, registration, finish iine, marshalling.

I'll be back with more details later this week (entry details, short course etc etc).
Ian ConroyApr 27 2024, 12:33pmHi all, I'm looking for a lift to this one. Coming from the Northside of Dublin (Sutton), any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ian
Jarlath HynesApr 29 2024, 9:42amAfter the ‘highs’ of the past few weeks of fabulous IMRA outings (including, but not limited to, Annagh Hill’s ‘ski-slope’, Belmont’s record number of entrants, Brandon Hill’s burgers), it’s time to lower the bar a bit…

At Tory Hill, there will be no ‘bells & whistles’, but a route that will both challenge the experienced folk and offer an ideal introduction to the world of Irish trail running.
So if you’re trail-curious or have been drawn to the ersatz world of Insta/TikTok trail running ‘influencers’, this is an ideal way to try something different - you’ll enjoy it & no need to invest in a ‘backwards baseball cap’ or a Salomon Active Skin race vest just yet, this is an investment of €7.

You will need runners with some grip, but otherwise €7 will get you a scenic drive to south Kilkenny, some pre race nerves, a fast lung challenging route with nothing too technical underfoot, some post race banter.
(you might get half a sambo afterwards, but keep your expectations low…)
And most importantly, to spend some time in the fabulous community that is IMRA.
For €7…

All question will be answered in the usual friendly, accommodating spirit of IMRA ,even the ones that have already been answered in the ‘Race day instructions’ or earlier on the forum (this is a work in progress for me, so be considerate :) )

Entry will open this morning.

We need another one or two volunteers for carparking & registration, please.
Jarlath HynesMay 2 2024, 10:04amSo we're next up... (Well done Sean & Co on Scarr last night, Sean's legs are no doubt still tired after his weekend outing!).

So after another bit of scouting around Tory Hill with Tom yesterday, we've amended the route again - to add a really lovely little forest climb at the start to allow everyone ease into things.... see Plotaroute attached for direction (not distance).

So route is still fast, with some gentle climbs & mild descents - this race is an ideal introduction to hill running for a beginner but plenty to challenge experienced trail runners too.

We're okay for volunteers now.
There will be a Junior race.
There will be no early start, marshalls will stay on place until last runner passes on return loop.

Did I mention you can see 4 counties from the top of Tory Hill?
John Murphy74May 2 2024, 11:30amJarlath,

I'll have cheese on my burger please!
Jarlath HynesMay 3 2024, 8:29am@John, there will be a limited number of cheese slices available at the finish line (Wexford cheese, obviously).

But ye'll have to bring your own burgers...
Jarlath HynesMay 3 2024, 6:45pmThanks for all the DM's... (it doesn't take much to upset people...)

So for clarity, the sandwiches will be made in Kilkenny, some of them with Kilmeaden (village in Waterford) cheese, which is now made in Ballyragget (in Kilkenny). Confusing stuff, I'm sorry I'm mentioned cheese in last post.

I was on the course today doing some housekeeping on the short forest trail at the start. Over the 7K, it's wet & slippy in places, so reasonably 'grippy' shoes are recommended.

Volunteer email was sent midweek. Ian S, can you contact me please at 0ate7 6ate1227O, I think we may have incorrect email address for you.

Registration closes tomorrow evening.
Jarlath HynesMay 5 2024, 2:08pmWell done to all who raced on Tory Hill today.

Thanks to Daniel, Arthur, David, Davey, Alison & Peter for volunteering & making it all possible.
And special thanks to Tommy (& family!) for all the help pre-race & today planning the route & marking it.

Congrats to;
Finlay & Mile, the Junior course winners.

Female 1st Joanne Rice 44.47, 2nd Miranda Egan Langley 45.15, 3rd Anna Madden 47.01

Male 1st Enda Cloake 30.55, 2nd Andy Keeling 33.20, 3rd Pat Foley 33.50

Full results will be sent to the Results Secretary later today & be uploaded next week.

Last week was my first time on Tory Hill, it’s safe to say I know it pretty well by now - there may be a few more trails waiting to be uncovered to include in next year’s race…!
Liam BoweMay 5 2024, 3:21pmThanks Jarlath and crew for another fabulous morning on the hills in the sunny south east. Those local cheese sandwiches were the business.
Thomas PhelanMay 6 2024, 5:05pmPictures of yesterday's race, number 04 of the Southeast League are now up on the IMRA (unofficial) Facebook page. Hope you all enjoyed the route and the brownies and sambos after. It was my first time Volunteering for IMRA yesterday and really enjoyed it. Thanks to RD Jarlath and the rest of the volunteer team yesterday, plus Niamh and Paul for advice leading up to it.
Look forward to welcoming you all back again next year
Colm HassettMay 6 2024, 6:02pmThanks Jarlath and al the crew for putting it together , great route with some difficulty and sambos an brownies at the end