Irish Mountain
Running Association

Beara Way Ultra

AuthorDateMessage
Michael McSweeneyFeb 27 2024, 8:18pmHi all,
I have updated the cut-off times to tie-in with the new start time of 9 am Friday. Everything is more-or-less the same, apart from 3 hours off the overall time, which is still allowing a good margin judging by last years results.
Micheal.

Cut-offs.
Cut-off times are exit times from the various aid stations: Castletownbere town center; Start at 09:00 Friday morning.
Eyeries village hall (60km); 11 hour cut-off, 20:00 Friday evening. Lauragh Church carpark (90km); 18 hour cut-off, 03:00 Saturday morning.
Glengarriff Village Hall (120km); 28 hour cut-off, 13:00 Saturday afternoon.
Adrigole National School (135km); 32 hour cut-off, 17:00 Saturday evening.
Castletownbere town center - finish line (161km); 37 hour cut-off, 22:00 Saturday night.
Sunset 21:30 Friday night (dark 22:00). Sunrise 05:40 Saturday morning (bright 05:10).
Martin StevensonMar 18 2024, 10:53amHi any map recommendations for the race?
Michael McSweeneyMar 18 2024, 8:55pmHi Martin.
Nearly all of the race route follows the Beara Way Walking route, which is marked with yellow arrows and yellow Walking person symbol. There are a few spots where we leave the Beara Way and use local walking routes or bridal paths. Where this happens, the route will be clearly marked with IMRA arrows. I will be detailing any diversions from the main Beara Way Marked Way in the pre race briefing email. In addition all the night time sections will have extra hi vis marking.
So in theory you shouldn't need a map or any extra navigation aid. In theory.....

However we all lose our way on occasion.....

Sport Ireland Trails website has a series of maps on their website detailing the Beara Way Marked way. OS Maps 84 & 85 also contain details of the Beara Way Marked way. However all of these maps are slightly out of date , as some sections have changed over the years. The maps are still useful to orientate your self on the Peninsula.

The Plot a Route map on the event page contains the full route of the Beara Way Ultra race. It is possible to download a GPX from this map. If you download it now for recees, I'd advise downloading it again shortly before the race incase I need to update it due to local changes.

So my advice is follow the markers as they are on the ground during the race, but carry a map or GPS in case you get meascain marì after 20+ hours of running.

Hope this helps and the training is going good. If you are down for a reccee give me a shout. I might be free to join you for a few miles.
Micheal.
Martin StevensonMar 19 2024, 11:59amThanks for that
Michael McSweeneyMar 25 2024, 1:21pmI have posted a new Plot a Route Map on the event page.
There are a few slight changes, so it's worth studying before any recces.
If you have your recce already done, don't panic, it's nothing major.
On the day, any variations from the Way Marked Beara Way will be signed with IMRA arrows. Any variations will also be detailed in the pre-race briefing email.

New start time of 0800 Friday morning, with associated changes to cut-off times, are also posted.

Finally there are a few small changes to the drop bag details. The same, but different. :-)
Kevin BroughtonMar 25 2024, 8:27pmMain changes as far I can see:
Start / finish at different location
we’re slightly shorter at the most southerly point near Dursey, around mile 17ish
We’re coming into Eyries from the opposite side, with a little out and back to the aid station so a little extra distance there
There’s an extra bit added around mile 73-74
A slight change just before mile 94, doesn’t look like any difference to distance there
and a few little kinks ironed out here and there
Overall distance a bit longer
8am start is better too, thanks Micheal
Michael McSweeneyApr 29 2024, 10:17pmFor anyone lurking in the long grass, entry for the Ultra will close this Saturday (4th of May) .

Free blisters with every entry. :-)
Andre Van BarneveldApr 29 2024, 10:22pmHi Michael
Due to a dodgy knee I won't be running the ultra but was wondering if it is possible to change my entry to the challenge? Thanks
Michael McSweeneyMay 3 2024, 11:14pmAnyone planning on running some of the Beara Way this weekend, be aware that the Killarney Rally has a few stages on the Ring of Beara tomorrow and possibly Sunday. I was back between Eyeries and Lauragh this evening. Lots of road closure signs up.
Just something to be aware of if making plans.
Michael McSweeneyYesterday, 2:14pmI'll be sending out a race briefing this coming weekend for runners and volunteers.