Irish Mountain
Running Association

Mt Brandon Half (Kilkenny)

AuthorDateMessage
Rory LeadbetterFeb 24 2024, 8:22pmEvent page updated. Any questions please ask. First time RD so go easy ;-)
Deirdre GalvinFeb 25 2024, 10:32amThis is a fabulous little mountain, and a cracker of a route for the trail speedsters among you. Some nice technical bits as well as lots of flowy fire roads. It's also a lovely race route for someone looking to make the switch between road and trail.
Dara O'BrienFeb 25 2024, 11:30amI can second what Deirdre has said. Brandon Hill is a gem for trail running, varied terrain, some lovely climbs and some great, flowing downhills. Add in some great views from the summit and the occasional herd of wild goats and you’ll have a great day out.

Fair dues to Rory and Co. for getting it back on the list.

As an aside, in Graiguenamanagh (about 5km from the start/finish) there’s a riverside sauna now in operation (hotbox.ie) with a plunge pool directly in the Barrow river. Might be a nice way to sooth the tight muscles for those who are that way inclined.

I’ll be driving from Graiguenamanagh so, in light of limited parking, if anyone wants to park there, I’m happy to do a few shuttle runs up and back to the start/finish area.

It would be great to see a good crowd there.
Rory LeadbetterMar 2 2024, 8:34amEvent page updated with more detailed route description to whet your appetites.

Also potential move of prize giving location to be confirmed (which it is rumoured might include a Sauna and cold plunge)
Seán LonerganMar 6 2024, 11:13amAnyone plan on doing a recce of the route before the race?
Rory LeadbetterMar 6 2024, 2:30pmI hadn’t planned an official one but if there’s a demand I’m happy to oblige
Rory LeadbetterMar 10 2024, 5:48pmOk I have 4/5 for a recce so the date and time that suits folk best is Saturday 23rd of March @1pm. Full route nice and easy probably allow 2:45. Please contact me ahead of the date if you’re coming. rory.leadbetter@gmail.com

Nothing provided but company ;-)
Rory LeadbetterMar 21 2024, 11:37pmLast call for those interested in the recce this Saturday @1 pm
Eoin PhelanApr 1 2024, 10:06amIt would probably be better to call this Brandon hill half instead as Mt Brandon is in Kerry
Rory LeadbetterApr 1 2024, 1:14pmAgreed, I had intended to do this when I was appointed RD but forgot.
Eoin PhelanApr 5 2024, 1:54pmHi Rory,

I have signed up for the race but I can volunteer to help with anything needed on the morning of the race? let me know if I can help and I will volunteer as a helper.

Thanks,
Eoin
Rory LeadbetterApr 5 2024, 3:29pmHi Eoin, that’d be great! I’m sure we could use you for the early start (if required) and sign In! All volunteers welcome as always.
Rory LeadbetterApr 10 2024, 8:33pmHi folks, quick shout out for volunteers. We could still use some more course Marshalls, a summit Marshall and a laptop operator. The grub after alone will be worth the trip :-)

And do remember, this is race 2 of the Leinster Half Marathon (LHM) League :-0
Katie MullanApr 12 2024, 6:59pmHi I'm new to trail race running, is there a time cut off for this race? I live in kilkenny so it would be close. I saw the shorter mt Leinster but there minimal signage along that route. Is the signage only at important junctions manageable for a beginner?
Rory LeadbetterApr 12 2024, 9:42pmHi Katie, the route will be well marked and marshalled so you won’t get lost. We hadn’t discussed cut offs, we may accommodate an “early start” (probably @10am) for runners who feel they might take more than 160% of the estimated winning time. This is for a few reasons, mainly that we’re not up on the hill all day and that everyone is back at the start/finish in time to get a bit of food (we’re doin a BBQ for all runners and volunteers)

I think most people who run with IMRA remember their first race fondly, you’ll find a great bunch of folk with no egos, airs or graces and you’ll find they’re more than happy to impart knowledge and experience to a newbie. I’d implore anyone considering it to have a go. {Caveat: it’s highly addictive}
Katie MullanApr 14 2024, 8:22pmThanks so much for taking the time to reply, I was definitely conscious of not having me holding people up there. Thanks so much again for encouragement and advice
Andre Van BarneveldApr 14 2024, 10:33pmHi, any link to a GPX of the route from the recce?
Thanks
Rory LeadbetterApr 15 2024, 7:39amNot at all Katie. Hope we see you on the day.

Andre there’s a link on the event page to Strava route, that any good to you? If not I can try get a proper GPX up later today.
Rory LeadbetterApr 15 2024, 7:41amI’ve bumped the Strava link to the top of the “route description” section. Here it is below

https://strava.app.link/UDmhBI9usHb
Rory LeadbetterApr 15 2024, 7:45amOk, lucky I checked that as it’s the old route. Here’s the actual route.

https://strava.app.link/RscDH8ueOIb
Rory LeadbetterApr 15 2024, 11:34amI have a GPX file now (credit: DarDar) if anyone wants it send me an email

rory.leadbetter@gmail.com
Rory LeadbetterApr 16 2024, 11:49amAnyone looking to avail of the early start please email me on the above address also.
Rory LeadbetterApr 18 2024, 10:34pmhttps://www.instagram.com/reel/C56mCLLMZx_/?igsh=cm5iYzV5eXlqa3k3

Teaser featuring Lonan and Patrick (thanks lads :-))
Andy KeelingApr 22 2024, 10:58amI'm heading to the race on Saturday but I'm afraid I'm car-less. Sorted for a lift down but if anyone would happen to have a spare seat after the race travelling towards the m50 or to a bus/train to Dublin It would be greatly appreciated. Happy to chip in for fuel/post race ice cream.
Rory LeadbetterApr 24 2024, 9:46amQuick update:

Mandatory kit: Level B. Please be familiar with this, it will be checked.

Early start: 10am (please email me if you have not)

Prizegiving: finish line (1,2&3 M&F)

Grub: finish line Burgers (any dietary requirements please email me ASAP and we will try accommodate)

Water stop: 12.5 & 19km (please have your own collapsible cup or water bottle)

Please carpool and please remember to leave no trace.
Rory LeadbetterApr 24 2024, 4:48pmI’ve had some reports of people having difficulty registering. It is being looked into. It may not be resolved today but will be resolved by tomorrow afternoon.
Laura-Anne MolloyApr 24 2024, 5:23pmAndy if you still need a lift after race we will have a spot in our car, we will be going back to the Midlands via Carlow or Kilkenny then onto Portlaoise if any of those worked for you to get a train to Heuston. I've the spot in the carpool if that works.
Andy KeelingApr 24 2024, 5:44pmHey Laura Anne. Thank you but all sorted now via the carpool section. See you at the race!
Rory LeadbetterApr 25 2024, 3:02pmHi folks,

It has been brought to my attention that the recent spate of entries to the Brandon Hill half Marathon have coincided with us adding a picture of the post race Burgers to the information page, and that some competitors, just after the burger are planning to run out of sight and feign injury and limp back. There will be no burger for any competitor that DNFs In the 1st km.

Also, please could everybody consider carpooling to cut down on our carbon footprint and also because we have a limited amount of space for cars at The venue.
Rory LeadbetterApr 25 2024, 9:32pmLatest edition to race day:

Viv’s Tea hut will be on site at the start/finish line with the best coffee and tea in the south east! Please bring a few sheckles with you as this is not covered by the race fee.
Rory LeadbetterApr 26 2024, 5:48pmEntries are just about to close folks, Get yourselves in before it’s too late!

And please, please, please carpool in the morning.

Early start register by 930
All others registered by 1030 please
Rory LeadbetterApr 26 2024, 7:49pmHi folks, just answering a few more FAQs

There are no toilets on site at all, sorry.

Carpooling is absolutely essential! Please carpool from home or from Graignemanagh (5km) or Thomastown (10km).

There will be an independent tea/coffee van on site so please support.
Neil GunningApr 27 2024, 4:44pmHey Rory & Team - thanks a million for running such a great event today - the marking, the parking, the volunteers and support along the route was fantastic - not to mention the burgers at the finish line - if that was how good your first race director role was - I’m looking forward to the next one already. Happy recovering to everyone
Conor NolanApr 27 2024, 4:54pmReally enjoyed the event. Everything Neil says + a great course. A bit of everything and runnable, except for that last climb... OMG, vying for most hated status with 'that climb' on Annagh Hill. I had to haul myself up by using the fence! Wouldn't have missed it for anything :) Hopefully it'll be back on the calendar next year. Roll on the next Leinster Half race in the Slieve Blooms.
Conor NolanApr 27 2024, 4:56pmAn extra word of thanks to the course marshalls. Great encouragement all the way around.
Richard NunanApr 27 2024, 5:01pmThanks Rory, Paul, Niamh, Lonan and team, felt like alot of work went into that course - well done and super Burgers!
Karen CreanApr 27 2024, 5:44pmGreat morning/ afternoon running Brandon Hill...
Superbly marked course ....amazing support especially at the top of the last climb..Great encouraging chants from volunteers.
Thanks Rory and all the crew.
The Burgers were a lovely treat and great to have a coffee station also.
Prizes are really special..
Thanks again
K
Andy KeelingApr 27 2024, 5:57pmGreat race today. Hand blown glassware prizes for the podium finishers by the RD himself. A fresh burger for all upon finishing. Where else would you get that? Well done to all the organisers and crew. Special shoutout to Dierdre Galvin who acted as a motivational coach for the last climb.
Andy KeelingApr 27 2024, 6:04pmGreat race today. Hand blown glassware prizes for the podium finishers by the RD himself. A fresh burger for all upon finishing. Where else would you get that? Well done to all the organisers and crew. Thanks so much. Special shoutout to Dierdre Galvin who acted as a motivational coach for the last climb.
Colm HassettApr 27 2024, 6:28pmFantastic event today Thanks to Rory and all the team for putting it all together, my first half and I have the banged up knees to prove it,
Martin CullenApr 27 2024, 7:26pmGreat day in the hills today. Some tough climbs. Great race and burgers.
Thanks for the shouts on the last Hill up, it was needed. Very well organised and thanks to the RD and Volunteers.
Rory LeadbetterApr 27 2024, 9:22pmThanks so much for all the feedback folks and I’m glad ye all had some type 2 fun in the South East today.

Massive thanks to everyone who helped today happen. Special nod to Lonan who was as much RD as I was and Dara who did all the work on the phenomenal Burgers!

Also to Liam Vines and Paul and Niamh Kelly without whom I think we would all be racing a lot less. Their help and assurance along the way made this not only enjoyable but actually pretty easy to pull off.

I’d strongly encourage anyone thinking of RDing to get in touch because the supports are there and it has been a great experience.

Lastly just want to thank all the volunteers again, without you guys these races just wouldn’t happen. It’s not a big ask to volunteer a couple of times a year, as the Sultans and Cloughie say “a man can have no greater love, than give 90 minutes to his friends.

See ye on the hills ;-)
Angela FlynnApr 27 2024, 10:32pmBest Route Marked EVER… thanks so much for today Rory, and all the hard work that went into it beforehand, no least the hand blown glasses. . Burgers at the finish , topped off by sauna and dip in the Barrow., now aren’t ye all jealous ye didn’t come to the ‘ancient east?’
Linda RowdenApr 28 2024, 3:17pmBig thanks to Rory and his team of volunteers for a fantastic day out on Mount Brandon. The route had a bit of everything and was so well marked. Special shout out to the marshals for all their words of encouragement, particularly Deirdre whose cheering and waving got me up that last steep climb. The burgers at the end were delicious, as was the sauna and river dip in The Barrow in lovely Graiguenamanagh. It was a fab day out!!
John Murphy74Apr 28 2024, 3:26pmWhat a fantastic event. Well organised, lots of parking and a quick registartion.A great course with a bit of everything and a real sneaky last climb. Well done Rory and crew for a great day. And the bar for post race refreshments has been set impossibly high. It's not often you get a gourmet burger on the side of a hill, hats off to Dara O' Brien!!
Adrian HennessyApr 28 2024, 8:36pmThanks Rory and crew for organising such a great race. Really nice route. Will hopefully encourage a few road runners in future years to give it a go on the hills. Flawless route marking by Lonan, a man who knows his way around that hill. The burgers topped it all off.
Stephen BailieApr 28 2024, 9:01pmHated the final hill
BUT
Loved the burger
Peter KehoeApr 28 2024, 10:09pmGreat event yesterday, some tough "hills", well done and thanks to everyone who was involved in organising and volunteering this race, the burgers were very welcome at the end!