Irish Mountain
Running Association

Killiney Hill Relay Charity Race

AuthorDateMessage
Andrew HanneyFeb 16 2024, 12:42pmThis great event is a fun start to Wednesday night racing. Its already overwhelmed with volunteers, for which I am very grateful. I have accepted the first 10 as I must ensure that volunteers have contributing roles or else you can switch to the running volunteer role. Please look to the other Wednesday night races that will need help. Thank you.
Miriam MaherMar 12 2024, 9:51pmEvening all

As the Killiney Hill relay race is the first of our charity races for 2024, we'd like to invite members, as in previous years, to put forward a charity which they would like to see benefit from this event.

The committee with look at all charities proposed and decide on one. If you would like to put a charity forward please check on the Charities Regulator website to ensure that it is a registered charity.

If your charity is selected we would ask that you help out at one of the other upcoming race events by adding your name to the volunteer list as Andy has a full compliment of volunteers already!

Details can be sent to me at president@imra.ie by March 26th 2024.

Many thanks

Miriam
Brendan LawlorMar 20 2024, 5:05pmHi

I suspect Andy has enough volunteers now for this race. Can people please consider volunteering for future Wednesday races where there are plenty of gaps
Andrew HanneyMar 21 2024, 9:52amThanks Brendan I did mention this in my post above.
Andy KeelingApr 8 2024, 5:38pmHow does the relay work? Is it make your own team or randomly allocated teams?
Alan KennedyApr 8 2024, 5:47pmHey Andy, I did it last year and was great craic. But teams are just random and drawn out of a hat. Last year was teams of 3 and just one (sprint) lap each.
Rob TobinApr 8 2024, 6:09pm@Andy Running shoes optional for this one I believe... ;-)
Miriam MaherApr 11 2024, 7:28amMorning.

Thanks to those who nominated charities for this year's event.

We have selected St Joseph' Care Home in Shankill as this year's beneficiary of the funds raised on the night.

So this is one of those events where we'd welcome your sign ups, even if you can't make it on the night!

Miriam
Andrew HanneyApr 12 2024, 11:34amWe are looking forward to kicking off the IMRA Wednesday trail season with the usual Killiney charity race. This year all money raised with go to St Joseph’s in Shankill who do wonderful work caring for those with dementia etc.
The format of the event is simple. You turn up, are placed on a team or 3 at random and between yourselves you decide who takes which leg. All runners do the same figure of 8 loop around Killiney which is around 2.5km.
There are lots of people doing IMRA races for the first time this year. This type of race is a brilliant way to get to know what Imra is all about. We will have some refreshments at the race finish.
Please sign up and see you next Wednesday. For any questions just post here..

As for volunteers. Please see my first post on this thread about having enough. I will be switching everyone else to running volunteers. There is a very full IMRA calendar which will need you.
Rob TobinApr 15 2024, 9:11pmFor anyone who would like to cycle to Killiney this Wednesday, I've started a separate forum post about running a bike bus from Dublin city centre to Killiney. Full information is in the thread here - https://imra.ie/forum/topic/id/6715

If anyone has questions you can reply in thread or contact me directly - see mobile number in post.
Andrew HanneyApr 16 2024, 9:48amThanks Rob for the above regarding the bike bus.

Entries close today at 6pm. Would be nice to get 60 people to make 20 teams. All for a good cause. Kids over 12 could also be part of teams, and younger ones could do the string race.
Mike JordanApr 16 2024, 10:56amHi Andy/Niamh.
What time are you hoping to have the kids string race? It was great fun last year!
Stuart ScottApr 16 2024, 11:34amMike, you're too old :-)
Andrew HanneyApr 16 2024, 12:38pmYes the follow the string race will be there tomorrow. No betting on the winners in that one please.
Andrew HanneyApr 16 2024, 5:52pmRace entry will remain open until tomorrow evening. Might help out those who won’t know until tomorrow. The more the merrier.
Andrew HanneyApr 16 2024, 8:13pmEmail gone out to non running volunteers. Running volunteers, just come and see me on the night.

Don't forget to car pool, weather looks ok tomorrow and the park can be busy in the evening. The Dart in Dalkey leaves you about 15 mins walk away.

Race entries will remain open until tomorrow evening. If its your first IMRA event this is a best way to meet up and get to know the IMRA folks.
Niamh O'CeallaighApr 16 2024, 8:34pmHi Folks,
The kids run, walk, toddle is back this year.
It will start at 7:20, just before the adults race to allow all the adults cheer them on.
I'll be available in an unofficial/non IMRA capacity to keep an eye on any kids whose parents are running in the relay.
If anyone is bringing kids with impaired mobility, please let me know in advance and we would be delighted to ensure that the course is accessible for all. My number is 0 ate 5 won double four 5 too 0 nine
Andrew HanneyApr 17 2024, 2:59pmFingers crossed that the rain moves on as expected. Entries will remain open right up until race time. Looking forward to seeing you all later.
Jean O'NeillApr 17 2024, 5:14pmI entered twice, paid twice, by mistake. I was confused by the system, not having entered any races for 3 or more years! I also paid the yearly registration fee.
Andy KeelingApr 17 2024, 10:19pmBig thanks to Andy and the crew for this evening. Great craic all together on Killiney hill. The Wednesday fun has begun.
Mike JordanApr 18 2024, 9:31amWell done to all the runners and volunteers for another fun Killiney Hill relay. Thanks to all who supported this years charity - St Joseph' Care Home in Shankill. Especially well done to all the kids who took part in the string race!

Team placings are below.
Individual splits are here - https://www.imra.ie/events/report/id/2493.
Finish times were all done manually so expect your time to be within a generous margin of error :D
I'm bound to have made a few mistakes - feel free to point them out in as nice a way as possible.

Congrats to Team 8 - Pol continues his streak of winning raffles by picking the winning team!

Just a note - we had a number of runners who ran without entering online in advance. This won't be possible at any other race you go to - you must pre-enter, have a 2024 membership, and entries are not transferable between runners.

Here comes the summer!!

OverallTeamPosition Team # Team Members
1st Team8 (Oscar, Pol, Darren)
2nd Team15 (Andy Mc, Andy K, Tommy)
3rd Team4 (Gareth, Michael, Brian)
4th Team1 (Derek, Stephen, Cormac)
5th Team11 (Ronan, Aisling, Martin)
6th Team10 (Issa, Stephanie, Arthur)
7th Team5 (Stephen, Lindsay, Alan)
8th Team16 (James, Maeve, Rob)
9th Team9 (Ian, Gavan, Donall)
10th Team12 (James, Sandra, Derek)
11th Team2 (Maike, Eamonn, Philip)
12th Team14 (Chris, Shauna, Bill)
13th Team13 (Layla, Santina, Richard)
14th Team3 (Caroline, Angela, Paddy)
15th Team7 (Lucile, Conor, David)
16th Team17 (Helen, Jodie, Eoin)
17th Team6 (Ciara, Anne, Dave)
Andy McGeadyApr 18 2024, 9:37amBrilliant fun last night. Well done to the organisers, especially for having the hot drinks!
Andrew HanneyApr 18 2024, 12:10pmThanks to everyone for a very fun Killiney Relay Last night.

Firstly, it was great to celebrate those receiving their milestone t-shirts, but in particular Diarmuid O’Colmain who has given so much to IMRA over the years. It was a great pleasure to see Diarmuid presented with his 200 t-shirt. It was also fitting that his daughter Niamh (assistant RD) also received her 200 t-shirt: https://imra.ie/photos/view/id/223294/
Thanks to all the volunteers who helped on the evening. Particularly to Niamh for once again organising the kids follow the string race it is a fantastic way to include all ages and abilities at IMRA events and promote inclusivity.
We had a great attendance with 51 runners meaning 17 teams in total. Once teams were picked you all then had the fun task of getting to know each other and choose the order of who would do leg 1,2 or 3. The random nature of the team picking is great encouragement to get to know IMRA folk. You could do a thousand 5k road races and never know anyone else running, IMRA is different. Getting to know people is part of the experience.
The rain was threatening to make it a long night, but thankfully it moved on just before race start. In line with the ethos of the race it was brilliant to see mixed teams young and old all join together for the fun of it. Best summarised by this photo: https://imra.ie/photos/view/id/223267/
The winners… team 4 were Oscar Rowe (11:25), Pól Ó’Murchú (12:45), Darren O’Toole (12:15). A combined time of 36:25.
As Killiney hill fell quiet after the runners had left. The views were quite spectacular: https://imra.ie/photos/view/id/223357/.
James ClancyApr 18 2024, 12:27pmA really incredible night, thanks so much to Andy and his merry crew for organising, an amazing start to the summer season!!
Dave DochertyApr 18 2024, 12:55pmGreat kick off to the Wednesday nights. Lots of time for the chats and craic. My two boys had a blast. Massive thanks to Andy, Niamh and crew.
Rob TobinApr 18 2024, 1:06pmThanks Andy and crew for putting on such a good show on Killiney Hill. There is nothing quite like being back running hills on bright Wednesday evenings. Despite the afternoon's best efforts there was no dampening spirits and the craic was there in abundance, first cheering on the kids race, then gathering to watch the mid-loop descents from the obelisk and the handovers on each leg, with some jovial push-and-shove, slipping and sliding all adding to the spectacle.

I may have taken my Leg 3 running duties a bit too seriously and rolled my ankle badly on tree roots on the final descent. I'm very grateful to my Team 16 teammates - James, Maeve and Maeve's Dad Martin - Andys H and K, Alan, Derek, Paul and others who checked in on this "Trim softie" (Paul's words) afterwards. Although a bit stiff and sore today it is improving and I'm very excited to embark on another summer of Wednesdays. Roll on the League!
Jean O'NeillApr 18 2024, 1:42pmI ean last night as an individual. I forgot to give in my timtime. 21 mins 40. It was a good night, I really enjoyed my return to IMRA after a long absence. Thank you to everyone!
Andrew HanneyApr 18 2024, 7:45pmFound a bottle in my car after Killiney with great Dublin bike ride on it…. Let me know if yours
Rob TobinApr 18 2024, 9:16pmI reckon that one's mine Andy... Green with a blue cap? Would it suit to get it from you at one of the upcoming League races?
Andrew HanneyApr 18 2024, 11:31pmGrand Rob, I'll message you.