Irish Mountain
Running Association

Running sock recommendations

AuthorDateMessage
Laura FlynnJan 17 2024, 8:09pmDoes anyone have any recommendations for a very good running/hiking sock that would help with blisters. I’ve used the 1000 mile sock in the past and found them good but not brilliant and I’ve been reading about injinji socks but they don’t seem to be available in Ireland.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Warren SwordsJan 17 2024, 8:32pmI've been using socks from Decathlon for last few years. Perform better than any of the big brands. The merino wool socks are good for winter hills too.
Sara MohanJan 17 2024, 8:38pmDarn tough socks are also very good
Alistair HodgettJan 17 2024, 9:05pmFinally a question re: kit I have an opinion on! Compressport socks have worked for me to prevent blisters. Little fabric 'dots' that protect the usual areas for blisters and good breathability is their magic trick apparently. They are also hard wearing.
Andy KeelingJan 17 2024, 9:08pmGot some 1000 mile socks recently from 53 degrees N. Well worth the money.
Andy KeelingJan 17 2024, 9:17pmThe single layer 1000 mile ones that is. I've heard the dual layer ones aren't great.
John Murphy74Jan 17 2024, 10:32pmWarren, the decathlon socks are fantastic as you said. NO blister issues and cheap as chips too.!
Andrew HanneyJan 18 2024, 12:02amLaura I was looking for cheap running socks a few months ago and I tried these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0C9CBB64M?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

They were so good I bought a second batch. Now, I will say I usually run with socks inside out to have less chance of blisters. Well happy with them.
Deirdre O GormanJan 18 2024, 9:09amHi Laura, I've found the Injinji socks absolutely brilliant; great at preventing blisters, very comfortable and can tolerate high mileage. I haven't been able to find an Irish supplier but I get mine from runningwarehouse.eu or bergfreunde.eu
Alan KennedyJan 18 2024, 9:24amI would also recommend Toe socks for anyone that has friction issues between toes. I thought they were a gimmick but saw them first time at Brockagh race last year and then tried them and I no long have that issue now. From either Injinji or Hilly.
Eamonn HodgeJan 18 2024, 10:22amI'd recommend Steigen socks for road running and trail running. They're thin but snug. I find them brilliant.

https://steigen.ie/product/running-socks/

Normally 14 euro or so. Amphibian King sell them.
Eric Llaurado OrtizJan 18 2024, 10:33amIf your blisters are in your toes, Injinji socks 100x100, nothing beats them.
If your blisters are in any other place I would say X-Bionic socks.
They all are a bit expensive.
Rob TobinJan 18 2024, 10:33amThe main characteristics I look out for are the sock's weight and the support/tension it provides along the foot. I find I have far fewer blisters when I run in heavy socks with supporting bands/panels or dots along the foot.

I've worn 1000 Mile double layer socks running both on roads and trails for years and have had very few blisters while wearing them. I find them excellent and they are my preferred socks both for training and for races.

My experience of Decathlon socks has been mixed. I've tried 3 different styles from the Kalenji line. I'd lots of blisters wearing 2 lighter styles and have retired those to indoor duties, but I still run in my heavier Kalenji socks on occasion.

I recently picked up some inov-8 anklets in two different styles at reduced prices. I've only been out running in them a few times as it's not really the time of year for running in ankle socks, but I've had no issues with blisters as yet.
Warren SwordsJan 18 2024, 10:47amIt is important to say that calf socks/sleeves have no place in IMRA.

Leave them to the the triathletes along with their sun visors and IM tattoos.
Paul FlynnJan 18 2024, 11:17amIf the blisters are on the toes, toe-socks definitely help in my experience.

I like the Hilly brand toe-socks but i think they only come in ankle length and I know some people prefer longer socks.
Alan KennedyJan 18 2024, 1:02pm(Note to self) - leave new compression socks at home for race on Sunday :-0
Eoin KellyJan 18 2024, 1:18pmI'll second the Steigen Socks suggestion. They are extremely comfortable and very stretchy when new. They get progressively tighter over a few hundred washes as they lose some of the elasticity. I got two pairs of Irish flag ones before the marathon in 2019 as they were buy one get one free and i thought i would try them. They are still on the go, albeit a bit more snug than they were when new. They probably could do with being retired but i hate throwing out stuff that is still functional. I buy one or two new pairs a year and keep planning on retiring the original ones. I give them one more run, and then wash them and give them just one more, ad infinitum it seems! Anyway - i don't really run in anything else now.
Brian KitsonJan 18 2024, 1:56pmWisely noted, Alan. But don’t worry, during a wild weather race at the Belmont last year I chanced throwing on a pair of Sleeves with my t-shirt (by accident) and compounded my error by not wearing short shorts. Thankfully Warren and the lads were on hand at the start line to quickly and repeatedly point out my mistake and I’m sure will do the same for you on Sunday :)
PS no blister issues so have no sock recommendations I’m afraid.
Stuart ScottJan 18 2024, 2:26pmEoin..."Anyway - i don't really run in anything else now."...please refer to the Mandatory Kit post :-)
Laura FlynnJan 18 2024, 3:11pmThat you all so much, I didn’t expect some a huge response ! Some great advice there - I just need to make some decisions now and include something that’ll cover up my Ironman tattoo !
Mikey FryJan 18 2024, 6:08pmJust ask Tom no socks Blacky:))
Ricki WynneJan 18 2024, 6:52pmHi Laura
I use compressport crew length trail socks , no blisters, arch support, Achilles protection and they are super durable
Eamonn HodgeJan 19 2024, 9:26amLaura, you've started the most popular forum topic of 2024!
Eoin KellyJan 19 2024, 10:13amEoin..."Anyway - i don't really run in anything else now."...please refer to the Mandatory Kit post :-)

Sorry Stuart - I should have clarified that i also wear the mandatory rain coat on short races.

Other than that, just the steigen socks. They come in a range of eye catching designs that focuses the viewers attention on them, so they don't notice that one is wearing nothing else! I think the RDs and gear checkers will be wise to this though and will be wearing blinkers so they don't get distracted by the awesome socks while carrying out mandatory kit checks.
Jeff SwordsJan 19 2024, 10:26amThe Run Hub in Ashtown have a decent range of Steigen for anyone that side of the city.
Stuart ScottJan 19 2024, 10:36amThanks for the clarification Eoin, you must have fallen foul of the "naked warrior dance" website bug once too often! The Safety Officer will be happy anyway.
Laura FlynnJan 19 2024, 3:37pmLooks like it Eamon, I might get an end-of-year award yet!
Keelin HolmesJan 19 2024, 4:00pmI just bought steigen socks finding them great