Irish Mountain
Running Association

Trooperstown Winter

AuthorDateMessage
Dave DochertyJan 17 2024, 5:46pmJust a shout out for a few more volunteers for Trooperstown please.
Stéphane ClaudeJan 22 2024, 9:46amHi Dave, I've put my name down for volunteering as a helper. I can either help Niamh with race marking or marshalling or both.
Dave DochertyJan 22 2024, 11:05amStephane. Thanks for that, I'll put you on Niamh's crew.
Stéphane ClaudeJan 22 2024, 12:05pmPerfect, please let me know what time I should aim to be there or forward my details to Niamh as I'll go along with her plans
Dave DochertyJan 27 2024, 5:31pmAnother shout out for a few more volunteers please. Thanks.
Dave DochertyJan 30 2024, 10:01amMorning all. We could do with a few more volunteers, both running and non-running. Thanks.
ELAINE O BRIEN LAWLORJan 30 2024, 10:30amHi Dave, I can do helper at the Trooperstown Race,
Elaine
Dave DochertyJan 30 2024, 11:12amThanks Elaine, I'll add you now. Cheers
Dave DochertyFeb 3 2024, 8:27amWe are still happy to take a few more volunteers if anyone was wondering. Thanks
Stéphane ClaudeFeb 4 2024, 5:42pmHi Dave, I can help as Marshall after race marking with Niamh. What time should I aim to come down?
Joe WarneFeb 4 2024, 9:48pmHi guys, any details of race entry yet? Thanks a mill.
Dave DochertyFeb 5 2024, 6:34amRace entry will open on morning of Wednesday the 7th and close at 1800 on Friday the 9th.
Dave DochertyFeb 5 2024, 10:10amWe have enough volunteers now. Thanks to all who have offered their time. An email go out in the next few days.
Niamh O'CeallaighFeb 6 2024, 6:31pmThere will be a small change from the usual route this year.
After crossing the bridge after the start, we will stay off the road and will use the bike tracks to ascend to the upper road. There will then be a very short 50m on the road before heading up onto Trooperstown Hill.
Niamh O'CeallaighFeb 6 2024, 6:32pmThe junior course will be an out and back route totally approx 4.5km. The junior race will start shortly after the main start.
Dave DochertyFeb 6 2024, 9:35pmThanks Niamh.
Dave DochertyFeb 6 2024, 9:39pmCould all runners please consider how they are getting to the race this Saturday. Carpooling is key. Trooperstown is quit a restricted carpark. Get on to your mates, your WhatsApp groups etc...and carpool as much as possible from Kilmac, Roundwood, Laragh, wherever. If you have a spare seat please offer to a fellow runner. If you are new to IMRA, please familiarise yourself with the carpool section on the event page. Leave adequate time to get parked and registered. Also please be kind, helpful and patient with our volunteers. Thanks.
Andrew HanneyFeb 6 2024, 11:27pmHi Niamh, this route usually starts with usual 1km of fireroad. Is that changing?
Eiviltas Evan RadaviciusFeb 7 2024, 5:07pmHello, what time will registration open? Is there an early start?
Karl WalshFeb 8 2024, 9:34amIs there somewhere to drop bag b4 race..just change of clothes
Dave DochertyFeb 8 2024, 9:35amJudging by the race entries so far, its going to be a busy race. So we REALLY need people to carpool as much as possible. Thanks
Brendan LawlorFeb 8 2024, 10:19amHi Karl, there are some trees near the car park where you could leave a clothes bag for after the race ( at your own risk). Don’t leave any valuables.

The mountain rescue centre won’t be accessible after 11am and bags must NOT be left there.
Dave DochertyFeb 8 2024, 2:10pmWe hope to have race reg open at 0930 or a little before.
Dave DochertyFeb 8 2024, 2:12pmThere will be an early start @1030.
Eiviltas Evan RadaviciusFeb 8 2024, 2:32pmThank you very much Dave
Niamh O'CeallaighFeb 8 2024, 3:14pm@ Andy, sorry - a better route description.
Start at the barrier as usual and proceed 1.3km up forest track. Turn left onto a bike trail. Emerge at a public road. Turn right and cross over. After 50m, turn left onto a bike trail. Follow markers and marshals around a large loop of Trooperstown Hill. On completion of this loop, return down the bike trail. Cross the public road and turn down the bike trail again. This time follow bike trails all the way down to the finish.
Brendan LawlorFeb 8 2024, 3:23pmHi Niamh

Is the race starting at the forest barrier (across the bridge) or outside the National Parks offices ?
Dave DochertyFeb 8 2024, 4:46pmThe race route

https://www.outdooractive.com/en/r/286703264?share=%7Ezyidyaep%244ossedmr&utm_source=unknown&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=user-shared-social-content
Dave DochertyFeb 8 2024, 5:03pmEARLY STARTERS. The race start will be at the barrier across the bridge over the river beyond the carpark. This is approx 0.6km down from the race registration building. Please leave plenty of time to get registered and down to the start line before 1030am. You have permission to skip the registration que if required, just be nice about nice about it. A volunteer will do a count of runners at the startline, please be sure you have given your number to this volunteer.
Dave DochertyFeb 8 2024, 7:51pmFYI, folks. There is an entry limit of 200 on this race. Due to a website glitch outside of the RDs control, it reads 'none set' on the event page. But it will stop at 200. (I hope)
Dave DochertyFeb 8 2024, 7:58pmOn again to hammer home the carpooling. 158 entries sold and only 16 seats on the carpool. I think we can improve on this....
Dave DochertyFeb 8 2024, 10:59pmUPDATE!!The race limit is now 'unlimited' dispite what the event page says. Bring everybody. But please bring them in full cars!!
Niamh O'CeallaighFeb 8 2024, 11:00pm@brendan At the barrier (far side of bridge).
It is the summer route that starts up at the MR base.
Dave DochertyFeb 9 2024, 4:55pmFolks, race entries approaching 190 (possibly a record) I'm back on to hammer home the carpooling. Single occupancy vehicles may be asked to move on and park elsewhere. This is shaping up to be a very busy race. Please be patient and help our volunteers to get everyone to the start line safely and efficiently. Park responsibly and bare in mind that IMRA does not own the carpark. Others may need to use the carpark. The hill to the carpark is also residential access, so let's not upset people and jeopardise future races.
Dave DochertyFeb 10 2024, 7:55amPlenty of parking spaces available in the Kilmac carpark folks. Please please carpool. Park here and stick out your thumb. If anyone sees hitchhiking runners, help em out. Thanks
Alan KennedyFeb 10 2024, 2:26pmThanks to Dave and crew for a great race. Well marked and marshalled and shout out to Brian on the summit. Great buzz at the finish and a bonus that it stayed dry.
Alan AylingFeb 10 2024, 4:34pmBest spot prize ever!! <3 <3
Thanks Dave!
Phil behanFeb 10 2024, 6:51pmThanks to Dave and all the volunteers today. Excellent course. Well done all on a great event in the hills today.
Stuart ScottFeb 10 2024, 8:37pmWell done and thank you to Dave and everyone else for today. Great marking too Niamh. The new return route was excellent!
Alice ClancyFeb 10 2024, 8:45pmThanks so much Dave and all the volunteers!!! That was such a hard but lovely race! So much fun! Thanks to all the marshalls for their encouragement! The music at the turn into the forest was a lovely touch too!
Ailbhe DonnellanFeb 10 2024, 8:57pmThank you to Dave and all the volunteers for organising this race - it was excellent, very well marked, marshalled and a nice variety of terrain. Special shout out to the marshall with the dogs and the music - it gave me a great lift!
Paul MahonFeb 10 2024, 9:01pmThanks to Dave and his big team out there today for a great event on a fun route with on course tunes from DJ Eddie O :-)
Eiviltas Evan RadaviciusFeb 10 2024, 9:12pmThank you all for a wonderful race ;)
Yvonne CounihanFeb 11 2024, 9:52amThank you to all involved yesterday. Big shout out to dancing campervan man and Jill the first aid guru. Who do I contact regarding lost and found from yesterday? Thanks you.
Stephen BrennanFeb 11 2024, 9:57amThanks Dave, that was great fun. Thanks to all the volunteers too.
Dave DochertyFeb 11 2024, 12:42pm@Yvonne the only Lost and Found item at our race was yellow decathlon rain jacket. It is with the the race kit headed to the next race.
Gerry McGuinnessFeb 11 2024, 4:02pmThanks Dave and Crew for a great race.
Yvonne CounihanFeb 11 2024, 5:19pm@Dave- yes that’s my jacket.
Rob TobinFeb 11 2024, 6:11pmThanks to Dave and everyone who volunteered for putting on a great race yesterday. I felt I had a score to settle with the winter edition at Trooperstown having recorded a DNF in the snow here last year. Yesterday I managed to get above the woods and onto the open mountain, spurred on by funky disco music and furry mascots en route. Superb organisation from reg to raffle - thanks again to everyone involved.
Mike WalkerFeb 11 2024, 7:05pmThank you Dave, it was a fantastic race and much appreciation to all the volunteers.
Dave DochertyFeb 12 2024, 2:49pmThanks to all who helped make this race a success. Particularly to Niamh, whose course was very popular on the day. To all the marshals, race reg, and finish line crew. And to Steve and Daniel, who persevered to deliver quick and timely results. The very helpful staff at Kavanaghs of Roundwood. And a massive thanks to the mountain rescue folks for giving us the use of their premises for race registration. All in all, everything went very smoothly, and we hope you all had a good run. The parking was still a bit tight despite so many runners carpooling; this will need to kept up throughout the rest of the year, not only to tread a little lighter on the facilities we use on race day but also to build on IMRA's carbon reduction and offsetting initiatives of the great Angela Flynn. One other thing worth mentioning. Some people, presumably attending our race, parked up on the main road above race reg, blocking emergency access to fire roads. NEVER block these barriers; they are there to allow emergency access to help and save mountain users just like us. Thanks again; see you in the hills soon.