Irish Mountain
Running Association

Howth Winter

AuthorDateMessage
Derek JonesJan 9 2024, 7:09pmHi,
Joseph Boyle RD - Is there a junior race at Howth Winter?
My 10yr old daughter is interested in competing.
Thanks
Derek
Joseph BoyleJan 9 2024, 8:54pmDerek, there will be a junior race in Howth, I'm just waiting on the all clear for our preferred start location before posting final details. If you view the 2023 race it'll show you the expected route and your daughter will be more than welcome. There should be a good few juniors taking part and please review the information on the website in relation to junior rules.
Derek JonesJan 10 2024, 8:27amGreat news, thanks Joseph. I'm down for volunteering at Howth, if a suitable job be assigned to allow me run with her would be much appreciated.
Regards
Derek
Joseph BoyleJan 10 2024, 5:00pmAs John has a full compliment of volunteers for Brockagh, I'd like to put out a call for a laptop operator, about 4 more non running and about 4 more running volunteers.
Tom SOMMERJan 17 2024, 7:02pmHi Joseph,
I'm very new to IMRA. Is this booked out or not yet open for registrations? Please let me know if there is a way to know on the website when a race is booked out, I may have missed it.
Best wishes,
Tom
Mikey FryJan 17 2024, 7:39pmTom usually opens the week of the race will say on the event page the day it will open keep an eye on event:)
Joseph BoyleJan 18 2024, 12:41pmTom, As Mikey covered in his post, usually opens on a Tuesday or Wednesday and is open up to 18:00 on the evening before the race. No limit on this race, just to note where there is a limit on other races a glitch in the system stops it 1 short of the total. At this point it's full even though it still shows 1 entry still available.
WE COULD STILL DO WITH SOME MORE VOLUNTEERS FOR THIS RACE!!!
Tom SOMMERJan 18 2024, 9:12pmThanks a million Joseph and Mikey. I really appreciate your answers.
I will sign up next week and Howth Winter will be my first race with IMRA so, looking forward toi it!
Mikey FryJan 18 2024, 9:57pmAlso ask warren he loves howth:))))))))))))
Sorcha LoughnaneJan 20 2024, 9:43pmDo you still need volunteers for this race? Available as a non-running volunteer.
Joseph BoyleJan 24 2024, 11:59amA few days out from the race just a few items to clarify in relation to the race parking. There is limited parking in the grounds of Howth Castle, therefore if possible could everyone try an carpool from the harbour area where there's free parking or use public transport that is located less than a kilometre from registration.
Parking is in the bottom two rows of the Golf Cbub and about 15 spots in the gravel area opposite the Castle itself. We don't have permission to park at the Castle, the Cookery School or on any of driveway verges. Please respect this as we hope to return in future years.
We could still do with a few more non running volunteers for marshalling on the course.
Turlough ConwayJan 24 2024, 1:03pmI'll help with marshalling Joe.
Andrew HanneyJan 24 2024, 1:28pmJoseph, is there an update on the post race cake situation?
Mark McInerneyJan 24 2024, 2:59pmHoping to cycle over from Lucan. Sure aren't I great haha
Bernard GaughranJan 25 2024, 7:43pmQuestion about the equipment listed. Do we strictly need to carry this equipment listed? Its my second race ever and the 12Km race I did in November around the Sugar Loaf required none of this...

Hat or buff
Gloves
Whistle
Charged mobile phone with emergency number stored
Foil blanket, bivvy bag or equivalent
Eoin KeithJan 25 2024, 7:47pmhttps://www.imra.ie/news/view/id/653/
Joseph BoyleJan 25 2024, 10:00pmPhotos uploaded of tape from Trooperstown sorted for use in Howth this Saturday. Reminder that registration closes at 18:00 on Friday and no late entries, so don't ask. We're doing our bit for sustainability, I 'd love to see some carpooling and hopefully use of public transport or cycling like Mark.
Anne LyonsJan 26 2024, 12:02amHi Joseph do you still need volunteers.im running but can be there at 9 to help out if needed
Grace EganJan 26 2024, 6:38amHi, just added myself as non running volunteer for tomorrow not sure if you still need volunteers? Thanks Grace
Joseph BoyleJan 26 2024, 8:33amThanks Anne I appreciate the offer, we should be okay now as Grace and Jean have stepped up. We have sufficient volunteers now for this race, please look to future races that need to be filled. To all volunteers instructions will be emailed to you this morning.
Anne-Claire MondeJan 26 2024, 10:24amHi, this is my very 1sf IMRA race, and I look forward to meeting you guys. I am planning to travel with the DART and walk. Is there a place where participants can leave a small bag ? Thanks
Joseph BoyleJan 26 2024, 12:22pmAnne-Claire congrats on your first IMRA race and we hope you have a good time. To answer your question we do have a room, however it may not be supervised at all times and the usual caveat is not to leave anything valuable in it.
P.S. this was where I ran my first race a few years ago, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Bernard GaughranJan 26 2024, 1:16pmThanks Eoin for clarifying the equipment rules. Weather seems to be mild tomorrow. Unfortunately, dont think I can get my hands on a Foil blanket/bivvy bag before tomorrow. So, I understand without all this kit, I should not enter. Thats a shame
Lillian DeeganJan 26 2024, 1:40pmHi Bernard,

I’ve been in touch with RD Joe on race kit biz. Your foil blanket troubles came up. By chance, Joe would be able to give you a new foil blanket in a bid to have you at registration with the right kit ahead of the race. If you want to take Joe up on his offer, the cost will be 5 euro and it can be paid by card at the reg. desk on race morning.

Good luck beyond if you opt to head over.

Lillian
Vladimir RusinovJan 26 2024, 1:50pmBernard, I have a spare foil blanket and can loan it to you if it's a requirement on the day.

Note: there was a bunch of them on sale in 53deg North in Carrickmines.
Andrew HanneyJan 26 2024, 3:02pmJody, looking forward to the race tomorrow. John Bell set a high bar last week and I'm sure you will be moving it higher still.
Just my own thoughts... I expect I'll park down at the public car park, so it means the car will be some distance away. It probably means I'll bring items that are then not essential to the start point. Will probably drop the non required items in a bag in that room so, the only issue is remembering to collect it after. I will write it on my arm perhaps :)
Otherwise, do you think a post could be put up in the morning saying what the exact kit is? Even an hour before the race....
Otherwise I predict the IMRA lost and found will be getting a lot of gloves, foil blankets etc.
Joseph BoyleJan 26 2024, 7:33pmAndy, you make a good point but you're putting me on the spot the evening before the race. As it stands I have to follow the new guidelines set down by the committee. This means that you're required to have the kit available to you if required. The actual kit requirement on the day will be posted on the board at registration. From your experience I reckon you can work out the requirement for a race in what looks like good weather and the route has access to roads for emergency services within a maximum distance of 500 metres. In the meantime I'll take it up with the League Director, s""t that's me.
Andrew HanneyJan 26 2024, 7:58pmThanks Jody. That’s all good.
REBECCA CAROLANJan 27 2024, 6:14pmSuper race this morning, thanks so much to everyone for a well organised and well marshalled course! Tough, but great!
Keelin HolmesJan 27 2024, 6:49pmWell done today Rebecca and everyone else who took part ! This was my second race with IMRA and I really enjoyed it and got to meet new people and lots of support from all the volunteers! Thank you to Alida for getting me over a slump! Your words really helped me, Keelin !
Gerry McGuinnessJan 27 2024, 8:12pmThanks to Jody and crew for another great day out on the hills.
Shane O'MalleyJan 27 2024, 8:27pmAnother brilliant race and the least number of times I have taken a wrong turn in howth.
Well done to RD and crew and especially the race marker who kept me mostly out of trouble.

Already looking forward to the pain of the next one.
Andrew HanneyJan 27 2024, 9:56pmThanks Jody and helpers for this mornings race. Lots of new faces out enjoying the hills. Great to see.
Phil behanJan 27 2024, 10:09pmWell done to Jo and all the team. Howth is never an easy race to pull off and hopefully not too many got lost. We have big issues with the course being demarked before the race and this year was no exception. The marshalling today was also spot on so well done on that front also. I think Howth is becoming a less complex beast year on year. Well done again all and see you again for the summer route.
Joseph BoyleJan 29 2024, 8:36amA big thank you to all the fantastic volunteers that made Saturday such a great day for the runners and made my life so easy. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.
I also have to congratulate Enda Cloake on another win here, after winning the Ballyhoura Moonlight Challange on Friday evening.
Please look to the upcoming Leinster League races to see where you can volunteer. It's fun and can be a great way to get to know more people.