Irish Mountain
Running Association

New Mandatory Kit Rules

AuthorDateMessage
Alan AylingJan 5 2024, 1:00pmCan everyone please take a look at the News Item on the homepage about the mandatory kit rules?
There's a link in there that explains everything.
If anything isn't clear after reading the document, this is the place to ask questions. But please read first!!
Paul SmythJan 5 2024, 2:02pmI don't have any disagreement with the kit requirements but I think you are making everything too complicated.

Why not just have one set of mandatory kit - the Advanced one (renamed as Standard). Then everyone should bring EVERYTHING on that list, to EVERY race. At the race there can be a board showing what is required on that day. That would eliminate all sorts of possibilities for hassle and confusion.

Regular runners will probably keep their kit prepared so that they can just grab it and go to a race.

The details on the event page will then always be the same - Bring full kit!

The only exception would be the map which would need to be specified for each race separately, since in some cases a runner might not already have the required map, and will have to get it in advance of the race.

I can hear the inevitable cries of "It'll be too expensive...", etc. Hill running is overall a very cheap sport. Would you go kayaking without all the essential gear (paddle, wetsuit, gloves, booties, boat...)? Or mountain biking? Or in fact, practically any sport?
Alan AylingJan 5 2024, 3:29pmHi Paul,
Thanks for the feedback. I hope you'll understand a lot of thought went into the process. Try as we might, there simply is no "one size fits all", other than the "bring everything" you describe. In a sense, that is in itself overcomplicating things! Asking people to bring maps, full waterproof body cover, food... to a forest trail race lacks sense or credibility in my opinion.
You're absolutely right that regular runners are likely to have their kit prepared, but we're trying to consider those newer to the sport, especially those looking to try a trail race and build from there. We were striving to keep things as simple as possible for everyone (RDs, runners), whilst maintaining the balance with good race safety practices and a sense of credible proportionality to risk (high risk race = bring all the gear; forest trail race = bring the basic jacket).

What was lacking up to now was
a) clarity
b) consistency

Time will tell, but I'm confident in a few months' time we'll all have got used to the new way and it will all be a big non-issue.
Paul SmythJan 5 2024, 3:57pmThe Advanced list is hardly onerous! A hat, gloves, jacket, leggings, water container, snack, whistle, phone, foil blanket, compass, and if required a map.

How will you deal with the inevitable:

'I thought this was a ____ event, you mean it's not?" (Insert your choice of Low Level, Standard, Advanced).

Or what about the situation where the event was originally posted as a/an ____ (Insert your choice of Low Level, Standard, Advanced) event and then is changed, either because that was a mistake, or because the RD changed his mind about it, or because the weather forecast changed a day or two before the race? People already barely read the details on the event pages as it is, let alone re-read them or the forum in case the kit requirement changes.

Etc., etc.

Anyway, I've said my piece.
Andrew HanneyJan 5 2024, 5:16pmSomething to watch out for as I saw this in one open mountain race with kit checks where a group of three checked in their gear at the start, but what actually happened was they put it all in one bag and one of the group carried it. They did not actually run together at times in the race.

Everyone should have to carry their own gear. I know it makes sense to 99% of people but there's always that 1%.
John Murphy74Jan 8 2024, 10:24pmHow does the mandatory kit work for junior races?
Alan AylingJan 9 2024, 6:31pmPaul - with the inevitable disqualification. And what was posted will be what's applied; there shouldn't be mistakes or changes between kit levels. One of the things we're trying to do here is clean up the info on the race pages and make everything as clear as can possibly be. If people won't read the info they'll have to learn the hard way.

John - the same way as for everyone else. There won't be juniors in the "Advanced" races anyway due to those races being either very long or unmarked or both.
Conor NolanJan 16 2024, 12:01pmAlan, could you elaborate a bit on the jacket requirements. The guidence for the three levels gives A) shower and windproof, B) waterproof and C) waterproof with hood taped seams. In particular, what is expected for Standard (B)? Any chance of examples of products. Not necessarily recommendations, just an example..
Thanks.
John Murphy74Jan 17 2024, 10:42pmAlan, sorry I haven't replied. I am thinking of my ten year old who doesnt have a mobile phone for instance. If an adult is running with their junior runner can they carry their gear for them in the adults pack? Not trying to bend any rules, just having it straight in my head.
Brian KitsonJan 18 2024, 7:00amHi John, as Alan has already explained juniors will not be doing advanced races and therefore will not require a mobile phone. Like everyone else, they should carry their own kit ie a Showerproof jacket

Conor, re Jackets. My view is that the jacket used for Standard and Advanced races will ook quite similar however, a jacket with taped seams is likely to be a little heavier duty and provide improved waterproofing performance and therefore should better cope with prolonged exposure to precipitation than one without. As a result it may cost a bit extra. Not everyone will bother entering Advanced races so i imagine the option for jacket b is there to a save such runners the cost of having to invest in a taped seam jacket they might not need.
John Murphy74Jan 18 2024, 8:16amBrian, thanks. Just wanted to be really clear on it.
Alan AylingJan 18 2024, 5:27pmThanks Brian - Conor I hope Brian has answered your question?

We'd prefer not to get into specific brand recommendations.
The aim for the Level C is very much that we want people to have a jacket that gives a decent level of protection if a situation arises where a runner is out in bad weather conditions for a potentially extended time. So a jacket that would do for a Wednesday night league race where you're unlikely to be on the hill for more than an hour or two - that might not really be much good for keeping you warm for 5 or 6 hours if things don't go to plan on an ultra or a long nav race. Runners taking part in those longer/more remote races really need to make sure for their own sake they have suitable kit.

Hope that makes sense.
Mikey FryJan 18 2024, 6:12pmWhere do you get that size wispas?and what if you don’t like them still a dnf….just realised that dnf stands for…..”don’t need Frenchfancies”. :))))
Conor NolanJan 18 2024, 7:10pmThanks Alan, Brian. That helps. I think my confusion was the grade of jacket required for Standard. And the answer appears to be it depends.