Irish Mountain
Running Association

Garmin biggest screen

AuthorDateMessage
Mark AlexanderJan 4 2024, 9:23pmHi

Apologies if covered before. Looking a recommendatio for best garmin for mountain running with biggest screen & good navigation functionality?

Thank you

Mark
Alan AustinJan 4 2024, 10:19pmI've a Garmin fenix 6 Pro solar , good size screen savage battery and maps with trails on it
Eoin McDonnellJan 5 2024, 7:52amSecond for the Fenix. It's not cheap but good screen, great battery life and the maps have really helped me a few times in fog / heavy rain.
Eoin KeithJan 5 2024, 9:50amYou have to decide what is most important in terms of requirements. If you want mapping that confines you to the more expensive options (and if you want to use your watch for navigation then mapping is the most significant requirement).

The big 3 high-end Garmins are Fenix 7, Enduro 2 and Epix 2. The best screen you can get is the Garmin Epix 2 Pro 51mm (Bigger screen means bigger battery and bigger views of maps). The Epix screens are AMOLED, and brighter and higher res than the others. The downside to that is reduced battery performance compared to the equivalent Fenix. The 51mm is the biggest, which helps for Nav. All 3 ranges have a 51mm option. The Enduro 2 has the best battery performance. All 3 have similar technical abilities. Suunto and Coros also have high-end watches that have good battery life and navigation.

My own preference was for the Epix. The screen quality was the deciding factor.

DC Rainmaker is a good website for getting neutral reviews of sports watches.
Paul CollinsJan 5 2024, 11:55amMorning,
As said, the top 3 would be the fenix 7, epix and the enduro 2
I've been using the enduro 2 for about 6 months now and must
Very impressed with it, screen is large, map resolution it excellent
And the battery life is phenomal, biggest issue is finding the cable after so long lol

If
John J BarryJan 5 2024, 12:40pmDon't forget the Garmin gpsmap handheld range. Far cheaper than the three listed above and very rugged for mountain use. .

Okay they are big and bulky. I keep mine in the chest pocket on my running vest.

I have this one of years - great peace of kit especially on open mountains.

https://www.garmin.com/en-IE/p/669284/pn/010-02258-11

You see many athletics use similiar on the Spine Race...
Eamonn HodgeJan 5 2024, 12:55pmWith Garmin Fenix there are some different sizes:

Fenix 6S - 42mm
Fenix 6 - 47mm
Fenix 6X - 51mm

(same for the Fenix 7 range)

Also bigger battery on the 6X and 7X compared to the others.
Mark AlexanderJan 5 2024, 3:38pmThank you, much appreciated everyone
John J BarryJan 7 2024, 4:23pmAnyone get the Instinct 2X? I have the original Instinct and thinking of upgrading. Budget doesn't stretch to Fenix 7. So thinking Fenix 6 or Instinct 2X Solar.