Irish Mountain
Running Association

Art O'Neill recce

AuthorDateMessage
Aiga Marta VeltensoneNov 21 2023, 10:35amHi, anyone interested in doing Art O'Neill recce /s?
Chris SiddellNov 21 2023, 10:45amI'd be interested - I've done parts of the sections in the last couple of weeks. My main constraint is I'm away from Ireland 1-19th December!!

I was considering heading up 27 or 29th November for a half day even
Eoin HamiltonNov 21 2023, 10:58amI'd be up for organising a few recce runs! Most weekends work for me. saturdays are best
Jemma McCarthyNov 21 2023, 11:12amI'd be interested in tagging along too for the mooch
Eoin HamiltonNov 21 2023, 11:27amDoes this Saturday morning suit for anyone? I'll be heading up to do a section.
Aiga Marta VeltensoneNov 21 2023, 2:12pmGreat, lots of interest, thank you!

I can do this Saturday morning Eoin.
Dave DochertyNov 21 2023, 3:22pmI have a loose plan with two others to recce leg 2 early on Sunday Dec 3rd. TBC
Eoin HamiltonNov 21 2023, 3:24pmgreat! Happy to go early.
I was going to aim for 8am start at Ballinagee bridge and do an out and back. But we could possibly do a one way with 2 cars.
Aiga Marta VeltensoneNov 21 2023, 4:04pmYes I have a car so we can do one way.
Are you planning to do a route towards Kippure House or Glenmalure?
Could you perhaps send me your phone numbers to aigaveltensone@gmail.com whoever is interested in recces.
I could create a group if that's ok.
Thanks.
Chris SiddellNov 21 2023, 4:05pmI should be good for Saturday morning...I'm not very fast though!

Did have a quick look that section to Art's Cross and really in two minds on if I went the best way for me / in general so be great to have another look.
Eoin HamiltonNov 21 2023, 4:15pmI have done that section a few times Chris. There are a couple of options. It will all depend on the weather.
John Murphy74Nov 21 2023, 5:33pmI have done the race 4 times. Up to Arts cross has a few options. Easiest nav is to follow the stream and climb up by the waterfall. You could also cross between the two strams and head up the shoulder but I found that hard to navigate when visibility became zero two years ago.
Chris SiddellNov 21 2023, 6:50pmThat's my dilemma - I think on a clear day I'd go the shoulder but easier navigation is a big draw in the dark!
John Murphy74Nov 21 2023, 9:35pmI had recced the shoulder in 2021 but in the dark and the fog it was difficult so in the lovely weather last year I decided to go up by the waterfall. Its a horrible climb but if your not confident on navigation in bad weather then easier. It's the stretch over Billy Byrnes gap that needs plenty of recces as it's very featureless.
Warren SwordsNov 22 2023, 9:54amIs there any reason why no-one is going the fastest route?
John Murphy74Nov 22 2023, 10:16amWhich is the fastest route Warren?
Brendan LawlorNov 22 2023, 10:20amHi Warren and others

From memory crossing the river lower down and going up the shoulder (with Nye Rocks on your left as you descend ) is definitely a quicker way up to Arts Cross but as one or two have mentioned the navigation can be tricky.

The other option is to stay on the left hand bank of the river and climb up after you pass the Art O Neill memorial. For that option the river provides a good handrail but it definitely takes a bit longer

Good luck to you all with the Recces and just a reminder that the grounds of Kippure Estate and the route past Murphy's farm up to Ballydonnell Forest Entrance and CP1 is private and off limits for recces. This section will be marked and marshalled on the night
Warren SwordsNov 22 2023, 10:25amI've already said too much John ;)
Brendan LawlorNov 22 2023, 10:32amGood man Warren.. always ready with the ladle !
John Murphy74Nov 22 2023, 12:18pmSay no more Warren! Wink wink nod nod! Brendan, I agree that approach was really good ( up by the rocks) when I did my recces in 2021 then on the night I couldnt see anything and it was very slow going and I ended up overshooting the trail up to the cross by a good few metres. I will miss all that fun this year!