Irish Mountain
Running Association

Djouce Remembrance Race

AuthorDateMessage
Andrew HanneyNov 17 2023, 8:15pmOnly a few short weeks to go before the last race of the calendar, where did that year go?
Let's ensure this race goes smooth can by the numbers, so I need to fill the key roles of laptop operator and first aider so we can get on with planning the fun.
More details will follow once those roles are filled. Thank you.
Brendan LawlorDec 1 2023, 9:02amHi

Our final race of 2023 is the Djouce Remembrance Race. At this race we remember any IMRA members who are no longer with us.

This year Jean O'Neill's sister , Claire Walsh sadly died, so we will remember her on the day. We will also remember and pay tribute to IMRA members from previous years who are gone but never forgotten. There are photos of these members on the photos page of this event, so please take a moment to look through and remember these legends, rascals and hill running friends of ours. They all shared our love of the mountains and we miss each and every one of them.

If you are aware of anyone we may have omitted this year (or any year) please get in contact on 0ate7 2four327nine8

Thanks
Brendan LawlorDec 6 2023, 8:03amSadly we have been notified of another of our members who we lost this year. Noel Guilfoyle died in June of this year. His brother Gary is also an IMRA member and we offer our condolences to Gary and to Noel's wife , children ,family and friends. May Noel Rest in Peace and we will remember him and his love of the mountains and hillrunning on December 27th at our race.
Jim DurhamDec 10 2023, 9:48pmI note that this event starts/ends at the Djouce Wood Long Hill car park. I was out there today and that car park is currently closed. The trails from the next car park up the hill are narrow and rough.
Andrew HanneyDec 10 2023, 11:53pmThanks Jim, There is a lot of felling going on in the area at the moment. We are keeping an eye on it. There are also a number of newly downed trees due to the high winds these past days so the course may change a little.
Jemma McCarthyDec 12 2023, 7:21amHi all,
I've added my car as a carpool option from enniskerry village carpark. I've put the time as 9:15 which is quite early but figured it could be flexible!

Unrelated question - we aren't able to sign up for this event yet on the website? (Or am I being a bit thick?)

Thanks!
Jemma
Brendan LawlorDec 12 2023, 8:23amHi Jemma

Entry for this race will open soon
Alan KennedyDec 12 2023, 8:43amHi Brendan, I have a friend visiting from overseas at Xmas that would like to join in this run. So do I just need to register him for the membership and then the race entry?
Brendan LawlorDec 12 2023, 9:24amHi Alan

Yes that’s it
Andrew HanneyDec 12 2023, 7:45pmWe will open this race for entries on 18th Dec. We want to make sure that we have access to the Djouce woods car park first which is currently closed.
Gerry McGuinnessDec 16 2023, 2:23pmAndrew,
Sorry had to withdraw from Volunteering for this event.
Andrew HanneyDec 16 2023, 9:31pmNo problem Gerry.

Update on the course: I will check the route tomorrow and post more details.
Andrew HanneyDec 17 2023, 2:34pmCourse was checked today. It has a few downed trees but they are easily passed. Please check this page later in the week for route updates. Currently the Djouce woods car park is still closed and there is a small chance we may need to base ourselves in the middle car park.

One major point. The success of the event depends on car pooling. There is already one car pool (thanks Jemma) on offer from Enniskerry. It would be great to see those availed off. To accept a car pool seat, just sign into the site and go to the event page.
Elvin LaugierDec 17 2023, 11:00pmHello,
My name is Elvin Laugier, I am a Brezhoneg fell runner and I will be participating in the Djouce Remembrance Race. I'm on holiday in Eire and I don't have a car, I'm looking for someone who is leaving from Dublin to go to the race.
Thank you very much.
Elvin
Jemma McCarthyDec 18 2023, 8:14amHi Elvin,
If you can't find a lift from town, then you can get the 44 bus to enniskerry (the very last stop) and I'll give you a lift from there to the start. I can drop you back to the bus or the Luas after.

You can use apps like TFI live or citymapper to plan your journey.

Thanks
Jemma
Elvin LaugierDec 18 2023, 10:39amThank you Jemma. Do you know where can I find the hours about 44 bus please ? I don't have smartphone, then impossible for me tu use apps.
I'm OK with you picking me up at the bus stop in Enniskerry. Is it the bus stop in front of Ennikerry Village Square ? What time can we meet on race day ?
Have a good day, thank you again.
Elvin
Andrew HanneyDec 18 2023, 9:39pmThe junior route for this event will be a 4.5km loop. Starting off the same descent as the main race but at 1km in will stay left at the junction and continue back up the fire road. Just before the paddocks it will rejoin the main route for the return to the finish.

https://plotaroute.com/route/2466920
Andrew HanneyDec 20 2023, 2:34pmGreat to see the entries coming in for this event.

Would be cool to see some chat about car sharing efforts. Even to advise that you are bringing a certain number of people in your car.

We cannot expect to fit over 100 cars in the Djouce woods car park. If we don't have information on car sharing we may have to send single occupancy cars to the middle car park, its a nice 1 km warm to the registration.
Car pooling is not only a great way to be kind to the environment.... it saves money, saves additional stress on volunteers, leaves space for the general public so its good for PR.... and finally you get to share your awesome race stories.
Brendan LawlorDec 20 2023, 3:55pmJust to add further to Andy's message re car pooling...

We will have limited car parking at the Djouce Remembrance Race so now might be the time to have a think about how you might improve your carpooling if you are a regular single occupant car runner.

Here are a few ideas
- form a Whats App group with two or three of your regular running buddies and try to coordinate for race lifts
- put your car up in the IMRA car pool section
-plan to go to the designated carpooling locations before the race and see if you can either give a lift or get a lift

For Djouce Remembrance Run the recommended carpooling locations will be
-Kilmac public car park
-Roundwood main street parking
-Enniskerry main street parking
-Car Parks further along the Long Hill road

Other ideas and options are
- cycle to the race
-bring a bike in your car and cycle the last section having parked your car away from the main parking location
-park nearby and jog to the registration area
Eoin PhelanDec 22 2023, 8:37amCan anyone post the gps co-ordinates to the start location please?
Andrew HanneyDec 22 2023, 12:06pmAll, we have had to set a limit of 150 participants for this race and we are nearly there.
This is to ensure we are not overwhelmed with parking issues on the day.
So if you intend on doing this race get booked in.
Liam VinesDec 22 2023, 1:14pmDon’t be panicking too much.. We do have to put a cap on numbers because of car parking and the fact that it is such a popular place the few days after Christmas.
But the cap is 180 seeing as we’re in darts season..
Happy Christmas all..
Brian FarrenDec 22 2023, 1:22pmHi. Can’t enter even though limit increased. Showing as sold out in online shop.
Brendan LawlorDec 22 2023, 1:27pmUPDATE and A REMINDER

As per Liam's message below we have 30 additional places for this race. A reminder that entries for this event will close once we his our 180 entry limit (very likely) or at 6pm on Tuesday 26th Dec (to allow time to print the race entry list)

Please do your best to help us out on the parking front.. we may have to divert single occupant cars to the middle car park, 1km up the road. Andy will update in due course on this.

Happy Christmas to you all !
Brendan LawlorDec 22 2023, 1:28pmHi Brian

Please bare with us while we sort that out
Brian FarrenDec 22 2023, 1:51pmThanks Brendan
Niamh BrophyDec 22 2023, 4:12pmTrying to purchase one of the remaining entries. Saying product unavailable, can you advise?
Eva FairmanerDec 22 2023, 4:15pmI am anxious that myself and my son, Jack, can enter the race and hope there are still places as it will not let me purchase from the shop.
Mikey FryDec 22 2023, 4:21pmMaybe Eva tell Andrew you’ll bring along a shed load of French fancies:)))
Brendan LawlorDec 22 2023, 5:37pmApologies to anyone who has missed out. Unfortunately the parking situation is against us. We had 130 in the race last year and the car park was crammed, so Andy set a 150 limit in the shop.

Even with 150 we would need very good car pooling so the new limit of 180 will test us further. Andy will update further on this soon
Andrew HanneyDec 22 2023, 11:05pmJust some background here as I know this generated some chat today.
Before setting this race to 150 runners, I reviewed last years attendance which had 130 runners. On that date, the car park was full.
So when this race went into the shop it had a limit of 150, it was not some random number but decided upon after careful review and it would some extra pressure to car pool.
Then the race went today to 180 runners due to demand. (I'm not why its stuck at 178). This will result in some stricter parking criteria.
To help us out, please check the earlier posts about car pooling.
People should congregate at those car pooling locations and head up in as few cars as possible. For example to meet at the Kilmacanogue public car park for 9am, gather in cars and drive up.
The option of the middle car park (Calary) is a good one. If you are a single occupancy car, and you are under M60 or F60, you should proceed to the middle car park. It is a nice 1.5km run or cycle to the start.
This location of the middle car park is here: https://maps.app.goo.gl/KRjGraG23zh6toSe9
The route to the start from Calary Car Park is https://www.plotaroute.com/route/2469457
Now that’s said we can get back to discussing what is always a great event. Just for any newcomers, it should be noted this event will have a mix of people racing, and those just enjoying the scenery as they go around. There will be a junior course of 4.8km which uses the lovely Mags Way, and that route will also serve as a short course for those that might think the main route is too much.
Thank you to all the volunteers who have signed up, some of whom have already being helping a lot in the background. I will be emailing all the helpers in the next day or two with the role details.
Registration will open at 9am. If this is your first race of the year you will need to collect your race number and your race timing chip. All runners need to then sign in by way of being crossed off the list of participants, you will need to indicate which course you are doing and finally but crucially you must go to the laptop desk and have your timing chip scanned.
Please note it is mandatory to have a rain proof jacket for IMRA races. I would encourage people to weather trail runners as the ground is quite soft and muddy in places. Seasonal dress is encouraged and people are encouraged to bring their Christmas leftovers to share in the car park (fingers crossed for the weather).
Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and looking forward to seeing you all on the 27th.
Andrew HanneyDec 23 2023, 10:46pmSlight change to the junior & short course (SC) to reduce fireroad and make for a nicer run (total distance 4.9km. The junior/SC route will be the same as the senior route until 1.8km in. At this point the long coursers take a right turn and cross the river to go up the zig zags. The juniors/SC go straight on to run up Mags Way. At the top of Mags way they turn left (the will rejoin the senior route briefly before taking a short cut off the paddocks and then rejoin the senior route for the last 2km home. Everything will be fully an clearly marked on both routes.

https://www.plotaroute.com/route/2470067

The route was checked today and the going is soft :)
James HeggieDec 24 2023, 1:41pmPlucks Is open again if anyone wants an after race pint
Torben DahlDec 24 2023, 6:04pmThe cap on this race should have been set upfront, not days after opening the registration! I went in early and no cap so didn’t rush to buy an entry until I was sure I could make it just to realise today that a cap was since introduced… As usual I am sure a lot of entries are now lost as people register just in case they can make it… What a disappointing end to the IMRA year.
Andrew HanneyDec 24 2023, 9:46pmHi Torben, thanks for the feedback. You will know that IMRA events can be an involving process, so that its good practice to check event pages as they get close. You will also know that Djouce woods is a confined space so I think the shock and disappointment factor is being overstated here.
The moment I got access to the RD rights in early December, I set the limit to 150. Unfortunately that only set the limit in the shop and was visible there but not on the main page.
Andrew HanneyDec 26 2023, 6:21pmA few late withdrawals from helping thru no fault of their own. We could do with two more running helpers. To help oversee the reg process…..
Jemma McCarthyDec 26 2023, 6:48pmAs noone is in my carpool, I'm Happy to arrive earlier to help registration or whatever else needs to be done. I'm registered to run so ideally could volunteer and run please. Thank you.
Laura FlynnDec 26 2023, 6:58pmI’ll come along too Andy . Not running but wouldn’t mind walking route if it fits in with your plans.
Can you just confirm what time you’d want me there from.
Thanks
Andrew HanneyDec 26 2023, 7:08pmThank you all. Within 10 minutes I had 5 extra volunteer offers. We have enough now. A revised email will shortly be sent to helpers.
Miriam MaherDec 26 2023, 7:29pmBeing the RD for the last race of the 2023 IMRA calendar two days after Christmas is no easy ask. Thanks very much to Andrew Hanney for taking it on!

Looking forward to seeing everyone for a very traditional muckfest, rain riddled, last outing of the year.

Great to hear everyone has rowed in to support Andy, IMRA spirit in full force! Remember - please car pool where at all possible and look up alternative car parking options nearby too if your car isn’t full.

Miriam
Andrew HanneyDec 26 2023, 7:48pmA few last minute thoughts ahead of tomorrow.
The best thing you can do to help our races run efficiently is arrive in good time. So please allow plenty of travel time to get there.
I have already covered the car pooling. The marshals will not be policing the suggested rule, it is up to you to help us out in that regard. I was in the car park this morning at the same time today, and 20 spaces were already taken by the general public…
The laptop will be close to registrations at 9:50am. If you arrive after that time you can’t be in the race. Please arrive no later than 9:30, if its your first race, 9:15 (as there is more involved). Reg opens from 9am...
If it’s your first race of the year, it will help a lot if you have written down your race number. Phone signal in Djouce woods is not guaranteed.
Please listen to all the marshals during the reg process and visit the stages of registration.
Tomorrow the weather looks windy and wet, so please be prepared. You will be crossing a river and the ground is very muddy around the paddocks so trail shoes are recommended and you should have a dry pair for after. There is no running line that will keep your feet dry..so get into those puddles good and early :)
The presentation for winners will be on the finish line and the prize draw in the car park after. Hopefully there will be a break in the weather. Make sure to bring those Christmas leftovers and tea/coffee to share in the car park. I’m told…our volunteers will accept payment in cake.
Looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow.
Andrew HanneyDec 26 2023, 8:11pmThere is some fascinating history behind the paddocks or dry lakes.... this was posted by Angela Flynn a few years ago. Well worth the read.... Imagine if those lakes were reinstated, would be amazing.

https://www.imra.ie/forum/topic/id/5678

https://www.irelandtourguide.ie/single-post/powerscourt-s-paddock-ponds-a-short-history

https://media.imra.ie/photographs/2020_1608_603af615ef010.jpg
Andrew HanneyDec 26 2023, 9:02pmHow could I forget…. Festive wear is encouraged! It could get you a prize!
Alan KennedyDec 27 2023, 12:25pmGreat event Andrew and crew. Car parking was perfect and the pooling message definitely got through based on the activity in Kilmac. Nice mucky run and so lucky for the rain to hold off. Happy New Year to all in IMRA.
Ruairí LongDec 27 2023, 1:51pmGreat race today lads, thanks to all the volunteers and the RD. Potentially the fastest first kilometre of any IMRA race?
Miriam MaherDec 27 2023, 1:59pmThanks Andrew, Brendan and all your fantastic volunteer team for a super event to end a great year of racing in IMRA. Always a lovely race, taking time to think about those no longer with us while doing what they enjoyed so much.

Happy New Year to everyone, looking forward to what 2024 brings to all of us.

Miriam
Ollie DochertyDec 27 2023, 2:13pmMy first win today. Thanks to all the nice people who helped me and my little bro get around the course today. Great work Andy and gang.
Richard NunanDec 27 2023, 2:33pmGreat to see everyone out on the mud today, thanks Andrew, Brendan and all the volunteers - must have taking you guys along time to put that much water on the course !

Some run from Ruairi Long in 1st place!
Karl BourneDec 27 2023, 5:52pmThanks Andy and crew for a fantastic race today. Nice mudfest to finish out the year and I bagged a bottle of IPA in the raffle. Winner! Bring on Brockagh Burst Jan 21st
Brendan LawlorDec 27 2023, 7:33pmWell done and thank you to Andy and his great team of volunteers ( both running and non running) for a great Djouce mud fest. As others said earlier this can be a tricky race to organise and this year we had the added complication of the car park being closed by Coillte the week before the race ( they were felling)

We apologize again to anyone who missed out due to the race limits ( which were raised from 150 to 180) but that could well be IMRA’s future as we struggle to deal with the necessity to be sustainable while also being inclusive and promoting our sport.. a tricky conundrum and balancing act.

For next year we will try to get a new solution which won’t involve any race limit ( but will still need good car pooling)
Andrew HanneyDec 27 2023, 9:45pmA big thanks to my small army of helpers this morning that made everything move so seamlessly despite the initial challenging conditions. Even as I drove into the car park before the appointed meeting time, some of them were already guiding cars to their places. Thank you for making the RD role so easy.
It was a great privilege to RD this race, I know its an event that many hold dear and look forward to. Yes a few things could have been done differently but we learn and we bring that into our planning in the future. Three people who has missed out on the race entry, immediately contacted me to help out as they wanted to be there for the craic, that is the IMRA spirit.
The after race feedback was so fulfilling… to hear that people really enjoyed the course. It was fantastic that there were so many first time IMRA runners there to enjoy the event. This is why the route or location should not change next year. People love it.
Until the next time. Would be great to see some race reports to recount the event. I did indeed miss running it, so would love to hear how ye got on.
Alan AylingDec 27 2023, 11:46pmNice one Andy, the organisation today was every bit as slick as the trails.

Though if you really want to drown people at an IMRA race you'll have to try a bit harder than that river crossing. Try getting some advice from the lads who've come closest - Mick (the notorious swimming pools in the early events at Annagh Hill and Annacurra) & Andreas (hillrunning in the Irish Sea).

Also wish to point out that I too had a disappointing end to the IMRA season... with yet another desultory performance in the raffle. Watching that Dutch Gold get claimed brought a tear to the eye...
Eoin PhelanJan 1 2024, 8:56pmHi,
will the results be recorded for this race?

thanks,
Eoin
Andrew HanneyJan 1 2024, 9:18pmHey Eoin, the results will be up in the next few days.
Eoin PhelanJan 1 2024, 10:08pmcool. theres no rush i just wasnt sure as the timing chips were not used. thanks
david obrienJan 2 2024, 11:29pmSorry for the text, but my 16 year old daughter, Aoibheann OBrien is down as a competitor in the short course, but she ran the long course with her time. Which would’ve had her finishing third female. Just wondering if this can be rectified as she is part of the IMRA development juniors and is hoping to accumulate good results. She did inform before the race to be included into the long course. Thanks
Andrew HanneyJan 4 2024, 9:55amThanks for the message David, as the results were done manually it was more difficult to spot the issues. i've been in touch with the results secretary and an update will be made to reflect Aoibheann's excellent run.
Just going forward, the best way to query results is directly to the results secretary as they will mostly likely not be reviewing all of the race forums for queries. The contact being results at imra dot ie.

All the best, Andy.
david obrienJan 5 2024, 12:18amCheers Andy,
Jeff SwordsJan 5 2024, 4:47pmHi David, Aoibheann's result (and a couple of others) have now been updated.
Elvin LaugierJan 9 2024, 8:28pmHello,
I participated in the race on December 27 but the volunteers who took care of registrations told me that I had registered for the race but for the 2024 edition. I discovered that the race is not part of the calendar 2024 and finally I am not ranked even though I finished 3rd. What race was I registered for if it wasn't the one on December 27 ?
Brendan LawlorJan 9 2024, 8:39pmHi Elvin

I think it was me you spoke to

From memory you had registered for 2024 membership, ( and possibly 2023 membership ) but had not registered for the actual race on Dec 27th. I suggested you could participate in the run but not be part of the actual results . Hope this clarifies.

Hopefully we will see you at more races in 2024
Stuart ScottJan 10 2024, 4:22pmHi Elvin. Could you send me an email on treasurer A-T imra DO-T ie...you may have unwittingly found a bug in the payment system...Thanks!
Elvin LaugierJan 11 2024, 11:57amIn fact I took everything at once: the 2023 membership, the 2024 membership and registration for the race. That's why I don't understand why I didn't appear in the registrations. It's not too serious for this race but for 2024 I plan to participate in the challenge. Stuart, I didn't understand the email address of the treasurer that you tried to give me.
Stuart ScottJan 11 2024, 12:11pmHi Elvin. Sorry I was just trying to fool the spam robots! Just replace the AT with @ and the DOT with . and you'll get me.