Irish Mountain
Running Association

Solstice Run 2023

AuthorDateMessage
Brendan LawlorNov 2 2023, 8:45amHi

Every few years the earth, moon and stars combine to mess up our Solstice Run (normally Dec 21st at 7pm).. this is one such year and my almanac tells me that this years Winter solstice is on Friday Dec 22nd... so heres the thing..

Do we defy the Heavens and hold the Solstice Run as usual on Dec 21st (a Thursday), or go with Friday 22nd Dec instead ? Or go out on both nights and have even more Splitters ? I'm asking for a friend, but will be guided by your replies.

And finally as you all know this Non -event is a strictly non-IMRA affair. As the unofficial non organiser of this non event I am looking for a deputy non organiser as I can't make either date this year unfortunately. Contact blawlor7 at gmail dot com if you can help out on whatever night we decide to hold the non event.. clear as a foggy night for you all I hope !
Brendan LawlorNov 2 2023, 8:49amAnd remember, if you have to ask a lot of questions, this probably isn't for you !
Kevin O'RiordanNov 2 2023, 8:53amYou could argue that 7pm Thursday is closer to 3:20am Friday than 7pm Friday is :)

Thursday would probably be better for those of us travelling home for Christmas.
Warren SwordsNov 2 2023, 10:50amAs a splitter I've a question that always puzzled me.

Why do the Solstice run at night time rather than sunrise or sunset?

Never made any sense to me to start a solstice run 3 hours after the sun has set.

(Not that I'm advocating for change, I'll be welcoming the sunrise as usual.)
Stuart ScottNov 2 2023, 11:17amWarren isn't it obvious? If you ran in daylight then you wouldn't get the gale force wind, lashings of rain and abject misery that we've come to know and love with the Solstice Run!

And if one was being really pedantic, surely the run should be at 3.20am?!
Alan KennedyNov 2 2023, 11:27amAgree with Warren. And having done the Darkness in Light walk/run the last few years to start in dark and then get the Sunrise is brilliant. Sure we may as well head up to Newgrange and just do laps of the tomb ;-)
Kevin O'RiordanNov 2 2023, 11:33amThere's a splitters group that aims to be at the summit for sunrise. I think the main answer though is that 7pm is a time that works best for most working people and also allows people to convene in the pub for delicious mince pies after the run without needing to worry about rushing into the city for work. From what I can tell, there's generally upwards of a dozen people on the morning splitters run while the post-work run with mince pies and pints back in the coach house attracts the sort of numbers you'd normally see at a Leinster league race.
Brendan LawlorNov 2 2023, 11:47amThere are many and varied reasons why the official unofficial not IMRA Solstice run is held at 7pm including
- to facilitate people coming from work
- to allow a visit to the Pub afterwards
-to allow Tommy wear his amazing seen for miles around luminous jacket
-because thats just how it is

I'm sure Warren 'Splitter-Lets ban Howth' Swords has his own personal vendetta against us and is now attempting to drag this thread into the same controversial territory as he did earlier this year with his much discredited 'Lets ban Howth' campaign . I'm also sure Peter 'Splitter' O Farrell will be on here soon enough with his own tuppence worth about the one true Solstice Run they organise in the mornings , yada yada, started long before ours, yada yada, proper Solstice run yada yada, been going since hill running was invented yada yada.. heard it all before every single year.

But haters gonna hate and splitters gonna split.. lets try stay on topic...

So 21st or 22nd ?
Anyone available to help ?
Peter O'FarrellNov 2 2023, 1:01pmEither way it'll still be dark for ye :)
Brian KitsonNov 2 2023, 1:22pmGood people of IMRA, both sides have much to learn from the other. Hold the Solstice run at sunrise and go post-haste to the nearest early house.
Good day.
Andrew HanneyNov 2 2023, 2:20pmVery entrenched views on both sides here so am staying out of that....

Although a new idea could be born.... The great solstice race..... starts at sunrise and the winner is the person who gets the furthest by sunset. That person would be celebrated by both sides of the debate here :)
Mikey FryNov 2 2023, 5:06pmJakers I just feel asleep there who said there’s going to be French fancies at djouce summit:))
Alan AylingNov 3 2023, 1:23pm22nd would suit me better...

And seeing as Howth is out of bounds for this conversation, an alternative suggestion - move the solstice run to Ardgillan, quick lap of the park (none of the howling wind on top of Djouce nonsense); negotiating the tide and pools would be epic craic in the dark; back to the best post IMRA race pub of all for de mince pies?
Brendan LawlorNov 3 2023, 1:55pmThanks Alan and Kevin

One vote each for both the 21st and 22nd..

Two or possibly three votes for merging with the morning Splitters (radical idea)

Two fence sitters

Lets see what next week brings.. have a nice weekend all
Brendan LawlorNov 3 2023, 1:56pmSorry, to clarify

One vote for the 21st
One vote for the 22nd
Val JonesNov 3 2023, 2:19pmActually a winter solstice run on howth has its attractions, no problem crossing the golf course.
Andrew HanneyNov 3 2023, 2:53pmI'd stick with the 21st one minor detail, for the Djouce group,
Would you consider going from the Djouce lakes car park as running on the boardwalk in the night isn't a whole lot of fun.
Stuart ScottNov 3 2023, 2:59pmThe Ayling Abyss could be interesting...!
Mikey FryNov 3 2023, 3:55pmI’ll go for the 20th please:)
Mikey FryNov 3 2023, 3:56pmAnd the abyss route please great suggestion Stu:))
Kevin O'RiordanNov 15 2023, 12:02pmSo after discussing with Brendan, I have decided in a non-organisational capacity that I will be going for a run to the summit of Djouce mountain starting at Ballinastoe MTB car park at 7pm on Thurs 21st of December where I may or may not bump into other IMRA runners who also happen to be at the same time and same place for a self-organised training run who are welcome to join me on my own self-organised training run if they so choose.

Such runners who happen by coincidence to meet that evening may or may not choose to retire to the same nearby establishment after their individual training runs for pints and mince pies. More details to follow. Unfortunately the Coach House in Roundwood is out of action this year, but I'm sure we can find another pub to accommodate us.
Peter O'FarrellNov 15 2023, 12:20pmGreat non work there Kevin (and Brendan)

With even less organising - as the usual day is the Thursday but the actual day this year is the Friday we'll make a call on which* day closer to the event with the aid of Met Eireann.

*feel free to run up both mornings in between the evening run!
Stuart ScottNov 15 2023, 12:23pmWhen do the non-entries open Kevin?
Brendan LawlorNov 15 2023, 12:31pmThank you Kevin.. the evening Solstice Run is saved !

Pub notification to follow...
Alan AylingNov 15 2023, 2:31pmIs anyone thinking of not running at Ballinastoe on the evening of the 22nd, the Friday?
I don't have a mountain biking event on the Thursday, which may or may not clash with non-running.
Somewhat confusingly, the mountain biking event, which I won't be attending, is on in the same forest as the non-run. But not on the same day.
If you follow?
Likely you do not.
Ah well...
Andrew HanneyNov 15 2023, 3:51pmThat’s pretty clear Alan thanks.
Kevin O'RiordanDec 13 2023, 9:49pmHi all,

A reminder as I've had a few people ask, the "traditional" Solstice run on the Ballinastoe MTB car park to top of Djouce and back route will be Thursday 21st at 7pm. We will retire to Kavanagh's in Roundwood for pints this year. Unfortunately it's "bring your own mince pies" this year.

I'm sure there'll be splitters runs going on for people who can't make the official unofficial date and time, I'll let them announce their own arrangements.
Mark McInerneyDec 18 2023, 1:31pmTempted to head up for sunrise. Would I be right in thinking that you'd want to be up the top by 8am to not miss the magic.
Richard NunanDec 18 2023, 9:07pmNormally between 8:20 and 8:32am
Alan KennedyDec 19 2023, 4:00pm@Warren - Unofficially of course, if I happen to be Ballinastoe car park on Friday morning, what sort of time might I accidentally bump into some fellow splitters?
Brendan LawlorDec 19 2023, 4:13pmThe Splitters have their own mountain I believe..
Peter O'FarrellDec 19 2023, 5:27pmSome people will be on Fairy Castle on Friday morning for 08.38am.
Mikey FryDec 19 2023, 7:37pmI just want to know who’s bringing warm mince pies is there any point of there no pies:)))))))))))))))))))
Warren SwordsDec 19 2023, 8:22pmSome ppl will be leaving Djouce Lake car park around 7.50am on Friday to be on top of Djouce for around 8.30am. If Djouce is covered in cloud by time we get to ww stile, they usually head to Maulin.
Brendan LawlorDec 20 2023, 8:51amA split amongst the Splitters.. how very Irish !

Best of luck and a happy Solstice to you all where ever you do your run. Joe is expecting the one true evening Solsticers after the run in Kavanaghs Pub.. I'll be leaving a mince pie behind the bar for my very old (he's well over 50!) pal Mikey...I'm sure Joe will microwave it for you if you ask nicely
Mikey FryDec 20 2023, 12:10pmThanks Brendan don’t forget the ice cream please:))))))
Alan KennedyDec 20 2023, 12:42pmCan't wait to see what treats Warren has for us at Fairy Castle??
Miriam MaherDec 20 2023, 9:01pmIt just so happens that a few of us are making a plan to take a non official early start at 6 pm for the non official gathering of similarly minded Solstice souls. After all, and as we know, cos Alan Ayling assured us so, early starters are real people too.

So if anyone else feels like being real…in this non official early start at 6pm - see you there with bells or at least head torches on…
Mikey FryDec 20 2023, 9:11pmSo you will have mince pies then???????
Stuart ScottDec 20 2023, 9:13pmI'd recommend more than just bells considering the Force 9/10 that's forecast. Maybe Mandatory Ballast for the boardwalk... thankfully I've been working on mine all year.
Miriam MaherDec 20 2023, 9:20pmMikey, the likelihood of mince pies is up there with the French fancies. Stuart, I have been doing my own training in that regard too so I’d say I’ll be grand ;-).
Mikey FryDec 20 2023, 9:25pmWell it’s worth a shot:))))
Kevin O'RiordanDec 20 2023, 9:30pmYes, bear in mind there is a weather warning in place for tomorrow evening. I'll be still be there but I have no idea how bad the conditions will be on Djouce so please apply judgement and do turn around if it seems too risky. All jokes about non organisation aside, this and the various splitter runs are not IMRA endorsed runs, just a bunch of people meeting up for informal social runs to celebrate the Solstice completely at their own risk.
Alice ClancyDec 21 2023, 10:13amYou make it sound so inviting Kevin!!! If we use the mince pies as ballast, it’ll be grand ;-)
Stuart ScottDec 21 2023, 11:18amFor those wanting to avoid the Flight of the French Fancies, could I suggest an alternative route from Ballinastoe? Follow the fireroad north, through the gate, along the forest and then turn west up the Glasnamullan river. It's pretty much the same distance and avoids the boardwalk and most of the (westerly) wind. Though the forecast has abated significantly...
Rachel HarneyDec 21 2023, 11:35amThat sounds better :-D
Brendan LawlorDec 21 2023, 12:30pm‘ There’s no cars big as bars
There’s no rivers of gold
But the wind blows right through you
It’s no place for the old
When you first took my hand
On that cold Solstice Eve
You promised the summit
Was waiting for me’

RIP Shane MacGowan and enjoy a windy and epic Solstice adventure everyone . Stay safe and get back down !
David RouseDec 21 2023, 1:32pmCar pool option: dep Ashtown / Navan Road at 18:00.
Via Castleknock.
Kevin O'RiordanDec 21 2023, 2:23pmI will be departing from close to Central park Luas around 6pm. 3 seats available.
Rory O'TooleDec 21 2023, 3:46pmThanks for the suggestion, Stuart. I'm only familiar with the Maurice Mullins HM section towards Djouce. I don't know if you can access this link to Komoot (https://www.komoot.com/tour/1396288310?ref=wtd&share_token=a3JH4qq58EDjAK2npLjS8UCKBDA8FmnHsyIVq1eXSz8oxHvhHl), but I'm wondering if this is the route you suggest.
Graham K. BusheDec 21 2023, 4:38pmHi Rory, that looks good.
I reckon that turning right when you reach the Wicklow Way and climbing Djouce summit from the East might be more sheltered.
Rory O'TooleDec 21 2023, 4:56pmThanks, Graham.
Alice ClancyDec 21 2023, 4:56pmEarly starters are sticking with the original plan and original route! Hopefully see ye on the mountain and if not in the pub!
Alan KennedyDec 22 2023, 2:01pmWhat a pleasant surprise to bump in so many fellow runners up at Fairy Castle at 0838 this morning, who'd have thought it?? And we even got a tiny bit of sun for our efforts.