Irish Mountain
Running Association

carauntoohill classic

AuthorDateMessage
Louise JonesJun 28 2023, 4:54pmHi ,

Looking some advice for the Carauntoohill classic on 16th July . Due to distance I cant recce the route unfortunately. I'm just wondering the best shoe type to wear.. I am thinking trail runners as opposed to mud claws as from what I have read it is a mixture if slippery stone, stony hilly trial and grass , I don't think mudclaws are great on stone. Any advice would be much appreciated.. Also wondering do people use hiking poles for this one? I never have for a race but it was recently suggested to me? thanks
Warren SwordsJun 28 2023, 5:55pmI've done the race in various shoes. From trail shoes to x-talons to road shoes.

The first four km is very stoney. The zig zags are mix of trail and stone. At the top of the zig zags is grass before the stoney climb to the top and bottom.

Last year I ran it in road shoes as weather and conditions were very dry. Worked out pretty well given there's about 8km of undulating stoney trail out and back. But if it was wet, I would've worn trail shoes.

Trail shoes probably best option
Conor MurphyJun 28 2023, 10:51pmHiking poles on Carrauntoohil?

I have never seen anyone use poles in any IMRA race on Carrauntoohil, the IC, the Skyline or the Classic. Racing down Carrauntoohil can be very fast, and sections like Cnoc na Toinne and the Zig Zags may possibly not even have enough width for poles.
Mícheál O'MullainJun 28 2023, 11:15pmI think the word “hiking” doesn’t relate to “race”. If you need poles this is the wrong event for you
Nora LalorJun 28 2023, 11:27pmIs this event sold out..
Patrick KissaneJun 29 2023, 12:17amI've used hoka speedgoat 3, hoka evo and the hoka mafate for the races I've done. Good grip, enough cushion and toe protection from the rocks. And I've seen poles used but I wouldn't recommend them. Conor is usually front of pack so doesn't see the slower people using poles!
Lianne van DijkJun 29 2023, 10:26amHi Louise, I'd say trail runners are your best option. You won't need deep lugs but like Patrick said, it's good to have some protection from the rocks.

People definitely use poles for races like this, but they could be more of a hindrance for Carrauntoohil (especially if you haven't used them before). You'll be fine without them!

Finally, there is a lot of hiking in races. If that wasn't the case, I might as well retire now. ;) I think it would get very quiet at most of the mountain races also, which would be a shame. I hope you'll have a great time!
Barry WalshJun 29 2023, 10:26amHave seen poles in the Skyline alright, not huge numbers but if someone wants to use poles Id say they can use poles - I dont think they will be much use. As Conor says, the zig zags and Cnoc are really single track and poles probably more hassle than use.

I haven't worn mud-claws up there as even on the worst days its primarily stoney/rocky path and some cushioning needed IMO. I don't think I could do road shoes even if super dry as I would say toe protection is a must for the descents off Carrountoohil and the zig zags. a decent, light but grippy trail shoe should suffice.

..I'd add the race is for you if you want to do it - its a classic!
Aoife FitzgeraldJun 30 2023, 10:16pmHi Louise, it will be my first time doing this race also, I have done the Cronins Yard one twice and will be going with my Hierros.
As I've never run with my poles I think that race day is not the best day to try them out!
And as for hiking...we all hike the bits we cannot run.
Don't ever let anyone say what race/event is or isn't for you.
The elitist bs being spouted here does not make for an inclusive environment. Trail running is for all levels and abilities.
See you in Kerry!
Maire O'SullivanJul 1 2023, 7:12pmHi Louise, I did it last year for the first time and I'm entered again this year. I did an early start last year and it was great because there were loads doing the early start, about 12 or 15 of us I think. Lots of the other runners came out to cheer us off so there was a great buzz, and nobody was anything except delighted for us that we were giving it a go. I hope you've entered, it'll be brilliant - tough obviously but SUCH a sense of achievement when you finish, no matter how long it takes.
Warren SwordsJul 1 2023, 7:34pmEveryone hikes in this race. It's a proper hands and knees affair in places.

The only place where hiking is banned is when you see a photographer. Unwritten rules state you must break into a shuffle until you're out of shot.
Conor MurphyJul 1 2023, 9:02pmOn poles, it's not about elitism, it's about traditions, and dangers. UK Athletics and the Scottish Hill Runners specifically ban them, the latter citing insurance reasons. The Fell Runners Association rules bracket them with headphones as equipment that Race Directors are entitled to ban.

Of course none of that binds IMRA and if the Committee here has considered the risks and the insurers accept them, then using them is no problem. They still wouldn't be my choice on a fast mountain race like Carrauntoohil.
Paul SmythJul 2 2023, 11:23pmHaving come close to being tripped up by someone using these in a race, I favour a ban on their use, with the possible exception of ultras.

I'm not an ultra runner myself but my understanding is that even in those races there are limitations on where they can be used.
Phil behanJul 3 2023, 12:09amWould hate to see poles being removed from Ultras. I have a condition in my second toe and need poles in order not to aggravate it on much longer runs. Understand completely on the short races as the speeds they are run at poles could well be dangerous. Would be interested to see the rationale for banning them on longer races ? Considering a huge number of hikers use them. Is it insurance or some kind of advantage they might give ?