Irish Mountain
Running Association

Inclusive, Accessible Challenge Event Wednesday

AuthorDateMessage
Niamh O'CeallaighJun 25 2023, 12:41pmAt the Rathdrum, Wobbly Bridge race, there will be a kids challenge event. This is an INCLUSIVE event and suitable for young people of all abilities. It is wheelchair accessible and on firm flat compacted gravel.

This "choose your challenge" event gives kids the chance to decide if they would like to complete a 200m, 300m or 400m distance.
Participants can choose to collect a flag from one of the three turnaround points before returning to the start. Everyone who has collected a flag will win a lovely prize.

This event will take place from the bridge itself. Participants and their accompanying adult should assemble at Splash Valley car park at no later than 6:30. There will be a check in beside the adults registration desk.
At 6:40 sharp, we will head for the start. Those who require accessible access to the start will drive in convoy to the start location.
All others will walk together across a boardwalk, up some steps and over uneven ground to the race start.

The challenge will start at 7pm

We would encourage ALL adults taking part in the main race to come support our young people. There will be ample time to get back up to the main race start.

After the kids have received their prize, they can watch the adult race zoom past, before either walking or driving back to Splash Valley.

Non IMRA notice:
Anybody who is bringing kids is welcome to ask me (in a non IMRA capacity) to watch their kids for the duration of the adults race. I'll walk them back towards Splash Valley and we will play on the grass. Text me on 085 one 445 two 09 to let me know in advance.
susan dixonJun 25 2023, 2:07pmAbsolutely fantastic!!! Niamh thank you so much
for adding an accessible event. Leo is so excited.
Great to see events like this from IMRA, making
trails events suitable for all. Well done!
Derek HayJun 25 2023, 6:04pmHi Niamh, do the kids in the challenge event need an IMRA membership to participate?
Niamh O'CeallaighJun 25 2023, 8:42pmNo membership needed Derek.
Niamh O'CeallaighJun 28 2023, 2:55pmThe kids event tonight is not a formal IMRA race. As such participants take part at their own risk and should be accompanied and supervised by a parent. Thanks.
Look forward to seeing everyone tonight.