Irish Mountain
Running Association

Claire Walsh RIP

AuthorDateMessage
Ger PowerJun 23 2023, 11:18pmSadly Claire Walsh passed away to day after a long illness. Clare an Olympic runner ran with IMRA for a number of years.
Brendan LawlorJun 25 2023, 9:06amThank you Ger.
Claire was the sister of Jean O’Neill, who many of you will know. Condolences to Jean, Deirdre and the rest of Claire’s family and friends. May she rest in peace.
John MolloyJun 25 2023, 11:45pmI wish to offer condolences to the family
John MolloyJun 26 2023, 1:02amI wish to offer condolences to the family and friends of Claire Walsh nee Dowling at this time following her recent death.
For the benefit of some of the younger members of IMRA who might not know of Claire's place in Irish athletics, I thought it might be appropriate to share a few bits and pieces, partly from my own memories and some shared by the late Noel Henry, who described Claire as one of the legendary pioneers in Irish ladies athletics.
Ladies competed in Irish athletics throughout the 20th century, but very much without support from sporting bodies, and with condemnation from the Catholic Church. While the 1930's was singled out as a notable glorious period, the lack of international competition meant that ladies athletics was not progressing at anything like its male counterpart. In 1963 a number of ladies competed in a noted international meeting with GB ( I think). This team included such great names as Mary Peters, Maeve Kyle, Anne Hogan and of course, Claire Dowling later to become Claire Walsh. Two years later, in 1965, the NACAI, Ireland's most significant athletics body gave the green light for ladies athletics clubs to be recognised. While this allowed for women to take part in international competition, it did little or nothing to support these early pioneers to get to these competitions. Holding down full time jobs they had to make great sacrifices to find competition. In the late sixties Claire won National Titles in the 100m and 200m. The following year she won the 100m, 200m, and 400m, a unique triple. This success continued through the following years. She then went on to compete in AAA Chamionships, win a bronze medal in the 800m 1971 European Championships, and compete in the 1972 Munich Olympics.
During my time in secondary school I had a great interest in athletics, keeping newspaper cuttings of all the great achievements of that time. I have since lost them all but I have a clear recollection of the regularity of stories of Claire's successes. She inspired many to take up sprinting and later middle distance. She was a role model, and inspirational legend who succeeded against the odds and oppositional forces of the time.
I was not a member of IMRA when she ran the mountains. I know nothing about that time. I know that at this very sad time for her family and friends that they can rest assured that Claire will be remembered not just for Munich or her numerous national titles from 100 to 800 metres, but more importantly for her positive impact on ladies athletics as a role model, an inspirational pioneer and a real legend.
God rest her soul.
John Molloy
Laura FlynnJun 26 2023, 8:37amThanks John for sharing that piece of Irish athletic’s history. My condolences to Jean, Deirdre and Claire’s extended family at this sad time.
Andrew CoghlanJun 26 2023, 9:01pmThank you John for this synopsys. I didn't know about Clare or any of her achievements. But your words convey her importance in Irish athletics.