Irish Mountain
Running Association

Disappointed - not allowed to race

AuthorDateMessage
Dillon RyanMay 10 2023, 10:14pmAfter travelling over an hour to the race, paying 7 euro each for myself and my wife ( my second and her first ever race) and paying 80 euro for a babysitter, travelling 50km! we were stuck for 8 minutes crawling in traffic, arrived 6 minutes late to the race (which by the way has no sign post in the cooley farm we had to knock on the house to ask where the race was (10 minutes circulating the premises) only to be told sorry, the runners had just gone. We could of gone off with the youth group who were at the start line.

Very dissappointed, hopefully the right thing is done and we are refunded.

Dillon and joan
Angus TynerMay 10 2023, 11:03pmCertainly disappointing to miss out.

I was part of the registration team this evening. Registration usually closes at 7.15pm,(for 7.30 start) to allow equipment etc be set up for the start.
This evening, it was 7.22pm when the laptop left registration. As a result the race started late at 7.36pm. The short course start which is what you made it in time for started about 5 minutes later.

It is not an option to sign in for the race and register your timing tag once registration is closed.
Laura FlynnMay 11 2023, 9:35amIt seems from reading your post Dillon, that you allowed yourself leeway of around 10mins to reach the race venue, register, warm up etc
IMRA races are usually in out-of- the-way places and at least a half-hours drive from Dublin. Just like a trip to the airport, you need to give yourself at least an extra half hour to allow for things like traffic, queues, getting lost…
As far as I can see, IMRA still operates a no-refunds policy. In any event, I cannot see how the organisers should be responsible in any way for you and your wife missing the race.
Eamonn HodgeMay 11 2023, 10:20amI've missed a couple of races due to not getting out of the office on time or getting stuck in traffic. I now try to get to the race by 6:30 if possible just so that I'm not rushed, can get registered and a warm up and a bit of a chat. Can be hard with work and young families etc.

I see that you finished 1 second ahead of me at Prince William's seat so I'm looking forward to a rematch!
Brendan LawlorMay 11 2023, 10:49amHi Dillon and Joan

I feel your pain and understand your disappointment. However as Laura and Eamonn have correctly pointed out you do need to allow some extra time to get to the various races and its always better to be 15 minutes early than 15 minutes late.

However I have some good news for you. I am the Race Director next week at Scarr and if you both decide to come along again I can almost guarantee you will win a spot prize in my raffle at the pub. (If I guarantee it I'll be accused of jigging the draw which has happened me before to my great embarrassment and outrage )

Just make yourself known to me at race registration.

Hopefully we will see you both along again soon !
Dillon RyanMay 11 2023, 12:14pmThanks guys! Really appreciate the feedback. I suppose the traffic on irish motor ways at all hours has people losing patience lol. No problem and yes we shoulr be there for scarr and hopefully on time! Ah yes a rematch indeed :) Thanks again :).
Richard FoxMay 11 2023, 12:36pmThat’s great news Dillon - good on ya. Can I just suggest something though please - make sure you hold that Brendan Lawlor fella to his word and get a decent spot prize. I mean I dressed up in a pink tu tu and matching flaming flowing red hair and didn’t even get a bag of crisps. Really hope ye enjoy Scarr
Cheers
foxy