Irish Mountain
Running Association

Volunteering

AuthorDateMessage
Brendan LawlorApr 19 2023, 10:40amIt looks like Vivian will set a new World Record for volunteers at the Scalp race this evening. While this is great news ( and well done to everyone who has signed up) and Vivian is a lovely man to work with and for, please spare a thought for Race Directors on the very many races in the coming weeks.

Members should volunteer at least once for each ten races they run and IMRA will be introducing changes to the website to highlight individual members volunteering records better ( as agreed at the last AGM)

So please have a look at the upcoming races and stick your name down for a race or two. If you fancy taking on the slightly more onerous job of race marker, laptop operator or race director, why not sign up as a deputy and shadow someone to learn the ropes.

And while I’m on I need a laptop operator and first aider for Scarr in a few weeks amongst other things. Cheeky plug over.

Have fun at Scalp and watch out for the marshals.. there will be oodles of them at every corner and bend !
Sean ForsythJun 8 2023, 9:50amHi Folks

Shameless bump for volunteers for forthcoming races...especially Trooperstown (I have none at present) the last race of the Leinster League.

Looking at what's coming up, more volunteers are needed for loads of races all over the country in all leagues and championships, remember with out your help these races can't go on.

With the Leinster League at it's halfway point and only one trail league race left, it's getting exciting to see who will be finishing in what positions but as above, these races below need help.

Djouce
Crone Caper
Wobbly Bridge
Ballinastoe
Ticknock
Brockagh
Trooperstown

C'mon you Volunteer shy Wednesday nighters, you know you want to get that end of year prize, all that's needed is 10 calendar races and 2 non running volunteer roles. For people who run up and down mountains, that should be an easy ask.

Also it is a fantastic way to get to know more of the great people in the organisation, those like minded souls who also thought mountain running was a great idea at some point in time.

Have a great day......and remember Trooperstown needs you

Sean
Dave DochertyJan 25 2024, 7:56pmFolks, just reviving this thread from last year. The next few races all struggling for volunteers. And Forth Mountain has none. Very hard to put these races together without the adequate number volunteers. Please have a look and do your bit. Thanks. Rant over.
Andrew HanneyJan 25 2024, 9:15pmThere is a bunch of people, I'm not even going to call them IMRA members, as the IMRA spirit is missing, some in particular very good at winning racing but doing absolutely no volunteering. They expect the rest of us to put on races for them.
If you don't understand why you should help at IMRA events, plenty of other race organisers although you will be paying 5 times more.
Brian KitsonJan 25 2024, 11:46pmJust a little perspective here, in the mermber’s survey taken during the last quarter of 2023, 74% of respondents stated that they volunteered at least once in 2023. I appreciate that respondents to the survey are likely to be more engaged members and therefore more likely to volunteer but even so, this is indicates a wide active participation.

There will always be a percentage of members who are either new or lapsing from a membership base for whom volunteering is not currently a priority. There will also be others who for whatever reason cannot volunteer or simply do not want to volunteer. That’s life.

I appreciate that we have come close to cancelling races because of a lack of volunteers, especially in key roles like first aide and laptop, but I’m not aware of it actually happening. People step up.

it is very important that volunteering remains voluntary. I would hate to think that someone would avoid becoming a member or entering a race because they didn’t think they volunteered enough.

In the survey, one of the things most members noted that they appreciate about IMRA over the years is the friendly and positive culture (on the whole). Im sure its a reason why our membership has grown. Let’s continue to encourage volunteer participation through praise, rewards and properly acknowledgement of peoples’ efforts and good things will happen.