Irish Mountain
Running Association

Wicklow Round

AuthorDateMessage
Alan ElwoodApr 13 2023, 2:46pmHi everyone. I hope you’re all well and enjoyed Easter. I’m hoping to have a go at the Wicklow Round this weekend. The wet weather that had been set for Sat afternoon and evening seems to have moved to later that night and into Sunday morning (at least on a few of the forecasts). So it looks like starting Friday (14 Apr) at midnight and running through Saturday may be an option. It's all very changeable so I'll know for sure when I check the weather closer in. Stephen Bickerstaff and Billy Reed will hopefully help out as road party but if anyone is free to help it would be great.
Graham K. BusheApr 13 2023, 3:01pmBest of luck Alan. I hope all goes to plan, and the weather Gods are kind.
Avril ChallonerApr 13 2023, 3:46pmBest of luck! Hope the weather is good to you and so are your legs!
Niall GibneyApr 13 2023, 4:48pmGood luck Alan !
Alan ElwoodApr 14 2023, 10:01amWell things have changed. After some sage advice from the scene this morning it seems the ground conditions are so poor that although the weather is grand the bog would likely add hours to my time (which I don't have ) so we have decided to delay. Next chances for me are over the weekends of the 29 /30 Apr (if I am not in GB the day before), 06/07 (clash with British Champs Orienteering run by NIOA), 12/14 (likely best option), 20/21, 27/28 May or 3/4 Jun. So plenty to choose from. I'll keep you all posted.
Peter O'FarrellApr 14 2023, 1:03pmGood Call Alan, best of luck with your bew date.

As a complete desktop wicklow rounder here are my unsolicited Ideal Wicklow Round conditions:

Date : A Friday night in end May or early June closest to a full moon (2am Saturday 3nd June 2023)

High overcast full cloud during the day, clear no mist skies in the dark

4 weeks of recent drought conditions

Legs like spring steel, lungs like hot air balloons, a stomach of hardiness and a clear mind full of the exact route to follow.

Recent recces of the tricky sections.

Support crew of previous wicklow rounders

So yes, I will probably not be doing the Wicklow Round any year!
Avril ChallonerApr 14 2023, 1:34pmPeter - i'd happily pay some good money to be able to order such conditions, crew and body.

Alan - from being on the route in the last few weeks your advice is right, its pretty wet and slow going. Lets hope for a dry month so they improve for yourself and the other lads giving it a lash!
Karina JoninaApr 21 2023, 9:27amBest of luck!! :) Hope you have clear skies and hard bouncy ground
Alan ElwoodMay 26 2023, 8:23amOkay folks. The weather is looking good and I've a support team so I'm going for the attempt today starting at midnight tonight.
Niall GibneyMay 26 2023, 8:54amGood luck Alan , enjoy !
Richard NunanMay 26 2023, 10:07amAwesome. best of luck Alan !

https://live.primaltracking.com/wicklowround23/?b=6
Paul MahonMay 28 2023, 1:15amWell done Alan :-)
Jim WalshMay 28 2023, 5:34amGreat stuff Alan. You flew the last couple of check points!
Graham K. BusheMay 28 2023, 5:59amWell done Alan
Andy KeelingMay 28 2023, 6:58amWell Done!
Alan ElwoodMay 28 2023, 2:58pmThanks everyone. The sun came out with a vengeance from Scarr, and the clouds vanished and the wind dropped so I suffered in the heat of the heather beds (mlild heat stroke I think). By the time I topped Djouce the cloud had returned, the wind picked up a bit and the sun was that bit lower. So I had to drop a gear or two. That was a memorable run in!
John MurrayMay 31 2023, 1:58pmCongrats Alan on your Round completion. Strong finish for sure to get in under the 24hr mark. Tried to catch you at Tonelagee but we just missed you.