Irish Mountain
Running Association

World Masters (Maderia 2023)

AuthorDateMessage
Tom BlackburnApr 12 2023, 1:06pmThe World masters 2023 in Maderia is now open for entry.
Edel HennessyApr 12 2023, 4:23pmHi Tom, that's great to hear. Where did you see the details? I found this on the WMRA website )https://wmra.ch/news/latest-news-from-the-wmra/1079-world-masters-mountain-running-championships-2023-madeira-2) but can't seem to find anything else! I'm thinking about the 32km race and will be in the 40-44 category for anyone who might be thinking of making up a team ...
Edel
Mark AlexanderApr 13 2023, 10:44amyes, also finding it difficult to find information including race entry page / website etc.
Conor NolanApr 13 2023, 10:23pmFinally found these links. Event site is not quite ready for release yet.

https://www.wmmrc-madeira2023.com/en

Another few days to wait for reg it seems.

https://lap2go.com/pt/event/world-masters-mountain-running-championships-2023
Seán ManningApr 25 2023, 1:58pmRegistration working ok now.
Turlough ConwayApr 27 2023, 3:04pmHi all

Have been liaising with Tom on this. Was in Madiera for Masters marathon in January. Researched a bit with Mountain masters in mind. Google Doc with info at this link which I'll update but guts of it below:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ul-2SFxtRgnlALO5hGHPgAeR_5Ogd1NxOxsbpyoA8qs/edit?usp=sharing

Lets keep the momentum going from last year!!!!
(Contact: turloughconway@gmail.com)

About the races:

Event Website
https://www.wmmrc-madeira2023.com/en
https://lap2go.com/pt/event/world-masters-mountain-running-championships-2023

More:
https://www.wmra.info/news/latest-news-from-the-wmra/1012-world-masters-mountain-running-championships-2023-madeira

"On the uphill race the athletes will be challenged over a 9.25k and 800m+ course that starts in Ponta do Pargo, the most rural area of the municipality of Calheta, and comprises many types of paths, going from dirt roads, to single tracks along the forest (that provide shade for the athletes), with short passes by meadows, and even a pass by one of the world famous madeiran levadas (small water channels, famous for its hikes), and will finish in the scenic location of Fonte do Bispo, with its picturesque altitude forest and quietness.
"And in the long distance race, athletes will run through the locations of Ponta do Pargo and Fajã da Ovelha, on a 32.4k course with a uphill gain of 1160m+, having changing views at each corner, and also different types of terrain all along the course, with it’s also different levels of technicity.”

Accommodation:

Capital Funchal is listed as an hour’s drive from race start at Ponta do Pargo on Western tip of Island. This is ambitious and driving on Island is challenging. More comfort in any of the towns along the coast East of Ponta do Pargo. Ponta do Pargo itself is small and rural and has few accommodation options.

Faja da Ovelha in particular is very close and is on 32k route.

Also see, Raposeira Do Logarinho, Prazeres, Estreito da Calheta (biggest town in area) and Arco da Calheta.
Plenty of self catering options available.

Flights:
Plenty of flight options with changes but Ryanair is only direct: out on Wednesday return on Monday, which could suit Saturday runners. To/From Madeira (Ronaldo) airpost. (Flight time 3.5 hrs)

Car Hire:

Car is necessary. Book before travel (on airline of accommodation site) Book to collect car at Madeira airport.. Booking person will need circa €1000 in the main drivers bank debit/credit account.
You will get key to car in carpark beside airport. They will give you a card to get out of carpark which you must keep or be charged. Make sure car full of petrol on return.
USE GOOGLE MAPS FOR DIRECTIONS AS DRIVING VERY CHALLENGING.
Can’t drive or find directions by instinct. Apart from that, all grand.
Michael McSweeneyApr 27 2023, 7:17pmThanks for the info Turlough.
Edward O connorJun 5 2023, 3:43pmLads iv got me flights and accommodation booked for this event. I just need to register for the 32km race. Will I go as an individual or team member. Thanks eddie
Imogen McGuinnessJun 7 2023, 9:46amHi there. I am very interested in doing the 32k race. Is there a group going that I could join in with to share accommodation and driving?
Thanks Imogen
Turlough ConwayJun 7 2023, 8:54pmHi all

I mentioned to Tom that we might have a Zoom chat to see who is going nationally and coordinate share info.
I have a group from the World Masters last yesr but send a mail to turloughconway at gmail and ill include. Date/Time to be decided.
Seán ManningJun 14 2023, 2:36pmHello. I have receved an email to includec the membership number of your country's federation . Can soneone let me know what that is. Thanks
Rene BorgJun 14 2023, 3:03pmSean, they are normally looking for your Athletics Ireland life registration number for that.
Turlough ConwayJun 14 2023, 5:36pmSean. This one too

https://www.irishmasterathletics.com/copy-of-membership

They asked me for this when I went there for World Masters Marathon Champs in January

You may need this one and the one Rene mentioned.

I am organizing a zoom meeting for Monday @ 8pm.
This is to swap information and to put people going in touch with eachother to coordinate etc.

You'll get a definitive answer there although Tom might be along before.
Seán ManningJun 14 2023, 6:24pmThanks Guys. Zoom call will be very worthwhile. Chat then
Tom BlackburnJun 14 2023, 7:58pmI will get sacked I told the Lads the zoom was tonight, anyway no bother we will chat on Monday night.
The number they were looking for was AAI membership or Masters association it was confusing I think they settled on AAI number.
Robert MalseedJun 19 2023, 12:34pmThere doesn't seem to be many entered for the M50 uphill at the moment, plus great opportunity for a team prize in that category. Anyway looking forward to a wonderful weekend and celebrating my 22nd + interest birthday
Turlough ConwayJun 19 2023, 12:37pm<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<body>

<p>Hi All

Zoom link for tonights meeting @ 8pm below for Madeira Masters to swap info etc.

</p>
<b><a href="https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83714718984?pwd=dmZUcklmeUhiTUpFYUVEUVhGTnQ5QT09">ZOOM LINK</a></b>

</body>
</html>
Turlough ConwayJun 19 2023, 12:39pmOk, that didnt work!

Zoom link for tonights meeting @ 8pm below if interested

Turlough

Join Zoom Meeting (copy and paste the link below this into browser)

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83714718984?pwd=dmZUcklmeUhiTUpFYUVEUVhGTnQ5QT09

email turloughconway at gmail if any difficulties or for the link in clickable format.
Seán ManningJun 20 2023, 7:02amGreat meeting last night. Turloughs first hand knowledge of the island snd what to expect was very helpful. Thanks All. Feeling motivated now to step up the training.
Martin McDonaldJun 22 2023, 11:34pmHello Lads & Ladies, only getting on here now sorry I missed meeting, it would be handier if anyone that is running wrote in here with their name and age category so that people could form teams with athletes in their own age group like last years graph, if memory serves me correctly I think Trish/Tom Blackburn created it. I could probably do it if no one else is interested in creating it.
Martin McDonaldJul 9 2023, 6:54pmBelow is a list of names registered on the site (hopefully I haven't missed anyone). If anyone else who intends to compete can let us know here or register soon we can try to make up teams. It might encourage others in respective age groups to enter.

F40 Carmel Fitzgibbon, Edel Hennessy, Sarah Whelan
F45 Sharon Woods
F50 Sareen Walsh

M45 Damian McDonald
M50 Sean Manning, Robert Malseed
M55 Tom Blackburn
M60 Conor Nolan
M65 Martin McDonald
M70 Matt Alexander
Edel HennessyJul 9 2023, 8:48pmGreat to see the names being added.
Although it looks like we have a F40 team, I am aiming for the 32km race. Looks like Carmel and Sarah are doing the uphill. Plenty of time for people to add their names!
Im flying Thursday to Tuesday Cork-- Stansted- Madeira.
Martin McDonaldJul 10 2023, 11:12amAnother name to add to the list

F55 Shileen O'Kane
Turlough ConwayJul 11 2023, 2:35pmM60 Sean Foley
Conor NolanJul 11 2023, 5:52pmAlso Ben Mooney, M60, short course (and two other M60s likely)
Martin McDonaldJul 17 2023, 10:27pmUpdated list of REGISTERED athletes from what I can see on the entry list

Ladies Uphill Course:
F35 Marina Quinlan
F40 Carmel Fitzgibbon, Sarah Whelan
F50 Sareen Walsh
F55 Shileen O'Kane

Ladies Long Course:
F40 Edel Hennessy
F45 Sharon Woods

Men Uphill Course:
M45 Damian McDonald
M50 Sean Manning, Robert Malseed
M55 Tom Blackburn
M60 Conor Nolan
M65 Martin McDonald
M70 Matt Alexander, Sean O'Neill
Martin McDonaldJul 17 2023, 10:43pmList of athletes PENDING REGISTRATION

M60 Sean Foley, Ben Mooney, Ger Maloney
Tom BlackburnJul 18 2023, 9:30amHi Lads, there was a small issue with reg for a few runners as you are asked for details of reg to your national association. The national association in Ireland is AAI. But you may get away with putting in your imra number.
The reason affiliation to the national body is so important is you have to be a member of your national body in order for the world's association to ban you if you are caught cheating. Ie taking banned substances.
They can ban someone who is not part of the association !
Philip GossJul 18 2023, 7:40pmHi Guys sorry I'm so late to the party on this and in particular that I missed the Zoom call in June, I would be very keen to run the uphill M35 race, especially if there were others interested in order to make a team (particularly after Gold last year in Clonmel!)
Currently researching flight options and accommodation (thinking direct from Dublin on the Wednesday).

Are there any other M35s interested to make a team?

Thanks
Philip GossJul 18 2023, 7:45pmP.s. I'm based in the North and relatively new to the mountains so if anyone knew of other M35 runners in your own clubs maybe you could mention the notion of forming a team for this year?
Turlough ConwayJul 18 2023, 8:43pmHi Philip

We'll run another Zoom call.
If we spend this week with a big recruitment push in all categories and we can see where we are at a Zoom call next week?
(I have a post below April 27th with some details links, but you may already have).

All the best
Martin McDonaldJul 19 2023, 9:31amHi Philip
Entries are very slow & that is the usual for this event, 15 - 8 is the closing date so I would expect a good few entries by that day. I'm hearing of several people pending just haven't got around to it yet.
The Wednesday flight seems most popular being a direct flight. Accommodation seems fairly plentiful at the minute also from what I can see.
Kieran Lynch73Jul 19 2023, 5:33pmHi folks, I've entered both races M50. Funnily enough a week in Madeira wasn't a hard sell to my wife!
Ian ConroyJul 20 2023, 12:19amI'll be entering the uphill only in M40 category and my brother Paddy also in M35. We'll likely go Wednesday.
Martin McDonaldJul 20 2023, 7:40amGood man Ian that's looking better, now for everyone intending to compete get in there and do the buisness so we can get the ball rolling.
Martin McDonaldJul 21 2023, 10:48pmUpdated list of REGISTERED athletes from what I can see on the entry list

Ladies Uphill Course:
F35 Marina Quinlan
F50 Sareen Walsh
F55 Shileen O'Kane
F60 Esme Alexander

Ladies Long Course:
F40 Edel Hennessy
F45 Sharon Woods

Men Uphill Course:
M40 Brian Furey (Long course also)
M45 Damian McDonald
M50 Sean Manning, Robert Malseed, Kieran Lynch (Long course also)
M55 Tom Blackburn
M60 Conor Nolan, Donal O'Kane, Sean Foley (Long course also)
M65 Martin McDonald
Martin McDonaldJul 21 2023, 10:53pmList of athletes PENDING REGISTRATION

M35 Philip Goss, Paddy Conroy
M40 Ian Conroy
M60 Ben Mooney, Ger Maloney
Seán ManningJul 25 2023, 8:25amHi Folks. Just looking for any suggestions for a 600 mtr + plus uphill course in Limerick / surrounding area. Im finding some descent elevation close to home in Ballyhouras but looking for a course thst has good continual uphill similar to the Madeira course. Thanks. Sean
Adrian HennessyJul 25 2023, 12:03pmSean, you could try the Cush, Galtymore loop from the Lisvernane side. Over 1000m of elevation in 13km. But technically that's Tipp.

Temple Hill from Anglesborough - about 700m in a similar distance. Out and back.

Park in Combaun Woods and you'll have a gradual fireroad climb for about 4.5km before you hit the steep climb up Temple hill for another km. That's about 500m in 5.5km. Keep going to Lyracappul for another 200m of elevation. Come back the same way.

You don't even have to leave Limerick!
Seán ManningJul 25 2023, 12:56pmPerfect Adrian. Thanks for these. Anywhere within an hours drive suits grand so i'll give both a go over next few weeks. I have good memories of temple hill from years ago. My number is 086-6001430 if anyone would like to join me on a Saturday or Sunday.
Martin McDonaldJul 25 2023, 11:16pmPutting out a call for people to get registered. There is a few noticeable world champions from last year in Clonmel and a few top 10 finishers who havent signed up yet. It is in the best of interest of registered athletes to get in contact with these athletes, a little encouragement can go a long way in a push to get teams filled up. As Kieran Lynch said, Madeira isnt a hard sell, a beautiful country by all accounts. The M60 is the only complete team so far and M70 are looking good from what im hearing. There is only a few athletes needed to complete some more teams.
Seán ManningJul 27 2023, 4:00pmThe 050 and 060 male teams for the uphill course now have a team with the addition of James Burke bringing the 050 team up to 4 members. Recent registrations include Aine Fleming for the F45 uphill category. From what i can tell Teams with 2 registered so far are F40 uphill and M70 uphill.
Sarah WhelanJul 27 2023, 9:28pmHi, we have Keeley Tideswell pending registration for female over 40. Carmel Fitzgibbon is injured and unlikely to be racing. Is there any over 40 ladies out there that would make a team for us? 9k up hill. Thanks.
Karen CreanJul 28 2023, 9:29amHi all..
My name is Karen crean.
I ran some IMRA races this past few months after a few years running track.
I am not very experienced mountain runner .I have good fitness level but not sure if I should wait and get a another year or two under my belt , racing in the mountains before dipping my toes into races like Maderia ect..
Any advice would be appreciated.
I am 48yrs old/ 49 in September.
Willing to travel to make a team in either distance if needed .
Thank you .
Karen crean
Seán ManningJul 28 2023, 11:24amHey Karen. I think based on your previous races you are definetly well placed to take part. I had similar questions on whether i should take part or not as i've been well off the pace in IMRA races this year. But sur nothing ventured nothing gained and i think this will be a great experience.
Paula Donnellan WalshJul 28 2023, 11:42amHi I am a female over 40 road runner & compete in all competitions. I run a mountain at home but have never competed in an imra mountain run. I hope to start but it's hard to fit everything into the racing calendar. Im currently training for half/s and full marathon. Compete at national level. Wish I had trained for this. Im in over 40 category if I was any help but if not no ptob at all. Wishing you all the best of luck
Robert MalseedJul 28 2023, 12:08pmHi Karen,
Just do it, as such opportunities are rare enough and you should take the opportunity because if you don’t you will regret not going. Plus, it be a well earned holiday
Karen CreanJul 28 2023, 4:41pmThank you for getting back to me..cheers currently looking at flights ect.
Appreciate the feed back..k
Robert MalseedJul 28 2023, 5:15pmI don't think that there are any direct flights, as we got indirect flight from Shannon to Stansted to Porto to Funchal. However, its not the journey but the destination we are looking forward to. Madeira looks like a wonderful location, as well as the challenging terrain. The weather hopefully will be nice as well considering what wonderful a summer we are having at the moment. It will be great to have you join us Karen, and looking forward to a fantastic time
Seán ManningJul 28 2023, 5:27pmGreat news Karen. Ryanair have a direct flight from Dublin on 13th, returning 17th.

Paula. That sounds like you have a great base done and the uphill course wont be overly technical from what im reading if your concerned with experience. I think you'd be a grest addition to a team.
Karen CreanJul 28 2023, 7:34pmThank you all..I have registered for 32k & uphill race..
I have booked accommodation in Calheta and flights.
I see there will be transport to & from race area from Calheta.
Looking forward to few weeks hard training now and meeting you all .
Paula if you feel it's on your radar than just give it a whirl..
Karen.
Edward O connorJul 29 2023, 9:00pmHi gang. I'm registered for the M35 category in the short and long race. If needed for the team category I'm willing to participate. Just let me know
Martin McDonaldJul 29 2023, 9:46pmUpdated list of REGISTERED athletes from what I can see on the entry list as on this evening.

Ladies Uphill Course:
F35 Marina Quinlan
F45 Aine Fleming
F50 Sareen Walsh
F55 Shileen O'Kane
F60 Esme Alexander

Ladies Long Course:
F40 Edel Hennessy
F45 Sharon Woods

Men Uphill Course:
M45 Damian McDonald
M50 Sean Manning, Robert Malseed, Kieran Lynch (Long course also), Jamie Burke
M55 Tom Blackburn
M65 Martin McDonald

PENDING REGISTRATION

M35 Philip Goss, Paddy Conroy, Edward O'Connor
M40 Ian Conroy
M70 Willie John Brown
F40 Keeley Tideswell
F40 Paula Donnellan Walsh
Karen CreanJul 29 2023, 11:08pmHi .i registered for both uphill ,& 32km races..I probably entered on the individual link ..as wasn't registering a full team ..maybe this is an issue ,?
I emailed them ...money for registration left my account.
Hopefully my name will appear on list and part of team Ireland.
Karen
Sarah WhelanJul 30 2023, 8:19amBrilliant, well done Karen.
Paula, sign up! It’s a great opportunity, don’t miss it.

Every Thursday night a group go on the Masters Route and other routes around Carey’s woods in Clonmel at 6.30pm from Gashouse Bridge Carpark/Old Waterford Road Carpark. All welcome.
Sarah WhelanJul 30 2023, 4:15pmJim Halley, Dundrum AC, over 55 pending registration. Flights, accommodation booked.
Sarah WhelanAug 1 2023, 9:34amJim St. John, Clonmel, over 65 pending reg.
Paula Donnellan WalshAug 1 2023, 4:42pmHi Sarah and everyone for your encouragement. I did a 6 k trail run in Lanzarote at weekend, absolutely loved it and made the podium/ was extreme heat but I really don't feel I have the training done for an 9km all uphill mountain race & definitely do not want to let a team down. Have the female over 40 a team?

Thanks Paula
Edel HennessyAug 1 2023, 9:37pmWell done on the run in Lanzarote!
To give you an idea on times I have attached last year's results on the F40 category. https://www.sportsplits.com/races/21st-world-master-mountain-running-champs-2022/events/1/category/Female/12
Obviously, it's a different course, terrain, etc but it will give you an idea.
I'm not sure if there is quite the full F40 team yet, ie 3 confirmed F40 entrants from Ireland.

There is no "team" entry. Everyone enters the race as an individual. If a category has 3 members from a country, their combined result will give a team score. If it happens that there are more than 3 from a country in the category, the top 3 times count. Obviously, if there are 6 entered in a category there is the potential for 2 teams and increases the odds of success!
Sarah WhelanAug 3 2023, 3:18pmHi Paula, well done on your win in Lanzorate. I don't think we have a full team yet so get yourself entered!! We need you!
Philip GossAug 3 2023, 8:56pmHi Edward, that's great you have registered. assuming Paddy and I do too that will give us the minimum number of 3 so would definitely be worth making travel plans. I hope to arrange travel and hotels shortly
Paula Donnellan WalshAug 3 2023, 9:35pmHi Edel

Thanks so much for all the information, that explains alot and last year's results are great to see. I really would like to have some training done and so am going to leave it for this year. I have huge work and family commitments but never use that as an excuse. if I am going abroad I/d like to have trained and be at my best.

Here's to back mountain training
Thanks again Paula
Sarah WhelanAug 4 2023, 10:08amTrail run Sunday morning. Slievenamon. Around 90/100 mins. Meet Kilcash castle/graveyard 8am or Kilcash school 8.10am. Over 600m of climbing. All welcome.
Martin McDonaldAug 5 2023, 10:26pmONE WEEK to go before registeration closes.

Updated list of REGISTERED athletes from what I can see on the entry list as of this evening.

Ladies Uphill Course:
F35 Marina Quinlan
F45 Aine Fleming
F50 Sareen Walsh
F55 Shileen O'Kane
F60 Esme Alexander

Ladies Long Course:
F40 Edel Hennessy
F45 Sharon Woods, Karen Crean

Men Uphill Course:
M35 Edward O'Connor
M45 Damian McDonald
M55 Tom Blackburn
M65 Martin McDonald
M70 Matt Alexander, Sean O'Neill, Willie John Brown

PENDING REGISTRATION

M40 Ian Conroy
M55 Jim Halley (uphill)
M65 Jim St. John

F40 Keeley Tideswell
Edward O connorAug 5 2023, 10:34pmHi Martin. I'm doing the long course and not the uphill. Cheers
Martin McDonaldAug 6 2023, 8:13amI have that updated now Edward.

ONE WEEK to go before registeration closes.

Updated list of REGISTERED athletes from what I can see on the entry list as of this evening.

Ladies Uphill Course:
F35 Marina Quinlan
F45 Aine Fleming
F50 Sareen Walsh
F55 Shileen O'Kane
F60 Esme Alexander

Ladies Long Course:
F40 Edel Hennessy

Men Uphill Course:
M35 Edward O'Connor (long course only)
M45 Damian McDonald
M55 Tom Blackburn
M65 Martin McDonald

PENDING REGISTRATION

M40 Ian Conroy
M55 Jim Halley (uphill)
M65 Jim St. John

F40 Keeley Tideswell
Karen CreanAug 6 2023, 12:43pmHi Martin.
I am also entered for the uphill course and the long course ..
Thank you .
Karen
Martin McDonaldAug 6 2023, 10:02pmSorry about that karen, I'll be up updating again in a few daydays & get that sorted.
Paula Donnellan WalshAug 7 2023, 8:05pmHi Sarah

I only saw your message after I had posted mine!
So just to confirm, from looking at the entries ye now have a female over 40 team for the worlds masters uphill course? Which is brill.

Thanks Paula
Sarah WhelanAug 7 2023, 9:05pmHi Paula, no team yet. Just me and Keeley. Carmel is injured and won’t be going. We’d love to have a team if you are still thinking about it. Go for it!!
Sarah WhelanAug 7 2023, 9:07pmKeeley Tideswell, Jim Halley, Jim St. John should be registered now.
Philip GossAug 8 2023, 9:19amFolks, I'm about to register for the m35 category, should we do this under the "individual" or "club/team" options? Assuming it will be the latter as we'll have the intention of entering a team?
Conor NolanAug 8 2023, 11:29amIndividual, I think the other is for group registrations, etc.
Note also that the teams are taken from first three finishers in any age cat, on the day, not selected in advance.
Paula Donnellan WalshAug 8 2023, 12:33pmHi Sarah

Thanks for your reply. I'd love to help if I can, suppose I'm just mad haven't more mountain prep done, suppose there/s few weeks left. Have you an email- I might ask few q/s about accommodation/rules/route etc if you don't mind

Thanks Paula
Turlough ConwayAug 8 2023, 2:53pmHi Folks

Second Zoom call for this Thursday 7:30 pm if that suits folks?
We can swap info etc. and see how we are fixed for teams.

Let me know

Turlough
Ian ConroyAug 8 2023, 7:04pmI'm entered now as well. I have to admit, that individual Vs team also had me thinking. Went for the individual as Conor suggested. Now just Jane to book flights and accommodation!
Ian ConroyAug 8 2023, 7:05pm*have, not Jane!
Paula Donnellan WalshAug 8 2023, 8:51pmHi Turlough
Yes if you can include me for the zoom meeting this Thursday and I might learn bit.

Thanks Mill
Paula
Karen CreanAug 8 2023, 8:59pmHi Paula...I booked a 2 bedroom house in Calheta .I have a room spare at the moment as I don't think my husband will travel.
I booked flights out ON the 13th and back on 20th from Dublin.
Think a zoom call would be super...few questions with regards to running gear needed..any specific requirements.
Karen
Paula Donnellan WalshAug 8 2023, 9:48pmHi Karen

Brilliant, I have nothing done yet. But that room would be Brill and aswell to have someone to get there with etc. This is defo tempting now. I would have to fly wed or Thurs-and home sat. Have to sort work aswell.

Thanks so much- massive help
Paula
Sarah WhelanAug 8 2023, 10:06pmHi Paula,
It would be brilliant to have a team, I’d love you to sign up. No regrets!! My number is 0864053520. Send me a text. Not sure where you are in the country but more than welcome to join us any Thursday night in Clonmel for a trail run. You’d get to met me and Keeley then and others going to Madeira.
Martin McDonaldAug 9 2023, 8:45amUpdated list of REGISTERED athletes from the entry list as of this morning 9th of August. As you can see there are a good few teams that have not yet been filled, hopefully a few more will register soon. As far as I am aware there is an option of dropping down age categories to fill teams.

Ladies Uphill Course:
F35 Marina Quinlan
F40 Carmel Fitzgibbon, Sarah Whelan, Keeley Tideswell
F45 Aine Fleming, Karen Crean
F50 Sareen Walsh
F55 Shileen O'Kane
F60 Esme Alexander

Ladies Long Course:
F40 Edel Hennessy

Men Uphill Course:
M40 Brian Furey, Ian Conroy
M45 Damian McDonald
M50 Sean Manning, Robert Malseed, Kieran Lynch, Jamie Burke
M55 Tom Blackburn, Jim Halley
M60 Conor Nolan, Donal O'Kane, Sean Foley
M65 Martin McDonald

Men Long Course
M35 Edward O'Connor
M40 Brian Furey
M50 Kieran Lynch
M60 Sean Foley

PENDING REGISTRATION
M40 Paula Donnellan
M60 Ben Mooney, Ger Maloney (currently injured)
M65 Jim St. John
Turlough ConwayAug 9 2023, 5:16pmTomorrow's (Thursday's) 7:30 Zoom Meeting on all things Madeira Masters:

Topic: Masters Madeira
Time: Aug 10, 2023 07:30 PM London

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83025418847?pwd=OUUvM21wTW1hRk9Lb08wMkJVS0FRdz09

Meeting ID: 830 2541 8847
Passcode: 599798
Sarah WhelanAug 9 2023, 9:48pmHi, is there any other over 50’s female willing to go to Maderia?? We have Sareen. I have another runner who would go if there is a team. Thanks!!
Dave RyanAug 9 2023, 11:34pmIf there's a spot available for the over 60 team, I could be available.
In training at the moment for a 46km Ultra on Sept 30th, so should be ok for the 30km long course,
Martin McDonaldAug 10 2023, 10:06amDave Ryan get in there the more the better, anyone can drop out before the race with one problem or another.
Philip GossAug 10 2023, 11:14amThat's me registered in the m35 category for uphill race :) fingers crossed for a few more to ensure we have a team
Paula Donnellan WalshAug 10 2023, 11:43amHi everyone
Just wondering does anyone here train on a mountain (that would help for this event) in Galway/Mayo? I think the uphill is 800m elevation over 9km- any suggestions??

Karen if you can put my name on that room you have; and if you want to send me your email or contact and I can sort you out?

Thanks
Paula
Edward O connorAug 10 2023, 11:50amTurlough I wont make the zoom meeting later but if you could bring up a few points I'd like to know regarding accreditation for anyone looking to volunteer/will there be any support at the 19km checkpoint for the long course . Attire for the parade and hopefully medal ceremony for team . Race vests ,do we just wear old ones and buy new gear etc. Thanks
Karen CreanAug 10 2023, 2:49pmApologies I am working till 8.30 tonight so will miss the zoom
meeting x
Paula that's super..086 8366994 ..is my phone number.
Karen
Philip GossAug 10 2023, 8:37pmGuys/Ed, here is the link to the site for getting Irish team kit. Last year most people wore the green vest and green shorts. Will need to check rules on kit but if nothing else other than for consistency it would be good if we could all wear the same.
https://www.jfsports.ie/product-category/club-shop/irish-masters-athletics-association/
I would recommend ordering what you need ASAP as delivery lead times can be quite long unfortunately.
I have the quarter zip long sleeve top and a few tshirts
Turlough ConwayAug 10 2023, 8:55pmHi Folks.

Had the zoom meeting. MASSIVE push the fill teams.
Full teams will win medals in almost ALL categories as it stands.

Even if you're not involved can you please ask your local club/group contact if they could ask amongst their runners. Closing date is August 15th Midnight.

We have a collective handle on the logistical details etc., all they have to do is decide to go and enter before Tuesday for a World Championship medal possibility (and treat themselves to a Madeira holiday).

Also, Masters Watsapp group set up (text 353eightnine6061371 to join)

Ed, looking into your query. Also Ed, no full teams from any nation in M35 uphill...would you consider it as a primer for the Sunday race? Top runner in Philip Goss needs a couple of Team mates.
Turlough ConwayAug 10 2023, 9:38pmGroup Link: https://chat.whatsapp.com/JC50y2j79hDB9Gp9ds6wMp
Sarah WhelanAug 11 2023, 9:54amHi Martin, many thanks for updating the list of runners. Jim St. John and Paula Donnellan Walsh should be entered now.
Martin McDonaldAug 12 2023, 10:33pmYes thanks Sarah they are in.
Martin McDonaldAug 13 2023, 9:00amUpdated list of REGISTERED athletes from the entry list as of this morning 13th of August.

Ladies Uphill Course:
F35 Marina Quinlan
F40 Carmel Fitzgibbon, Sarah Whelan, Keeley Tideswell, Paula Donnellan Walsh
F45 Aine Fleming, Karen Crean
F50 Sareen Walsh
F55 Shileen O'Kane
F60 Esme Alexander

Ladies Long Course:
F40 Edel Hennessy

Men Uphill Course:
M35 Philip Goss
M45 Damian McDonald
M50 Sean Manning, Robert Malseed, Kieran Lynch, Jamie Burke
M55 Tom Blackburn, Jim Halley, Ronan King
M60 Conor Nolan, Donal O'Kane, Sean Foley, Ben Mooney
M65 Martin McDonald

Men Long Course
M35 Edward O'Connor
M40 Brian Furey
M45 Peter Keane
M50 Kieran Lynch
M60 Sean Foley

PENDING REGISTRATION
M35 Paddy Conroy
M60 Ger Maloney (currently injured)
Martin McDonaldAug 13 2023, 12:03pmMissing from previous post Jim st John m65 up hill.
Richard KieranAug 13 2023, 11:06pmI have just registered for the short course, M55
Martin McDonaldAug 15 2023, 12:09amUpdated list of REGISTERED athletes from the entry list as of this morning 14th of August.

Ladies Uphill Course:
F35 Marina Quinlan, Dee Collins
F45 Aine Fleming, Karen Crean, Pauline Madden, AnnMarie Kenny
F50 Sareen Walsh
F55 Shileen O'Kane
F60 Esme Alexander

Ladies Long Course:
F35 Dee Collins
F40 Edel Hennessy, Lisa Byrne
F45 Sharon Woods, Karen Crean, Pauline Madden

Men Uphill Course:
M35 Philip Goss
M45 Damian McDonald
M50 Sean Manning, Robert Malseed, Kieran Lynch, Jamie Burke, Turlough Conway
M55 Tom Blackburn, Jim Halley, Ronan King, Richard Kieran
M65 Martin McDonald, James St John

Men Long Course
M35 Edward O'Connor
M40 Brian Furey
M45 Peter Keane
M50 Kieran Lynch, Alan O’Connor, Turlough Conway
M55 Peter Keane
M60 Sean Foley

PENDING REGISTRATION
M35 Paddy Conroy
Martin McDonaldAug 15 2023, 12:15amWe appear to have full teams in F40, F45, M50, M55, M60, M70 all for the short course as of today with one day left to register
Turlough ConwayAug 15 2023, 10:56amA could few changes this morning so I've quicly added to Martins list below:

Ladies Uphill Course:
F35 Marina Quinlan, Dee Collins
F45 Aine Fleming, Karen Crean, Ann Marie Kenny
F50 Sareen Walsh
F55 Shileen O'Kane
F60 Esme Alexander

Ladies Long Course:
F40 Edel Hennessy, Lisa Byrne
F45 Sharon Woods, Karen Crean, Paline Madden

Men Uphill Course:
M35 Philip Goss, Simon Nolan
M40 Brian Furey, Ian Conroy, Kevin Looby
M45 Damian McDonald
M50 Sean Manning, Robert Malseed, Kieran Lynch, Jamie Burke, Turlough Conway
M55 Tom Blackburn, Jim Halley, Ronan King, Richard Kiernan
M65 Martin McDonald, James St John, Gerard Down

Men Long Course
M35 Edward O'Connor
M40 Brian Furey
M45 Peter Keane
M50 Kieran Lynch, Alan O’Connor, Turlough Conway
M55 Brian Hurchinson, Michael Kelly
M60 Sean Foley

PENDING REGISTRATION
M35 Paddy Conroy

We appear to have full teams in F40, M40, M50, M55, M60, M65, M70 all for the short course and F45, M50 for the long course as of today with one day left to register
M40, M65, F45 long M50 long

We have potential entries for almost all other categories.
If we got one more M35 uphill that is a GOLD medal in that category. Ed O’connor would you consider it if logistics allow? You could run steady and see most of the climb for the long course?
Also
F35 in same boat, GOLD medal if we get one more entrant and a medal for one more M55 long entrant. Think Tom Blackburn is considering here.
So big shout out for M35 or F35 here. Go for it!!!
Sarah WhelanAug 15 2023, 11:21amJohn Corry has registered there male 65.
Brian hutchinsonAug 15 2023, 11:31amWe have 2/3 of a team for the m55 long course in myself and Michael J Kelly - so far only Portugal fielding a full team in that category.
Brian hutchinsonAug 15 2023, 11:57amCorrection - only Portugal and Romania
Edward O connorAug 15 2023, 3:34pmIv just completed registration for the uphill. M35 now have a full team
Turlough ConwayAug 15 2023, 5:17pmWell done Ed!!! Great Team work. You have actually a very strong team there. Nice one!!!!

We need one F35 to make probably a GOLD medal team.
Folks, can you ask any runner you think might be interested 35-39 y/oon the day?
Brendan LawlorAug 16 2023, 12:18pmBig kudos to Turlough Conway, Martin McDonald, Tom Blackburn and others for the great organizational and cajoling work undertaken to get so many of our Masters athletes registered for next months World Masters .

Looking forward to following the progress from the various races and hopefully another good medal haul for Team Ireland -good luck to you all in your training and preparation!
Martin McDonaldAug 19 2023, 10:34pmThese are the soldiers going into battle in Madeira:

F35:
Dee Collins (up & L)
Elaine Langley (up)
Marina Quinlan (up)

F40:
Carmel Fitzgibbons (up)
Keely Tideswell (up)
Paula Donnellon Walsh (up)
Sara Whelan (up)

F45:
Karen Creen (up & L)
Leesa Byrne (L)
Pauleen Madden (up & L)
Sharen Woods (L)
Aine Fleming (up)
AnneMarie Kenny (up)

F50:
Aishling Coppinger (up & L)
Diane Behan (up)
Maeve Hegarty (up)
Sareen Walsh (up)
Siobhan Foley (up)

F55:
Shileen O’Kane (up)

F60:
Esme Alexander (up)

M35:
Philip Goss (up)
James Trainor (up)
Edward O’Connor (up)
Simon Nolan (up)

M40:
Brian Furey (up & L)
Ian Conroy (up)
Kevin Loobey (up)

M45:
Damien McDonnell (up)
Peter Keane (L)

M50:
Des Kennedy (up)
Alan O’Connor (L)
John Rogers (up & L)
Kieran Lynch (up & L)
Robert Cummings (up & L)
Turlock Conway (up & L)
James Burke (up)
Sean Manning (up)
Robert Malseed (up)

M55:
Tomas Blackburn (up & L)
Brian Hutchinson (L)
Micheal J Kelly (L)
Richard Kieran (L)
Jim Halley (up)
Ronan King (up)

M60:
Sean Foley (up & L)
Donal O’Kane (up)
Conor Nolan (up)
Ben Mooney (up)

M65:
Martin McDonald (up)
James St.John (up)
Ger Down (up & L)
John Correy (up)

M70:
Matt Alexander (up)
Willy John Brown (up)
Sean O’Neill (up)

Best of luck to everyone & do the green singlet proud.
Pól Ó MurchúAug 20 2023, 9:26amReally great numbers there. Well done to Turlough and co for all the promoting and planning for this event. Great representation for the green singlet! Best of luck all and enjoy!
Turlough ConwayAug 21 2023, 11:00amHi all.

There has been some great cooperation between folks in the Watsapp group (many recent recruits that answered the call to make up teams).
Much cooperation around sharing economies of scale in accommodation, transfers from airport and sharing information. We still have a few working on accommodation and if You have a room going in a place you have booked could you consider offering a teammate a place (and saving a few quid)?
Anyway reply here or join the group:
https://chat.whatsapp.com/JC50y2j79hDB9Gp9ds6wMp or txt 0eight96061three71
Good for folk to join anyway for info sharing/team building and banter purposes prior to the Madeira invasion.
Tom BlackburnAug 29 2023, 6:26pmHi All , we have gotten an email from the world's committee, it appears that some of you have not put your AAI registration number in as your federation. For us to get everyone validated to run we need this number. Can you please send this to me on tomblackburn1@gmail.com if you don't have a valid AAI number it only costs about 10 euro to become a member.
If you see this message please let others know as all of this will need to be done very quickly.
Thank you.
Leo MahonAug 29 2023, 7:12pmTo get an AI number 6 digit
You must register with your local AI club
There are about 20 entries that currently do not have that number
your entries have been accepted but when you go to registration you may have a problem getting your number to run
Leo MahonSep 4 2023, 6:11pmUnfortunately it’s very difficult to get Irish gear now
I was in a better position a couple of years ago when Athletics Ireland were changing sponsorships
If anyone wants to buy Irish gear for this years masters.if you log on to
irishmasterathletics.com
Click shop
where you can buy Irish singlets and shorts
From JF Sports for €22 and €23 they are in Tullow Carlow
I think it’s too late to buy in bulk so I’d advise contact them yourself
Tom BlackburnSep 6 2023, 10:28pmI have been on to AAI and all those registered with AAI are sorted. Those who are registered with ANI have also been sorted. ANI have cleared all those on the list. I have informed the guys in Maderia that all are sorted. If you encounter any problems we have email to clarify that we are all verified.
Paul MahonSep 15 2023, 1:55pmCongrats to our Individual and Team winners in today's uphill race in Madeira
Best of luck for those also doing the long distance race on Sunday morning -

Results at this link:- https://www.wmmrc-madeira2023.com/resultados
Andrew HanneySep 15 2023, 8:09pmIt has to be said there are lots of fantastic team and individual results there. Well done to you all and good luck to those on the long course.
Edel HennessySep 15 2023, 9:33pmA great haul of medals. Well done to all.

Individual
Gold
W35 Dee Collins
M65 Martin McDonald

Silver
W40 Keeley Tidswell
M35 Philip Goss
M40 Ian Conroy

Team
Gold
W35 Dee Collins, Elaine Langley, Marina Quinlan
W40 Keeley Tidswell, Sarah Whelan, Paula Walsh
W45 Sharon Woods, Karen Crean, Anne Marie Kenny
M35 Philip Goss, Simon Nolan, Edward Connor
M40 Ian Conry, Brian Furey, Kevin Looby

Silver
W50 Aisling Coppinger, Sareen Walsh, Siobhán Foley
M50 Des Kennedy, Turlough Conway, Graham Bushe

Bronze
M65 Martin McDonald, Gerard Down, James John
M70 Matt Alexander, Sean O Neill, Willy Brown
Turlough ConwaySep 19 2023, 3:17pmSundays catch of Masters medals, (thanks to Edel Hennessy for compiling). That seems to be a medal haul of 41 medals over the weekend. Super performances from all and scrutiny of some fo the times show some individuals emerging and with potential of emerging as senior squad potentials too. A few race reports will follow too but let's build on this to make next year's event in Canfranc in the Spanish Pyrenees the first year with Irish teams in all categories!

LONG DISTANCE:

Individual Gold-

W35 Dee Collins
M35 Ed Connor

Bronze
W45 Sharon Woods

Team Silver:
W45 Sharon Woods, Lisa Byrne, Karen Crean

Bronze:
M55 Tom Blackburn, Brian Hutchinson, Michael Kelly
Malachy DoyleSep 28 2023, 8:44pmBrilliant running everyone. I completed the Seven Sisters Skyline 55k race up here in Donegal last Saturday, and would love to run in Confranc next year, when I'll be 70. Might that be possible?