Irish Mountain
Running Association

Sliabh Daean

AuthorDateMessage
Mike JordanJul 4 2022, 10:50amHi all,

Just giving advance notice that there is an IMRA race planned in Sligo in 3 weeks time on Saturday 23 July. Online entry opens on 17 July.

The course will be a mix of fire-road, single-track trails, and a short open mountain section from the Sligo Way track up to the trig pillar on Slieve Daeane. Please see map in Route Description section of race page.
Parking at the Union Wood carpark north of Ballygawley Lough which is easily accessible from the Sligo/Dublin road and with a short walk to the start across the road: https://goo.gl/maps/Naid1dL6KYvoxnAy9

It would be great if anyone who knows anyone interested in mountain running in Connacht could get the word out about this event! If you know someone over west who would be interested in taking part please share the race info with them: https://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/2251

Thanks to Turlough for organising!
Shane O'ReillyJul 4 2022, 1:30pmHi Mike,
Great to hear this. I placed a post in the private "Trail Runners Sligo" Facebook group (400+) members so hopefully that helps build interest. I will be there running and volunteering too all going well.
Anne-Marie FlahertyJul 5 2022, 10:52amLooking forward to this one, Mike and Turlough have a great route planned.
Anne-Marie FlahertyJul 18 2022, 9:41amHi folks!

This race is taking place this coming Saturday, it would be great to get as many people as possible down to take part!

The start/finish is very close to the N4 for anyone considering travelling to it.

Turlough could probably do with one, or two more non-running volunteers if anyone is available.
Turlough ConwayJul 18 2022, 10:19amThanks Anne-Marie. Yes, one or two more non-running volunteers would be great. It's a nice route with a good mixture of scenic trail and some open mountain goodness for the summit push. First ever IMRA race in Co. Sligo so please give it a go it you are considering running. Nicely positioned a month before Warriors run also.
John ShielsJul 18 2022, 2:44pmSigned up. Really looking forward to it.
adrian powellJul 20 2022, 1:14amI can volunteer as a helper at this event.
My phone no: 0874185267
Dean NooneyJul 20 2022, 6:49amHi ,this will be my first imra race ,just checking to see do I collect my race number on the morning of the run ,kind regards dean
Mikey FryJul 20 2022, 9:05amYes dean you’ll pick it up at reg at start of race:)have fun
Turlough ConwayJul 20 2022, 4:46pmHi Adrian. Thanks s million for volunteering. Were gathering at 9:30am in Union Wood morning if race. I'll be in touch
Katie McGettrickJul 21 2022, 8:31amHi, this is also my first imra run. I saw that it said no GPS and I’m hoping I don’t get lost. Is the route well marked? I have no sense of direction and I’m running on own
Anne-Marie FlahertyJul 21 2022, 9:20amHi Katie,

You will be absolutely fine, there will be enough marking that you will be able to stay on the route easily.

There's usually a marshal or two on the course too, to make sure people can't go wrong.
Turlough ConwayJul 21 2022, 11:07amHi all,

Will update Race details in next few hours. Primary Parking will be at Union Wood carpark.
https://goo.gl/maps/dXg4xAWfB4ENi1po7
Route will be well marked. It's along Sligo way before a detour to the Trig point at the top of Slieve Daeane (only way is up) and back the way you came.
Beginner friendly on purpose and well be well worth doing!
Turlough ConwayJul 21 2022, 1:36pmEvent page updated, have a read and please note slight change to route which brings in a nice path through the forest cutting out fireroad.

Please note the IMRA requirement that Shower proof jackets are mandatory to wear or carry during the race for safety reasons.

We will check runners in at registration which will close at 10:45.
Turlough ConwayJul 21 2022, 1:39pmJust to note also, registration is online only, you won't be able to register on the day. Please let anyone know who is thinking of running.
Turlough ConwayJul 23 2022, 6:54amHi all.

Marked the route last night. The open mountain section is quite tough and rough. Therefore we will have a short course option which includes all of the route apart from the open mountain section to the summit.
If very new to mountain running and/or not confident in the endurance for the significant extra slog to the summit then this might be the right option for you. The short course amounts to a tough route anyway.
Anyone, goiing for the summit, the terrain is rough and the trick isn't necessarily speed but covering the ground safely and economically.
See ye soon.
Dean NooneyJul 23 2022, 8:59amLooking forward to it thanks
Theresa KilgannonJul 23 2022, 9:18amHi all,.
Sorry new to imra, only seeing this section now. I'm volunteering today but will only make it over for 10am.
Derek HunterJul 23 2022, 1:29pmThanks Turlough and others for work in putting today together. Huge enthusiasm among those running for having more races on the Sligo trails and expect word will spread. Thanks again
Paul BarrJul 23 2022, 1:58pmFantastic event Turlough. Thanks to all the volunteers and was brilliant to have an event in Sligo.
Dean NooneyJul 23 2022, 2:14pmFirst run in imra and really enjoyed it ,thanks to all the volunteers they were great ,hopefully more races this side of the country soon
John ShielsJul 23 2022, 6:02pmGreat race this morning, even if I was 2nd last :)
Photos added to the event page
Seamus SomersJul 23 2022, 6:23pmThanks again Turlough for organizing the event this morning, really enjoyable, well done to everyone who took part and fair play to all the marshalls on route. Hopefully we'll see more races like this in Sligo.
Turlough ConwayJul 23 2022, 10:16pmHuge thanks to all the volunteers and runners today. An eye opener to me how many trail/offroad runners there are in Sligo and the North West and how many trail and mountain routes are used by these runners.
Anyway, great potential for more races to emulate some of the other regions. Results will be up over weekend. Anyone who ran the race is registered with IMRA can write up a race report so would be great to get peoples point of views up for the craic.
I'll do same and add provisional results in morning
Turlough ConwayJul 25 2022, 5:29pmRace report up now.
Brendan LawlorJul 26 2022, 10:14amWell done Turlough for organising this race.. in a year of many IMRA firsts, this was another one.. hopefully it becomes an annual event
Richard KilfeatherAug 26 2022, 5:56pmGreat Race Turlough many thanks.

can you send me your contact details id be happy to help you with future events around Sligo

Thanks again Richard
rkilfeather@gmail.com