Irish Mountain
Running Association

Solstice All Wicklow Glacier Lakes attempt

AuthorDateMessage
Paul O'CallaghanDec 20 2021, 7:24pmI'll be making an attempt at the All Wicklow Glacier Lakes challenge this Tuesday, 21 December (Winter Solstice).

My goal is to dip my toe in the first lake at sunset (4:08pm), map and compass navigate the entire route in darkness, and reach the final lake before sunrise (8:38am).

I'll attempt to touch my toe in each of the following 13 lakes:

Lower Lough Bray
Upper Lough Bray
Lough Tay
Lough Dan
Cleevaun Lough
Lough Ouler
Lough Nahanagan *
Lough Ferrib
Lough Finageain
Art's Lough
Kelly's Lough
Loch Lagh (Glendalough upper lake)
Loch na Peiste (Glendalough lower lake)

*Lough Nahanagan is completely fenced around by the ESB, so I'll touch the fence no further than 120m from the waters edge.

The challenge will take in roughly 65km, 2,700m ascent and 2,900m descent.

I'll abide by the following conditions:

Start the clock when my toe touches water in the first lake, and stop the clock when my toe touches water in the last lake.

Use no public roads.

Use no electronic navigation aids.

Have no logistical support or drop bags.

Have no support runners.
Warren SwordsDec 20 2021, 7:56pmBest of luck Paul, that's a serious challenge.

Enjoy!
Daniel HearneDec 21 2021, 4:37amProper challenge that fair play. Must do that myself, will you swim in the lakes?
Barry O'NeillDec 21 2021, 7:37amI’m loving the sound of this.
Best of luck!
Richard NunanDec 21 2021, 8:35amBest of Luck Paul ! Hope your toe doesnt get to Numb !
Barry O'NeillDec 21 2021, 11:51amPaul, are you doing them in the order posted?
Graham K. BusheDec 21 2021, 12:10pmGreat Stuff Paul. Best of luck with it.
You'll need a couple more toes :)
Alan AylingDec 21 2021, 1:38pmSome challenge Paul, best of luck, enjoy it!
Seems something of a pity you didn't include tunnelling under the ESB's stoopid fence...
Stephen BrennanDec 21 2021, 3:58pmAll the best Paul. Brilliant!
Paul O'CallaghanDec 22 2021, 9:27amI finished at 7:13am. Toughest navigation I've done. Yes, ran them in the order posted. Thanks for the well wishes guys.
Graham K. BusheDec 22 2021, 9:42amWell Done Paul, great going.
I was thinking of you this morning as I plodded through the rain and mist... anad that was in the shelter of Kindlesown Woods!!
Barry O'NeillDec 22 2021, 10:27amGreat stuff Paul!!
Phil behanDec 22 2021, 11:49amDeadly, well done. Would love to try that in the New Year !
Warren SwordsDec 22 2021, 1:51pmWell done Paul, that's some going. Great time
Andy owensDec 22 2021, 6:50pmBig well done,would love to see the route you took.Especially from Lough Bray to lough Dan and Lough Dan to Cleevaun Lough
Jason DowlingDec 22 2021, 9:02pmSuper congratulations on an epic achievement Paul. I'm just after plotting a route out in ViewRanger and it came up at 71km, 3K metre gain and 3.2K metre loss. Though your navigation is probably much better than my route plotting on viewranger.

In daylight, that would be a serious challenge, to do it at night is incredible. Hope the feet are up enjoying a beer and a few Crimbo sweets to celebrate :) Very well done..