Irish Mountain
Running Association

Running The Wicklow Way

AuthorDateMessage
Séamus CumminsOct 28 2021, 7:50pmHello everyone!

In August, I am coming back for the first time in 16 years from America to run the Wicklow Way. I have mapped out the journey and plan to run it over five days with a few other trail/marathon runners based in Ireland and America, but this will be the first time we have run the Wicklow Way. If anyone has any training insight, gear suggestions, or other recommendations, I would greatly appreciate it.

Mise le meas,
Séamus Cummins
Sarah BradyOct 29 2021, 1:32pmHi Seamus. If you'll have gear changes along the way it would be worth wearing road shoes for the south end on the Way as it's mostly road/gravel surface for the last 20k or so. Also, in terms of which direction to run it, most agree that North to South (Dublin to Clonegal) is easier (more downhill) but I think the other direction is more enjoyable. You get the boring parts done first and save the beautiful mountains for the finish and there is a final stretch of five miles of downhill approaching the city and it's amazing. Worth running it all just for that bit. ;)
Raymond CumminsOct 29 2021, 6:00pmHello Seamus, we might be long lost cousins. :-)

I agree with Sarah about running from South to North. Over the last section, the last 30KM are probably 2 of the most exposed parts of the whole route so be sure to be prepared because it can get really cold along the boardwalk up near Djouce and before that last running section into Dublin.

There are a couple of places along the way where you can get water from taps otherwise there are some places where there is flowing water where you should be okay to drink if you get stuck.

By the sounds of it you will be running it over a few days anyway.

There is an excellent guide book with information and OS maps called "The Wicklow Way" Map Guide by East West Mapping which you should be able to get online or someone over here in Ireland will be able to get a copy.

The route is very well marked and now that the ferns have begun to die away some of the posts which were not visible will be visible again.

Good Luck!!! Enjoy.
Séamus CumminsOct 29 2021, 7:52pmHi Sarah,

Thank you very much for the suggestions. We are going to start in Clonegal for the exact reason that you had mentioned. I cannot wait to get back and run in the mountains.

Here is the route we have planned:
Day 1 - Clonegal to Tinahealy
Day 2 - Tinahealy to Aughavannagh
Day 3 - Aughavannagh to Glendalough
Day 4 - Glendalough to Curtlestown
Day 5 - Curtlestown to Marlay Park

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Best wishes!
Séamus
Séamus CumminsOct 29 2021, 7:57pmRaymond,

It is quite the possibility we are long-lost cousins, lol. I appreciate you taking the time to get in touch. I will look to get a copy of The Wicklow Way" Map Guide. That will surely come in handy. If you have any other suggestions for the route I posted, please let me know.

All the best,
Séamus