Irish Mountain
Running Association

Powerscourt Ridge

AuthorDateMessage
Ellie KilleenSep 5 2021, 8:38amHi are juniors allowed to participate in this race? Thanks !
Lillian DeeganSep 5 2021, 10:21amHi Michelle, your little ones will need to sit this one out most likely. With it being a winter race, it can be a shocker of a wet and windy one for the grown ups never mind an added task of getting little people home safe and sound too.

A good gauge for you to know/ get familiar with ahead of schedule for any race (with a junior route established), would be if you look at years previous and see how things were worked there.

Keep an eye out for the Dec. 27th race - it will have a suitable distance for the small ones for deffo.
Ellie KilleenSep 5 2021, 11:10amThanks a million Lillian. Take care.
Iwona KelleherSep 29 2021, 10:30amHi is this Route not marked indeed as listed? I never run wiklow trails so wondering if easy/ difficult to get lost . Thanks. Iwona
Ian ConroySep 29 2021, 11:52amHi Iwona, you follow a marked trail to the summit and then you just descend down to the WW. I didn't get lost, which is saying a lot! I think only major junctions are marked as essentially these are the only places that you could. In my experience, even in inclement weather it's well marked and marshalled.
Lillian DeeganSep 29 2021, 2:57pmThanks Ian. I've a mini correction to make here. The event page details read this one as "route not marked" therefore no junctions will be marked - major or otherwise.

Iwona hi,
You are spot on, this race route will not be marked. In my opinion, it is not a route where you'd get lost on but never say never I suppose I aught to say.

I have just gone in as race director and I'd hope to have a route marshal available to me on the day at the summit/ turnabout location.

Depending on your running ability, I'd suggest you consider entering and buddy up with another runner for everyone's peace of mind.

Lillian
Iwona KelleherSep 29 2021, 3:53pmThanks a lot for feedback...
Niamh MurphyOct 29 2021, 2:19pmHi there, I'm wondering if you can do the shorter course at the earlier start time too? Thanks
Lillian DeeganOct 29 2021, 2:39pmAbsolutely Niamh, you sure can. I'll have one of my volunteers take a bib No. listing of all who head out as early birds for both distances.

On the subject of volunteers- might we try and source a few more hands to help at Reg. for race morning - running and/or non running would be very welcome.

Thanks all,
Lillian
Henny BrandsmaOct 30 2021, 9:56amHi Lillian, I put my name down as volunteer for this race, but as I am still recovering from a week stay in hospital, could you give me a spot at registration and start and finish. Thanks Henny.
Lillian DeeganOct 30 2021, 10:25pmHello Henny, sorry to hear you’ve been under the weather. But glad to hear your out & about now - even gladder that you’ve popped in here for me - thank you. And yep, I’ll keep you for the Reg. area - no probs at all. Look forward to a catch up once we let the field off Sat. morning.

For my trusty helper crew: Many thanks for the help offers folks. I’ll get an email out to you mid week with a few proposed tasks. Keep an eye out from Wednesday onward for my little love letter.

Lillian
Gary BradyNov 1 2021, 4:39pmHi. First race on Saturday. Looking forward to it. Quick question, is there any water station on the route? Thanks, Gary
Gordon PlaceNov 1 2021, 6:14pmOnly the Dargle Gary!
Gary BradyNov 2 2021, 10:12amLovely. Crystal clear!
James TierneyNov 2 2021, 10:46amHi, just checking as it's my first chipped race do I need to buy a chip on the website or do you get your first chip as part of your membership to collect before the race? Thanks a mill
Sean ByrneNov 2 2021, 11:37amHi my first race and I am looking forward to it. Just wondering if anyone is traveling down from Dublin would they be able to give me a lift?
Warren SwordsNov 2 2021, 11:43amYou get your first chip as part of membership and collect it before the race when you sign in. You then keep it and use for subsequent races.

If lost, you can buy a replacement one.
Dave DochertyNov 2 2021, 1:14pmGary/Gordon. I hear the little stream/run off that crosses the WW on the shoulder of Djouce is safe to drink from. I haven't tried yet myself but if ye wanna be the Guinee pigs...
William Paul FenwickNov 3 2021, 2:47pmHi guys, similarly to Sean I'm also looking for a lift from Dublin, and if anyone could give me one it would be much appreciated.

If you can, could you please drop me an email on w (dot) p (dot) Fenwick (at) Gmail (dot) com.
Jeff SwordsNov 3 2021, 5:14pmHave entries been closed inadvertently?
Lillian DeeganNov 3 2021, 5:18pmNot sure what’s happened guys. I’ve asked for them to be reopened. Lillian
Jeff SwordsNov 3 2021, 5:19pmCheers Lillian.
Lillian DeeganNov 4 2021, 7:30amAnd so it seems we’ve reached our head count cap. While the page detail reads 213 as entered, we have x amt of purchases on a go slow to show our entry limit as reached at 225. Pól has kindly shared the go slow few. I’ll run through them later this morn and double check the same names are in in. And for the few who missed an entry, soz. There is nada that can be done at this stage I’m afraid.

Lillian
Paul ClarkeNov 4 2021, 11:48amHi,
Is registration closed for the Powerscourt Ridge? Website advises its tomorrow? I have purchased membership just cant seem to purchase ticket for event. TIA
Stuart ScottNov 4 2021, 12:08pmHi Paul. Yes it is unfortunately as per Lillian's message directly above your one. A website bug is showing it as still available but it's sold out. I missed out too!
Justin ReaNov 4 2021, 1:00pmJust to point out that the maps on the event page are quite old and since then the Maulin loop walk has been constructed. This may mean confusion near the start after turning right to go up the ride. You now have to cross a forest road then also cross the new Maulin loop path up onto a faint path in order to reach the stile at the top before turning right on an overgrown path towards the wall that leads you to the summit.
Stephen BrennanNov 4 2021, 2:49pm@Justin - Is that right? I thought the route was along the Maulin loop path.
Justin ReaNov 4 2021, 6:40pm@Stephen. My point exactly! The traditional route, as per Paul Nolan's and my route descriptions on the Maps tab, is right to the top of "the ride from Hell" to the stile then right along the upper trail that contours around Maulin until you reach the wall. Because of the new loop trail, very few people now use this section, so it is quite overgrown.
Conor NolanNov 4 2021, 9:16pmNow I *am* confused. Looking back on Strava I see the last Ridge race in 2019 was the first (?) to use the Maulin Loop route and up the horrid NW face. Is that the same again this year - or - is it per the maps, i.e. on the higher path and up the NE side of Maulin by the wall?
Justin ReaNov 4 2021, 9:35pmThanks Conor. That explains it. I last ran this in 2018 on old route. An alternative is to run up loop track, but cut up to the upper track on the same route as the Maulin Winter descent. Not much in the difference. It's up to the Race Director really.
Graham K. BusheNov 5 2021, 12:50amIf you didn't manage to secure a place in this Race, have a look at the Kilmac Running Festival in a couple of weeks. Entries now open, so book early :)
Lillian DeeganNov 5 2021, 11:26amWith a few of our IMRA every ready volunteers having missed getting an entry to tomorrow's race, committee have given me the ok to allow for the shop to open to 10 more entries for a brief period this lunchtime.

The shop will open today at 12 midday and it will close at 14h sharp. After this time slot, that's it.

Graham, I'd be hopeful many of tomorrow's hardy snipers will see you for one of your 3 distances on the 27th too :)

On the route choice topic raised yesterday by Justin. I will be running the org. Powerscourt Ridge race route. The early stage section of the race will now have a few markers in situ.

I'll be back later today with the last of our pre race bits for mention.

Lillian
Lillian DeeganNov 5 2021, 8:56pmEvening folks,

Last few bits ahead of tomorrow.

Car parking: I am asking everyone to arrive early and follow our car park marshals direction. With Crone being a busy spot at the weekend and the weather given to be ok for the time of year - it is going to be a pretty busy station in the morning.

If you can carpool with the current HSE guidelines in mind, please do so.

Please use a face mask in the registration area and for the 1st 100 meters of the race route. Im asking everyone to do their level best to keep socially distanced ahead of gun time too.

If you are taking an early start at 10am, can you please let our sign-in volunteer ladies know when your name and No. checking. Early starters need to be 160% of the winning time on the 16km route. You will need to be ready for race brief by 9:50. No last minute ppl please.

Everyone need to wear their original IMRA race No. and you need to carry a waterproof jacket - IMRA policy. Those not with either on the return will be DNF'd without issue. If you need a new number, please get one at the numbers desk in the morning.

In the morning you will que to see the sign-in ladies. Then follow on to the numbers desk (if you need to collect a number) or you'll be directed straight to the laptop and chip desk. We'll have 200 ish ppl to see through so it won't be a morning for shooting the breeze and that long winded chin wag. Let's keep everything moving swiftly. Chats can be after reg and post race.

All my helpers will be above from 8:45 ish to set up shop. We'll open for 9:15 and close at 10:15 all going well.

And that's it folks - Any Q's - ask me in the morning.

Sleep well everyone.

Lillian
Mikey FryNov 5 2021, 9:13pmWill there be French fancies after race Lillian??:)
Lillian DeeganNov 5 2021, 9:29pmOh now, I’d say absolutely Mikey F. Will you be sure to bring enough for everyone tho. Maybe 2 or 3 each should work. Very thoughtful of you - cheers.
Barry O'NeillNov 6 2021, 1:54pmSweet mother of god. The wind.

Massive kudos to the summit marshals.
Louise KeoghNov 6 2021, 2:41pmI'm now thankful for my Covid Stone! Made it harder to get blown off the top of Djouce! Thank you so much to all volunteers. You were awesome.
Steven PettigrewNov 6 2021, 3:09pmThanks to all the volunteers today. Great race.
Liam BoweNov 6 2021, 3:31pmWell Lillian, that was the most life affirming experience for alot of us in about 2 years. Míle míle buíochas to you and all helpers, especially Joe and Jim on the summits (I thought it was Luke Skyywalker in meditation mode on Djouce at a quick glance). I hope all the newbies to IMRA survived and will be back for more (it can only get a little rougher at times - not much!). The parking worked a treat too ;).
Take care, Liam
James H CahillNov 6 2021, 4:01pmThank you Lillian and all the volunteers for a great day out on the hills. Especially Joe and Jim. It was epic. My running is always sideways and the breeze almost straightened me. Great fun, great day. Thank you all.
Jeff SwordsNov 6 2021, 4:03pmThe wind over the shoulder of Djouce was crazy alright, it wasn't even gusts, just a constant howl like standing Infront of a jet engine. Lad Infront of me had his legs blown from under him but suffered no ill effects, apart from dented pride maybe..Being unable to see clearly through the buff I pulled over my face was a worthwhile disadvantage at the time.

Kudos to the marshalls, Joe (or was it Jim?) was well hunkered down on Djouce, Maulin marshal had similar ideas, but no such cover for the one above the river

Thanks to all involved, and soft drink cans at the finish are always brilliant.
Laura FlynnNov 6 2021, 4:54pmThanks Lillian and hats off for dealing with the challenges of parking and weather. Great entertainment with your pre-race briefing and the wind on top of Maulin and Djouce.
Huge thanks to Joe Lalor and Jim Fitz who definitely got the hardest stations today.
James HigginsNov 6 2021, 5:03pmHave to echo my thanks to Lillian and all the marshals for allowing us to indulge in our passion. As other posters have said the Summit Marshals (Jim Fitzharris and Joe Lalor) deserve special mention. No amount of thermal underwear could keep that wind away from the bones! Thank You!
Sarah BradyNov 6 2021, 5:03pmReally enjoyed that. Thanks so much to all the volunteers, and to whoever brought the goodies for the finish. :)
Rachel CinnsealachNov 6 2021, 5:13pmMy first IMRA race this year and OMG it did not disappoint. It was epic. Thanks to Lillian and her team of volunteers and a big thanks to all the marshals especially Joe and Jim... It was so WINDY.
Robert CunninghamNov 6 2021, 5:32pmAs always this race was great, and we'll worth the journey up from Limerick. Massive thanks to all the volunteers today.
Brendan LawlorNov 6 2021, 5:46pmWell done and thank you to Lillian and her team today (especially the marshals) for a great epic race ! The gusts at the summits did not disappoint!

Without wanting to wreck anyones buzz, we did create a fair old nuisance of ourselves for any other users of the Crone Wood Car Park today. I'm not sure that level of disruption is sustainable into the future so parking alternatives will need to be looked at. You could for example, run a variant of this race starting and finishing at the new car park at Pier Gates, and not cause as much local headaches. For another day I guess.
Stephen BrennanNov 6 2021, 5:51pmWhat a fantastic race. Thanks to everyone involved.

I'm still buzzing!
Kallum FahyNov 6 2021, 6:00pmThank you to whoever found my phone and left it at the front!
Dee BohanNov 6 2021, 6:10pmThanks Lillian for a well organised and super morning out ,total respect to all the volunteers on route. Glad to have survived the crazy gusts of wind on top.
Linda RowdenNov 6 2021, 6:53pmMassive thanks to Lillian and all the volunteers out on the route today, especially Joe and Jim on the summits. I'm not sure if my rosy glow is from the buzz or windburn...a bit of both I suspect!
Peter BellNov 6 2021, 6:53pmThanks Lillian and all who made the race happen, forgot how good that race is. Roll on the Mountain festival!
Alan AylingNov 6 2021, 7:46pmBleedin' whopper, as they say where I live.
Cracking race. Great crew in charge.
Nice race report by Mikey too.
Current status here: pheasantly plucked
Eadaoin QuinnNov 6 2021, 8:31pmThat was a brilliant run. I loved it. It's a fabulous route. The rainbow after battling the wind was magic. Thanks so much to all the volunteers.
Claire MorrisseyNov 7 2021, 9:24amThanks to Lillian and all the volunteers (especially the summit heroes) for making yesterday happen.
Caroline ReidNov 8 2021, 9:49amMassive thanks to Lillian and all the team for a brilliant race. It was a long day for the volunteers, especially Joe, Linda and Jim but your efforts were so appreciated!

Magic race and as usual Djouce didn't disappoint, with such a battle to stay upright coming off Djouce! Then the surreal image of Linda and Joe standing in the middle of a rainbow coming up from the Dargle. Great memories, great day. THANKS EVERYONE!!!
Thomas DonohoeNov 8 2021, 10:14amthat was full on. thanks to the organisers and volunteers... especially those hardy souls sitting on the mountaint ops!
Conor O'FarrellNov 8 2021, 10:28amHI All

Results are now up. There are bound to be a number of errors, due to the early-short, early, short and regular start. If you spot an error, please email me at results@imra.ie.

Con
Mary CollinsNov 8 2021, 1:48pmThanks Lillian and all your volunteers for race/event. It was a tough day for volunteers to stand around esp up on mountains.
Huge gratitude to the two guys who rescued me from being pushed off side of Djouce by the wind on descent-- and pulled me back up and along into a safer region.