Irish Mountain
Running Association

IMRA Juniors Open Championship

Miriam MaherJul 20 2020, 3:19pmEntries for our junior trials for the British & Irish Championships are now open!

I need a few volunteers for the event, first aid being a key one.

All sign ups for volunteer roles much appreciated!!


Miriam MaherAug 5 2020, 9:59pmDear All

Unfortunately, we have been advised by the organisers of the British & Irish Junior Mountain Running Championships that they have been forced to make the difficult decision to postpone the championships until next year.

The decision was taken due to ongoing issues over organising race events within Covid 19 safety guidelines and in particular because the event involved participants from outside of the Island of Ireland: i.e. England, Wales and Scotland.

The logistics of these competitors travelling to and from the event and the possible health risks for them and for others could not be overcome.

As a result, we have had to take the decision to cancel the scheduled trials for this Sunday.

I very much regret the short notice of this message, the decision to postpone the championships has only just been confirmed.

We are now actively looking into holding an All Ireland Open Race Championship event instead for the junior athletes, north and south, as we are not currently restricted in movement around the country and our racing protocols allow us to hold races of this scale.

We hope to be able to confirm plans for this new event, provisionally to be held in early September in Wicklow, very soon.

Full detail will also be posted on our website.

An email has also just gone to all entrants to these trials directly

My apologies for this short notice and any inconvenience caused - we really hope the alternative race plans are of interest instead.

All the best

Lilly JonesOct 1 2020, 9:24amHi There. Entries disabled and not up on the online entries part yet?
Miriam MaherOct 1 2020, 11:09amHi Lily

Getting that checked out now - thanks for the highlighting it.

Miriam MaherOct 1 2020, 3:25pmEntry window now open

Apologies about the delay in this happening earlier today.

Many thanks

Miriam MaherOct 2 2020, 9:14amMorning! Looking for a few more volunteers for this event. A laptop operator and a few more general helper roles.

Thanks in advance!

Tom HoganOct 5 2020, 10:26amHi Miriam

I can give you a hand with whatever needs doing.

Miriam MaherOct 5 2020, 10:40amHi Tom

Many thanks - have added you there just now

Rebecca MageeOct 5 2020, 5:17pmAre we still on for saturday?
Miriam MaherOct 5 2020, 5:28pmHi Rebecca

Waiting for the confirmed government decision about any restriction level changes. Once we have that we will be assessing any impact on the planned races.

So bear with me - will be updating here as soon as I can either way:)


Miriam MaherOct 6 2020, 8:37amGood morning,

As per the commmittee update last night, very regretfully, I am confirming that the Open Junior Championship races scheduled for Saturday has been cancelled.

All race entrants should have received an email this morning on this from me. Contact me : if you didn't receive this emal.

It's a huge disappointment to us that we can't make this event work out at this time.

Hoping for a better year next year and many junior focused racing and development events on the hills.

All the very best to you and your families, stay well and safe.


Miriam Maher
Junior Affairs Officer
Miriam MaherOct 6 2020, 8:43amI should have said this in the previous message. But many thanks to those that had volunteered, not just for this event, but also for the previously scheduled dates for this event. In particular, alot of work done by Angela Flynn, John Bell and Leo Mahon in sorting out logistics for this event. Many thanks to all of you. Next Year!!!