Irish Mountain
Running Association

Solstice Run 2022

AuthorDateMessage
Brendan LawlorDec 12 2022, 8:31amSolstice Run on Wednesday 21st Dec at 7pm , route as in previous years

Starting at Ballinastoe Car Park, head into the forest , take first right and then 400 m later take a left up to the fire break, keep going out onto the open mountain, head up with the forest fence (most of the forestry has been felled) on your left until you meet the Wicklow Way sleepers, head right up to White Hill and then onwards to the summit of Djouce, back the same way

If you have to ask a lot of questions this probably isn't for you.If its your first time trying this, best to stick with someone who knows the route. After the run we will head to the Coach House pub in Roundwood for some Christmas cheer.

Splitters are more than welcome to organise morning runs, etc knock yourselves out. Early starters or walkers please feel free to do your own thing.

This is NOT an official IMRA event
Kevin O'RiordanDec 19 2022, 4:38pmDriving from Central Park, Leopardstown if anyone wants a lift.
Elizabeth WheelerDec 19 2022, 8:52pmI would love to do this but have no car on Wednesday. Is anyone leaving from near a dart station that could take my son Joseph and I?
Aideen BurkeDec 19 2022, 10:00pmI would also love to join but won’t have a car. Is anyone leaving from Dublin City centre/D8/D6 and able to give a lift? I’ll happily contribute towards petrol costs
Pól Ó MurchúDec 19 2022, 10:22pmI’ll be heading from Swords (Airside) heading along M50 if that any use to you Liz or anyone else.
Nicoline GreerDec 20 2022, 12:39pmHi
Is there anywhere to find out further info about this (eg how long is it)
Thanks so much
Nicoline
Mick HanneyDec 20 2022, 9:38pmc9.5k. You should have a good, fully charged head-torch and be fairly self-sufficient. Terrain is a mix of boardwalk and rough trail.
Brendan LawlorDec 21 2022, 8:06amWeather forecast looks reasonable for this evening.. some light rain possible after 8pm but hopefully we'll be nearly back by then.. see you later
Brian McGuckinDec 21 2022, 11:43amHi,
Leaving from kimmage around 6 if its any good
Aideen BurkeDec 21 2022, 12:08pmBrian - Kimmage would be perfect if you have space for me? I can cycle your way for 6. Number 0838214440.
Thank you!
David PowerDec 22 2022, 8:45amRACE REPORT - Winter Solstice 2022
Sometimes you think you're a little bit mad, that your friends and family look at you and take a step back when they see you in your muddy gear, with scraped shins, reflective clothing and spittle on your cheeks.
Then you say to yourself "sure there were 150 people up that mountain, I'm normal."
And so it was down in Wicklow to celebrate Casadh na mbliana, the turning of the year. The winter solstice.
Brendan Lawlor put up an enticing post - just enough info to know something was happening, with enough gaps for you to fill in yourself. Just like running over the boardwalks in the dark - hoping you get it right and don't trip.
The lack of formal organisation was liberating - no sign in, no chip timing, no jacket check, no laptop, no route map posted, no idea of distance or elevation. If you needed to ask questions, this wasn't for you. You'd want to have been up Djouce before - then you can sit back and relax.
Off we went from the barrier, head torches and reflective jackets mingling. You chat to the dark shadow beside you - unaware of who it is, til you recognise their voice, or perhaps their quirky running style (we all have one). Not a race, so time to talk. Non conventional equipment brought too - Tim had a giant handheld torch - the kind you put in the press for when the electricity goes out. The stream of dotted lights up ahead in the darkness was magical. The early starters set the way. Kids, dogs, adults, everyone in good spirits, with time to stop and chat even. Luke was busy stargazing - Jupiter over there, Mars up here. Topics of discussion varied over the night from looking back at 2022 to forward to 2023 ("are ya going to do the round?"). A flask of tea and mince pies from the boot of the car, then onwards to the pub in Roundwood to see peoples faces for the first time and discover who was actually out there. We'd only been away from civilisation for a few hours, but it would renew the spirit and give you bundles of energy. When are we next going up a hill in the dark?