Irish Mountain
Running Association

Solstice run

AuthorDateMessage
Gavan DuffyNov 23 2020, 10:20pmAnyone planning to run up Djouce around 18th or 19th at 7pm for the Solstice this year?
Kevin O'RiordanNov 23 2020, 10:31pmWas starting to think about that. The Solstice is 21st of December this year and with any luck, we might be back to "Level 2" restrictions by then.
Alice ClancyNov 24 2020, 10:00amYES! this would be lovely if it's possible. Come on Level 2...or level 3 with bells on or whatever combination will allow us to do this!
Brendan LawlorNov 24 2020, 11:19amHi

We won't know about this until we see what way restrictions are next month

But as you'll all already know
- its not an Official IMRA event
- you can run up that mountain any old evening you want, providing its within your 5km limit
- the Solstice is on Monday 21st December this year
- the pubs will very likely not be open
-the Splitters (Grrr) usually do a morning run

And what you might not know
- this will be the 10th anniversary of this non event

So fingers crossed
Andrew HanneyNov 24 2020, 7:17pmAnd the weather will be rotten as usual, but hey that’s part of it!
Ken CowleyNov 25 2020, 6:51pmLooks like the 'county restriction' will remain in place until approximately 18th December, even though the 5km restriction will be lifted next week. However, if those dates are correct, that timeline WOULD allow for a Dublin-IMRA solstice assault on Djouce..
Brendan LawlorNov 28 2020, 8:51amHi all

Unfortunately we will still be at Level 3 restrictions on Dec 21st, with a limit of 15 people for outdoor sports gatherings.

Additionally this is really not the year to burden our friends in Mountain Rescue or the health services with someone getting lost or injured up on Djouce in the dark.

So please do your own thing this year to mark the Solstice and we will hopefully be back in action again for Solstice 2021.
Graham K. BusheNov 29 2020, 10:55pmIf we do our own thing, how about people getting to their nearest summit for a particular time (eg 8pm) with a bright light to wave. See how many hills we can light up. I know it will depend on the weather allowing a bit of visibility (so Djouce is probably out lol)
Just an idea...
Stuart ScottNov 30 2020, 11:44amWell said Brendan. We've had far fewer runs this year than we'd normally have so we're all probably a little rusty. It's probably not a good year for the hordes to descend on Djouce!

I do like Graham's idea...it helps to spread the numbers and means people will be running on hills they're familar with.
Graham K. BusheDec 21 2020, 10:39amThis morning, peering out my kitchen window, I couldn’t see Sugarloaf. Nothing startling in that comment… except for those who know that I live ON the Sugarloaf. Yes, visibility is a bit, eh, limited. And now in my office it hasn’t changed all that much. However, I write this in the hopes of a change in our favour. I intend to summit the Great Sugarloaf at 8pm tonight bearing my bright head-torch to shine as far as I can. Perhaps one or two more might take to their local hills to do likewise. Failing that, get out for a run or hike and indulge in a selfie or two to share. We didn’t get to meet as many of each other as we may have liked this year so, looking forward to 2021 and Happy Christmas to you all! G
Brendan LawlorDec 22 2020, 12:30pmReal IMRA, Continuity IMRA, I Can't Believe its Not IMRA and several other factions of the unofficial IMRA family were in Socially Distant, Government Regulation compliant Solstice action on the hills yesterday.

Well done to all and sundry who braved the elements and to those who missed out, Solstice 2021 will be the best ever, just you wait and see !

Happy Christmas everyone and heres to a better 2021.. shouldn't be too difficult I'd imagine...!