Irish Mountain
Running Association

Knockmealdown Half

AuthorDateMessage
Patricia DalyJan 16 2020, 9:37pmIs there going to be an early start the same way as last year?
Matthew BranchJan 17 2020, 10:01amHi Patricia
Yes. We are allowing an early start at 10am. All early starters need to sign in/register as normal (we will be there before 10am). However, this year there will ALSO be cutoffs. Cut-off times are tbc, but assume you need to complete in approx 4:30hrs. So if there is a cutoff of 2hrs midway into the race, then early starters will still be asked to retire if they are not there by 1pm (early starters get the extra hour to reach it).
Our volunteers were more than 6hrs on the hill last year, and this year the race is earlier and expected to be colder.
Final note - you can record your own time but you will intentionally be placed at the back of the field in terms of positioning. This was decided and agreed on at the AGM.
Look forward to seeing you again.
Matthew
Patricia DalyJan 20 2020, 9:45pmPerfect,thanks!
Matthew BranchJan 23 2020, 12:41pm***Recommendation***
There will be the normal Waterproof Jacket required for this race, but there may also be a requirement for gloves, head-covering abd emergency foil blanket. This will be decided closer to the time of the race. However, as much as the foil blanket is better than nothing, it can tear, be hard to open in wind, and may even dissintergrate if it's been sitting for years unused. I would STRONGLY recommend an emergency bivvy such as the one found here: https://www.greatoutdoors.ie/shop/emergency-bivvy
These are resusable, light-weight, and may actually save your life in a bad situation. I dont hold the same confidence in a foil blanket. Please prepare in advance. Thanks everyone.
Robbie WilliamsFeb 22 2020, 6:28pmHello all runners...

For this race we are getting some nice pottery mugs made, the same style as the Maurice Mullins race mug.

However as there is a lead time on the mugs, we have to give our closest order by Tuesday coming.

Can any potential runner please sign up by then to be sure of getting a nice Knockmealdown Half mug.

You can still enter the race after Tuesday but the ordered mugs will go to those who are signed up before then.

Thanks a lot everyone!
Alan AylingFeb 22 2020, 10:11pmHi lads,
Regarding "Only major junctions marked" - is there a recommended map we should carry? OSI, other?
Thanks
Alan
Mike JordanFeb 24 2020, 1:07pm@Alan EastWest Mapping have recently put out excellent maps for Knockmealdowns, along with Comeraghs and Galtees.
Alan AylingFeb 25 2020, 12:19amClass, thanks Mike. I didn't know they'd done one of the Knockmealdowns. Have the Comeragh one - it's a thing of beauty!
Matthew BranchFeb 25 2020, 1:58pmYup, thanks Mime. East west mapping is the way to go...
Mick HanneyFeb 27 2020, 7:25pmTook delivery of the EastWest map today for the Knockmealdowns. Looks great.
Mark BeerFeb 28 2020, 12:01amHi I'm trying to register to volunteer for the knock meal down half, but can't seem to get to the right place. Matthew can you get back to me if you still need helpers
Paul O BrienFeb 28 2020, 8:27pmMark, log into imra. Go to events, select Knockmealdown half. Scroll all the way down near the end and you will see a list of positions. At the bottom is helper. Just click on that one. Should be good.
Mark BeerFeb 29 2020, 9:00pmThanks Paul O'Brien I have done that but haven't got anything to confirm whether I'm needed or not
Robbie WilliamsMar 1 2020, 7:24pmHello all...

This race is closing tonight at 11pm

This is one day more than what was indicated already.

There will be no naked warrior dance, or no transfers.

Please Register tonight if you wish to run.

Thanks all
Robbie WilliamsMar 1 2020, 7:25pmPlease note that naked warrior dance relates to a list for those not getting in on time :)
Brendan O'LearyMar 2 2020, 6:36pmHi, any chance this will open for more entries, I missed the cut off yesterday
Matthew BranchMar 5 2020, 5:30pmSorry Brendan O'Leary. Closed and unlikely to re-open.
Jay EdwardsMar 6 2020, 3:21pm@Matthew Branch we are planning a recce this Sunday - any chance you have gpx of the route? Anyone fancy joining us just post here and we can arrange!
Jay
Paul O BrienMar 6 2020, 7:18pmhttps://www.plotaroute.com/mobile/route/754907.

You can download the file from here Jay.
Jay EdwardsMar 6 2020, 7:37pmCheers Paul...
Liam LenehanMar 9 2020, 9:03amHi,
Unfortunately I missed the deadline too.
Very keen to run this race if you reopen or you anticipate cancellations or no shows. I would be coming across from Kilkenny so happy to hear from you even on Saturday.
Thanks
lenehanliam@gmail.com or 0872411308
Gordon PlaceMar 9 2020, 1:37pmLooking forard to it. Got me waterproof pants n all

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/PVC-Waterproof-Plastic-Pants-Adult-DIAPER_60680599195.html
Matthew BranchMar 9 2020, 4:12pm:) you're a very naughty boy Gordon
Irial ConroyMar 9 2020, 9:14pmHey Guys, so I went and kinda broke my collarbone a wee bit at kenmare over the weekend, so I won't make it to this, the question I have is can I use the entry for another event or sell it on.. what's allowed?

Thanks in advance
Matthew BranchMar 10 2020, 5:14pm***RACE DIRECTOR UPDATE***
Due to risks associated with the Coronavirus outbreak I have decided on the following actions:

The Race will proceed as planned, HOWEVER,
1) the meeting point at the local GAA for showers and catering is removed. This facility will no longer be available. Not only is this a risk point, but it would be presumptious of me to assume the local community is ok with 200+ sweaty runners converging on their facilities and using the restrooms and canteen.
2) The individual packaging of refreshments for each runner that will now be supplied to them at the race finish (outdoors in the open).

This has been communicated with all runners by email this afternoon

I apologise in advance for this course of action. We all agree that trail running is probably of a very low risk but there is no harm in being thoroughly pro-active and taking the threat seriously. I hope everyone understands.
Liam LenehanMar 10 2020, 6:06pmIrial,
I would be happy to take your entry and pay you for it if that’s allowed?
Gordon PlaceMar 10 2020, 6:31pmHi Liam, there's an earlier post above confirming no transfers allowed, which I think is as usual.
Liam LenehanMar 11 2020, 8:45amThanks Gordon. I understand why now.
Irial ConroyMar 12 2020, 8:26amThanks Gordon, hadn't spotted that, is it possible to use the entry for another event?

Thanks
John J BarryMar 12 2020, 11:00amIrial,

Technology wise the current IMRA system has not got the capacity to facilitate transfers, cancellations etc.

The IMRA tech team are also volunteers who have many technology improvements in the pipeline. Just look at the lovely job they did with the website :-)

transfers or cancellations I would imagine are well done the list.
Matthew BranchMar 12 2020, 2:21pm***Race Director Update ***
Reposting Laura's forum message below. This will, unfortunately, mean the postponement of the Knockmealdown Half Marathon. Stay safe for now everyone. We will be in touch by email with all registered runners. Thanks for your understanding.:

Hi everyone,

On the back of Taoiseach Leo Varadkar’s statement this morning, and subsequent statement from AAI, we have decided that it would be sensible for us to Postpone all IMRA activities until after the 30th of March.

The Committee will now need the time to revise the Calendar for the coming month so that we can make the correct decisions. We will issue new Dates for MMU and MM Trail in the coming days to allow people to plan.

As always, we will continue to monitor the situation and update as necessary
Thanks for your support and understanding on this matter and please continue to be vigilant with hand washing, coughing and sneezing into your elbow, and seeking medical advice if you develop symptoms.

Laura
Sergej DikunApr 9 2020, 9:06amHiya...sorry, I may have missed an email, but with all the notifications coming in it's hard to keep track. Was there an additional decision made on this?
John J BarryApr 9 2020, 2:57pmSee topic:

https://www.imra.ie/forum/topic/id/5526

COMMENT: Laura Flynn Mar 25 2020, 2:09pm
Shane O'NeillJul 10 2020, 10:20amMorning, any update on this race date or did I miss something?
Robbie WilliamsJul 10 2020, 4:25pm12th Sept

We will update the calendar soon
Shane O'NeillJul 14 2020, 9:21amGreat thanks Robbie.
Power GanJul 21 2020, 7:57pmHi Guys I see the Half is rescheduled for September 12 if we purchased previously for the one that was cancelled in March does it carry over for September?
Robbie WilliamsJul 21 2020, 11:06pmYep

All entries automatically transfer to Sept.
If you need to get a refund and pull out you can
niall flynnJul 22 2020, 10:59amI understand that there are no transfers, but will refunded spots be opened up for new entries?
Gordon PlaceJul 22 2020, 11:06amMaybe a cut-off date for claiming refunds should be stated to give time for the above?
Sarah JonesJul 22 2020, 11:44amThis date won't suit me so could I get a refund please
Gordon PlaceJul 22 2020, 11:49amHi Sarah,
There was a post on the Maurice Mullins Half with an email address for refunds, assuming same address applies to Knockmealdown once you confirm which event you are looking for a refund on.

'Posting the refunds email address just in case its needed. refunds@imra.ie'
Robbie WilliamsJul 22 2020, 12:32pmRegarding numbers.

We are happy to let numbers drop for this race as this was sold before lockdown

So any refunds are final , there will be no places freed up I’m afraid .
Sergej DikunSep 9 2020, 2:50pmHi,

I may not be able to attend the race on 19th of September, but one of the lads in my club would like to do it instead. I know that the policy states that there are no transfers, but perhaps considering the circumstances this can be arranged?

Thanks,
Sergej
Robbie WilliamsSep 9 2020, 9:09pmHi Lads

Refunds because of date change is not a big problem.

However we definitely will not be opening to any more runners.

We ourselves would be happier with a slightly lower number in this years races.
Brian FlannellySep 20 2020, 12:32pmResults are now up for this event - any questions/queries on them, please email:
brian <dot> flannelly <at> imra <dot> ie