Irish Mountain
Running Association

Wicklow Way Ultra

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
John WalshJan 30 2012, 7:44pmHi there,
I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to get started learning how to navigate through the mountains when on long trail runs etc. I'm hoping to complete the 50k Wicklow Way race (very much holding up the rear !) but know I need to learn how to do this. Aside from "google it", any tips would be welcome, thanks :-)
Mick HanneyJan 30 2012, 8:26pmThe Wicklow way trail and ultra races are predominantly on Wicklow way which is waymarked with minor exception (down into Ballinastoe). If you adhere to the yellow signs en route you should be okay. Best thing to do is familiarise yourself with the route by running stretches of it and building up the stamina to cope with the rigours of the day.
Paul O'GradyJan 30 2012, 9:00pmHi John

Ordanance survey Ireland does a great little book on the Wicklow way - you should be able to get it in Easons or the Great Outdoors or 53 Degrees North. Basically it puts the maps together in a pocket sized ring bound booklet. That way you could plan what sections you want to run.

After that the navigation is quite easy and probably better described a map reading!!
Caroline ReidJan 30 2012, 10:14pmHi John,

You really don't have to worry about being able to navigate for the Wicklow way ultra.

The Wicklow way is very well sign posted but it is good to recce the whole route before the race (not all in one go, but you could do different sections each week if you can).

If you want to email me if theres any section you want to recce, I'll do it with you. I'm just coming back from injury so won't be going to hard :)

reid_carrie@yahoo.ie

Then if you want to learn to navigate for the longer IMRA races at weekends, check out www.orienteering.ie

All the best with the training
Caroline
Gavan DohertyJan 30 2012, 10:35pmHi John,

There's a beginner-level orienteering event in Hellfire woods this Sunday Feb 5th:
http://orienteering.ie/builder.php3?MoreFixtures-1054

which would be ideal for any IMRA-folk who'd like to give map-reading a go. The details aren't finalised yet, but there would usually be 2 courses (long ~ 5k, short ~ 3k), both ideal for beginners.

another good idea is to buy one or two maps of the wicklow way/dublin & wicklow mountains and just go out and try to keep your place on the map while following the yellow markers (i'd recommend anything from east west mapping - http://www.eastwestmapping.ie).

keep your eye on this forum over the next few weeks, there should be plenty of people proposing 'recce' or reconnaissance runs of the various legs - best way to learn is from others!

cheers,
Paul O'GradyJan 31 2012, 11:55pm@Gavan

Do you have any other information about Sunday? The website has little or no information.

Do you need a map or any other gear (jacket water etc)???

Cheers

Paul
Hazel ThompsonFeb 1 2012, 10:47amHi Paul,

The full details just became available last night and the website is now updated. See:
http://www.setantaorienteers.org/event/2012-non-league-hellfire

This event is open to all (as most orienteering events are).

Maps will be supplied with the courses printed on to them. These are orienteering specific maps, so if you are any way unsure, talk to me (or any of the helpers) before you start and we can give you some guideance.

The forecast for Sunday is to be dry, so jackets will not be required - it is your choice whether to carry one to keep warm if it is a cold day.

Starts are between 11am and 1pm and the course closed at 3pm - so if you aren't finished by 3pm, you need to return to the registration area as the controls will be collected at that time. Therefore, if you think you migt take a while around the course, it is better to start early.

Hopefully see you there,
Hazel
Gavan DohertyFeb 1 2012, 11:14amHi Paul/John,

Hazel's got most of the details covered in the link to the Setanta orienteers website.

footwear - similar shoes to an IMRA race.
clothing - you're likely to be going a bit slower (got to follow the map) and through forest, so track-suit or similar would be about right.

there's also tons of detail on the orienteering.ie FAQ (http://orienteering.ie/wiki/doku.php?id=ioa:faq).

see you there.
Dermot MurphyFeb 8 2012, 9:31pmPlease note the I have added the following kit requirements for this years race: A raincoat, hat and gloves will be required to be carried by all runners.
Ronan O'DonnellFeb 19 2012, 5:30pmIs the start at jonnie foxes? and what time would i have to be there to register for an early start?, as I am a bit of a plodder.
Bernard PabonMar 1 2012, 7:44amHi
I am planning on heading up to recce the course this weekend - anyone interested in meeting up either day to run part of the course?
Bernard
Dermot MurphyMar 1 2012, 9:27amRonan, sorry for the late reply, only saw your note now. Yes, the Ultrs starts at Johnnie Foxes. You can have an early start for 8:30am (early starters, please start then if you can), although I can be there a bit earlier, if you feel you need it.
Ronan O'DonnellMar 1 2012, 8:00pmAn 8.30am start would be great and will be at johnnie foxes from about 8am so for registration.
Ronan
Alan AylingMar 2 2012, 4:46pmRoute clarification please: leaving the boardwalks just below the JB Malone Memorial, upon entry to what was the first bit of Ballinastoe Wood but is now a felled wasteland, the route always turned left, then right after a couple of hundred metres, to reach the fire road - now there is a new section of track leading straight on through the felled section to the fire road. Are we to use the old or the new, or is there a choice? (Not sure which way the official WW is now routed).

Thanks,
Alan
Dermot MurphyMar 2 2012, 7:51pmAlan, we will probably have this section marked on the day of the race. I haven't seen the new section yet so can't comment on it, but doesn't sound like too much of a difference anyway.
Ronan O'DonnellMar 4 2012, 8:49pmDoes anyone have the route on a garmin link as it might help on the day for the navigation as don't fancy wandering around the wicklow all day.
Thanks
Greg ByrneMar 4 2012, 11:50pmRonan, if you're not sure of the route the best plan would be to get out and have run over the sections that you're not sure of; on the day many things can happen, including GPS failure, be it battery, loss of signal or other unexpected event. In something as long as the ultra it really can help to know the terrain and to know how hard you can push at the various points. I certainly find that I end up running from landmark to landmark, shortening my goals to take my mind off the distance to the finish.
stephen collerMar 5 2012, 9:30amim not sure of the last section off the board walk so if anyone is keen for a recce there this week drop me a text....0863982516
Eddie DalyMar 8 2012, 3:53pmLast long run done on the course this morning, conditions were really good, maybe a little blustery on the boardwalk. Brendan Lawlor joined me for the hour. Ran from Ballinastoe.
Th ground is perfect underfoot at the moment, hopefully it will stay this way for next 2/52.

I think the change at the end of the boardwalk that Alan referred to should not be included in the race and it should stick with last years route. I think most people would follow last year's route as that is the direction that the Wicklow Way is signposted and otherwise it would need to be strictly marshalled in 2 places to ensure compliance. Following the new track would add approx 300m in either direction (pure guesswork here!).
Eddie DalyMar 8 2012, 3:55pmShould have said Brendan joined me for the 1st hour!
donnacha cassidyMar 9 2012, 3:51pmhi, i'm new to this race. Where is the race start and how do i register? do i just show up that morning and register? help much appreciated
Craig HanelaMar 9 2012, 11:47pmWhat is the expected number of runners for this race? I was looking for a race in Ireland for the last month while planning my trip and I'm glad I see this, too bad I'm already in route. Oh well I can buy some more gear if needed. I have the basics with me.

Definitely looking forward to hearing more detail on the location of the start as I have never been to Ireland before and will need to figure out how to get there and back to Dublin the next morning for my flight home.

It sounds like a challenging race!

Craig
Dermot MurphyMar 10 2012, 7:49amStart is at Johnnie Foxes in Glencullen (see map).

Public transport - I had a look at the Dublin bus timetable and according to that, the 44b leaves Dundrum at 7:25am for Glencullen - this would get you to the start in plenty of time. If you are staying around the city center, you can get the Luas line out to Dundrum.

The Dublin bus site says that the 44b normally starts at Dundrum Luas station, but leaves from Eglington Road on Saturdays - does anyone know were this is? I can see an Eglington Terrace in Dundrum but not Eglington Road - does anyone know where the 44b leaves from on Saturday mornings? Can anyone confirm how reliable this service is?
Donal TroddynMar 10 2012, 11:43amEglington Road is in Donnybrook, very close to the Dublin Bus Depot there.
Mick HanneyMar 10 2012, 12:19pmCraig, Event details for previous years can be seen from main page. Click Events and Previous Years. For instance, 2011 is here: http://www.imra.ie/events/view/tab/results/id/823/
Nearly 60 runners finished it last year. You should see photos and race reports from previous years too.
Dermot MurphyMar 10 2012, 3:31pmThanks Donal. So if you get to the Dundrum Luas stop for 7:25am, bus should arrive about 10 minutes later. Anyone use this bus in prior years? Is it reliable?
Christian NachtigallMar 11 2012, 10:06amDoes anyone know if there is a B&B nearby Jonny Foxes? I coming from Belfast for the race.
Liam CostelloMar 11 2012, 10:17amHi - May seems a stupid questions but how much more difficult is trail than road over distances like this. I would love to do this but will be doing Connemara ultra the following week and don't want to over do it. Thanks. Liam. I have not done any mountain running before.
Richard CroninMar 12 2012, 12:35pmI'd say trail is easier on the legs than road (softer underfoot). The only difference is that trail gradients will reduce you to a power walk very quickly as they are much steeper. The gradients might take it out of your quads (says he who has never run in the wicklow mountains before). It depends whether you want to race or use it as a training run.
Caroline ReidMar 12 2012, 1:36pmLiam it might be a bit close to Connemara when you haven't done any mountain running before.
Colm HillMar 12 2012, 1:36pmHi Liam,

If you run the Wicklow Ultra the week before the Conn Ultra, it is very unlikely you will run well at Conn.
A 50km run the week before the race you have being aiming for wouldn't appear at first glance to be the best idea anyways.

You say you have never run in mountains before - if you ran the WWU, your legs would be sore for the next few days. Your legs wouldn't be used to being loaded eccentrically on the descents. After the first race of the year, a lot of mountain runners would be a little bit tender. Having not exposed your legs to hard eccentrically loading - I reckon you could be crippled.

I would say it would be a very bad idea.
Paul TierneyMar 12 2012, 2:26pmLike Colm and Caroline said it's probably a little too close if Connemara is your goal race. However having run both, I would say The WW ultra is a way, way,way, way, way, waaaay better race and you will be automatically hooked on the trails if you do it. Just my rather biased opinion. Throw caution to the wind and do it. I guarantee you won't regret it when you are looking down on lough Tay from the foot of Djouce..... Until the following Sunday when you have to run another 39 miles but life's too short to worry about little things like that :)
Richard CroninMar 12 2012, 2:55pmI've only run once off-road - a 40m Scottish ultra called the River Ayr Way Challenge. I only had Cork City to run around in training but it didn't matter on the day. I do about 95% of my running on the road (or even more) but I would say the off-road stuff is like somoking heroin comapred to the alco-pops of road running. Very addictive.
Liam CostelloMar 12 2012, 5:36pmThanks for all the mixed advice. I think it will be a decision made on the morning on the race. Love the idea of being up in the mountains, not so keen on the ide of being crippled half way through Connemara ultra. Pity they are so close. Cheers - Liam.
Laurence ColleranMar 14 2012, 12:48pmI'm trying to figure out how much water to carry for this event. I've seen from the 2011 photos that there's at least 1 water stop (Curtlestown I think). Is this the only water point or are there others?
Dermot MurphyMar 14 2012, 12:54pmThere are 3 checkpoints, with 2 you will meet twice - Curtlestown and Crone Wood. The other checkpoint is at Ballinastoe. There will be water at Crone Wood and Ballinstoe, Curtlestown will be dependent on volunteers on the day. Curtlestown will unlikely to have water on the way out regardless, only on the way back.
James ClancyMar 14 2012, 5:04pmHi Dermot, Thanks a mil for all the details. Would it be possible to let me know the distances at each of the water station, not looking for accuracy, rough estimates is all good for me. Also I am presuming there is a cut off of 9.00am or so for the ultra reg? Thank you in advance. James
Brendan PollardMar 14 2012, 9:41pmhi Folks,

Would love to do the Ultra but weary. Been running over howth for last couple of weeks training. last 4 weeks running each weekend between 16 miles in 2hr 40 min and 17.5 miles in 2hr55min.... My worry is quite tired at the end of training runs.

I suppose my question is how should I expect to feel at the halfway point in this race? I know to expect it to be hard graft on way back but wonder after training sessions whether I would have energy\strength to complete. Sunday gone at 14 miles had lull and was quite tired but got burst of energy and ran out the last 2 miles in 19 minutes.

Appreciate any advice. In all honesty feel I would rather fail at ultra than complete trail in good time.

thanks,

Bren

Dermot MurphyMar 14 2012, 10:21pmJames, the only one I know for sure is Curtlestown to Crone Wood, which is 5k. At a guess, I would say 8k from Johnnie Foxes to Curtlestown and 12k from Crone to Ballinastoe (that makes up the 50k anyway!).
Lindie NaughtonMar 15 2012, 1:29pmDermot: to confirm - available all day for WW Trail/Ultra, so just give me my orders.
Dermot MurphyMar 15 2012, 1:44pmRegarding volunteers - I still need a turn around marshal at Ballinastoe, a marshal at Curtlestown and some help with the finish.

Thanks Lindie, which of the above would suit you the best?
James ClancyMar 15 2012, 6:45pmThanks a million Dermot. James
Jean O'NeillMar 15 2012, 8:03pmCraig Hanela and Christian Nachtigall, I live in Swords beside Dublin Airport. I have spare rooms in my house and you would be welcome to stay and I could take you to the starting point next day, and back again if required. Mobile no is 086, 0 fifty five, ninetyfive 09.
Jean O'NeillMar 15 2012, 8:05pmDermot I am happy to volunteer wherever you want me-perhaps Chrtlestown, or the finish?
Dermot MurphyMar 15 2012, 9:19pmCheers Jean. Could I put you down for Curtlestown?
Jean O'NeillMar 17 2012, 8:28pmCurtlestown is fine. Let me know details nearer the date.
Elise FaloneMar 18 2012, 2:42amI'm just fascinated by Wicklow Ultra, Wicklow Way, Wicklow Round after reading Moire O'Sullivan's book 'Mud, Sweat, and Tears' (moireosullivan.com). Anyone else read this? I wonder what runners more familiar with the Wicklow than I am think?
Tamas FarkasMar 18 2012, 9:19pmHi! Could anyone give me a lift from Dublin city to the race? I wouldn't want to rely on Dublin bus' (very!) infrequent Saturday service.
Elise, I too read Moire's book and I too am fascinated! I chatted with her a bit at her book signing last year, she is not only tough but lovely as well.
Bernard SheridanMar 18 2012, 9:39pmHi there,

I'm interested in running this race and have a question on the elevation. It says it is 1940m. Does that mean that is the highest point or is the total elevation gain?

My first ultra that I ran in California was around 1800 feet at its highest point, but had 6700 feet total elevation gain. http://www.coastaltrailruns.com/mm_montara_mountain.html

Bernard.
Mick HanneyMar 18 2012, 9:49pmBernard, thats total gain over the race roughly split in half between the out and back sections.
Fred HamondMar 19 2012, 12:19amHere's my Garmin route from 2010 which shows distances and elevations.
Fred HamondMar 19 2012, 12:21amThe Garmin link is http://connect.garmin.com/activity/28385453
Bernard SheridanMar 19 2012, 10:22amExcellent - that seems a bit more do-able! Thanks
Denise MathersMar 19 2012, 8:30pmHi Dermot,
Looking forward to the weekend and I'm sure you are up to your eyes with last minute organisation. But last year at the end of the race I left behind a yellow OMM bum bag - I did manage to track it down but never did manage to get an appropriate race to get it back. I was wondering if there would be any possiblity of it turning up at this years race so that I could be reunited with it. Richard Nunan may know something about it. If this is too much trouble don't worry about it I just thought I would mention it on the forum before Saturday. Hope the weather holds up for the weekend!! See you then

Richard NunanMar 19 2012, 8:47pmHi Denise,

Hope to reunite you with your bag this weekend, I should see you before race start.

Richard
Christian NachtigallMar 19 2012, 11:40pmJean O'Neill - Thanks for the invite. That's very kind of you, but I've sorted accommodation out. See you there anyway.
Christian NachtigallMar 19 2012, 11:48pmHey guys...
What about the drop bag for Ballinastoe? Last year we could leave a drop bag at the registration that was taken to Ballinastoe by the organisers.
Does anyone know if that is happening for this year's race?
Thanks!
dave evansMar 20 2012, 9:08amHi there, coming down with some members of BARF Belfast to do the ultra. Its my first one. Can I ask about drop bags, at what points in the race will tney be located
Dermot MurphyMar 20 2012, 9:26amDave, there will bags/bottles dropped at Crone wood and Ballinstoe (half way point). We should be able to get the bags/bottles dropped at Crone wood for the outward leg.

Please make sure your bag/bottle is clearly marked with your name. If possible, make sure the bag is disposable, as I am not sure you would be able to get it back at the finish.
Raymond BuchanMar 20 2012, 10:54amMay I make one small request to the race team. Last year I was approaching the half way spot on the Ultra about fives minutes after the Trail had started. With such a big field for the Trail race the forest road was pretty full and some, not the majority, of Trail runners were not too keen to provide room for us to run down the road. If they could be reminded we shall be running down when they are 'sprinting' away at the start of their race that would be great?
Dermot MurphyMar 20 2012, 11:05amHi Raymond, will do. The trail runners were told of this last year, sorry to hear that some did not oblige.
raymond buchanMar 20 2012, 12:13pmThanks very much. Looking forward to Saturday.
dave evansMar 20 2012, 12:26pmdermot, thanks for that

At what point is Crone wood on the way out / back in?
Jeremy SuttonMar 20 2012, 5:00pmHi, looking forward to the race next week. Can you confirm: is the mid way drop off point only for food, and disposables? ie. the bag will not be returned at the end. Just making sure, so I don't leave spare shoes etc with drop bag.
Dermot MurphyMar 20 2012, 9:39pmDave, Crone wood is about 12 to 13k from Johnnie Foxes, so approximately 1/4 of race on the way out and 3/4 into the race on the way back.

Jeremy, yes food and drink only, as anything left at the checkpoints will be disposed of.
Dermot MurphyMar 20 2012, 9:52pmA couple of general points for Saturday:

1) Headphones are not allowed at any IMRA race.

2) Parking - Please use the overflow car park a short distance up from Johnnie Foxes pub, NOT the car park beside JF's pub, which is to be left for their regular customers. If the overflow car park is full, there is additional parking up at the church, a short distance up from the overflow car park. Please do not park at the GAA club, at the finish, as there is a junior game on there at midday. That game will be over by the time people start to finish the race (after 1:30pm), and we have permission to use it then. Please use the car park here, if you want to drive up to the finish.

3) Litter - Please do not drop litter along the route - anyone caught littering will be disqualified. Please either keep any litter until you finish, or leave at the checkpoints at Crone Wood, Ballinastoe and Curtlestown.

4) If you get into any difficulties, please note there is an emergency phone number at the back of your race number.
Niall O,LoughlinMar 20 2012, 10:01pmHi there My self and a friend are doing Wicklow Way Ultra this weekend, was wondreing is it possable to have some supplys(extre drink powerbars bannana,s etc) brought to the turnaround at balinastoe, or do we have to carry all our gear the full distance? thanks see you all Saturday
Niall
Johan DehantschutterMar 20 2012, 10:29pmProbably a bit late to ask this question but nevertheless, out of interest, what kind of food are people thinking of ingesting at the half way mark or at any time during this type of event?
Dermot MurphyMar 21 2012, 6:26amNiall, yes - see above.
Denise MathersMar 21 2012, 12:07pmHi Richard,

Thanks for info regarding my bumbag and will look forward to being reunited with it on Sat!!

See you then
Jeff FitzsimonsMar 21 2012, 12:43pmAny chance of me picking up a copy of the yearbook when registering for the ultra?
Ronan O'DonnellMar 21 2012, 1:17pmIs there anything for finishing?, a medal? or just a sense of satisfaction...
Dermot MurphyMar 21 2012, 1:34pmJeff - will have some copies of the yearbook alright.

Ronan - Yes - a Wicklow Way mug (similar to prior years) which you can pick up, complete with a sense of satisfaction, at the finish!
Jeff FitzsimonsMar 21 2012, 2:34pmThat's great Dermot, thanks.
Ronan O'DonnellMar 21 2012, 3:49pmcool, i hope the early start is still on as am planning to be there for 8 to register and get running/walking/crawling.
Ronan O'DonnellMar 21 2012, 3:49pmcool, i hope the early start is still on as am planning to be there for 8 to register and get running/walking/crawling.
Richard NunanMar 21 2012, 5:09pmIs that something to read along the way Jeff !!!!?
Tamas FarkasMar 21 2012, 6:21pmIsn't there anyone who would be willing to give me a lift from Dublin city? I know about the public transport option, but even the luas runs infrequently and sometimes unreliably on saturday, let alone dublin bus. As for coming back from glencullen, there is ONE bus that leaves at 14:05 and it seems pretty darn impossible to be done and over with the race by that time. I will definitely need a lift back to Dublin.
C'mon people, I deserve a little help! Last year I volunteered five times, all non-running.
Dermot MurphyMar 22 2012, 11:05amEarly starts - there will be two times slots available for an early start for the Ultra - 8:30am and 9am. Please make sure you are registered on time. Please do not start at a time outside of these two time slots - there will be a race briefing and I want to ensure that everyone hears it before they start out.
Richard NunanMar 22 2012, 11:13am

Just a comment on Food - Drinks for the Ultra.

Its better that you turn up with your food in two separate drop bags clearly identifiable by your self. These should be labeled
1.) Crone
2.) Ballinastoe

Crone is 12km going out or 38km on way back.
Ballinastoe is the halfway mark.

Tim ChapmanMar 22 2012, 3:17pmTamas Farkas, there is 2 of us going from monkstown. we could pick you up at the dart station and drop you back off if that helps.
Tim
dave evansMar 22 2012, 3:35pmdermot - how much is the race so that i know what to lift out when i cross the border?

also as regards the section of the course that someone posted about a while back

'Route clarification please: leaving the boardwalks just below the JB Malone Memorial, upon entry to what was the first bit of Ballinastoe Wood but is now a felled wasteland, the route always turned left, then right after a couple of hundred metres, to reach the fire road - now there is a new section of track leading straight on through the felled section to the fire road. Are we to use the old or the new, or is there a choice? (Not sure which way the official WW is now routed)'.

is this section going to be marked?
Dermot MurphyMar 22 2012, 4:16pmDave, entry fee is €15. If you need to register for the year (ie not a member of IMRA), the registration fee is €10 extra. However, 2012 NIRMA members do not need to pay the registration fee.

If anyone needs to register on the day, please print out a form and fill it in. This includes people who have previously run for IMRA before (we will not be using the lap top at registration).

The section were you lease the Wicklow Way will be marked and marshalled.

Paul TierneyMar 22 2012, 4:21pmDave,
The official WW route is still going left as opposed to straight through the new track, and having ran it last week, I dont think there is any need or reason to change it.

Dermot,
It might also be worth mentioning another ambiguous section at the pre race briefing. As the route climbs through Crone on the outbound section and nears the lookout point for Powerscourt waterfall, the official route cuts back right on the fireroad. As you climb here there is a narrow steep shortcut up a rocky slope to the lookout point. This is not the official WW route, which stays on the fireroad. There were one or 2 people that I could see, who took this shortcut (inadvertently I'm sure). It would definately save a little time and could perhaps do with mentioning.
Tamas FarkasMar 22 2012, 6:24pmTim, that would be perfect and greatly appreciated. What time shall I be there? Drop me a line 0872348903. Thanks again!
Vivian O'GormanMar 22 2012, 10:40pmDave that part of the course will be marked by me. As Paul Tierney has said when you come down off the boardwalk you turn left and follow the path to the forest road. I will be staying there so you shouldn't have a problem.
SUZY CarsonMar 23 2012, 12:32pmDermot

I will be coming down in the morning from Newcastle,Co Down I plan to be there just before 9am hopefully

As time is tight,can I pre-enter or could you put my name down ?

Suzy

PS Denise grateful if you contact me at suzcarson@googlemail.com
Dermot MurphyMar 23 2012, 12:37pmSuzy, I cannot pre entry anyone, as I need to sure people turn up on the morning. This is a safety issue. If you can make it for 9am, you should be in plenty of time. If you are late, we will see what we can sort out for you.
Liam CostelloMar 24 2012, 5:47pmHi Dermot - thanks a million for todays race. Cant believe I didn't find this type of runnnig before now. It is a so much better than running on roads. Most enjoyable race that I have done - legs feel ok - must have been all that walking I did up the hills. Connemara is going to pale in comparison.
Paul TierneyMar 24 2012, 6:27pmLiam, I told you so!!!! You're hooked now

Dermot and co., Thanks a million.....great, great event made great by yourselves

Paul

Raymond BuchanMar 24 2012, 8:47pmCongrats to organisors and massive thanks to the volunteers. Great race, tough but great.
Brendan PollardMar 24 2012, 9:01pmAmazing Race - Absolutely wrecked. Wish could say legs are okay but there not haha.

On side note I found a 2011 marathon top in bushes at end of race. I left on gate entrance to car park - but no one picked up. I was one of the last to leave and it was still there so brought home

if you own it and want it send me ur address by email bpollard72@yahoo.co.uk or text 0868178757 and I can send on.

Bren
Mick HanneyMar 25 2012, 5:25pmA small suggestion. It would be great to be able to distinguish the ultra race runners from the trail race runners. A different colour number and/or a 2nd number on their back. I would have been more encouraging of runners I was passing if I knew they were ultras. This would benefit any photos taken as it should be more obvious who was running the longer race.
Dermot MurphyMar 25 2012, 6:38pmResults for the Trail and Ultra are now up. Please look over them carefully to see that your result was accurately recorded - we were operating manual results and with two sets of results to compile, plus adjustments for early starters, its quite possible a couple of results were recorded incorrectly. Well done to the winners - David and Caroline in the Ultra and Ian and Catherine in the Trail, and well done to all for taking part.

Many thanks to all who helped out on the day - Mick for organising the buses - which we can all agree worked out great, our water marshals at Curtlestown (Jean, Peter & kids!) Crone Wood (Mary and John) and Ballinstoe (Lindie & Kevin) with Vivian marshaling at Lough Tay. Thanks also to those who helped out with parking and registration at the start - Barry, John, Richard, Martin, Greg (plus a few others!) and also at the finish - Barry again, Eoin, Lindie and Sean. Thanks also to anyone else who helped out on the day - its a long day for both the runners and volunteers, but it helped that it was such a nice day.

Littering - I did not hear a bad reports so hopefully this was improved from last year, the point was certainly underlined at the start. If anyone noticed any littering along the route, please let me know (you can send me an email if you do not wish to reply on the forum).

Sinead's point on the loo's - this point was also made last year and considered carefully. It was felt that cost would exceed the benefit of them. But I think it can be looked at again. Any arrangements for Loo's at Johnny Foxes would need to be made in conjunction with the pub. Anyone know when they were open? Did they let the runners use the facilities? I certainly approach them before next years race and see if a solution can be found. At Ballinstoe, does anyone reading this regularly use the MTB tracks? Are they any plans with the MTBer's to set up loo's? Perhaps with could come up with a joint arrangement with them if they were to hold an event later on in the same day, and share the costs of the loo's for the day. Anyone think something along those lines would be possible?
Dave EvansMar 25 2012, 7:07pmDermot, thanks to you and the rest of your team for organising such a great race. That was my first ultra and i thoroughly enjoyed it. As regards my time, it says on the results that it was 6:46 but i distinctly remember being told at the end by the recorder that it was 6:41 and i remember seeing the watch on the table which said this.
Dermot MurphyMar 25 2012, 7:47pmDave, will change that, I misread it from the results page. Will change later in the week - will see if there are any other changes required and put them all through together.
Michelle GranaghenMar 25 2012, 10:56pmHi,

Just to let you know I have posted some photos in the Trail section, I did not want to double them up!

Well done to all.

Michelle
dave evansMar 26 2012, 8:34amthanks again for organising such a great race
Jason KehoeMar 26 2012, 9:01amNew photos under trail event taken at the farmyard. I would have separated them all out if there was a way to distinguish Ultra runners. It might be a a useful thing to do for future races so you know who is and isn't your competition. Well done all!

Thanks,
Jason
Zoran SkrbaMar 26 2012, 9:34amGreat event! Thanks to Dermot and all who helped out!

Special thanks to Sinead Fitzgibbon for giving me some electrolyte tabs on top of Knockree, after I was stopped by a bad cramp, and Adrian Burns for giving me some water.

Well done to all.
Dermot MathersMar 26 2012, 9:34amMorning Guys,

Checking the results and my number 746 says I did not finish!!!!???????
Can someone please get this amended - My time was around 5hrs.40 or so. A German fella ( It think ) crossed the line with me but he was a 9'O'Clock start and Dr Eddie Daly just finished after me who ran with me for the majority of the race -

Thanks
Dermot
Lindie NaughtonMar 26 2012, 10:19amSome pics of ultra turn-around at Ballinastoe at www.lindie.zenfolio.com, plus a few more of start and finish.
Barry MurayMar 26 2012, 12:26pm
Brilliant race and day out, well done all, here's a video of the start

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuWoXYPeT3U
Jeremy SuttonMar 26 2012, 1:15pmThanks to all the organisers, a great event, I really enjoyed it. Great photos Lindie, appreciate the handing over the mug shot. Cheers
Jeff FitzsimonsMar 26 2012, 2:29pmThanks to all involved in putting Saturday's race together. It was a great day out, even if the weather tried it's best to turn us all into sundried ultra runners.

I just have a word on value for money. Drop bags(the contents of which were there on your arrival at the support point!), a novel and useful race momento, cheery support around the route and pretty smooth organisation. If there's a better value ultra in Ireland I'd be amazed. There certainly can't be a cheaper one. To paraphrase Andy Gray, take a bow IMRA.
James ClancyMar 26 2012, 3:03pmFantastic event, really enjoyable. Thanks Dermot and all support staff through out the course.

James

Raymond BuchanMar 26 2012, 3:52pmJust wondering if there is anybody else planning to run the Highland Fling in April. I know Dale and Denise are. Anybody else? If so will see you in the car park at the train station ready for Tyndrum!

The Ultra this weekend was a perfect training run for it.
Paul TierneyMar 26 2012, 7:34pmRaymond - fellow cork man Robbie Williams is running the fling. He will be glad to hook up with ye and wreck ye're heads for 53 miles, won't ya Rob? ;)
Alan AylingMar 26 2012, 11:56pmGutted to have missed this, but wasn't well enough. Sounds like a cracking day was had.
Denise MathersMar 27 2012, 10:20amJust a big thank you to all who helped out on Saturday - it was a great day and as always it does not get any easier. As Raymond has said a great event as part of the build up to the Highland Fling - however I must say this would be a more challenging route than the Fling.

Also thanks to Richard for returning my bumbag from last year - didn't fancy the snickers bar which was still in it!!! Managed to take everything home with me this time!!!

Hope to see some of you up in the Mournes soon for the Slieve Donard race.

Jeff FitzsimonsMar 27 2012, 2:27pmI threw an ultra long report together on the race event page for those who feel like suffering through it from my perspective.
Dermot MurphyMar 28 2012, 5:33amResults now updated - any others changes, please let me know before Friday.
Eddie DalyMar 30 2012, 7:56amHi Dermot

As said by others above thanks for a fantastic event. It was a great atmosphere on the day with a real camaraderie among runners and race officials.

One thing you might be able to help me with. My result shows my name as Eddie Daly67 instead of Eddie Daly. It's not a major issue but it means that I now have 2 identities and cannot look at all my results and stats etc on one page. Is it possible to change this back to Eddie Daly.

Also regarding littering, I did see a little bit in the field after Crone on the return leg. I can't be sure if it was from IMRA runners or not.

Thanks again for a great day!
Dermot MurphyMar 30 2012, 8:55amEddie, will try to fix that over the weekend. A couple of other people had the same issue, which was caused at registration when I could not find your correct profile.

On the littering - was this beside the river? This is a popular camping spot, and unfortunately is prone to general littering, but hopefully none of the runners last weekend contributed to it.
Ken CowleyMar 30 2012, 10:19amThat area beside the river is unbelievable - beercans, food, burnt out fires - we can be a filthy country at times. I've heard that spot is used for Raves too (anybody remember raves?!). IMRA runners are very good at not littering, in my experience..
Johan DehantschutterMay 11 2012, 10:39amRace report up. Better late than never :-)
Justin MaxwellNov 1 2012, 12:31pmHi - Just wondering if a date has been set for the 2013 event? Sounds like a great run :)
richard nunanNov 1 2012, 1:58pmDate will be released end of November by the incoming Committee.
Justin MaxwellNov 5 2012, 9:11pmThanks Richard