Irish Mountain
Running Association

Stone Cross to Lug Relay

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
robbie williamsJun 23 2011, 7:08amHi im wondering is this a defo date for stone x to lug-- just as its the same weekend as mangerton,

Is this right??? pity to miss one on account of the other

thanks

robbie williams
Colm HillJun 23 2011, 10:46amIt also clashes with the World O Champs . . .
Paul TierneyJun 23 2011, 2:27pmRobbie, man up and do them both!!! :)
Paul O'GradyJul 12 2011, 12:37amThis years Stones Cross also clashes with Gael Force West and the annual Adidas Race Series 10 Mile Run in the Phoenix Park - both popular events with IMRA Members.

I know the responses to this will be that we shouldn’t organise our calendar around other people's events - but this seems to be a particularly busy weekend already - and surely our objective should be to have as many runners as possible running the races.
Sean Ó MurchúJul 12 2011, 1:46amFrom talk on Boards, I know that two teams are already in the making.
I heard a rumor that Ocnoc has recced all 3 legs already.
Philip BrennanJul 21 2011, 8:44pmAs RD of this race I am flexible enough on dates. I consider this to be one of the premier mountain races and a fantastic relay race and obviously want as many teams as possible entering.Therefore if we can choose a date which doesn't clash with so many other fixtures and we can slot it into the IMRA calender I am happy to do this. Suggested alternative date which would suit me is 27th August.
robbie williamsJul 28 2011, 7:04amthe 27th sounds cool
diarmuid O'ColmainJul 28 2011, 9:26amI know it is impossible to avoid conflicts, but..... 27th August is day of Slieve Donard Irish championship race!
Mick HanneyJul 28 2011, 9:58am27th is the day after the warriors run that a few imra guys usually do. That said, any date is going to bring about some clash so its all about the individual making their own decision.
Jeff FitzsimonsJul 28 2011, 12:02pmIt's getting quite late in the day for a date change. It would be very helpful from my point of view to have a final decision made on the date so that I can plan accordingly. Cheers.
Melanie WalshJul 28 2011, 8:08pmJust in case you are not aware yet, there will be a Temporary Closure of a section of Ballinascorney Upper Road in August, from 2nd to 31st. My Dad just pointed this out to me today, it is the route we would normally take to Stone Cross. Further details on: http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=939&pid=21458. And map on: http://www.sdublincoco.ie/images/roads/Road%20%20Closures%20Ballinscorney%20Upper%20Road27102010.pdf.
Tks,
Melanie.
Melanie WalshJul 28 2011, 10:11pmRe above note: apologies, looks like the sdcc 2011 notice had a link to a 2010 map. I believe but cannot confirm (my internet connection to slow to download) that this is the correct map (http://www.sdublincoco.ie/images/roads/Road%20%20Closures%20BALLINASCORNEY2%2014072011.pdf) and route open from Old Bawn but blocked from Brittas.
Thanks, Melanie.
Paul JoyceJul 29 2011, 9:57amThe make up of our team will be determined by who is available for the race. At the moment we're working off the date from the IMRA calendar, Aug 20th. Given that recce's and logistics will be important for this relay, it's pretty important for team planning that this date be confirmed or confirmed changed ASAP.

I fully appreciate the RD wants to be as helpful and accommodating to suit as many teams as possible (it would be great if we could replicate the rivalry from the WWRelay), but teams need to know what date they are planning for...
Philip BrennanJul 31 2011, 8:16pmIt looks like every weekend has some event or other taking place, I think we may as well stick with the original date -August 20th. I would ask all potential team captains to email me at philip@pmbrennan dot ie and I will send them an entry form. Thanks
Philip BrennanAug 10 2011, 7:10pmSo far I have the grand total of one entry for this race, if anyone else is putting a team in please get your entry form in, the race will not take place unless we get a reasonable number of teams.
Paul JoyceAug 15 2011, 10:30amUnfortunately our team from Boards has imploded, so I'm available if anyone is seeking a mid-pack leg 3 runner. joyceart dot gmail dot com, I've done all the recces etc.

Warning! I got lost coming off Lug last year and cost our team second place, so caveat emptor :)
Jonathan McCloyAug 16 2011, 8:06amPaul, I would like to have a go at leg 2. I've only covered this ground once before, but I can navigate. Maybe we could get a leg 1 runner? My email is jmccloy86 "at" gmail.com but I won't pick up emails until thisevening.
Paul JoyceAug 16 2011, 9:25am
Thanks Jonathan, it would be great to have you do leg 2. I'll know later today what the situation is with a leg 1 runner, and will get back to you then.
Gavan DohertyAug 16 2011, 9:31amjonathan/paul - i'm up for leg 1 (sent you both an email).
Paul JoyceAug 16 2011, 10:02am
Great stuff guys, that will be our team- Gavan leg 1, Jonathan leg 2, yours truly leg 3. I've emailed you both looking for info needed to enter.
Philip BrennanAug 17 2011, 8:19amJust a reminder that today is the last day for entry for the Lug Relay. So far I have four teams entered (Setanta, CNOC, Boards & DFO) which is a pretty poor show indeed. Where are the rest of ye???

If I don't get at least half a dozen teams entered I see no point in running the event with such poor support. It is a great race & really should take place but we need more teams so come on, get out there & put your teams together.
Philip BrennanAug 18 2011, 8:45amUnfortunately (and with a heavy heart) I am cancelling this race due to lack of support. With such a small number of teams there really is no point in hosting it. If there is sufficient interest again later in the year and a slot in the calender we can look at it again.Apologies to the teams who entered but hopefully we can ressurect it again before the end of the season.
Pól Ó MurchúAug 18 2011, 11:25amA real pity. It's such a great race. Unfortunately there are a lot of clashes with fixtures at the minute. It seems every week for the next 3 or 4 weeks there are at least 2 races on. Just that time of year I guess but maybe there will be a window in about a month? Would love to ahve another shot at it myself. Really enjoyed it last year.
Colm HillAug 18 2011, 1:15pmThanks Philip for going to the effort of trying to get this race off the ground again this year.

Its a pity that the only mountain relay is not supported by the general IMRA membership.
It was my first IMRA race and since then, off road mountain running has become a dangerous addictive narcotic - the ability to run and train off trail opens up an entire world of mountains that most people will never see.

The navigation in Stone Cross isn't all that difficult - its the same as a Championship race. Its just running from peak to peak. The terrain isn't all that technical either, no rocks, just bog standard Wicklow heather in some places.

Hopefully it will get a second chance to be run later in the year.

Colm
Paul O'GradyAug 18 2011, 2:27pmSad to see this race being taken off the calendar.

It was my first go at navigation 4 years ago - and with a really basic compass and not taking any bearings - really basic stuff - just constantly orienteering the map to north and finding my way around - but I really really enjoyed it.

The problem is that this weekend is very busy. I've looked at other possible dates - as I know I could get a team together on another weekend - and so could others.

Next weekend is Slieve Donard. 4th Sept is Dublin peaks. Weekend of the 10th of September would be a possibility. Weekend of the 17th is the Dublin Half Marathon. Weekend of the 24th is WAR Powerscourt. Any weekend on from the 2nd October would be another possibility.

It would be a shame to let this great race die.

If Philip was to give us another chance later in the year then we would be able to put out more teams.

i completely agree with Colm - anyone who hasnt done this race yet should give it ago. It is one of the best IMRA races of the year - and if you dont have a team - just post on the forum and a team will find you!!
Stuart ScottAug 18 2011, 3:00pmThanks Philip for all the effort you put into organising it. Such a pity so few are around. I was hoping to put in a team again but suffered from clashes with other events and lack of recce time. At the same time, it wasn't fair on those who did keep the date free to change it either - but looks like there's no other option at this stage!

Could Sept 17th or 18th work? I know it clashes with the half marathon, but would there be that much of a cross-over? I'd say October is probably too late from a daylight, weather and safety point of view. Having said that, I'm still holding out hope for an Indian summer...

As (I think) everyone else has said, it'd be a shame for the race not to be run. But it would've been pointless with only 4 teams, so it was the right call!

Stuart.
Jonathan McCloyAug 18 2011, 4:02pmin a nutshell :(

Thanks for trying! Please don't put it on the 17/18th Sept, that's Mourne Mountain Marathon weekend. Thinking about it, maybe it wouldn't be bad to give the relay some advertisement at the MMM?
Paul JoyceAug 18 2011, 4:20pm
Thanks for all the effort you have put into this Philip. It's a shame there was not better interest. There's going to be clashes no matter what date is chosen, it's up to the IMRA membership to support a great team event like this. The fact that 150+ runners will turn out for a 7k trail loop, and only 12 people were willing to turn up for this open mountain relay, suggests to me something needs to be looked at, balance wise.

Its worth pointing out to anyone interested in running leg 3, Lough Firrib is the best place in the world for a post-recce swim, and affords the most magnificent view of Tonelagee while you are bathing. The path less travelled is always the better choice.
Stuart ScottAug 18 2011, 4:35pmGood point Jonathan! 24/25th then? There's always going to be clashes, but better to clash with the least-mountainy events if we can.

Paul, I completely agree. I wonder if a few recces were organised, would that help to shake off any navigation doubts that potential runners might have? It's a tough physical relay, but like Colm said, anyone capable of doing an IC race would manage it easily.
Gerry LalorAug 18 2011, 4:46pmSo why don't the 4 teams organise it themselves to race it, without the aid of an offical race director? It is not just mainly team logistics anyway?
Kevin O'RiordanAug 18 2011, 4:51pmIt's not much of a race if you've only 3 people to race against (hence Phillip's decision to call it off).

What might be workable maybe is if we pick one leg (say leg 2 or 3) and all 12 entrants+whoever else wants to turn up do a mass start and race that leg. At least you'd get some semblance of a race atmosphere that way.
Jim FitzharrisAug 18 2011, 4:52pmI have never done this event and would not have done it this year for various reasons. That said, I would love to try it sometime but I am a bit put off by (i) the navigation involved - badly need one of those great Paul Nolan courses ! and (ii) the feeling that it is intended only for the "heavy metal" IMRA runners.

I realise that it is not for the casual hill runner but as someone who has done a few Wicklow Trail races, Wicklow Adventure Race, triathlons, etc, I would like to think I could do it albeit not getting near the podium (which is not an ambition anyway).

It is a bit surprising that the Wicklow Way Relay is booked out very fast (200+ runners) and this event cannot attract enough people. Two very different events I appreciate but still ...

Cheers,

Jim.

Gareth LittleAug 19 2011, 8:46am
I must say I was really looking forward to this event but if there is not enough numbers that is fair enough and thanks has to go to Philip for giving it a shot. I guess August is a busy month for events!

I would love to be able to race this as part of an IMRA team relay event in early October if there was a free date??

Failing that, I think the current 12 runners + should organise something themselves whether it be an unofficial SC to Lug race or as Kevin said, either leg 2 or leg 3.
Brían O'MearaAug 19 2011, 9:46amI'd be interested in running leg 2 or 3 if it's organised unofficially.
Zoran SkrbaAug 19 2011, 10:38amthe WAR Powerscourt is on the 24 Sep, so prob better to hold it on the 1st weekend in October? (maybe the exclusivity of the WW relay makes it more popular? ;) - also it is all on trail)
Paul O'GradyAug 19 2011, 1:17pmIt seems that early October could be a runner (if you pardon the pun) and we would have enough light.

Philip - would you be prepared to give this race another chance in early October on whatever date suits you?

It would be a tragedy if this race died.
Philip BrennanAug 19 2011, 10:05pmSaturday 1st October might be a runner - let's see what sort of commitment we get from potential competitors....
Kevin O'RiordanAug 19 2011, 10:18pmOctober 1st isn't great for me (conflicts with Causeway coast marathon). The following three weekends are free from clashes as far as I know.
Kevin O'RiordanAug 19 2011, 10:36pmFYI.

Sunrise and Sunset times for October.

October 1st Sunrise 7:26, Sunset 19:03
October 8th Sunrise 7:31, Sunset 18:46
October 15 Sunrise 7:51, Sunset 18:30
October 22 Sunrise 8:04, Sunset 18:14

I think the longest time we've had a team out was 9hrs20mins. (With 9hrs46mins for an individual attempt). Probably doable through October with strict cut-offs/possible mass starts.
Gareth LittleAug 20 2011, 7:42pm
Any weekend in Oct bar the 22nd is good for me.
Pól Ó MurchúAug 26 2011, 9:39pmI think early October could be a very good time. I think august is a very busy time and I think a clash with the half marathon might rule out a good few. I did the 10 mile at the weekend and saw quite a few imra runners about. Although of course not all would do this race. Last year was my first time and really gave me the confidence (and the addiction) to do more navigatio type stuff. Let's see if we can get it going in October so.
Gareth LittleAug 27 2011, 1:57pm
Hi Philip, seems to be a bit of interest in an Oct sctl relay. What are your thoughts?

Rgds, Gareth
Philip BrennanAug 29 2011, 9:49pmThe only dates in October that I am available are 1st October (clashes with Causeway Coast race) & 22nd - this also clashes with some other event I think. If these dates are not acceptable perhaps someone else might be interested in organising on alternative dates?
Kevin O'RiordanAug 29 2011, 9:53pmI'm happy enough with both those dates if everyone else is.
Gareth LittleAug 29 2011, 10:33pm
1st is good for me.
Paul O'GradyAug 29 2011, 10:34pmBoth suit me too - but a preference for the 22nd if were taking a vote :-)
Colm HillAug 29 2011, 10:52pm22nd is the Senior Home Int. (National Squad Orienteering race in Wales)

Earlier date suits better.
Pól Ó MurchúAug 31 2011, 2:07pm1st would suit me best. 22nd might be a bit close to the marathon.
Philip BrennanAug 31 2011, 9:37pmOK, we will run with Saturday October 1st. In order to ensure this is a decent competitive race and to make it worthwhile running I will be looking for a minimum of 10 teams to enter so let everyone go out there and spread the gospel...

Email me at philip at pmbrennan dot ie for entry forms etc
Rachel CinnsealachAug 31 2011, 11:16pmHi Philip,

Would you consider doing mass starts for slower teams on leg two and three, or would that be too much effort to calculate results?

rach.
Philip BrennanSep 1 2011, 11:43amRach, will do everything I can to faciltate you....
Brendan LawlorSep 1 2011, 12:28pmIndividual runners interested in doing this event should post up here with their leg preference and contact details. Hopefully one or two additional teams can be formed this way - don't be shy!

And don't be put off - Brennan's tendency to route trickery is curtailed by the fact that you know the route in advance and can go out and recce your chosen leg

Also its not as tough as you think(unless it lashes rain!)
Brendan DelaneySep 1 2011, 2:13pmHi Philip,

you can't please all the people all the time.... 01/02 Oct is the Northern Ireland Orienteering Champs in Florencecourt. DFO probably won't be able to enter a team (and probably CNOC?).
Deirdre HassettSep 8 2011, 1:18pmHi there,
I am trail marathon training and looking for longer events to get out on trail.
Would it be possible to do this with only two relay legs - I would run two legs and relay partner to run the other leg?

I am a reasonable paced runner so would make the cutoff comfortably at the slower end of the field; at a training pace.

Deirdre
Philip BrennanSep 8 2011, 9:25pmHi Deirdre, I am not sure if you are familiar with this race but it could not be described as a "trail race". It is almost all open mountain running - over heather & bog with very few paths. The ability to navigate is also required as the route is entirely unmarked and you could find yourself running alone for much of the race. If you are happy that you would be confident with these conditions let me know & we will see if we can link you up with a team-mate.
Peter O'FarrellSep 8 2011, 10:17pmHi Deirdre,

The Dublin Mountains Explorer Bus might be a useful option.
http://www.dublinmountains.ie/transport/transport/

Another option is to run the Wicklow Way from Marlay Park to Crone Wood but then leave the WW and follow the road back to Enniskerry and take the bus back.

You could also take the St. Kevin's Bed bus to Glendolough and follow the Wicklow Way trail back towards Dublin.

Easier than all of the above is to convince someone to cardrop with you and do legs of the WWR maybe?

cheers,
peter
Sarah SteerSep 9 2011, 2:55pmRe Peter's last post:
The Dublin Mountaineer Bus service has finished up for this year, but the Dublin Mountains Way is accessible from the Luas/ bus in Tallaght and the Dart/ bus in Shankill. Route maps available here: http://www.dublinmountains.ie/dublin_mountains_way/dublin_mountains_way/
Sarah
Barry TennysonSep 13 2011, 11:33amIn reply to Brendan Lawlor's last posting, I hereby state my preferences for Leg 1,2 or 3, in that order, in the hope of forming a team for October 1. I look forward to hearing from 2 other hopefuls. Barry 087 2551 489
Donal TroddynSep 18 2011, 2:28pmHi, Philip. Could you give me an idea of cut-off times?

Thanks, Dónal
Philip BrennanSep 19 2011, 8:33amCut off times as follows:

Leg 1 to be completed by 11am
Leg 2 to be completed by 2.30pm
Leg 3 - 6pm

At this stage I have less than 5 teams entered so unless I get a surge in entries this week the event will not proceed.

Philip
catherine halpinSep 19 2011, 2:43pmHi, i'd like to enter a team - myself, pete barron and fergal o mahoney.

cheers

Catherine.
Philip BrennanSep 19 2011, 9:53pmCatherine, if you let me have your email address I will send you an application form.

Philip
Aidan BligheSep 19 2011, 11:57pmHi Philip,
Can you send me a form too. aidanblighe@yahoo.com
Thanks
Barry TennysonSep 20 2011, 4:14pmHi Philip.... thank you for arranging this. Please send me a form as I would like to enter a team.
Stuart ScottSep 20 2011, 4:21pmHi Philip,

May have 1 or 2 teams so would appreciate a form too please (stuart.scott AT i m ra.ie).

Thanks again for organising. Great to see some interest too!

Stuart.
Denis CarriganSep 21 2011, 1:09pmHi
One more team for the list
Denis Carrigan
Finbar Devlin
Nigel McKernan

dcarrigan@glanbia.ie

Thanks

Denis
Philip BrennanSep 21 2011, 1:18pmAttn: Barry Tennyson, Barry can you let me have your email address please.

Philip
Barry TennysonSep 22 2011, 2:34pmPhillip, my e-mail address is:

barryt@tennysons.com

Thanks
catherine halpinSep 23 2011, 11:38amHi, sorry - my email is catherine_halpin@yahoo.co.uk

cheers
diarmuid O'ColmainSep 26 2011, 7:09amHI Philip,
assuming the event goes ahead, can I just check the mandatory route please for the last leg.
I assume Conavalla, Camenabalogue and Lug are mandatory - is the top of Table Mountain also required?

Diarmuid
Philip BrennanSep 26 2011, 8:05amDiarmuid, from previous years I understand that some runners skirted around Table without actually crossing the summit, all other peaks are compulsory.

At this stage I have only received 2 entries in the post. I understand that other teams are committed to running but I now need formal commitment - please return your application forms to me straight away. As previously advised we need 10 teams to enter so let's make sure this race goes ahead - those of you definitely running let me know, those of you thinking about running, get the finger out now & form a team!

Philip
Diarmuid O'CoolmainSep 26 2011, 12:22pmI'm planning to do leg 3 of the realy - from Turlough Hill to Fenton's; and was wondering if anyone else doing leg 3 would like to carpool? my estimated arrival time at the bottom of Camara Hill is 4.30 pm, but obviously this is quite variable depending on conditions. So say around 4.45 in Fentons.

Or alternatively is there anyone who will be at Fenton's for the afternoon who could give me a lift back to the Wicklow Gap at some stage?
Diarmuid O'ColmainSep 26 2011, 12:29pmSorry Philip, now that I've looked at the route map (yes, I know I should have looked at it first!), one other question about routing. The route on the map seems to make a point of going to Lough Firrib, but I assume this is not mandatory. It's debatable if this is the best route choice or not, but I assume the map just shows one possible route to Conavalla. Am I right?

I've no problem if Lough Firrib (or any other feature) is mandatory, but just want to be clear on the rules of the game! Thanks Diarmuid
Kevin O'RiordanSep 26 2011, 12:35pmNo mandatory checkpoint at Lough Firrib. Table mountain summit isn't a checkpoint but the junction of Table Track and the path to Camenabologue is. (So you can't use the Camenabologue-Conavalla direct route that some people used in Circuit of Avonbeg).

Colm Hill's attackpoint report from last year shows he took a fairly direct line between Turlough Hill and Conavalla and another fairly direct line between Conavalla and Table Track.
Hazel ThompsonSep 26 2011, 12:52pmThe 2008 event lists the manditory checkpoints. I assume they are the same this and every year. Apologies in advance if I am providing misleading information...

http://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/528/

Leg -1 : 13.18k
Start 2km South of Stone Cross at Forrest Entrance Grid-Ref : O-075-205
Seahan 648m
Corrig 618m
Seefingan 724m
Kippure 757m
End of Leg-1 : Sally Gap crossroads.

Leg-2 : 15.99k
Start of Leg-2 : Sally Gap crossroads.
Carrigvore 682m
Gravale 718m
Duff Hill 720m
Mullaghcleevaun East Top 795m
Mullaghcleevaun 849m
Barnacullian 714m
Tonelagee 817m
End of Leg-2 : Turlough Hill carpark

Leg-3 : 20.15k
Start of Leg-3 : Turlough Hill carpark Communications Hut (Grid-Ref : T-063-983) 681m
Conavalla 734m
Table Track junction (no requirement to go to cairn at Table Mountain) 690m
Camenabologue 758m
Cannow 796m
Lugnaquilla 925m
Camarahill 480m
Finish : Bottom of Camarahill at Road Junction

It would probably be useful to list these on the details page.

I would love to take part but unfortunately I'm not free that weekend.

Hazel
Diarmuid O'ColmainSep 26 2011, 2:17pmThanks Kevin, Hazel. That seems clear. The Table track junction to Camenabalogue makes a difference; otherwise you could take a more direct path as Kevin points out a la Circuit of Avonbeg.
Alan AylingSep 27 2011, 12:24amRe: leg 2 - visiting the "top" of Barnacullian seems unnecessary and confusing, seeing as there is no distinct top as such, and what there is... well it's the Black Bog of Doom up there. Surely Mullaghcleevaun - Stoney Top - Tonelegee as mandatory checkpoints would be more sensible? Or maybe this is what was intended? (Barnacullian & Stoney Top are both 714 m).

Philip BrennanSep 27 2011, 8:14amAs of this morning I have the following teams confirmed:

Setanta - Kevin O'Riordan
Gen - Joe Lawlor
DMRA - Brendan Lawlor
Ball Carriers - Denis Carrigan
River Runners - Catherine Halpin
Team Nutrino - Rachael Cinnsealach

I also have a couple of individuals who intend to run the whole race - Zoran Skrba, Brian Caulfield, Paul Tierney & Robbie Williams.

Can I make one final request for any one else out there considering this race to make an effort to organise a team, I want to ensure this race does go ahead so come on - lets get a couple more teams together.
Paul TierneySep 27 2011, 10:39pmHi lads,
Any chance of a spin back to Dublin from Fentons after the race. Come to think of it a lift to the start would be great too :) I can meet anyone it suits somewhere handy for them
My email is paultierney89@eircom.net
Philip BrennanSep 29 2011, 9:05amI have been advised that the road from Stone Cross to the start of the race at the forest entrance is temporarily closed so you will need to detour around to the other side of the valley - Athdown forest/Cloghleagh area. This will add about 15 - 20 mins onto your journey time so please allow yourself enough time to get there.

I propose to open registration around 7.30am and the race will start at 8am sharp.

Paul, if you are stuck for a lift to the start I will be leaving from Rathfarnham so can pick you up if you are nearby. Call me on zero 87 254 one 8 five 7.
oscar shorttSep 29 2011, 1:09pmA bit late in the day. Is there any team short a runner. I would love to give this one a go. If not I hope to run the last leg anyway. Give me a call 086.8115523. Oscar
catherine halpinSep 29 2011, 1:35pmi'd like to second Alan on the stoney top thing. recce'd this last sunday and ok it was brutal weather, but it was mucky as hell up there. hopefully it'll be a bit drier this weekend.
Philip BrennanSep 29 2011, 9:23pmLets hope this beautiful weather holds out for Saturday! There will be a kit check in place from 7.30 am & all runners will be expected to carry map & compass, spare clothing,space blanket, food & drink & mobile phone. If it turns out to be a warm day please ensure that you have enough liquids with you, there are precious few water stops along the route.

As previously advised the normal route from the Stone Cross to the start at the forest entrance is currently closed & you will need to detour around. Please check the South Dublin Co Council website for details if you are unsure of the route.

Regarding the Barnaquilla Ridge, my understanding is you run from the summit of Mullaghcleevaun to the summit of Stoney Top & on to Tonlegee. En route you will cross Barnaquilla - whether you go straight through the centre or left or right is up to you. I have fantastic memories of slogging through this in all kinds of weather!!

I will post a list of all teams & runners tomorrow on the forum.
Greg ByrneSep 29 2011, 9:37pmThe last few years the finish line has been Fentons instead of the cross-roads at Camara Hill as listed in Hazels post. If it is the same this year it might be worth stating in advance. Camara junction can be a lonely place for marshalls to sit for 4-5 hours.
Philip BrennanSep 30 2011, 11:01amEntries for tomorrow's race as follows:

Team Runners

DWMRT: Declan Cunningham, Brendan Lawlor, Diarmuid O'Colmain

Nutrino: Rachael Cinnsealach, James Flanagan, Pól O'Murchu

Ball Carriers: Denis Carrigan, Finbar Devlin, Nigel McKernan

River Runners: Peter Barron, Catherine Halpin, Fergal O'Mahony

GEN: Gavan Doherty, Alan Ayling, Joe Lawlor

Individuals running the whole race:

Paul Tierney & Robbie Williams

Zoran Skrba & Brian Caulfield

The race will start at 8am sharp, first leg runners should be at registration by 7.30 to allow enough time for kit check etc. Again, please allow enough time for diversion to the start. See you all tomorrow.
Gavan DohertySep 30 2011, 11:03amhello,

are there any leg 1 runners (or others) that could give me a lift from southside dublin area? blackrock-ish area, but i'm flexible.

0862621445 or gavan.doherty [at] 247meeting.com

cheers,
Brendan DohertySep 30 2011, 11:07amAs I hope all first leg runners know, the road directly south from Stone Cross is barriered off (six foot mesh barrier walls, a deep excavation on the road, etc). There is a detour around, with a sketch map on the South Dublin County Council web-site. Even if you have it, here is a little more “on the ground” information from Stone Cross, aimed at avoiding any last-minute panic early on Saturday morning.
1. All junctions on the detour are clearly marked, with either orange Council detour signs, or black/white contractors signs (or both!). Look for “Midland Construction Site” signs
2. Length of the detour, from Stone Cross to the forest entrance- 7.1 miles, so you can figure how extra you need for that distance
3. General length of the main segments-1.6 miles down south on the L7462, where you then turn left/East onto the L7002 which then turns to continue further South. After a total of 3.4 miles from the start at SC, you then turn left /East arriving at the area leading into the Kilbride Rifle Range (a total of 4.9 miles from your start.)The forest entrance is a total of 7.1 mile from your start, and you gain it by turning left/North at the Range junction. The sign there says “Restricted Local Access” but don’t let that upset you-it works fine.

I hope this has helpful-if it misleads you, you can complain bitterly to me on arriving at the Sally Gap hand-over
Philip BrennanSep 30 2011, 2:07pmOne more team, how could I forget SETANTA:
L1: Gareth Little
L2: Kevin o'Riordan
L3: Ger Butler (late of 3Roc!)
Diarmuid O'ColmainSep 30 2011, 3:33pmvEry valid point about Greg and marshals hanging around the bottom of Camara Hill. Easy solution - let all the leg 3 runners record their finishing time of day and report it to the marshal in Fenton's. Everyone's a winner!
Colm HillSep 30 2011, 3:41pmThe past 3/4 years we've always finished at Fentons. Makes life easier for everyone.

I just recorded my time at the cross last year as the old route (70's-80's) (and amazing record) finished at the gate.

Keep it at Fentons - much more fun if it comes head to head at the end - who has the leg strength to sprint it out after the legs have taken a hammering coming off Lug.

Weather looks great for the weekend. Should be a good one with relatively dry ground
Kevin O'RiordanSep 30 2011, 3:42pm"Everyone's a winner!"

Only if they lie ;-)

It's being Fenton's since the race returned to the calendar in 2008. Probably safest to leave it that way.
Zoran SkrbaSep 30 2011, 5:14pmRegarding the mandatory kit: what is the "spare clothing" requirement? What is the minimum requirement - leggings/gloves/hat/jacket(wind and/or waterproof)/long sleeves etc.
Philip BrennanSep 30 2011, 10:20pmNormally I would be looking for spare kit to include full body cover, ie leggings & waterproof top & hat. Apparantly the forcast is not great for tomorrow so better be prepared.....
Gareth LittleOct 1 2011, 12:25pmSetanta were in the lead at the Sally Gap. Kevin O'Riordan (setanta) then headed up Carrigvore just as the weather started to turn nasty. Kevin should be finished leg two soon so I'll try post a further update.

Looks like DWMRT team made a bu bu with logistics too as Declan Cunnigham finished leg one to be greated to an AWOL Brendan Lawlor ;)
Gareth LittleOct 1 2011, 3:22pmApparently there is a good battle going on between ger butler and Zoran and Brian. Ger needs to beat the lads by 8 minutes to win the relay due to a mass start at leg 3. Most runners due in soon.

More updates to follow soon...
Gareth LittleOct 1 2011, 3:26pmApparently there is a good battle going on between ger butler and Zoran and Brian. Ger needs to beat the lads by 8 minutes to win the relay due to a mass start at leg 3. Most runners due in soon.

More updates to follow soon...
Brendan LawlorOct 1 2011, 7:03pmGreat event today - horrific condition!! I went into three bogholes up to my waist and ran in 10km of streams!

Well done to Philip, Brendan, Stuart and other helpers - why wasn't there a marshall on every peak?!

Shame this event is not better supported - lets hear no more clamouring for more long races until we get 10 teams into this classic, if it happens again next year (different date maybe)

Thanks again to all
Zoran SkrbaOct 1 2011, 7:14pmThank you Philip, Brendan, Stuart for organising the event even though only a handful of teams were interested. Great event even in these awful conditions. Still on a high for completing the whole thing! Z & B - will post a race report in the next few days.
Gareth LittleOct 1 2011, 7:29pm
Excellent race today!! Thx a lot to Philip and crew. Weather was a but rough but sure it's Wicklow in October...

And a very well done to Zoran and Brian, that's some achievement!

I hope this race is back on the calendar next year.

Gareth
catherine halpinOct 1 2011, 9:24pmthank you so much for a really great race!!! the sunglasses were possibly an unneccessary touch - but what a view from mullaghcleevaun :o)

fair play to zoran and brian! (ye are both insane)
Nora LalorOct 1 2011, 10:10pmBest quote of the day Zoran at Wicklow Gap "it was bad up there but i was not sure where I was as it was my firt time over stoney top in daylight!!"
Peter BarronOct 2 2011, 11:55amPhilip and co.thank you organising the event. A great day in some wonderful Wicklow weather! Pete
Diarmuid O'ColmainOct 2 2011, 4:32pmReport on my experience of stage 3 is posted, per Philip's request. Please don't read it, it's too embarrassing.
Philip BrennanOct 2 2011, 6:24pmResults of yesterday's race as follows:

1. Zoran Skrba & Brian Caulfield: 8hours 5 mins
Splits: L1: 1 hour 52 mins, L2: 2 hrs 57 mins, L3: 3 hrs 16 mins

2. Setanta: Gareth Little, Kevin O'Riordan & Ger Butler: 8 hours 51 mins
Splits: L1: 1 hour 51 mins, L2:3 hrs 12 mins, L3: 3 hrs 48 mins

3. River Runners: Pete Barron,Catherine Halpin & Fergal O'Mahoney: 9 hrs 17mins
Splits: L1: 2 hrs 18 mins, L2: 3 hrs 21 mins, L3: 3 hrs 38 mins

4. DWMRT: Declan Cunningham, Brendan Lawlor & Diarmuid O'Colmain: 9hrs 55mins
splits: L1: 2 hrs 1 min,L2: 3 hrs 33 mins,L3: 4 hrs 21 mins

5. GEN: Gavan Doherty, Alan Ayling & Joe Lawlor: DNF
Splits: L1 2 hrs, L2: 3 hrs 26 mins, L3: DNF

6. Neutrino: Rachel Cinnseallach, James Flanagan, Pol O'Murchu: DNF
Splits: L1: 3 hrs 5 mins,L2: 4 hrs 22 mins, L3:DNF

7. Ballcarriers: Denis Carrigan, Finbar Devlin & Nigel McKernan: DNF
Splits: L1: 2 hrs 53 mins, L2: 5 hrs, L3: DNF. Both legs run as a team.

Well it was certainly a challenging day in the mountains to say the least! The rain was pounding down as I drove in darkness to Ballinascorney and eased up only slightly as the small group of starters headed off into the mist. As the day went on the weather never really improved as low cloud hugged almost all the mountain tops and very heavy rain showers continued throughout the day. I have to offer my congratulations to all the competitors who ran, it is no easy thing to head off into the cloud armed only with a map and compass in an attempt to navigate successfully across several peaks. Given that the field was so small and the visibility so poor many runners never saw another competitor during their whole time out on the mountain.

Heroes of the day are undoubtedly Zoran and Brian who successfully ran the three legs together and cruised to a well deserved victory in a very impressive time of just over 8 hours, particularly so with such dreadful conditions. It rounds off a very impressive year for Zoran with his recent success in the Nav Challenge Series and strong performance in the Rogaine.

However there were other heroes of the day and personal performances that will stand to the individual runners. Rachel & Catherine both did very well on their own in the mist and should feel justifiably proud of thier achievements.Declan also had a strong run on Leg 1 only to discover as he raced into the changeover at Sally Gap to find that his next leg runner was nowhere to be seen.Having been a party to this myself in the past, I could understand his frustration!

All in all it was a fun day in the hills and again I would like to thank Brendan Doherty, Peter Kernan & Stuart Scott for giving up their Saturday to help out on the day.

As to the future of the Lug Relay, clearly it is not being supported and we will need to look carefully at next year to see if it has a place in the calender. My own feeling is that we should try & hold it earlier in the year, get it on the calender well in advance and make it pre-entry only. If we don't get a sufficient number of teams then the race should be scrapped. It would be a pity to do this but I see no future for it if we cannot attract sufficient runners.

Finally, I have posted some pictures on Facebook which give a flavour of what it was like out there.
Rachel CinnsealachOct 2 2011, 6:50pmI enjoyed the event to much. I was so delighted with myself to have navigated my way to the end of the race. I also really enjoyed running on the open mountain through the bog and the heather. It was so nice to be doing something different to 3 rock or the wicklow way. Having done the event I would definitly do it again, now that I'm hooked I'd hate to see it scrapped. It was fun, following the race down and seeing the other runners coming in. I will do my best to promote this event next year and get loads of teams to enter.
Rachel CinnsealachOct 2 2011, 7:15pmI've added my report too. (As per Philips request)

A big thankyou to Philip, Stuart, Brendan and Peter for organising/helping out at the event.
catherine halpinOct 3 2011, 9:15amreport added for leg 2
Brian CaulfieldOct 3 2011, 12:01pmThanks to all the organisers for a great event. I am sure it was not easy to give up your Saturday to manage a race for the few mad people who turned up on the day. Much appreciated though. A bit disappointing to see such small numbers but I am sure that everybody who did take part will spread the word about this great event - I know I will.
Paul NolanOct 3 2011, 12:24pmThree great reports, well done on capturing the primitive fun that is an open mountain race in nasty weather.
Fergal O'MahonyOct 3 2011, 12:57pmThanks to all involved in organising / helping out in the event. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Hope it goes ahead again.

Definitely a day for trusting your compass.
Zoran SkrbaOct 3 2011, 10:33pmBrian and my reports are up Z
James FlanaganOct 4 2011, 1:04amThanks to everyone for all the work and time put in over a long and wet day to make this race happen. Enjoyed it despite the monsoon conditions. My first time on it and it is one of the better races of the year. I found a Zoot water bottle en route so if anyone is looking for it please just let me know.
Brendan LawlorOct 4 2011, 8:42amGreat reports folks - it brought back the whole Barnacullian Ridge nightmare!

I've also noticed another IMRA conundrum - the smaller the race field the longer the forum thread and the better the race reports...interesting..the obsessive, compulsive mental wing of IMRA has plenty to say for itself