Irish Mountain
Running Association

Galtymore

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Jason KehoeJul 11 2011, 9:58pmHi,

Anyone have accommodation suggestions close to the race that they would recommend?

Cheers,
Jason
Mick HanneyJul 11 2011, 10:34pmCaher is close by. Bound to be lots of accomodation there or in an around the Glen of Aherlow. I usually drive across on the morning. I expect there'll be guys willing to car pool from Dublin too.
Vivian O'GormanJul 26 2011, 9:18pmHi Folks,

I am looking for a Summit Marshall and a First Aid Person for this race please.
You can text me at 087 4150398 or go through myimra.
roy galvinJul 27 2011, 11:00pmI have accomodation available at Tigh Roy www.tigroy.com very close to the starting point,15 mins drive. B&B €35pps also have traditional Finnish woodburning Sauna to sooth aches and pains, call me on 087-2572281 or email me tigroy@eircom.net. Cheers! Roy :-)
Vivian O'GormanJul 28 2011, 5:15pmStill need a First Aider!
Jason KehoeJul 28 2011, 6:03pmHi Vivian,

Where exactly is the turnaround point on Galtymore? Is it the first stone cairn, the Celtic Cross (Erected by Sinead's grandfather btw!) or the far cairn (which looked like the higher peak).

Also the other summits are not well defined so is there particular points that must be reached or can we contour around them as long as we summit at some point on the peaks of Galtybeg and Cush?

We booked into Roy's place for the night before so well done on rounding up business Roy!

Cheers,
Jason
Vivian O'GormanJul 28 2011, 7:17pmHi Jason,

The grassy track at the race start wiil take you over to and up Cush - no going around - then its straight down into the valley and over to Galty Beg and straight up onto the ridge - turn right to the turnaround at the cross on Galtymore and back to the finish the same way you went out.

I'll explain the course again on Sunday.
roy galvinJul 28 2011, 9:43pmHi Jason,
It's thanks to Tommy who organises the local running club in Galbally for putting me in the picture :-) as for me? I'm just a regular MI member... way too slow for you...lol PS, let others know about accommodation available+sauna, Cheers! Roy.
mick kellyJul 30 2011, 12:02amBORRIS HOUSE 5K TRAIL RUN.Beautiful scenic trail run around the forests,valleys and lakes of the great irish landmark borris house.Very runable trail,few nice hills and should be a great atmosphere on the day,entry is 5 euro and all proceeds to cystic fibrosis ireland.Entries start at 9am at gate lodge,borris house,with race starting at 11am on sunday 11th of september.Please ring me,mick at 0861089642.Thank you,we are hoping for a big crowd as the charity is very close to me and my familys heart.Thanks.Mick.
Brian FureyJul 31 2011, 8:18pmHi,
Just to say thanks to Vivian and and helpers for organising race today. Also the hospitality in Coachmans after was great.

On the results, I clocked my time as 86.00 flat on my watch- Doesn't make a huge difference but can someone double check it please?

thanks,
Brian
Mick HanneyJul 31 2011, 8:38pmCongrats Brian, Irish Champ aris.
Kevin O'RiordanJul 31 2011, 9:10pmwill fix this evening
Brian FureyAug 1 2011, 11:11amThanks Mick, cool to win it again, pushed all the way by Jason again. Well done to all who took part, wasn't the easiest of conditions with the mist!
Jason KehoeAug 1 2011, 11:36pmWell done on another fine win Brian. The Galtys are a great spot and Viv and his helpers have had a flawless run so far this year. Tom and Co. did a great job with the hospitality afterwards too, and some great prizes too, there were even some copies of Mauras new book to be had. Photos have been uploaded now, great one of a Joe Lawlor sprint finish too!

Also a special thanks to Tig Roys B&B. It would be a great base for a training weekend in the Galtys as he has all the facilities and no better host than Roy! The wood burning Sauna was a special treat too.

See you at Slieve Donard!
Kieran Lynch73Aug 2 2011, 6:41pmI was dreaming I was leading coming down off Cush on Sunday morning only to be woken up by my wife to tell me she was going into labour and we had to go to the hospital NOW, probably the closest I'll ever get to winning.
Patrick barryMay 21 2012, 6:06pmI will be timing a holiday back from England to my family in Tipperary to do this race. What is the process with entering this race. I am a member of the FRA and have done a few longer races in various parts of England.
Dermot MurphyMay 21 2012, 8:09pmPatrick, you can sign up and pay on the morning of the race. Also make sure to have all the kit items ready, we will decide on the morning what will be required.
patrick barryMay 22 2012, 8:48amThanks for the repl
Should have asked with my first question, but do I need to be a member of IMRA?
Dermot MurphyMay 22 2012, 8:59amPatrick, you do need to be a member but you can take care of all that on the morning. Simply a matter of filling out a registration form, which you can do in advance in you wish. A registration form can be found in the Forms section - see list of tabs at the bottom of the screen.
Patrick BarryMay 22 2012, 9:58amWhat is the IMRA membersip fee? There is no mention of it on the form.
What is the race membership fee.

Sorry about all the questions but I have no experience of hill running in Ireland.
Patrick BarryMay 22 2012, 9:59amRace membership fee - what's that?? that is what cutting and pasting does. Sound have been race entry fee oops.
Paul SmythMay 22 2012, 10:03amPatrick,

You'll find the details at:

http://www.imra.ie/beginners/
Mick HanneyMay 22 2012, 10:08amI daresay Patrick if this is a once off race the yearly membership (€10) will be waived. I don't think we charge NIMRA (NI hill runners) the annual reg so the same should be true for the FRA? So, all that should be payable on the day is €7. Hope you enjoy it. Galtymore is a favourite route for many.
Kevin O'RiordanMay 22 2012, 10:14amAs far as I know, the combined registration fee+race fee for overseas runners is €10.
Patrick BarryMay 22 2012, 10:21amThanks for all the replies. It will be a unique event to get a Pennine Fell Runners vest out in Tipperary! My parents live near Thurles so I have ran and walked in the Galtees many times.