Irish Mountain
Running Association

The Sugar Bowl - BBQ

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Eamonn O'NeillJun 23 2011, 3:52pmHey, I'd like to help out at this race and run if possible.

Last one of the league, can't wait WOHOO!!!

Thanks,
Eamonn
Eamonn O'NeillJun 23 2011, 3:56pmSorry, e-mail address was wrong in the last post. Correct one in with this one. Thanks
John J BarryJun 23 2011, 4:30pmEamonn,

Can you go onto the event :

http://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/861/

"Volunteering"

and select the the role you want to volunteer for e.g. Helper (run)
Justin O'KeeffeJun 27 2011, 2:47pmWe'll be looking for volunteers for both the race itself & the BBQ afterwards. Just let the RD know if you;re volunteering for the BBQ, for which we need about 5 more running & non running volunteers. More to follow closer to the event.
Sonja FuhrmannJun 27 2011, 11:55pmI could help out at the BBQ after the race if that works out for you?
Eva FairmanerJun 30 2011, 8:59amJustin, I am happy to do my special Veggie Burgers for those who would like them. Perhaps if nearer the date I get some idea how many vegetarians I would need to cater for it would make things easier.
Justin O'KeeffeJun 30 2011, 9:16amThanks Sonja & Eva - much appreciated. More info closer to the time
Brendan LawlorJun 30 2011, 4:13pmCould you add Dan Lawlor as a volunteer (running) for this race please
Roman GregusJul 1 2011, 12:35pmHi Richard

I would like to do marshalling on this race or anything else if needed.
roman
Paul GrantJul 12 2011, 7:25pmI would like to volunteer for the race (running if possible) or to help out at the BBQ.
Richard NunanJul 12 2011, 10:10pmHi Paul,

I have added you as a running volunteer

Thanks

Richard
Avid RunnerJul 14 2011, 11:48amSo is it 6km or 10km bit of a difference!
Mick HanneyJul 14 2011, 11:58amDon't know where you are seeing 10k? Its c. 6k.
Paul GrantJul 14 2011, 12:40pmGreat thanks Richard
Avid RunnerJul 14 2011, 12:41pm See below:

Event Difficulty: 7 (3,2,2) - Difficult Terrain, 200M - 500M ascent, 6Km - 10Km

But cheers for the clarification Micko!

Dermot MurphyJul 14 2011, 1:09pmAvid, immediately above the event difficulty section you quote, it says distance 6k.
Rene BorgJul 14 2011, 1:35pmHi Avid, the description there is in the "TAD Rating" that's a scoring system used on all races to rank difficulty. As Dermot mentioned to get the precise distance you look at the Distance field just above. Sugarloaf just about falls into the 6-10km bracket for its distance of 6k (that's what the field is meant to represent).
Sinead Gaffney Jul 14 2011, 1:56pmIs there a junior race and how long will it be
Mick HanneyJul 14 2011, 1:59pmThe junior course is consistently below 5k on LC races. If memory serves Juniors run most of the route apart from the steep last section of the cone. I think there was a marshall there last year directing juniors.
ciaran briodyJul 15 2011, 8:59pmI would like to be a running volunteer for this race.

catherine halpinJul 18 2011, 8:09pmRichard
my name's not down but i had offered a while ago to be a running volunteer. will i show up early for parking or whatever or after?
Zuzana PavlikovaJul 18 2011, 8:20pmHi, could anybody give me a lift to the race from connolly station? Thanks, zuzana
Dermot MurphyJul 19 2011, 8:54amCatherine, I've added you as a running volunteer.
karl walshJul 19 2011, 11:57ameva

put me down for one of those delicious vegi burgers cheers
Ian O'KaneJul 19 2011, 11:57amAbout carpool. I will be leaving at 18.15 not the 00.00 as posted. Some kind of glitch in the system i presume as it came out wrong.
Ronan FleetwoodJul 19 2011, 12:11pmEva, if there are more veggie burgers going I'd love one. Thanks.
chloe galleyJul 19 2011, 12:20pmHi Eva,
Myself and Brendan Roth are veggies. We would love to sample some of your special veggie burgers. If you think you can't make enough, let me know and one of us will bring some too (although probably not home made, sorry).
Chloe
Fergal DalyJul 19 2011, 6:04pmThere are a 2 cars leaving from Blackrock for the race.
One at about 5.30 and another at about 6.00.
There is 1 space in each.
FergalDDaly@gmail.com
Clare SullivanJul 19 2011, 7:02pmHi Eva,

Add another to the veggie tally if you could! Look forward to it!

Clare
Justin O'KeeffeJul 19 2011, 7:18pmFolks - just a final reminder / call for salads for the BBQ

It would great be if every 5th person could bring a salad, i.e. one person per group of friends. Just drop it off in the car park with us when registering.

We expect to feed up to 250 people at the BBQ, so we will need over 50 bowls of salads / leaves / pasta / tomatoes etc. to feed the masses of hungry runners.

Justin & Conor
roisin mc donnellJul 19 2011, 7:46pmRichard if you need any more non running volunteers i will be there can do first aid ?? roisin
Richard NunanJul 19 2011, 8:41pmHi Folks,

We have more than enough Volunteers for tomorrow night - Volunteers should show up at 6:00pm.

Useful info from last years info

There is a bus, number 84X, leaving Eden Quay at 17:30 that will get you to the event on time.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/84x/

Note that there are two 84X's leaving at the same time - it is the one heading for Newtownmountkennedy that you need to get.

Volunteers for BBQ are the following :

Justin O'Keeffe
Enda Walsh
Eoin O'Brien
John Ahern
Sonja Fuhrman
Paula Keohan
Dermot Murphy
Conor O'Meara
Ken Cowley
Eva Fairmaner
Brendan Roth

11 Volunteers in Total.

The other Volunteers will be allocated other roles by myself and Andreas on the night.

Richard NunanJul 19 2011, 8:43pmRoisin,

Can you assist Diarmuid with First Aid - it tends to be required at suger loaf -
Mick HanneyJul 19 2011, 8:57pmHi Richard, I'd said to Jimmy earlier that I'd help Diarmuid. I won't be running. Ifnot first aid I can help with another task during or post race preferably.
Richard NunanJul 19 2011, 9:01pmI'm not sure Mick - have you volunteered before ? :-)

Happy to have your help!!

Mick HanneyJul 19 2011, 9:21pmDamn it. I misread. Thought it said run 2 races and volunteer for 7 :-)
roisin mc donnellJul 20 2011, 11:03amHi Richard thats great..will do first aid see u at 6 roisin
avid runnerJul 20 2011, 11:31amSooooo excited about 2nite guys
diarmuid O'ColmainJul 20 2011, 11:51amThanks Roisin, (Mick) - I am hoping people won't injure themselves before the race so may not arrive too early!
David HanlonJul 20 2011, 12:06pmprobably on forum but cant see it, where is bbq on?
Kevin O'RiordanJul 20 2011, 12:10pmGlencormack Inn. Same venue as registration.
Bob DoyleJul 20 2011, 12:12pmget your mind on the prize david, its a run not a party....keep frank the tank locked up until 10pm at least!
david 'frank' hanlonJul 20 2011, 12:15pmthanks Kev, going to go mental!

anybody for streaking
Ross VickersJul 20 2011, 2:52pmHi Guys

Is it possible to run tonight if not an IMRA member. I took part in the Dublin Mountain Plod on Sunday which was my first IMRA event and would love to run tonight. So just wondering if you can register on the night and how much it costs.

Cheers

Ross
Donal TroddynJul 20 2011, 3:03pmRoss, you are now an IMRA member from the Plod, so come along. It's €7 for the race.
Justin KeatingeJul 20 2011, 3:39pmAn independent television crew will film some of tonight's race to get some material for an RTE Factual documentary that will be shown in October.

They hope to film the race start and then get up onto the shoulder of Sugarloaf before runners get there. In order to facilitate this, we may need to stage an early start to give the crew time to get up around the back of the mountain by 4x4. More details at registration.

(If you're currently in hiding from Interpol, the Revenue Commissioners or NAMA then wear dark shades.)
Ross VickersJul 20 2011, 4:31pmThanks Donal
Jason KehoeJul 20 2011, 11:19pmWell done to one and all tonight. Sugarbowl is always so well run. The food was top notch too for €3. Had to laugh when I saw the winners (Tomerik's) club name GTI (Grand Tourer Injection)! He certainly put injection into the pace tonight. Enjoy your holidays in Ireland Tomerik!

The top two runners broke John Brooks course record of 30:04 (if it was the same course) and Bernard was just outside it. Great course, great night, great food, great pints and great atmosphere! Plus the results are up already! Sure where would you get it all of a Wednesday evening!?!?

Well done Richard and team.

Jason
Peter O'FarrellJul 20 2011, 11:38pmGreat race, well done to all organising.
Tonight's course started at the GAA club whereas in previous editions it started further down the road (outside a house beside a fine patch of grass) so sadly our times are not comparable to the mighty man John Brooks record time.
No doubt Tomerik's GTI was fuelled on Orbea ;)
Mick HanneyJul 20 2011, 11:58pmOur visitor friend looks like he's a decent marathon runner if he's the same Tom Erik that ran a Berlin marathon in 2:36 last year. Welcome to the hills in Ireland!
Alan CollinsJul 21 2011, 12:58amThanks to all the organisers, volunteers and runners for another really fun sugar bowl run and bbq! Oh and for a super end of league prize! See you all next week.
Brendan LawlorJul 21 2011, 8:58amMartin and Sinead Gaffney ran the short course, Cian Rea too

Great race, well organised - thanks to all. Boo Hoo Summer League over already!
John LangenbachJul 21 2011, 9:11amCan I get my time added to the result list, please? I lost a few places looking for my glasses, but I'm quite sure I finished just ahead of Barry Moore (39:50-ish). My apologies to the "leave nothing but footprints" ideal, I think they must have fallen into the undergrowth.

Great fun, though. Thanks to the chefs for the barbecue and to Mick for being on hand with the blood wipes. (And to all involved in running a super league)
Roman GregusJul 21 2011, 9:24amHi

I am just wondering how can my name be in the results on the 100th place when I was volunteering as non running race marker.
please check that, put me out of the results and find out who was it. definitely not me :)

cheers

roman
Mick HanneyJul 21 2011, 10:09amI think Gayle McGlynn was an early starter? That may not have been made clear at the finish? Race should show Jenny as the ladies winner I expect.
John BarryJul 21 2011, 10:35amHi,

First of all a huge thanks to Sinead for her invaluable help last night after the run when pressure was put on to produce the results.

Also thanks to Richard for getting me food 

Just a couple of points from the Laptop operation role I had last night.

[1] We only had one person recording finishing numbers last night when I normally noticed two sets of people recording numbers a number of metres apart.

This showed up badly where we missed recording the finish of a person that came in the first 5 places . Already I see on the forum a person was recorded as running when in fact he didn’t. I’m sure there is somebody now out there with the opposite situation because of a mistake in the recording / laptop roles.

[2] I never received a list of early starters / or juniors. So at the finish I was just guessing who was an early starter / age etc by looking at their speed crossing the finish line and only 30-35 minute had passed. Not very scientific I must admit.

[3] We need to get people to P.R.I.N.T their names on the sign in sheet. Again last night lots of time was wasted trying to decipher a person's name / signature which usually tallied with a number that could not be read either.

/John
Hazel ThompsonJul 21 2011, 10:49amI have a feeling that Vivienne Bates was also an early starter (sorry if you weren't).

It seems to have been a bit of an issue this year, where early starters have not always been recorded properly and prizes have been, or nearly been, incorrectly allocated to the female runners.

Last night for example, I don't think there was anyone offically starting the early start to ensure all early starters numbers had been recorded. Was an early start really even needed on such a short race? The early starters got a huge advantage over other runners of similar level by not getting caught up in the bottle necks which slowed everyone down a lot, except maybe the first few runners.

I know that everyone has been doing their best to ensure that early runners were recorded but maybe it needs to be looked into a bit more. Sorry, I know I'm not offering any solutions here...
Hazel ThompsonJul 21 2011, 10:51amBTW. Thanks for a great race, great league and a great BBQ!
Mick HanneyJul 21 2011, 10:56amWell done John and Sinead. I would agree with that Hazel. For races as short as this one an early start is not a requirement in my opinion. It gives the early starter distinct advantages and it could pose issues then for fast descenders of the main race if they get caught up on the narrow single track.
Eamonn KavanaghJul 21 2011, 12:05pmCould you please record my brother Mathew Kavangh, No.354 in the results. he finished in 46mins 20secs.
Tim ChapmanJul 21 2011, 12:43pmI think the early start here was as much for the camras as for the runners. It also means they finished at roughly the same time as everyone else so everyone could get at some grub! A good practise for next weeks handicap.

Tim

P.S I just got the maths question at the bottom wrong.
David RobertsJul 21 2011, 4:56pmThanks very much to all involved in organising last nights event. It was my first mountain run and it was really enjoyable. One slight hiccup was that my finish doesn't seem to have been recorded, i am down as dnf, but i promise i did!... in a time of 51 min
Vivian O'GormanJul 21 2011, 7:28pmI was given a watch last night at registration to mind for someone -- still have it -- will be at next weeks race.
Roman GregusJul 21 2011, 9:32pmHi
i have done a little investigation regarding my existing result in this run even though i wasnt running but volunteering and suprisingly have found among the photos from this race somebody wearing my number 1117.

http://www.imra.ie/photographs/55568.jpg

just for comparision this is me on tibradden this year
http://www.imra.ie/photographs/53788.jpg

and i promise i havent done a plastic surgery

so just 2 possibilties came to my mind. either somebody was given accidently my number (but have checked the similar numbers owners on photos from this year and havent recognized this guy) or somebody has used a number from previous seasons. have found just one guy with the same number in 2010, with no picture.

i dont know if it was really this case just maybe would be good to have different background colour on race numbers in different years to distiguish them.

just an idea.

and please fix that from results,

thanks
roman
Dermot MurphyJul 22 2011, 8:41amHi Roman, I'd say the guy just took the wrong number by mistake. If we can identify him, we can sort it out pretty quick. Anyone know who the guy wearing 1117 on Wednesday is?

Rene BorgJul 22 2011, 8:46amTeam results are up.
Brendan LawlorJul 22 2011, 9:24amHe's wearing a Slaney Olympic top - probably one of us yalla bellies
Caitlín BentJul 22 2011, 11:42amJust want to thank you all for huge organizational fete of Wednesday's race and BBQ. What a nightmare for the laptop operator! When the dust settles, can you adjust my recorded time of 54 mins. to 58.24:)
I left behind at the start of the race a black light zip fleece hooded jacket with Lowe Alpine logo (silly me).Any finders. It's probably in the' IMRA lost & found'. Will be at next Wednesday's race to hopefully retrieve.
Kevin O'RiordanJul 22 2011, 11:44amAll the early starters are recorded as 4 mins too fast. I don't know who all the early starters are though so I didn't want to go changing results until I was sure.
Roman GregusJul 22 2011, 11:52am1117 mystery runner

@Brandan and Dermot
I dont know...the guy who had 1117 last year, and what was the only year but this one with that number has Slaney Olympic stated in Club field, so maybe this could be an explanation. dont want to accuse anyone cause am not sure, but can anyone confirm or decline if the runner on this picture

can be Bill Kavanagh from Slaney Olympics, living in Wexford?

roman

John BarryJul 22 2011, 11:55amKevin,

You bet me to it. Your right, based on Caitlín's time keeping I see that all the early starter times were recorded incorrectly be me. I added 20 minutes when it should be 24'24".

There was not a list of Early Starters so one can just guess and speculate or individuals "own up" as early starters.

/John

Conor O'MearaJul 22 2011, 2:03pmCaitlin

Black Patagonia light weight hooded jacket, Mens size Medium ??
I have it. I will bring along to next weeks race.

Might be no harm to drop me an email Weds next - Conor.O'Meara at jacobs.com

Conor
bill kavanaghJul 22 2011, 7:46pmhi roman,yes that is me bill kavanagh slaney olympic enniscorthy.apologies for taking your number.this was my second imra race ever the first being mt.leinster last year where i got that number.didnt realise numbers changed every year.apologies again.
caitliín BentJul 22 2011, 8:05pmThanks Conor, Will mail you Weds.
Roman GregusJul 22 2011, 9:24pmHi Bill

thanks for reply and clearing this out. Hope you have behaved nicely to my number :o) and had a great run.
take care

roman
bill kavanaghJul 22 2011, 11:41pma few pinholes in it but other than that should be ok
Ercus StewartJul 23 2011, 11:27pmwell organised race and great food. well done all
Richard send me email to estewart@lawlibrary.ie as i have photo for you
Ercus
Rene BorgAug 2 2011, 3:46pmThe Norwegians posted a short report on Tom Erik Halvorsen's win at this race. I've done a loose translation of the report below: http://www.gti-stavanger.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3229:tom-erik-med-loyperekord-i-irland&catid=4:nyheter&Itemid=7

Tom Erik sets record in Ireland

Tom Erik Halvorsen impressed during a 6k fell run in Wicklow/Ireland this Wednesday

Ireland has produced a number of runners over the last generations who have left a lasting imprint internationally. The interest in Ireland is enormous, and this includes fell running (red: the Norwegian term is fjelløp)

IMRA - Irish mountain running association - invited runners the past Wednesday for the prize-giving for the "Winter League" and the winner Peter O'Farrell also took part in the race which consisted of 396m climb before the descent - a total of 6km.

It was here that Tom Erik ran away from all of the 219 participants to set a new course record in the time 28:37 ahead of O'Farrell with 29:47, the latter also running below the old mark of 30:04. 3rd man of the 217 finishers ran 30:07.

O'Farrell is ranked third in the overall rankings for 2011.