Irish Mountain
Running Association

GlasnamullanBallinastoe

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Kevin O'RiordanMay 5 2011, 5:04pmHmm, does this include War Hill like the race from year's back: http://www.iol.ie/~imra/route_glasnamullan.html? Because that looked like a pretty savage race.
Brendan LawlorMay 5 2011, 5:48pmKevin

Here's the route

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/83609193

8.4km with 410m climb, all runable but tough enough nonetheless

We won't be going to War Hill this year - maybe next year if this one goes well.

This race route has been made possible due to local landowner kindly agreeing to facilitate parking opposite race start in their field. Full details on this and other race details to follow
Turlough ConwayMay 7 2011, 1:33pmHi Brendan. You need to make that route viewable for all users on Garmin Connect i think. Not allowing to see at the mo.

Have done a couple of training runs up the djouce climb from that side. Lovely side to climb it from. The descent is perfect too
Brendan LawlorMay 7 2011, 4:44pmTurlough

Hope thats sorted now - let me know
Paul MahonMay 10 2011, 10:16pmThe drop down and route through the boggy coll between Djouce and War Hill used to be great craic if wet!
All on for variations on routes tho I do think the auld Ballinastoe at 12km & 600+m was a fitting classic penultimate race for the Leinster League tho was a right b1tch to mark!
Ya must be going soft with this "easy" route option BL tho fair play to the friendly local farmer for providing parking access on his land similar to the route access provided for the recent WAR Glendalough race!
Brendan LawlorMay 16 2011, 12:01pmFew more helpers needed for this race on Wednesday week, 25th May.

I'll post a full race briefing with details of parking, route, junior course and early start this evening
JOHN O NEILLMay 16 2011, 12:30pmHi Brendan,

You can out me down as a non running volounter if your still looking
Brendan LawlorMay 16 2011, 8:03pmRace Directors instructions and route description

Parking and registration : Parking will be in a field opposite the race start (Grid reference O202 091).Coming from Enniskerry along the Long Hill Road, Glasnamullan is about 2km beyond the main Djouce Woods car park, and about 2-3 km further along you reach the Ballinastoe MTB Trail car park.

Thanks to Lucy and Peter Mulloy for the kind use of their field and a donation at the gate will be taken up for a charity of their choice. Usual carpooling rules apply, no single occupancy cars please. Carpool from Coach House in Roundwood (prizegiving location). Registration will close at 7.20pm sharp. Please allow time to find the start location if you are unfamiliar with the area and don’t get upset with any of us if you are late and miss registration.

Route description : The route follows a forest track for about a kilometre until you arrive at a fence and open mountain. There are a few felled trees late on up this track but you can get round them. Follow the path down to a stream, cross the stream and follow path to start climb up the side of Djouce. Obvious path all the way up until you meet a track (Wicklow Way). This is the Junior turnaround point. There will be a marshal there. Main field go left and along the Wicklow Way until the T junction (end of boardwalk). Here you go right and up the shoulder of Djouce to the summit trig point. There will be a marshal at the summit. Return by the same route. Route will be fully marked

Junior course: Juniors will turnaround when track meets the Wicklow Way. Junior course approx. 5-6km.

Early start: Early start will be available at 7pm. Please advise at registration if you plan to go out early and again when you finish, please let finish officials have your time.Please consider taking the early start if you feel you will take more than 160% of winning time. Expected winning time 35-45 minutes.

Prizegiving pub : Coach House in Roundwood

No headphones please

Could someone in authority please paste this into Route Description and Organisers Instructions above
Brendan LawlorMay 16 2011, 8:13pmCorrection : Glasnamullan is about 3-4km beyond the main Djouce Woods car park, and about 2 km further along you reach the Ballinastoe MTB Trail car park
Zoran SkrbaMay 16 2011, 8:29pmBrendan, the WW that goes around the side of Djouce is quite narrow, would it not be better to come off the top of Djouce on the opposite side to the summit route and descend towards Dargle, once the WW route is reached turn right along it and then left when the race route reached. This way there will be less runners in the way of the leaders on the way down. The route I am suggesting could be done in the anti-clockwise direction too.
Brendan LawlorMay 16 2011, 9:32pmZoran

I am happy to include your route amendment.

So now at the Djouce cairn, you go down the steep south path (stay on the path and not the edges, to avoid erosion), at the Wicklow Way turn right and continue along to the Junior Turn/Junior Marshal, then go left down the track and back the way you came up.

I'll do this route in next few days and put up a new Garmin route to reflect this change
John LangenbachMay 17 2011, 11:55amLooking forward to this.

As this is a now a different route to the Ballinastoe race of recent years, it would make sense to unlink it from the history/results/records from the BST route on the system.
Brendan LawlorMay 18 2011, 3:33pmStill looking for one or two more volunteers for this race, in particular someone who could meet me at race start at 4.30/5pm and help me mark the route. I need to be back to parking field by 6 to set up registration
Richard KieranMay 19 2011, 12:13amHi Brendan,
I could be there early next Wednesday to help with marking
Mick HanneyMay 19 2011, 11:50amBrendan, if you could let me know when the garmin track is updated and I'll put it in OSI map form for the event details. Regards, Mick
Brendan LawlorMay 20 2011, 11:07amHeres the amended route

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/86771246

Mick, it would be good if you could make a map from this
Brendan LawlorMay 20 2011, 12:08pmWe are ok now for volunteers. Could anyone who's email is not on the volunteer list please email me at blawlor7 at gmail dot com.

Could all volunteers please be at the registration field by 6
Mick HanneyMay 22 2011, 3:51pmMap up.
Aoife Ardee RoadMay 23 2011, 2:53pmHi,
I was wondering if there is anyway of getting GPS coordinates for the starting points of the race. If you are unfamiliar with the area the start of the race can be very hard to find. I know how to get to the carpark but not from there to the start of the race.
Just a suggestion.
Brendan LawlorMay 23 2011, 2:56pmAoife

Race Directors instructions and route description

Parking and registration : Parking will be in a field opposite the race start (Grid reference O202 091).Coming from Enniskerry along the Long Hill Road, Glasnamullan is about 3-4km beyond the main Djouce Woods car park, and about 2km further along you reach the Ballinastoe MTB Trail car park.
Laura flynnMay 24 2011, 10:00pmI am leaving terenure about 6 tomorrow evening for race if anyone wants a lift (can't figure out how to add my name to car pool!).
phone-087 7420795
Gareth ShawMay 24 2011, 11:05pmTo Peter McNeill - I've registered for your car share, but didn't get a confirmation email. My number is o8six 661146nine. Can meet yo uat Bray DART at 18.20. Thanks
Peter McNeillMay 25 2011, 8:52amThanks Gareth. Sent you a text and see you tonight. To the other runner booked in with me, my number is o877441o46. Call me when you are outside the DART station to meet up.
Pete
Alan KilbrideMay 25 2011, 9:58amHey,

If you booked a carpool spot with me I did not receive any email (again!). Can you mail me on IMRAatAlanKilbride.com

Cheers,
Alan.
Kevin O'RiordanMay 25 2011, 10:21amHey Alan,

You'll need to specify an e-mail address in your MyIMRA profile if you want to receive carpool mails.

Kevin
Brendan LawlorMay 25 2011, 11:33amI've accepted Sean Hassett and Anthony Frazer as the final two volunteers for tonight. If you want to help please look at a future race as we are well covered tonight.

Could all volunteers please try to be at the registration field as close to 6 as possible. It could be a bit windy on top so Vivian bring your coat and put sand in your pockets so you don't blow off the summit!!
Brendan LawlorMay 25 2011, 1:09pmCollection at the gate tonight will be in aid of the Wicklow Hospice at the request of Peter and Lucy Mulloy, in whose field we will all be parking. See you later
Alan KilbrideMay 25 2011, 4:12pmThanks Kevin, Address added. Could a suggest a check be put in that if there is no email address on file, the person booking the seat in the car is notified of this as it seems to be a recurring problem.

I have made contact with Roman and Pat, if you are the third person to have booked in my car please txt me on o87-329-6one48

Cheers,
Al.
Gareth LittleMay 25 2011, 10:29pmWell, that was mighty fun on the downhill section! Thx to Brendan and his loyal band of helpers for making it happen.

More of the same next year please..

Gareth
Dermot MurphyMay 26 2011, 1:13amProvisonal results will be up shortly. Due to problems with the lap top, most of the results were manually recorded - can you please let us (Kevin and me) know if your result was not recorded correctly, or if you see a result which you know to be wrong.
Louis MulleeMay 26 2011, 8:39amGreat run last night, One comment thou, i noticed a lot of runners on the Djouce decent going off trail and adding to the already bad erosion there, (there are also signs asking folks to stick to the track). The trail was marked but runners were drifting over to the right and the bog was really starting to cut up. Maybe a quick pre race reminder to ask runners to stick to trails as much as possible in erosion prone areas.

Enjoyed the run as always!
Rene BorgMay 26 2011, 10:03amTeam results are up.
John J BarryMay 26 2011, 10:32amFolks,

I registed last night for first run this year. Number assigned was 1122. My name/number does not appear in the results. I was a couple places behind James Higgins at the finish (My watch said 63:23).

John
Dermot MurphyMay 26 2011, 11:23amJohn, I have added your result now.

There were also a few minor changes required - we will put up the revised results tomorrow evening. If anyone else thinks their result is wrong, please let us know.
Joan StapletonMay 26 2011, 11:33amHi,

My race no. is 162 and I took early start. My finish time would have been
approx 80mins so if you could correct in results that'd be great. Thanks,

Joan
Darragh TierneyMay 26 2011, 12:35pmHi,

My finish time is incorrect in listed results.
I started in the early group - number 778.
Time in results is 59:32, my recorded time was 56:40.
Can you please update my finish time?

Thanks,
Darragh
Laura FlynnMay 26 2011, 12:38pmHi Dermot and Brendan,
Thanks for all your efforts last night-it was a great course anad really enjoyablre race despite the weather.
Unfortunatley my name isn't recorded as finishing -I think I was 5th lady and 1st over 40-came in just ahead of Hazel Thompson.
thanks.
Dermot MurphyMay 26 2011, 12:48pmJoan, Laura & Darragh - I have corrected those in the results. Anyone see anything else, please let me know.

A reminder that the amended results won't be up until tomorrow evening.
Niamh O CeallaighMay 26 2011, 1:40pmHi,
Great race. My name isn't on the results either. I wasn't wearing a watch, so don't know my time, but I can have a look through the results to see who I was before and after if needed.
Niamh
Dermot MurphyMay 26 2011, 2:31pmNiamh, found your result as well, will update tomorrow.

Any other mistakes spotted, please let me know.
Brendan LawlorMay 26 2011, 4:42pmThanks to all our volunteers last night, especially Richard (our novice race marker, who did a great job), Peter and Torben on laptop, Mary on First Aid and of course our hardy route marshals Vivian and Caroline, and everyone else who helped out also.

Also thanks again to the Mulloy family for letting us use their field for parking. We collected €345 for the Wicklow Hospice on the gate. Same idea next week, carpool from CoachHouse Roundwood and we will be parking courtesy of the Gaffneys of Oldbridge, collection at the gate again.

Apologies for the results difficulties, our laptop died and the backup battery was flat. A new laptop purchase might be in order?

Feedback on the route seemed to be largely positive with only gripe being the bottlenecks at the start. The infamous Glasnamullan midges also showed what a hardy bunch they are, not being deterred too much by the windy conditions.

See you all in Scarr next week, when the redoubtable Colm O'Cnoic has his debut as a race director - we can all expect much youthful exuberance and cheeky commentary - I can't wait!
Aoife JoyceMay 26 2011, 4:53pmWanted to add my compliments on the route. It is my new favourite. Great to have discovered a new way to access Djouce. Big thanks to Brendan for bringing it back and to all the volunteers last night.
Val JonesMay 26 2011, 5:22pmGreat race last night, Brendan, thanks.
I have to agree with Louise on the erosion on the initial descent though. I suggest we avoid that section in all races for a while. Perhaps a solution is to go on to War Hill, then back by the same route?
Warren SwordsMay 26 2011, 5:31pmGreat race. Thanks to Brendan and all the volunteers.
Eva FairmanerMay 26 2011, 5:39pmWell done to Brendan and his merry men/women for last night and big thanks to the ever cheerful Caroline encouraging everyone on the first lap and especially to Vivian on the summit of Djouce where it must have been a lonely cold spot!
Michelle RowleyMay 26 2011, 5:44pmHi,
Thanks to all for a great race last night. I finished just ahead of Susan Seager. I am sorry I don't have an exact finishing time.

Regards, Michelle

Laura flynnMay 26 2011, 6:26pmSorry to butt in again but I'd like to echo Eva in thanking Caroline and Vivian for marshalling the turn-around and summit in such miserable condition and for being so cheerful and encouraging.
Diarmuid O'colmainMay 26 2011, 7:00pmfollowing on Michelle's post, I came in immediately after Susan Seager (as shown in the results). I would have thought Roisin McDonnell was ahead of me, but she is shown coming in some time later than me.

I took my own time for the race which was exactly 1 minute slower than shown in results; maybe this extra minute slipped in somewhere along the way.
Susan SeagerMay 26 2011, 10:50pmYes, Roisin was definitely ahead of me, by quite a few places I think.
Dermot MurphyMay 27 2011, 7:44amRevised results now up.
Jim FitzharrisMay 30 2011, 11:30amI would like to add my vote of thanks to all involved in the organisation of last Wednesday's race.

Regarding the descent off the summit of Djouce, I am guilty as charged m’lud (along with many others). It is understandable that people chose to go off path: the terrain was much more forgiving and we all tend to follow those in front (who were doing the same!).

Val's suggestion certainly has merit but if we just stick to turning at Djouce, then the obvious solution is to reverse the order of the ascent/descent. Go up to the summit by climbing UP the steep path (more logical and efficient to stick to the path - as per Powerscourt Uphill) and then descend along the gentler incline to the boardwalk. The terrain on that side is far more durable.

Cheers,

Jim.

Brendan LawlorMay 30 2011, 11:52amVal and Jim

Thanks for the feedback - I'm not sure that going out to Warhill is an option.(Huge groan from Continuity IMRA!)

It would mean marshals out on the mountain until after 9 (or possibly 9.30) and a finish up and back to the pub of 10 or later. Unfortunately numbers at the Wednesday races are just too big now - back in the day when this route was run as Glasnamullan/WarHill you had maybe 60 or 70 participants.

I agree that summiting anticlockwise (up the steep 'erosion' sensitive bit and down the Djouce shoulder) is a better option and if Glannamullan/Djouce (committee please not this race title!) is chosen as a 2012 LL race again thats what we will do.

Incidently, the field we parked in is used for hay/silage in June/July so hence the reason why the race was relatively early in the season- so having it as an end of season 12km classic a la Ballinastoe or as it was in 2001/2002 is not on I am afraid - sorry PMahon (or was it PO'Neill!)
Michelle ClarkeMay 31 2011, 8:51amHey Folks,
Any chance you have a time for me? My race number is 1116. (I skidded at the finish line so with that little drama it's possible my finish didn't get recorded on the system:)
In terms of finish time I was a couple of minutes behind -202 -Josephine Madden -990 -F 66:12

In short just circling back to ensure that the race get's recorded for the overall season records,
Cheers:)
M.
Dermot MurphyMay 31 2011, 8:25pmMichelle, I can't find your result on either of the manual results sheets or on the sign on sheet, so I am afraid I can't add your result.

To all - please make sure you do the following three items in order to ensure your result is recorded:

1) Sign the sign on sheet.
2) Make sure your number is visible at the finish - most weeks a number of unregistered runners run the race and if a number is not visisble, it is assumed you are an unregegistered runner.
3) Please make sure to hand in your race number in at the finish.
Ciaran McCormackJun 3 2011, 9:24amHi, Was there any photos from the race?

Cheers
Ciaran