Irish Mountain
Running Association

Dublin Peaks

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Niall DavisApr 19 2011, 6:13pmHi All.

Just a notice about Ticknock on the 8th of May 2011. The official opening ceremony for the new mountain bike trails will take place from 8.30 am to 4pm, ceremony at 12noon. All areas of the mountain (except the mountain bike trails) are still open for the day. Parking will be tight so please consider this if using the area that day.

Thanks,
Niall

Here is the blurb.

The official opening event for Ireland's newest mountain bike trails is on the 8th of May on Dublin's very own 3rock. (still can't believe it!)

There is a choice of 1 lap (8km), 2 laps (16km) or 3 laps (24km) starting at 12. Races for U8 to U16 in the morning. I'm making an effort to have kick ass kids loops so it will be great fun. It only costs €20, biking.ie cover the licence costs if you don't have one.

Ice cream van
Bouncing castle
DJ playing music all day
Catering, hot and cold drinks, sambo's etc...
Picnic Benches
Toilets
Free Bike check up
Massive Podium
Prize giveaways
Cool Trophies
Sunshine and fun
Plus the chance to be a world record holder and set the fastest official lap of 3 Rock, ever, in the world!

This is a milestone event for mountain biking in Ireland.

The official tape cutting ceremony will mark the start of the event. So let’s show how popular biking is and turn out in numbers. You must pre enter as space is limited.

Full details here http://www.biking.ie/dublin-blitz
Follow the event on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Bik...39066222779824

Zoran SkrbaMay 5 2011, 3:35pmI am planning to do a recce of this route on Sat 7th May. Starting in Ticknock at 10am.
Mick HanneyMay 5 2011, 3:53pmZoran - you've double booked yourself!
Zoran SkrbaMay 5 2011, 4:00pmI have not! I just wanted to correct the title (the Dublin peaks event thread has the "biking blitz" title, which I did not realise until I posted the message). Eoin is looking into correcting it.
Tamas FarkasJul 21 2011, 7:32pmI intend to recce this route on Saturday 23rd, starting around 10.30am at 168242 (Ticknock). Leisurely pace. Anyone wants to join? 0872348903
Joe LalorAug 25 2011, 6:11pmDublin Peaks Race,race three of the long distance championship will take place on 4th Sept. Race starts at entrance to Ticknock Wood. Race instructions from the events page are reproduced below.

Runners must visit each of the following points, out and back. These points will be manned check points. The route between these points is of the runners choosing.
Start 168242
Fairy Castle 172224
Tibradden 149222
Cruagh 137217
Bog Road 131196
Kippure 116154

This race can be completed entirely on tracks of some sort however the distance at 36km is considerable and route finding could be tricky. The recommended map is the new Dublin & North Wicklow Mountains by East West mapping. Note some runners have managed to complete the course in 31.1km but to do this you will need to go over very rough ground and have good navigational skills

This race will have two cut-off times. 2.30 at check point Bog Road up to Kippure and 4.00 at same check point on way down from Kippure. This is standard practice in long distance races. These times are generously set at 200% of the winning time. Runners failing to meet first cut-off must turn back and those missing the second must take the car back to finish.
Accepting these cut-off times for the Dublin Peaks is a condition of entry. Cut-off times are necessary to.
Protect the safety of runners
To make the decision to call out a search for injured or lost runner more promptly
To reduce the time race officials spend in exposed and remote locations

A basic kit will be required to be carried, irrespective of weather, and will be checked at start and check point Bog Road, failure to produce a jacket here will lead to disqualification. The kit will comprise of water/wind proof jacket (double top will not suffice), emergency food (gels, sweets etc) map or copy of route. There will be a water and feeding station at check point Bog Road and the facility to retire and get a lift back.
Joe LalorAug 29 2011, 8:17pmAll marshalls assigned for Sundays race except one. I need someone to do ckeckpoint on Fairy Castle on the outward leg. They will need to be in place there from about 12.10 to 12.25
Rachel CinnsealachAug 30 2011, 6:05pmHi Joe, Myself and Melanie Earwaker will do summit marshell on fairy castle, outward leg for you if you still need someone?
Joe LalorAug 30 2011, 9:12pmThanks Rachel, that would be great. Could you be in place by 12.10, first runner should arrive by 12.15. You will need pen and paper to record race number and times. I will be using temporary numbers from one up and you will need to synchronise your watch with Aertel or me at start.
Rachel CinnsealachAug 30 2011, 9:49pmHi Joe, We'll be there by 12.00 pm. Will sychronise me watch. My number is 0 eight seven, 25 six 19
zero 6.
Ken CowleySep 1 2011, 7:38amQuick couple of questions;
- I only have mountain runners and road runners, nothing in between. What would people suggest for this race? I prefer to wear mountain runners in the mountains, but the extra support of road runners would be nice for all that mileage..
- Is there an 'early start'? I'm a mid-lower end table runner

Thanks.

Ken
Zoran SkrbaSep 1 2011, 9:14amKen, it really depends on the route you are planning to take.... if you want you can stay mostly on trails, fire roads, and board walks until you get to Kippure where you will be on the bog unless you take the service road up ;) so the ground will be good, apart from Kippure and you could get away with road shoes. But if you go across the heather, forest fire breaks etc. you might need shoes with some more grip. I'll probably wear my Sportiva Crosslites.
Joe LalorSep 1 2011, 4:30pmAnyone not running 25km+ routinely should not consider this race.Early start allowed at 11.30. Cutoff times will apply to all
Ken CowleySep 2 2011, 12:09pmAnyone else thinking of taking the early start?
I'm considering it. I did the Avonbeg in 4.5 hrs earlier in the year, but that included 30 mins of (ahem) going the wrong way.
And I do a sub 4hr marathon.
But nobody wants to be out there all day (least of all the volunteers) - I guess I'd be hoping to do this race in 4.5 hrs or less, and there's always the option of finishing early, as per the race instructions..
I'll get up there in plenty of time anyway, and see what other people are doing..
Thanks Zoran by the way for the advice on the runners, I think I'll wear road runners (for extra support), and take it carefully up and down Kippure.
Ken
Richard NunanSep 4 2011, 6:47pm
Great turn out today for the Dublin Peaks, really enjoyed it,despite the weather.

Thanks to Joe, Brendan, Henny, Charlie, Mike Gomm and fair play to Mick Kellet who was up on Kippure in horrendous weather!!

We may need to have rope as mandatory kit so that people can be pulled out of quicksand like conditions, not that Cormac would stop and use it :-)

Awesome race with lots of different routes, well done Zoran!! super running!!
Pól Ó MurchúSep 4 2011, 7:32pmGreat race today. Well done and thanks to Joe and all the other volunteers. Beating Richard Nunan made it all the more worthwhile. Lol sorry Richard had to get it in there :-)
Paul SmythSep 4 2011, 7:39pmThanks Joe. Special thanks to the summit marshals who gave so freely of their time. I really think for future years though we should forgo marshalls and use SI boxes at the summits for timing. It's a lot to ask for someone to man a summit in bad weather for possibly hours. Thanks again.
Tamas FarkasSep 4 2011, 7:42pmGreat race today, really enjoyed it! The most enjoyable part was Kippure up and down, being exposed to the elements and sometimes getting into the mud up until knees.
Thank you very much to all volunteers!

DALLAS BAIRD, I gather from Tony you are a geologist. I'm considering studying geology and I thought it would be great if I could hear your advice and "pick your brain". My email is farkas_koma@yahoo.de. Thanks a lot, and congratulation for your excellent result in the race!
Joe LalorSep 4 2011, 7:48pmResults for todays race below. I will have checkpoint splits later in the week to see how much passing out there was. Although the weather was not great a big improvement on last year and consequently little drama. A big thank you to those who manned checkpoints especially those on exposed summits.

1 Zoran Skrba 2:52:16
2 Dallas Baird 3:10:35
3 Alan Ayling 3:17:05
4 Don Hannon 3:22:00
5 Torben Dahl 3:23:52
6 Johan Behantschutter 3:29:50
7 Martin Frances 3:43:50
8 Andreas Kusch 3:46:30
9 Tamas Farhar 3:47:30
10 Derek Livingston 3:51:40
11 Paul Smyth 3:54:04
12 Donal Troodyn 3:56:02
13 Pol O’Murchu 3:57:20
14 Richard Nunan 3:59:20
15 Rob Costello 4:01:43
16 Gerard Cunningham 4:03:30
17 Cormac O’Ceallaigh 4:03:42
18 Thomas Galvin 4:41:54
19 David Brady 4:45:40
20 Ken Cowley 4:51:10
21 Barry Tennyson 5:31:32
22 Tadgh Crowley 5:42:30
23 Paul O’Grady 5:46:40

Short Course
1 Niamh O’Ceallaigh 3:29:12
2 Derek Charles 4:28:54
DNF Tony Keely
Ken CowleySep 5 2011, 8:36amAll I can say is, a big well-done to Joe and all the volunteers, possibly the race with the longest demands on summit marshalls in terms of hours, and how Mick didn't freeze to death, get saturated, and/or get blown off the top of Kippure, I'll never know! It was like the end of the world up there, and the mud, jeez the mud.. I took 3 big falls on Kippure (one of them while actually running UP the mountain), and then by the time I reached Fairy Castle, the sun was shining, rain gone, and no wind! The vagaries of an Irish September day I guess..
But, a spectacular race, almost as good as the Ciruit of Avonbeg, and given that my legs appear to be functioning relatively normally today, has me thinking that it's only an extra 14km to do the Wicklow Way Ultra next spring...
cormac o ceallaighSep 5 2011, 10:21amSuper race. Well done to Joe and all the summit marshalls, Rachel & Melanie ,Mike, Brendan, Henny, Charlie and in particular Mick " the pipe" Kellett who was on top of Kippure in gale force 9 and driving rain!
The weather cleared up on the way back . Some good route choices , but a lot depending on the under foot in terms of making good time on them i would submit.Well done to Zoran who has ,make steady and solid progres this year.
Torben DahlSep 5 2011, 11:17am
I also want to say thanks for a great day out there! A good "end of season" race even though my own season will continue... Felt sorry for myself in the rain on the way up Kippure until I saw poor Mick sitting up there - thanks to Joe and all the marshalls, a thankless job being out there for so many hours! Despite the weather I enjoyed the race, the navigation almost felt easy when thinking back on the 3 navigation challenges this season.

Well done Zoran and a great race report you have put up! Next year I hope that your fear will come true and you will see me crossing the finish line before you or maybe just with you. Felt I had a blackout on the way back, nothing seemed to look like it did on the way out, but anyway I managed to keep my distance just under 30k. Looking forward to see the split times. Can’t wait for IMRA 2012 to come!
Tadhg CrowleySep 5 2011, 11:20amA sincere thank you to all the marshalls who made the race possible. Great advantage of being at the back of the field is that we got the best of the afternoon sunshine which eventually broke through! Last year, I made a mistake coming off Cruagh because of the very poor visibility. To complete the course was one of my ambitions for this year and delighted to have done so. Its a wonderful treck across the best of our Dublin hills. Hopefully, more runners will participate next year, particularly if the weather is better. Thanks again to Joe and his team.
Colm HillSep 5 2011, 1:42pmNice one Zoran. 20mins quicker is always good motivation.

Once you get a weather window, the Round will be demolished.
Johan DehantschutterSep 5 2011, 3:03pmReport added.

Thanks again to Joe and all the volunteers who gave up their time to make this event a success. Well done guys, it wasn’t plain sailing, especially for Mick, marshalling the top of Kippure in totally treacherous conditions.
Alan AylingSep 5 2011, 7:10pmLads do you really think Mick would rather be anywhere else?!

Contender for race of the season. Wouldn't be the same in nice conditions!
Zoran SkrbaSep 5 2011, 7:37pm@Alan, that is exactly what I am thinking. It is the hard conditions that make this race what it is.
Joe LalorSep 5 2011, 10:18pmSplits for Dublin Peaks have been sent to webmaster, should be loaded soon.
With 11 early starters (11.30) it makes extracting leg winners this year much more difficult than last year. All the information is there and if someone has more skill and time than me they might be interested in sorting checkpoint times into leg times to see where all the heroics and damage was done. Overall time given for the race should be accurate to the second as the same watch started and finished the race. Leg times may be less accurate as some marshalls did not record seconds and may or may not have synchronised watches.

On the issue of early starters the facility was offered to anyone fearing that they would have difficulty with the cutoff times. It was not expected that so many (or any) strong or middle order runners would avail of it. As in another tread this issue of early starts will need to be looked at in the closed season.

As can be seen from the splits a number of runners did not make contact with Henny on the return leg. Taking into account the conditions and that they where probably there about the time of the handover with Brendan I accept that you were all there. Just as well we were not using electronic or punches.
Kevin O'RiordanSep 5 2011, 10:32pmHi Joe,

The committee discussed the early starts issue and decided that anyone taking the early start option couldn't get a result that was better than 160% of the winner's time. This was mainly in response to people using the early start option to avoid congestion issues on some of the Leinster League races. News post from Dermot here: http://www.imra.ie/news/view/id/526/

I'm not sure if the issue of competitive advantage from taking the early start applies here (it may well do if people faced differing weather conditions etc.) but if you want to apply the 160% rule, I can change the results for you.

Kevin.
Kevin O'RiordanSep 5 2011, 10:34pmSplits here: http://www.imra.ie/ad-hoc/Dublin Peaks splits.doc
Paul O'GradySep 6 2011, 3:50amThank you to Joe and the the marshals for what is a very fitting end of season race. I'm already tweaking my route choices for next year - I definitley think heading down off the side of tibradden and then straight up the side of the zigzags at cruagh woods is the way to go - buckets of time to be saved Vs using the tracks!!

P.S. I arrived at Cruagh at 4.05 but there was no marshall - if that can be added to complete my splits.
Johan DehantschutterSep 6 2011, 9:00amHi Joe,

My own records show that I hit the cairn on Cruagh at 14:40:03 and there was a marshal there to take my time so maybe this has fallen between the cracks. If this can be added to complete my splits that would be great.

Thanks.. Johan