Irish Mountain
Running Association

Wicklow Way Relay

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Cora McCormackMar 22 2011, 3:55pmHello,

I have entered the WWR as part of a team of 8 on two separate occasions and really loved the event and look forward to it each year, last year we missed the registration as the event was fully booked, and while I have been checking the IMRA website regularly to try and register a team for this years WWR, I have not yet seen any reference to when registration is opening.

I have previously emailed Richard Nunan at the IMRA address but I have not received any form of response.

This is a really enjoyable event and I have a willing team of 8 ready to take part, who have all completed their reccy runs and I really do not wish to disappoint them by not being able to register for the event.

Could someone please advise on the status and timing for registrations?

Thanks,
Cora
Mick HanneyMar 27 2011, 1:42pmThe bridge at ironbridge is repaired and accessible to car traffic.
Joe LalorMar 31 2011, 5:20pmAS per normal, wind up for WWR will start about 6 weeks before event 11June.
However it is possible to submitt entry anyime before that. Entry form and address and WWR event page.

Note: event limited to first 30 teams.
charlie lyonsApr 1 2011, 4:51pmJoe good afternoon ( or anyone who can clarify!)

This could be a really stupid question , but what age qualifies as a vet for this race?

I think it's 35 but could be completely wrong.

Thanks
Charlie
Rene BorgApr 1 2011, 5:00pmhi Charles,

they use the IMRA age-groups to determine veterans for the relay so you need to be turning 40 this year to be considered a vet.
charlie lyonsApr 1 2011, 9:01pmThanks for that Rene.
Joe LalorApr 12 2011, 5:36pmWWR Briefing Week 1

It is that time of year again when the annual wind up for the Wicklow Way Relay starts. For the sake of the many new runners let me start with what most of you know well by now. Every week (usually on a Monday night) there is a briefing note issued, be sure to read them all.

The event is limited to 30 teams (10 gone already) to minimise traffic distruption in some very rural areas (if more than one arrives in same post as the 30th they scrape through). No place can be reserved. Teams will be only accepted with signed form (not electronic), fee and names (subs will be allowed in case of injury).

This is the 10th running of the WWR with prices the same as 2002
As most of you know the WWR is a fundraising event for our Junior Squad. As in previous years there is a limit of 30 teams at €15 a runner, but a minimum per team is set at €60 (even if only 2/3 runners)

Get your entry form in: Entry forms can be downloaded from www.imra.ie events page wwr, with details of appropriate fees and return address.

Start training: Over the coming weeks build up your distance, meet others doing the WWR and discuss tactics, and maybe get on a team or pick up new team members.

Consider maps and guides:
Maps: 1. To cover the full route Discovery Series OS 56 and 62 are needed, scale 1:50000

2. The Harvey map of Wicklow (1:30000) has excellent colour definition most. It covers Prince Williams Seat to Lugnaquilla, stages 2 to 5

3. The largest scale map available at 1:25000 is Pat Healy’s map of Glendalough and Glenmalure (healyp@eircom.net)covers stages 4 to 6

4. There are 4 new East / West Maps covering route up to Glenmalure

Guides:1. Wicklow Way Map Guide EastWest Mapping

2. The complete Wicklow Way O'Brien Press

3. OS Wayfarer Series Wicklow Way OS
Niall McAlindenApr 15 2011, 11:56amHi Joe

I have a team that is interested in competing from my club in Scotland. I was wondering if I can arrange to post the entry form but to pay on the day. Its just to avoid posting cash or the expense of getting a euro check in the UK.

You can email me on niallmcalinden (at) gmail (dot) com

Niall
Mick HanneyApr 15 2011, 12:03pmGood luck with the recces in advance Niall ;-)
Joe LalorApr 18 2011, 7:38pmWWR Briefing Week 2

There are only 15 places left in this years WWR, so if you are keen to take part you need to get your entry in. If you have entered you should have received a confirming email from me.

I see from comments on the forum and from some of the entries so far that there is interest from runners new to WWR so I will cover some points very familiar to most of you.

The WW can accommodate more than 30 runners but the minor roads and lanes we use cannot deal with the traffic generated by 30+ teams, hence the event is limited to 30 teams.

Team captains sign that they (and their team) will abide by the rules. One rule states “all runners will have previously done their leg”. It is unsafe for runners and unfair and to the organisers if this is not acted upon.

Most runners treat the WWR as a fun event but it is also a competitive inter club event. Bearing this in mind could I remind you of a rule change that was introduced two years ago. Although substituting runners are allowed up to race start (as long as they are registered IMRA runners and know their route) but once the race starts runners or running order cannot be changed. To spell this out if a runner misses his or her handover another team member cannot run in their place and the team remain competitive.

All runners in the WWR need to be registered with IMRA for insurance reasons. If not allready members for 2011 all this involves is signing a membership form before race day. If runners only intend to run the WWR there is no fee involved.
However if they later wish to do any other IMRA race they need to take out a paid 2011 membership (€10)

At this stage you should have your team selected, each member matched to the distance and terrain of their legs, and training sessions organised. If not you are behind schedule, so you better get cracking.

The best way for runners to become familiar with their leg is to do a training run on the appropriate route. In the past substitute runners were being organised overnight on the weekend of the event. In many cases they had no idea of the nature of the event or knowledge of the route. This puts their safety at risk and can greatly inconvenience the stage end marshall. In picking a team some thought should be given to subs. if required and runners should be asked to make a commitment to the training and preparation required

If you have not finalised your team yet decide how competitively you wish to take the event. The event has been structured to offer a leg for almost any reasonable fit runner. The legs vary from 22 km to 10km and the terrain varies from open mountain to country roads and lanes so it is important to match runners with a leg of suitable distance and terrain rather than with the time of day that might suit somebody.

Joe LalorApr 22 2011, 9:19amWWR Entries closed

This year for some reason there has been an unprecedented early interested in the WWR and unfortunately all the available 30 slots have been allocated. So sadly entry to this event is now closed. If you have not already posted an entry please do not as it will only be returned. I have checked this morning post and have acknowledged all received entries. I have no idea how many are with the postal service and can make no guarantee that when they arrive after the long weekend they will be accommodated.

As I have explained before it is not the number of runners that limits the number of teams allowed but the traffic that they generate. It has been quite an effort over the last 10 years to keep aggrieved residents and users of the small country lanes and roads we use “on side” after complaints about the traffic disruption that we cause for a short time to their ordered lives.

The event has no problem attracting 30 teams each year without any publicity and I imagine could if publicised attract many times that. That scenario would require off road parking at 9 locations. There is possibilities in some of these locations but not in most. So until that logistic nut is cracked we are limited to 30 teams. Sorry to all those disappointed by this.
Richard NunanApr 22 2011, 11:56am
Well Done Joe !!! The early entry and enthusiasm is due to the great work you and Nora have done on this race over the last 10 years.

You deserve great credit on making this a such a successful event now in its 10th year !!

Peter O'FarrellApr 22 2011, 12:13pmWow!
Amazing stuff, just to add to Richard's point this a huge testament to the vision and organisation of Joe and Nora.
Joe, I can probably do handover marshall at one of the early stages if you want.

On a more selfish note I have 8 runners in all required caregories straining for a run should any of ye 30 teams be short a runner :)

cheers,

Peter
Ken CowleyApr 22 2011, 4:04pmIs there any sort of waiting list an individual can go on? Would love to run a leg of this race..
Ken
Joe LalorApr 22 2011, 4:34pmKen, If previous years are anything to go by there will be a huge drop out of runners due to injury. With such a long run in to the event this year that will be even be more likely the case this year. There is no formal substitution list of runners, team leaders advertise on this forum for subs. required but bear in mind length of leg and terrain when accepting a run.
Brian McArdleApr 28 2011, 10:35amHi Joe,

Our team sent in the application a couple days before the entries closed ... but I suspect it was held up with An-Post over the long weekend as we've not heard back. Did we just squeeze in?

Would be great to run it again this year.

Brian
Rene BorgApr 29 2011, 6:33pmIf anyone is interested in a recce of leg 7 on Sunday give me a shout at zarrock60 at hotmail dot com .
Turlough ConwayApr 29 2011, 11:50pmLast year Brendan Doherty and myself noticed a good deal of rubbish on leg 2. We organised a clean up and Christina Sherlock, Caroline Reid, Brendan and myself collected and disposed of many bags worth over a saturday. Ill post some pics on last years event to show.
Anyway the good news is that this section is still in pretty good nick.
Collectively mountain runners will be reccing every metre of the route several times this presents an excellent opportunity for a quick clean up of the entire Wicklow way and to help us keep our country green and clean.
Could i suggest each reccing group carrying a plastic bag in their pack and picking up any stray litter they may come across?
This shouldnt cause any delay as its fairly clean but would result in the WW being spotless for ours and others enjoyment.
Joe LalorMay 2 2011, 5:04pmAttention Brian McArdle

Brian, I acknowledged receipt of your entry on 22/4 (you are team 26). The email you gave on your form has no "e" in your name, is this correct? If you have not received my email could you contact me at jlalor(at)eircom.net with your correct emalil address.
Joe LalorMay 9 2011, 5:28pmList of Teams and runners has been sent to web master and should be active shortly on WWR event page. Could Team Leaders check that team name and runners are spelt correctly and categories are correct?

One Team has offered no name and several will be running uncompetitively. This means they do not have the required number of lady or vets runners. This is perfectly allowable but they will not be in the running for prizes according to the rules.

As I have stated previously all runners must be members of IMRA for insurance reasons. If not already a member for 2011 you may do this by running an IMRA race before June 11th or signing IMRA form before race day (no fee for day membership).
Membership forms may be downloaded from site, see tab at bottom on home page.
I would prefer if team leaders looked after this requirement before hand and sent me sighed memberships by post. I will accept them on the day BEFORE race starts. Race marshalls are instructed not to allow a runner to start if not a member as he/she is not covered by public liability insurance.

This note has also been sent to all emails supplied by team leaders, if you did not receive one please contact me (jlalor(at)eircom.net)
Mick HanneyMay 21 2011, 1:56pmHi. Recced leg 2 today. Running along the river between Knockree and Crone we encounterd a gate thats always open to the pull. Not today - it was closed. Secured with tape. Not sure if its a permanent fixture. Or the tape can be cut on the day.
Clare SullivanMay 21 2011, 3:31pmHi!

I'm happy to volunteer to help out at the WW relay if more volunteers are needed since I'm not running. I don't have a myirma account, any chance someone could set me up on one so I can access the volunteering page?

Clare
Joe LalorMay 22 2011, 8:02pmUpdate to WWR teams will be live shortly.

Clare, thanks for offer of help on the day, could you contact me at jlalor(at)eircom.net
Anyone else interesting in helping I could do with a few for volunteers, particularally those available after 12.00

Training and route recees should be well underway, if not you are behind schedule.

All teams are complete but most would contain runners not registered with IMRA yet this year. As mentioned previously there are two way to rectify this.
1. Run an IMRA race before June 11th.
2. Send a signed membership form to address on entry form (no fee involved for day membership). Nearer the day of the race I will sent team leaders a reminder of any unregistered runner they may still have at that stage. Unfortunately IMRA cannot allow any unregistered runner to partake as they would not be covered by public liability insurance and would put your organisation at risk.
Rene BorgMay 23 2011, 8:44amApologies in advance as this was probably answered last year but couldn't find it: Could the organiser's confirm that on leg 6 we use the new boardwalks down through the forest and the grassy trail rather than the old exit from Drumgoff forest onto the military road.

It seems there is ample chance of someone accidentally exiting on the "old route" and they would have a fair advantage over someone using the new path (although the new path must be commended for being a much nicer transition into the tarmac and great that it shortens that spell too), so if it could be clarified whether the new or the old part is used that would avoid any confusion.

Thanks!
Eamonn HodgeMay 24 2011, 6:03pmAlso looking for clarification on leg 6.

After the boardwalk through the forest do we go straight onto the road or follow the path that leads parallel to the road?

Eamonn
irene walshMay 24 2011, 8:13pmhi... if anyone is looking for a runner for the wwr i am available 0857371581 is the no. or 012352895 ....manny thanks
Jeff FitzsimonsMay 24 2011, 11:35pmI seem to remember that last year the option of running along the road was given.
Lavana ChamneyMay 26 2011, 11:17amRecced Leg 6 yesterday eve Drumgoff to Ironbridge. Near the end, after military rd section as you reach the crest of the last hill in the forest the ww path is currently under construction and a machine & stock piles are on the ww blocking the path for about 20 metres - Will works be complete before 11th?
Rene BorgMay 26 2011, 11:37amhi Lavana,

Three of us recced leg 6 this weekend and we did notice a few machines and a bit of work but nothing that blocked the official Wicklow Way in any place. There was some heavy machinery close to where the new boardwalks swings left into the forest but it was not blocking the entry (it was distracting though, as we were so busy looking at it and the felling that we missed the left turn the first time!).
Joe LalorMay 26 2011, 12:46pmRe route of leg6 near boardwalk, I will issue a ruling after I get a "looksee"
Tony KeelyMay 27 2011, 4:20pmHi Joe thanks for getting me set up,i am available for WW relay volunteer where ever you need,thanks Tony
Paul JoyceMay 30 2011, 1:14pmBoards B team are looking for a female runner for leg 4, to cover our injured runner (get well soon Izzy!). We'll be targeting a top 10 place, to give some idea of standard, and will shower any willing participant with much love and chocolate foodstuffs. My email is joyceart at gmail dot com, for anyone interested, thanks :)
Cora McCormackMay 31 2011, 8:31amHello,

We were unable to enter a team in time for the 2010 WWR, but i recall from the previous year that there were some group starts further down the relay route. What is the plan for group starts this year, are they likely and from which legs?

Thanks in advance,
Cora
Paul JoyceMay 31 2011, 5:07pm^ That female runner for Boards B has been filled now, thanks to the help of a gent and his little black book, very sporting of you as always Peter.
Joe LalorMay 31 2011, 5:18pmUnofficial teams in WWR

The reason the WWR is restricted to 30 teams is that from experience it is deemed that the traffic this number of teams generates is the maximum that the area can handle without causing congestion and bad publicity for us.

I understand that a number of teams are considering of running unofficially. Have you thought this through? Could I ask you to consider the consequences of this?
Joe LalorJun 2 2011, 8:21amA few points re leg 6

Leg 6 starts (leg 5 finished) at entrance to parking field rather that at cross roads. This is for safely reasons and makes negligible difference to length of either route.

Shorty after start as route enters forest Coillte are carrying out work, I don’t expected this to impact on race but be aware of ongoing work.

Later as forest track approach the military road there is (as mentioned on the forum) a new boardwalk. This is now part of the Wicklow Way and as such must be used. It will add about 2 minutes to route. It is pleasant to run on and is well mapped on the new East / West Glendalough Glenmalure map. This section will be manned to see this is complied with (I am looking for a volunteer to do this, must be prepared to disqualify or send people back). Route as before now runs parallel to Wicklow Way and as this is frequently waterlogged running on the road, as usual is allowed, it offers no time advantage.
Ken CowleyJun 3 2011, 9:30amAny team out there looking for a male runner?
I'm a mid field plodder - usually about 160% of the winning times.

Thanks

Ken
Michael DevineJun 8 2011, 1:50pmMaking my self available as a substitute runner for this. Call me if needed @ 086 3150411.
Joe LalorJun 8 2011, 10:23pmAlmost there, final teams list should be on site shortly. The last few weeks of recces and races have resulted in many changes due to injury. Most registrations are in, anyone still not registered for 2011 needs to fill out membership form before being allowed to run for insurance reasons.

Note some last minute points
Could runners make sure that they know their team number and who they are taking over from and handing on to. In some cases knowledge of this was poor last year.
See forum note above re finish leg5 / start leg6 and new boardwalk on leg 6

Over the 11 hours that the course will be open the weather could be very varied, so be prepared for either extremes.

Most of the problems that we have had over the years related to traffic management, so could teams make some effort to limit the numbers of cars used.

Remember for a team to remain competitive there can be no change to personnel or running order from the starting list.

Prize giving will be at Kennys (Parkview) Shillelagh at around 4.30. I know not all will have finished by then but others will have been finished since 2.00

Most important of all enjoy yourselves and be safe.
Lindie NaughtonJun 9 2011, 11:11amWhat time is mass start at Drumgoff? 1pm?
Joe LalorJun 9 2011, 2:03pmMass start in Drumgoff is at 1.15

This means that any runner still left waiting at 1.15 must start before their handover runner arrives. Their team total time will be adjusted later.
The purpose of this is to prevent the event running on for too long and marshalls having to man checkpoints for many hours.
Joe LalorJun 9 2011, 10:59pmA big thank you to everyone. I got most of the outstanding registration forms in today. There are about 7 still missing, I will accept scanned copies (written signitures not printed). I have emailed the team leaders concerned.
I have updated my database with all the changes this may not get uploaded on site before the race. Then again who knows what changes will arrive in tomorrows post.
Joe LalorJun 10 2011, 6:33amFinal Briefing. Parking

At this stage of the run-in to WWR I have over the years said a few words about parking
Before I deal with the issue in detail could I make the following point? The success and future of this popular event without exaggerate depends on our parking behaviour, every year we have some complaints. So could team leaders make sure all, particularly new comers, to the event see and take heed of the following

Most of the WW is in remote rural areas. We try to restrict our impact on the local population. We can do this by keeping the number of cars to as few as possible and parking correctly.

There is not a major parking issue in Kilmasogue (although I would not advise leaving a car overnight).

At Curtlestown there is limited parking. Please do not block in an already parked car or park just outside the parking area as there are two bad blind bends, rather find safe parking and walk back.

At Old Bridge there are new houses at the cross, however beyond the cross (right) towards Lough Dan there are two areas for walkers parking with about 5 minutes walk back to the cross.

Glendalough. The change over here is on the Green Road. Please keep the entrance to the interpretative centre clear.

This year the owners of the Glenmalure Lodge Hotel do not want us to park in their customers car park but very generously have offered us a field free of charge to park in. So please ALL traffic connected to WWR please go through cross and park in first field on left. New this year the change over is at enterence to this field

The parking at Iron Bridge is very tight. No VANS please, I have mentioned this before!!! We must expect the worst (as happened four years ago) a timber truck and trailer needed to get through and could not.

At the Derry River due to persistent bad parking we lost access (and local good will) to the bridge area and leg 7 had to be extended. As of the last two years parking is in Crossbridge only. Absolutely no parking at Derry River bridge (even for spectating) and no cars up narrow laneway that runners take to handover. If you don’t understand these instructions please find out. Leg 7 is across private land and permission to use this can be withdrawn at any time and is dependent on these agreed parking arrangements being followed.

The weather can be very unpredictable so be prepared for heat or storms. Leg 4 breaks out suddenly on two public roads, take care. Best of luck have a great time.

Nora LalorJun 10 2011, 9:26amBest of luck to everyone running WWR tomorrow , remember follow the "Little Yellow Men" if you dont see one for a while or cant find one at a junction retrace your steps until you do, they are there (except for last leg which will be marked)heading into the unmaked unknown or taking a corrective detour not a healthy option.Be careful out there!
Nora LalorJun 10 2011, 2:56pmAs Joe said earlier car pooling & safe parking paramount for this event, dont block gates & never pull into or stop at someone’s driveway. Remember when parking in a line of cars, if your car is there for a while & the others pull away you could be left very exposed. We saw a few of these sticking out like sore thumbs on way down last year.
Remember to make sure the Marshall gets your team number, not name, often in the excitement of finishing & getting next runner off the marshall is visually & aurally blocked if you want your time right make sure they hear the number of your team when you finish.
Paul JoyceJun 11 2011, 6:52pmAll hail the new Rathfarnham overlords, worthy winners of this years WW relay, in a fantastic record time. Some fierce fast legs from them, and, more importantly, not an errant turn among them, all safely home and accounted for under the strict supervision of their determined captain. Hunger is a great sauce, as they say.

To Joe and Nora, a fitting finale to your ten years in charge, and all volunteers, thanks for making this day such a success.
James HigginsJun 11 2011, 9:16pmiPod Found

Hi, I found an iPod in the car Park in the pub in Shillelagh. If it is yours can you let me know - 086 three 263139.

Big thanks to Joe and Nora for organising todays race (and indeed for doing it for the last ten years). Also thanks to all the marshals who gave up their Saturday to run this.

James
Brendan LawlorJun 11 2011, 9:22pmGreat day (as usual), best event of the year - the rescue teams having to rescue one of their own, Bernard Fortunes lost four minutes, the sprint finish for second place and of course Rathfarnham's truly impressive win and new record are just the highlights!

Thank you Joe and Nora for 10 great WW Relay's - you'll be a tough act to follow!
David BradshawJun 11 2011, 9:31pmGreat day, well done all.
A few pics from today
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25938822@N07/sets/72157626937792148/
Joe LalorJun 12 2011, 10:04amA huge thanks to all the marshalls yesterday without whom there would be no event.

I hope to present provisional results for each leg here on the forum first. Could you notify me (jlalor at eircom.net) of any name changes we missed, typos or disputed times. The watch that started the event was the same as that finished so overall team result should be accurate to the second. All other watches were syncronised with Aertel so should not be too far off so I dont necessarly want to hear that your Garmin disagrees by a few seconds.

Leg 1 Provisional Result

TEAM NAME Leg1 RUNNER Time
27 Rathfarmham WSAF Brian Furey M 56:26
8 Motley Cru Richard Healy M 58:28
13 Bulletin Boards Kevin Keane M 59:14
24 All the Presidents Men Cormac Conway M40 59:22
11 Ready SET Oh Gerry Lalor M40 61:20
23 Nifty Fifties Gerard Malone M50 61:29
25 UCD 22 Amidou Dembele M 64:38
14 Boards Bizzy Bees John Ahern M 65:15
17 Mullaghmeen Warriors Eamonn Fitzsimons M 67:03
21 My Left Foot Brian Flannelly M 71:05
10 The Wicklow Pain Train Simon Monds M 71:14
1 Bravehearts Danny Byrne M 71:26
19 Here 's Patrick Des Noonan M40 73:22
16 Athenry Assassins Johnny O'Connor M 74:46
2 Fluffy Ducks Taria Shirley F 74:47
4 Mostly Walshes Derek Walsh M 75:05
15 Le Cheile Brendan Murphy M 75:12
20 The Fraggle Rockers Kevin Magee M 77:09
3 No pressure Brendan Cummins M60 77:44
22 A Murder of Crows Paula Keohan F 80:27
18 Coureur des Bois John Roche M40 80:35
7 Dublin & Wicklow MRT 2 Diarmuid O'Colmain M60 80:39
6 Dublin & Wicklow MRT 1 Pat Reid M50 80:47
5 Doozers Bill Coyle M 82:22
9 Class of '94 Fergus Hyland M 83:15
28 Wicklow Waysters Seamus Lagan M 84:30
12 Where's Patrick? Rosemary Monahan F 85:55
26 Looking for release Denis Hogan M40 88:03
30 The French Connection Jean-Yves Coquan M50 95:46
29 3ROC 'N' Rollers Nadya Dunne F40 97:56

Joe LalorJun 12 2011, 10:23amProvisional Leg 2 Result

TEAM No NAME Leg 2 Runner Time
8 Motley Cru Ian Conroy M 65:36
27 Rathfarmham WSAF Kevin Bolger M 69:23
24 All the Presidents Men John Mc Enri M40 70:54
23 Nifty Fifties Pat McCavana M50 72:11
13 Bulletin Boards Joe Cawley M40 73:09
25 UCD 22 Zoran Skrba M 73:37
17 Mullaghmeen Warriors Robert Caffrey M 73:44
14 Boards Bizzy Bees Mick Hanney M40 76:53
10 The Wicklow Pain Train Joe Mooney M 76:58
3 No pressure Joe Smollen M 79:54
2 Fluffy Ducks Ollie Kearney M 81:25
15 Le Cheile Tony Brennan M40 82:14
19 Here 's Patrick Patrick Marshall M 82:16
12 Where's Patrick? Ronan Hickey M 82:20
9 Class of '94 Kyran O'Neil M 83:03
28 Wicklow Waysters Jonathan O'Malley M 83:45
11 Ready SET Oh Sean Hassett M40 84:30
16 Athenry Assassins Michael Rice M40 88:20
22 A Murder of Crows Melanie Earwaker F 88:21
5 Doozers Sean Egan M 88:43
21 My Left Foot Stuart Scott M 91:46
7 Dublin & Wicklow MRT 2 Brendan Lawlor M40 92:38
4 Mostly Walshes Colin Walsh M40 93:45
30 The French Connection Laurent Rouziere M 95:59
1 Bravehearts Brian Cully M50 97:25
18 Coureur des Bois Derek Charles M40 97:58
6 Dublin & Wicklow MRT 1 Declan Cunningham M 98:53
29 3ROC 'N' Rollers Eoin Dunne M40 102:20
20 The Fraggle Rockers Pol O'Murchu M 103:10
26 Looking for release Brian Dowling M50 109:13

Mick HanneyJun 12 2011, 10:31amWhat a great day and what a tremendous event. For the result to be so close at the end too is incredible. Obviously some fantastic performances throughout the day. Well done to all.

Thank you first and foremost to Joe and Nora. Thanks too to the helpers at each stage who gave up the chances to run themselves to support the event and make it possible. Thanks to the teams who make this a great event. Lastly, thanks for the link to the brillant photos David. Some really great snaps in there.
Joe LalorJun 12 2011, 10:38amLeg 3 Provisional results

TEAM No NAME Leg 3 Runner Time
27 Rathfarmham WSAF Eilis Connery F 31:20
23 Nifty Fifties Helen White F40 31:51
22 A Murder of Crows Cillin Corbett MJ 32:51
12 Where's Patrick? Karen O'Hanlon F 33:03
24 All the Presidents Men Mary Dawson F 33:19
13 Bulletin Boards Vanessa Sallier F 33:45
18 Coureur des Bois Zeo Melling M40 33:59
14 Boards Bizzy Bees Maria Dolan F 34:27
10 The Wicklow Pain Train Richard Finnegan M 35:11
8 Motley Cru Maura Ni Chearbhaill F 35:33
17 Mullaghmeen Warriors Maureen Getty F40 36:25
1 Bravehearts Ann Tobin F50 36:41
25 UCD 22 Grainne Connor F 36:55
26 Looking for release Gavin Finlay M 37:50
19 Here 's Patrick Des Noonan M40 38:13
6 Dublin & Wicklow MRT 1 Ger Ward F 39:30
2 Fluffy Ducks Pat O'Dea M40 39:43
11 Ready SET Oh Colleen Robonson F 40:25
3 No pressure Marty Corbett M40 40:37
9 Class of '94 Ian Larkin M 40:41
15 Le Cheile Fiona Hearld F40 40:49
28 Wicklow Waysters Ann Heffernan F 46:18
16 Athenry Assassins Maire O'Connor F 47:29
30 The French Connection Isabelle Coquan F50 47:35
29 3ROC 'N' Rollers Emma McAuley F 47:50
7 Dublin & Wicklow MRT 2 Ger Murphy F 48:35
21 My Left Foot Rachel Cinnsealach F 49:50
5 Doozers Fand Cooney F40 52:23
4 Mostly Walshes Kevin Walsh M50 55:57
20 The Fraggle Rockers Aoife Mundow F 56:39

Joe LalorJun 12 2011, 11:01amLeg 4 Provisional Results

TEAM No NAME Leg 4 Runner Time
27 Rathfarmham WSAF John Brennan M40 40:11
23 Nifty Fifties Lucy Darcy F40 44:27
14 Boards Bizzy Bees Derval Devaney F 45:05
8 Motley Cru Aoife Joyce F 46:01
24 All the Presidents Men Jenny Mc Cauley F 46:05
1 Bravehearts Dermot Leonard M 46:45
10 The Wicklow Pain Train Niall Larkin M 50:56
13 Bulletin Boards Suzanne Kenny F 50:57
11 Ready SET Oh Paul Keville M 51:08
12 Where's Patrick? Misha Paturyan M 53:30
25 UCD 22 Emma Sokell F40 54:39
17 Mullaghmeen Warriors Laurence Briody M 54:42
21 My Left Foot Val Jones M50 54:56
30 The French Connection Liz Ryan F40 59:02
19 Here 's Patrick Des Noonan M40 59:07
22 A Murder of Crows Martina Nolan F 59:29
2 Fluffy Ducks Paschal Corcoran M40 60:54
29 3ROC 'N' Rollers John McCullough M50 61:18
4 Mostly Walshes Melanie Walsh F40 61:48
28 Wicklow Waysters John Quinn M40 62:43
16 Athenry Assassins Martina Pasman F40 63:55
9 Class of '94 Ken Devlin M 64:31
3 No pressure Hugh O'Neill M40 64:50
15 Le Cheile Cathy Walsh F40 65:13
26 Looking for release Eamonn Forbes M 65:24
5 Doozers Brigitte Egan F 66:14
7 Dublin & Wicklow MRT 2 Michelle Clark F 67:23
18 Coureur des Bois Mags Dwyer F 78:06
20 The Fraggle Rockers Laura Noonan F 88:02
6 Dublin & Wicklow MRT 1 Jo Madden F DNF

Joe LalorJun 12 2011, 11:19amLeg 5 Provisional Results

TEAM No NAME Leg 5 Runner Time
13 Bulletin Boards Colm Hill M 54:40
27 Rathfarmham WSAF Peter O'Farrell M 55:19
12 Where's Patrick? Tim Richards M 58:00
25 UCD 22 Greg Byrne M 59:43
8 Motley Cru Tony Collins M 61:57
24 All the Presidents Men Bernard Fortune M40 62:56
14 Boards Bizzy Bees Angus Tyner M 63:58
10 The Wicklow Pain Train Daragh Page M 64:19
22 A Murder of Crows Brian Corbett M50 67:33
17 Mullaghmeen Warriors Martin Briody M 68:58
5 Doozers Brian Phelan M40 70:02
6 Dublin & Wicklow MRT 1 Gareth Little M 70:57
29 3ROC 'N' Rollers Eoin McCullough M 71:17
11 Ready SET Oh Hazel Thompson F 72:04
19 Here 's Patrick Patrick Marshall M 72:31
16 Athenry Assassins Aoife Callan F 74:12
30 The French Connection Eddie Daly M40 74:18
9 Class of '94 Martin Searsom M 77:06
4 Mostly Walshes Patrick Walsh M 77:48
3 No pressure Lauana Chamney F 78:59
1 Bravehearts David Hawcroft M60 82:09
7 Dublin & Wicklow MRT 2 Fearghal Bracken M 82:25
28 Wicklow Waysters Stephanie Barnewell F 82:58
15 Le Cheile Veronica Dunne F 83:41
2 Fluffy Ducks Cora McCormack F 84:34
21 My Left Foot Sharon Lucey F 85:56
20 The Fraggle Rockers James Higgins M40 88:20
18 Coureur des Bois Kathleen Cheshire F40 96:31
26 Looking for release Konrad Blocher M 97:25
23 Nifty Fifties Martin McDonald M50 98:33

Joe LalorJun 12 2011, 11:27amLeg 6 results not to hand yet, more later
Melanie WalshJun 12 2011, 11:40amThanks to everyone involved for a very well organised race and a great day. I also appreciate being able to follow our results on a Sunday morning :). Thanks. Melanie.
Niall LarkinJun 12 2011, 12:58pmFirstly, thanks to Joe, Nora and all the volunteers for organising for the past ten years. What a fantastic event - without doubt my favorite race of the year. Congrats to Rathfarnham on the new record and to all the teams for making it such a good day.
Ronan HickeyJun 12 2011, 1:09pmJust wanted to echo the thanks to Joe, Nora and all their volunteers. As always it's the best race of the calendar. Had a blast...and damn glad we ran it in the windless sunshine yesterday rather than the squall today!
Joe LalorJun 12 2011, 1:27pmGlad it is not on today

Provisional Results leg8

TEAM No NAME Leg 8 Runner Time
13 Bulletin Boards Ian McGrath M 36:12
23 Nifty Fifties Tom O'Connor M50 37:26
8 Motley Cru Declan Horan M40 39:25
27 Rathfarmham WSAF Donna Mahon F 39:28
24 All the Presidents Men Dermot Murphy M 43:07
14 Boards Bizzy Bees Dominic Horan M40 44:13
11 Ready SET Oh Ben Mangan M 44:32
12 Where's Patrick? Stephen Coller M 45:02
21 My Left Foot Laura Schwirz F 45:47
19 Here 's Patrick Patrick Marshall M 45:58
17 Mullaghmeen Warriors David Briody M 46:40
15 Le Cheile Des Walsh M40 47:26
25 UCD 22 Denis Patterson M40 47:30
1 Bravehearts Maureen Lowther F40 48:44
16 Athenry Assassins Janet Clancy F 49:49
20 The Fraggle Rockers Jim Fitzharris M50 50:10
4 Mostly Walshes Stephen Walsh M40 50:16
30 The French Connection Jean Bader F40 51:02
5 Doozers Catherine Byrne F 51:09
7 Dublin & Wicklow MRT 2 Wayne Jenkins M 51:32
2 Fluffy Ducks Louise Tyrell F 52:08
18 Coureur des Bois Ken Cowley M 52:42
6 Dublin & Wicklow MRT 1 Claire Collins F40 54:21
3 No pressure Victoria Howlett F 54:27
10 The Wicklow Pain Train Ken Larkin M 54:49
22 A Murder of Crows Sarah Ni Ruairc F 57:26
28 Wicklow Waysters Liadh Conway F 58:00
26 Looking for release Derek Fogarty M 58:03
9 Class of '94 Lorcan O'Connor M 58:16
29 3ROC 'N' Rollers Lindie Naughton F50 87:51

Joe LalorJun 12 2011, 1:39pmProvisional Team Totals

TEAM No NAME Total Time
27 Rathfarmham WSAF 07:03:13
8 Motley Cru 07:36:13
13 Bulletin Boards 07:36:22
24 All the Presidents Men 07:52:30
23 Nifty Fifties 08:08:52
14 Boards Bizzy Bees 08:10:08
17 Mullaghmeen Warriors 08:27:10
25 UCD 22 08:28:55
10 The Wicklow Pain Train 08:30:47
11 Ready SET Oh 08:37:10
12 Where's Patrick? 08:48:12
1 Bravehearts 09:15:55
15 Le Cheile 09:22:15
22 A Murder of Crows 09:32:46
3 No pressure 09:35:37
16 Athenry Assassins 09:38:01
2 Fluffy Ducks 09:41:05
19 Here 's Patrick 09:41:51
21 My Left Foot 09:51:08
5 Doozers 09:53:28
9 Class of '94 10:05:26
6 Dublin & Wicklow MRT 1 10:06:43
4 Mostly Walshes 10:11:57
7 Dublin & Wicklow MRT 2 10:24:29
30 The French Connection 10:29:46
29 3ROC 'N' Rollers 10:35:27
28 Wicklow Waysters 10:35:35
26 Looking for release 10:46:25
18 Coureur des Bois 10:48:33
20 The Fraggle Rockers 11:10:37

Joe LalorJun 12 2011, 2:20pmCorrection to leg8 Lindie Naughton should read 70:13 giving Team 3ROC a total of 10:17:19
Lindie NaughtonJun 12 2011, 2:26pmThank you Joe - on all fronts!
Struggling with my cameras, but will put up a few pics when I get them
Joe LalorJun 12 2011, 8:00pmProvisional Results Leg6

TEAM No NAME Leg 6 Runner TIME
8 Motley Cru Des Kennedy M40 53:58
27 Rathfarmham WSAF Padraig Mac Croistal M40 54:09
13 Bulletin Boards Paul Nolan M40 56:13
14 Boards Bizzy Bees Jeff Fitzsimmons M 58:37
23 Nifty Fifties Jimmy Synott M50 58:57
24 All the Presidents Men Eamonn Hodge M 60:14
12 Where's Patrick? Bob Lawlor M40 61:39
25 UCD 22 Mike Long M40 63:01
11 Ready SET Oh Terry Lawless M40 63:36
15 Le Cheile Patrick Kenny M 64:00
22 A Murder of Crows Rob McEvoy M 65:08
1 Bravehearts John Doyle M 65:29
10 The Wicklow Pain Train Catherine King F 66:08
3 No pressure Fran Morrison M40 67:14
17 Mullaghmeen Warriors Anna Edgeworth F 72:14
4 Mostly Walshes Deirdre Ni Cearbhaill F 72:42
16 Athenry Assassins Deirdre Quinn F 73:55
7 Dublin & Wicklow MRT 2 John Dowling M 74:02
30 The French Connection Adam Anderson M40 74:33
5 Doozers Colm Phelan M40 76:36
29 3ROC 'N' Rollers Martin Price M50 77:02
2 Fluffy Ducks Philip McCormack M 78:42
26 Looking for release Matt Dawson M 79:52
9 Class of '94 James McCool M 83:50
6 Dublin & Wicklow MRT 1 Dave Williams M 85:27
20 The Fraggle Rockers Paul Morrissey M 86:39
19 Here 's Patrick Patrick Marshall M 86:48
21 My Left Foot Dave Richardson M50 88:22
18 Coureur des Bois Kalle de Waal F 90:59
28 Wicklow Waysters Donna McGrath F 101:41

Joe LalorJun 12 2011, 8:13pmProvisional Results Leg7

TEAM NAME Leg 7 Runner Time
27 Rathfarmham WSAF Barry Minnock M 76:57
23 Nifty Fifties Mick Byrne M50 83:58
17 Mullaghmeen Warriors Gerard Heery M40 87:24
29 3ROC 'N' Rollers Ger Butler M 89:53
10 The Wicklow Pain Train Andrew Hayes M 91:12
13 Bulletin Boards Gary Condon M40 92:12
8 Motley Cru Rene Borg M 95:15
24 All the Presidents Men Martin Francis M50 96:33
11 Ready SET Oh Kevin O'Riordan M 99:35
14 Boards Bizzy Bees Paul Joyce M40 101:40
21 My Left Foot Mirjam Pllik F 103:26
15 Le Cheile Jarleth Hynes M40 103:40
6 Dublin & Wicklow MRT 1 David Butler M 104:58
16 Athenry Assassins Ray Somers 105:35
5 Doozers Robin Brady M40 105:59
1 Bravehearts Declan Swords M40 107:16
26 Looking for release Brian McArdle M 107:35
12 Where's Patrick? Brendan Murray M40 108:43
2 Fluffy Ducks Michael Kane M 108:52
25 UCD 22 Eoin Syron M 108:52
3 No pressure Ross Dignam M 111:52
9 Class of '94 David Saville M 114:44
28 Wicklow Waysters Gerard Cunningham M40 115:40
18 Coureur des Bois Justin Kelly M 117:45
20 The Fraggle Rockers Barry Cormack M 120:28
22 A Murder of Crows Mary Collins F50 121:31
19 Here 's Patrick Des Noonan M40 123:36
4 Mostly Walshes Eileen Walsh F40 124:36
7 Dublin & Wicklow MRT 2 Mick O'Donnell M 127:15
30 The French Connection Pascal Pragnere M 131:31
Tony BrennanJun 12 2011, 10:14pmWell done all on a fantastic event - my first time taking part and will certainly not be my last. There are some pics of the event here taken with my camera http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonybren/sets/72157626944730852/

Tony.
Patrick KennyJun 13 2011, 9:12amReally fantastic event, thanks a million to all who organised it.
Some more photos here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/63974346@N07/

Patrick K.

Jeff FitzsimonsJun 13 2011, 9:32amThanks a million to Joe and Nora for all their efforts. What a great event.

If anyone came across a Columbia red and black half zip fleece in the field at Glenmalure please let me know. I think I left it down by the boot of the car that was at the entrance to the field.
Jim FitzharrisJun 13 2011, 9:52amJeff,

Mick Kellett, one of the marshals at Drumgoff, picked that up and has it in his car.

Cheers,

Jim.
Gary CondonJun 13 2011, 11:50amA superb event that has become the highlight of my running year. A top-notch job by all of the marshalls/volunteers and competitors. Thanks IMRA for facilitating such a great race, and Joe and Nora for making it the race that it is.
Brian McArdleJun 13 2011, 3:13pmA big thanks to Joe, Nora and all the other marshals and organisers for another great run.

This is the 7th year we've out in a team and it continues to surprise by being even better each year. Whilst we're never going to threaten the leaders (or those in mid table!) we had a great day ... and even managed to knocked 20 minutes off our previous best time and raise a some cash for the Jack & Jill Foundation.

Team "Looking for re-lease": 27th place and chuffed with it
Jeff FitzsimonsJun 13 2011, 3:24pmCheers Jim, will get in touch with Mick and arrange collection. No doubt he will be at Lug or another championship race shortly.
Ian mcgrathJun 13 2011, 3:53pmJust wanted to echo all the comments before. This was my frist time running in this event, incredible. Still buzzing. Thanks to Joe and Nora, brilliant show. Will be back next year.
marie O CONNORJun 13 2011, 9:34pmThanks a million Joe and Nora and all organisers for such a great race. I have never competed in such a race before!! What a brilliant concept! Congrats to all who took part, I hope to compete against ye again!
Gerry BradyJun 13 2011, 11:58pmOn average, the slowest team is taking around 50% longer than the fastest team. Hence by using two starts around 90 minutes apart, marshalls in the second half of the race will be able to arrive for duty around 90 minutes later than if all teams had started together. This will mean sign-posting of the last road leg etc. can be delayed by 90 minutes. Mass starts could also be avoided hence teams would not have two runners out on the course on different legs at the same time which is demanding on their resources and raises a possible safety issue.

Would there be increased congestion at the leg 6 handover? The current use of a mass start on leg 5 creates some congestion at the finish of the leg. So the outcome is not clear-cut. The simplest solution though is to, where possible, keep teams out on the course until they know their runner is coming towards the end of a leg. On leg 6, teams could park on the road stretch that links both forests and wait for their runner to pass through before moving on to Iron Bridge.

The early start will allow more teams to be present for the prize-giving (by the way, it was very gentlemanly of Rathfarnham to leave the 7 hours barrier for Clonliffe to break next year :-)

In summary it is a great event, there is nothing that really needs to be changed apart from teams delaying their arrival to a few handover points. Thanks Joe and Nora for all the fun over the ten years.
John RoweJun 16 2011, 9:55amThanks to Joe, Nora and everyone else involved in organising another fantastic event. For all of us on the team, it turns out to be the high point of our year.

John
Trim Bravehearts
Diarmuid O'ColmainJun 21 2011, 6:02pmJeff,
Mick gave me the fleece on Sunday to see if I could find the owner - I was just about to put a notice on the forum when I saw your post.
Unfortunately I won't be at Sorrel Hill, I will be at Seefingan; so if you're at Seefingan you can get it off me there, otherwise let me know how else I can get it to you. docolmain at gmail dot com

Diarmuid
Jim FitzharrisJun 21 2011, 6:07pmI forgot to mention that I found a top at Glendalough (end of leg 4, start of leg 5) on the day of the race. It was left on the bench at the handover point.

It is navy in colour, long-sleeved with a short zip and no logos.

I plan to be at the next few IMRA races so let me know if it is yours.

Cheers,

Jim.
Jeff FitzsimonsJun 22 2011, 8:35amCheers Diarmuid, I plan to be at Seefingan so will get it then. Will be glad of something warm if this weather persists!
diarmuid O'ColmainJun 30 2011, 3:00pmJeff,
will you give me a buzz about your jacket so you can be reunited. I could fall in love with it if it stays with me much longer!
Diarmuid