Irish Mountain
Running Association

Howth Winter

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Richard NunanJan 1 2011, 8:47pmHappy New year!!!!

Kicking off the 2011 Running we have our first winter league race taking place in Howth on the 9th of January.

A short course of just over 5km to ease us back into the hills !!

We will be looking for Volunteers to help out at the race both running and non-running.

If you can help out on the day please login to IMRA and register yourself as a Volunteer. Any help will be appreciated.

The IMRA Yearbook 2010 will also be available for Sale on the day for those who didn't get it in their Santa Sock.

So dust of those cobwebs and we look forward to seeing you all back out on the hills on Sunday.

richard nunanJan 2 2011, 7:05pm

Doing a recce of the Howth Route tomorrow with the Course Marker - Gerry Brady.

If anyone wants to join us we will be meeting at the sea front car park opposite Mauds at 10:00.

All are welcome -
Richard NunanJan 3 2011, 7:31pmGood Recce of Howth today - thanks again to Gerry for organising it.

Short but a very nice run taking in two good climbs - lots of twists and turns so be careful how you go. It should be well marked, so as long as you do not cross over red and white tape you should do good.

If people are attending we would be grateful if they could Carpool from the Car Parks by the Sea front. Alternatively you could park in near by Dear Park golf course and walk over to the howth GAA club, admiring some of the course as you go.

Registration will be open at 9:20 and will close at 10:30 Sharp. Conditions are muddy and slippery on parts so fell runners or better are recommended.

PLEASE DO NOT RUN ON THE FOOTBALL PITCH AT ANYTIME DURING WARM-UP OR DURING THE RACE.
Paul Brew CrewJan 4 2011, 12:06pmHi Richard,

Paul here from the Brew Crew. We are available to attend if required to offer our services on the day including hot teas/ coffees / chocolates and a selection of fresh sandwiches etc.

Kind regards,

Paul.
richard nunanJan 4 2011, 4:51pmIMPORTANT RACE POSTPONEMENT NOTICE !!

This Sundays race will be postponed until January 16th.

Howth GAA were subject to a break-in and now have no water available and therefore have asked us to postpone our race until the 16th of January.
Brendan LawlorJan 10 2011, 11:16amRichard

Will there be a junior course next Sunday? And if so do you have any high viz vests for the juniors as we did in Trooperstown - if you don't, then I'll see if I can organise a few
Richard NunanJan 10 2011, 3:28pm
Hi Folks,

There will be a Junior Course also on this Sundays Race.

Any new members please download and have the IMRA Membership form filled out in advance.

This is available at

http://www.imra.ie/ad-hoc/MembershipForm2011.pdf

Ronan HickeyJan 10 2011, 3:48pmHi Richard,

What time do you want us volunteers to show up?

Ronan
richard nunanJan 14 2011, 11:58amHi Folks,

Just to confirm Sundays Race is going ahead.

Registration opens at 9:20am and Closes at 10:30 sharp -
Please arrive early so that we don't have long queues at 10:30.

HOUSE RULES:
Please Carpool or walk from the seafront!! (10 minute walk)
No muddy runners in the GAA as it has just been refurbished.
PLEASE DO NOT WARM-UP UP ON THE FOOTBALL PITCHES.

MANDATORY KIT:
Looking at the weather forecast for Sunday and the duration of the race. The Mandatory Kit required is a rain coat.

There will be a junior course on Sunday. Juniors are required to wear a bib. This will be available from Eamon Hodge on Sunday.

VOLUNTEERS:
All volunteers should arrive at 9:00am. Look forward to seeing you all and thank you in advance for your assistance on the day.
Jean O'NeillJan 15 2011, 10:48pmWhy does registration close at 10.30? Why does race commence at 11am, instead of the (used to be) usual 12 noon? The FIRST DART arrives at Howth at 9.55 (if on time), which does not give much time for large numbers to get to the GAA club and register before 10.30. This is one of the few races accessible by public transport, but in this case public transport is not much use.
suzanne kennyJan 16 2011, 3:43pmGreat race to kick start the year...loved the course... was easy to follow after gerrys excellent tape placement and registration was a lot faster than I expected considering it was the first race back...well done richard and crew foe great morning on the northside. ;)
Brenda MalleyJan 16 2011, 5:48pmJust want to have my race time recorded. I got lost and missed the finish line, but finished in 55 minutes. Very enjoyable and well organised race. Many thanks. Brenda Malley. Race number 14.
Val jonesJan 16 2011, 5:54pmThanks everyone for coming early to register and being patient with us in the queue. I hope you all enjoyed the race. I think we resolved everything by the end. Kevin will enter any of your changes of addresses, emails, teams, etc., during the week.
Val and Gavan
Kevin O'RiordanJan 16 2011, 6:03pmHaving some issues uploading the race results to the website.

In the meantime: http://www.imra.ie/ad-hoc/Howth Winter 2011.xls
Richard NunanJan 16 2011, 8:14pmGreat to see over 190 runners out today on the 1st race of the year.
Well Done to Eoin Keith 1st Place men and to Suzanne Kenny 1st Place ladies.

+1 to Gerry marking a superb course. Everyone enjoyed it !
Things went smoothly thanks to a great group of Volunteers, a huge thanks to them
especially Val and Gavin.

We had our first person being trained as a "Shadow Laptop" operator. This worked very well and I would encourage others to do the same. There is no advanced laptop training required. If you want to do this position in the future please contact the race director of the race you are available to do.

LASTLY, shortage of non-running volunteers. This year we are asking everyone to do ONE non-running volunteer position and one other volunteering position. Please come forward and help, its much appreciated.

Thanks to everyone for Car Pooling!!!
Caitlín BentJan 16 2011, 8:36pmHi Richard, Could I too have my race participation recorded. I was an early starter and my finish time was 49 mins. My finish time was taken by you. Thanks for an enjoyable run. On a good course. I think a page of results must have gone astray.
Greg MayJan 16 2011, 8:58pmGreat race today folks, loved the course, loved the change.

Amazing turnout this early in the season and little to no issue with sign on. Excellent as usual.
Alan AylingJan 16 2011, 9:09pmResults seem to be a bit wonky. Lot of runners missing, even on the "All" tab.

Also, are the results no longer going to show % of winning time? If so it seems a pity, a good few people seemed to find it an interesting and useful statistic.

Great race today, though the run around the pitches at the end was a bit on the cruel side! Good to be back out and see everyone again after the break.
Nicola SheridanJan 16 2011, 9:10pmHi there. Thank you for a great race course today. It was my first race with imra . I was not listed in the results. Came in near end of pack think my no. Was 142. Nicola sheridan
Kevin O'RiordanJan 16 2011, 9:24pmThere's an issue with the website that is causing results to be dropped when uploading.

In the meantime, refer here for the full list of results: http://www.imra.ie/ad-hoc/Howth%20Winter%202011.xls
cian delaneyJan 16 2011, 10:34pmhey, first run with imra this morn aswel, great race, great craic after and met some lovely people. just wondeing how difficult do the races get as regards navigation. i would like to do a lot more of these but have no navigational skills at all. any help appreciated. thanks again!
Ronan HickeyJan 17 2011, 8:10amI have about 200 photos to upload from yesterday but the "Load Photos" functionality seems to be broken on the website? Geting a stack trace due to a missing directory on the server:

(Checked using Internet Explorer)

Message: The given destination is not a directory or does not exist

Stack trace:
#0 C:\Program Files (x86)\Zend\ZendServer\share\ZendFramework\library\Zend\Form\Element\File.php(505): Zend_File_Transfer_Adapter_Abstract->setDestination('/codebase/uploa...', 'Zip')
#1 C:\imra\live\codebase\application\classes\models\PhotoModel.php(59): Zend_Form_Element_File->setDestination('/codebase/uploa...')

Ronan
Derek CharlesJan 17 2011, 9:50amHi Richard,
Great race, excellent course, enjoyed the first IMRA run of the year. Are all the results up for yesterdays race ? Some friends and I don't seem to have made it to the results.
sean mcmahonJan 17 2011, 10:32amSomebody please tell me that it was more than 5km!
Alan KilbrideJan 17 2011, 1:37pmnot by much....
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/63822185

I clocked it at 5.28k which seems spot on.

Ps: Thanks to all who organised the race, was a great day out!
Joan StapletonJan 17 2011, 2:09pmHi Richard,

I wonder could you check results for me as I wasn't included on the results list.
I finished near the back and there was a gap in front of the girl ahead of me.
I think I finished just behind Sarah Ni Ruairc.
Enjoyed the race and looking forward to find out how I did.
My race No. is 162.

Thanks and regards,

Joan
Joan StapletonJan 17 2011, 2:23pmRichard, ignore above message. I finished much further back (2nd or 3rd last I'd say)
Alan CollinsJan 17 2011, 4:12pmI second what Alan Ayling says - I'm another of the missing names (don't really want this one recorded but it is Alan collins No.193 31:40. Also Shane Devlin No.194 31:25.
Kevin O'RiordanJan 17 2011, 4:20pmGuys, please refer to the Excel spreadsheet that I've posted twice to this forum. There are currently technical issues with the website results upload facility. If your name is in the spreadsheet then we will have your results online when the technical issues are resolved.

Regards,

Kevin O'Riordan
Results and records secretary.
Eamonn HodgeJan 17 2011, 4:31pm@Alan Collins

Jeez Alan! What happened?! Can't write a race report if we're not battling it out Brockagh/Devil's Glen-style!
Rene BorgJan 17 2011, 9:12pmTeam results are up...
Kevin O'RiordanJan 17 2011, 11:22pmHey Rene, you missed out on Jonathan Healy Crusaders in the team results.

-Kevin.
Rene BorgJan 18 2011, 7:22amHi Kevin,

Thanks for letting me know, he wasn't down as Crusaders yet in the version I looked at, but good to see him follow in the brothers' footsteps! :)

I'll correct that.

-Rene
Rene BorgJan 18 2011, 7:26amThat's fixed Kevin, he's still not down with the club against his name, perhaps check if his database entry was updated correctly?
aidan roeJan 18 2011, 7:33amEamonn
Alan (Collins) spent the winter months stuffing himself with Vinalla Slices & Guinness. thats why you never met out on course.

A.
Eoin KeithJan 18 2011, 9:21amIn case anyone missed it, the results are now uploaded properly in the events page. All should be fine from now on!
Simon MondsJan 18 2011, 9:40amJust wondering if someone could check this;

As we did the first lap of the GAA pitch there were about 40-50 people ahead of me. We passed someone calling race positions and he called me as 40. I passed some people between then and the end and reckoned I finished about 35th (or possibly higher). Race results have me as 128th (in over 36mins). I had no watch so had no idea of my time but was pretty certain that I was faster than that. I posted on boards.ie on the imra page and one person said that his friend thought he ran in about 36 mins but was placed in top 30. Just wondering if my number could've been mixed up with someone else's and if it's possible to check the sheets. Cheers. (race number was 173)
Kevin O'RiordanJan 18 2011, 1:31pmHey Simon,

Will correct that for you this evening. Had it corrected last night but Eoin was still doing work on the website upload facility so the changes got lost. There are some club corrections as well which I'll upload tonight.

Regards,
Kevin.
Alan CollinsJan 18 2011, 2:12pmI know Eamo! It usually takes me a long time to get going - like half a season. Apparently there's something called 'training' which you are supposed to do...
Ronan HickeyJan 19 2011, 8:40amI just uploaded a gang of photos for Howth as Eoin Keith has fixed the upload functionality. Tag away!

Ronan
Ronan HickeyJan 19 2011, 9:03amI spoke too early..sorry guys, still a problem with viewing those photos

Ronan
Colm HillJan 19 2011, 12:50pmAny chance of a few race reports?
Eoin KeithJan 19 2011, 6:42pmPhotos for howth winter should now be on site and available for tagging. Enjoy!