Irish Mountain
Running Association

World Championships Trial 2010

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Gerry BradyJun 22 2010, 12:51amProvisional route map for World championships trial race on 7th August is on event page. Variation of Djouce uphill course with sharper uphill early on in race and more descent.
Gerry BradyJul 13 2010, 11:41pmEasy training run over the trial course for the World championships on Saturday 17th July. Meet at Crone Wood at 10:30 (please send me email if coming along). Bring rain jacket just in case.
Ian ConroyJul 15 2010, 9:08pmHow come it's a short race? I know Ireland is a fairly flat country but wouldn't it have been great to so it somewhere down south, is it similar terrain and such compared to Slovenian race? Fraid I can't make the training run as I'm racing 800m on the Sunday, but I'll get out before the trial.
Dermot MurphyJul 16 2010, 10:00amIan, for the senior men, its on the short side alright compared to the WC race itself. The problem is that the WC race has an elevation gain of 1300 meters - no mountains in Ireland are that high. And the second problem, which you mention yourself, is having a race with similar terrain. You could possibly have a longer trial race with a greater elevation, but on our mountain's you lose out in terms of terrain (WC races are usually on Trails). The other alternative is having a significant descent on the Trial race, but this would be changing the nature of the race compared to the WC race itself. Gerry may have more to say on this, but the Trial race is the best compromise in terms of uphill only (although there is a bit of downhill on it). terrain (mostly on trails), but losing out on elevation gain and length.
Its not as significant a problem for the juniors and senior women.
Gerry BradyJul 26 2010, 10:22pmVolunteers needed particularly at the three finish points and to act as marshalls on the course.

Training run on course this Saturday leaving Crone Wood at 10:00 (contact me if you are coming along 087 617 4021).
Peter O'FarrellJul 31 2010, 1:28pmGarmin Profile of the trial route
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/42511909

Thanks Gerry for the guiding.
Gerry BradyAug 1 2010, 10:07pmThe trial race distances for the under 16 boys and girls for the British and Irish Junior international have been shortened (see event details for more information). This means runners born in 1994 will not be considered for selection for the uphill World junior championships.

Two athletes have been pre-selected for the World championships: Emmet Jennings (DSD) in the junior men and John Heneghan (Clonliffe) in the senior men.

Three athletes have been pre-selected for the British and Irish: Claire Brennan (Celtic DCH) in the under 16 girls, and Kevin Dooney (Raheny Shamrocks) and Michael Treacy (DSD) in the under 18 boys.

The senior men trial race is being held on a tough course and is open to all IMRA members. The senior races also comprise the inter-county championships so a chance to run for your county.
Gerry BradyAug 3 2010, 11:39pmMore volunteers are needed for Inter-Counties / Trial races this Saturday. A laptop operator to record entrants and after race to enter finish sheets. Results volunteers for the four finishes (preferably women for the under 16 girls and junior girls finishes). Some people for registration. Course marshalls. Some good quality photographers - beautiful scenery to get the shot of a lifetime.

Please email me at gerry.brady @ imra.ie asap.
Dermot MurphyAug 6 2010, 11:33amWe still need a couple more marshal's for the race tomorrow - any help would be appreciated.
Sharon BirdAug 6 2010, 2:36pmGerry, Chris is coming down tomorrow to watch so says he can marshall if still needed...
Sharon BirdAug 6 2010, 2:36pmGerry, Chris is coming down tomorrow to watch so says he can marshall if still needed...