Irish Mountain
Running Association

Black Mountain

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Niamh O'CeallaighJan 29 2009, 8:07amHi,

I know it's a bit cheeky to ask,
...but,
any chance the date of this race might be changed to the Sunday?
It's just that every year Northern Ireland host one of the British Champ races. This year they are hosting a 4 mile race on Slieve Bearnagh on Saturday 4th April. These races are great to take part in as there is usually a big contingent over from the UK and a hot meal afterwards.

I was thinking that we could make a great weekend out of it if Black Mountain was moved to Sunday. We might get more NIMRA runners taking part also.

I see that there isn't a date set for the NIMRA's home race for the North/South challenge. Maybe the whole challenge could take place over one weekend? Slieve Bearnagh and Black Mountain?

Thanks

Niamh
Paul O'ConnellMar 29 2009, 1:03pmHey,
From looking at the map, is this an out-and-back on the same route race?
Looking forwards to next sunday,
P
Gerry BradyMar 29 2009, 4:50pmThe race is out and back the same route. Half the route is on forest road and half on open mountain, the latter is mostly fast and runnable with spectacular views of the Mourne mountains, Carlingford Lough and Dundalk bay. The route along the ridge is marked by yellow-painted stones used for the annual puc fada. The route is long and challenging but still ideal as an introduction for the Irish championship races or as a workout before the Wicklow Way Trail race. The route will be marked.
Charlie O'ConnellMar 31 2009, 11:34pmGoogle Earth maps are not the best for navigation on open mountain. Would it not be possible to use our sponsor's maps instead?
gerry bradyMar 31 2009, 11:50pmCourse will be marked :) The google map has been changed, hopefully new one is more amenable for route finding.
Declan O'DwyerApr 1 2009, 4:46pmLooking at the pictures from last year, the course appears to be quite wet. Any idea what condition it is in now?
Ben CraneApr 1 2009, 6:12pmWe did a recce last Saturday and the course is in good condition. On the open mountain there are small boggy areas but most of the running is on good tracks - soft but fast. The first couple of miles are on forest track, as Gerry said.
Jason KehoeApr 2 2009, 11:06amHi Ben,

What type of shoe would you recommend if the weather holds off? Trail or Trainer?

There is supposed to be heavy rain on Friday but I think it will clear Sat and be sunny on Sunday.

Cheers,
Jason
Ben CraneApr 2 2009, 11:39amHi Jason,

If the weather holds off I think you'll get away with trainers, especially on the forest track. Personally i'll prob go with me trailers cause i like the extra grip. If it rains and is wet then extra grip will come in handy as there are a few steep grassy slopes. As i say, if dry then very runable in trainers.

Ben
Jason KehoeApr 3 2009, 10:48amRE: Carpooling

I am giving lifts from Belgard Luas stop in Tallaght at 9:50am. The car is full but I have not got confirmation by email because I didn't have my email address in my IMRA profile. Shay Foody who is taking a lift has been in contact by phone but could the two other people make themselves know to me to confirm? Sorry for the mess! Ph:0851414141

Thanks,
Jason
Gerry BradyApr 4 2009, 1:40pmRegistration opens at 11:00 and closes at 11:45 sharp. We only have two volunteers for registration so please arrive in good time (more volunteers welcome)! If you are a confident descender then training shoes are fine, otherwise wear trail shoes if you prefer more grip. The descent from the ridge on the way back to the forest is the most technical descent. The turnaround point for the full distance is a small hill directly opposite the mast. Eamonn McMahon will be marshalling the course at that point.
Paul MitchellApr 5 2009, 7:51pmThanks for a really enjoyable race today.
The photos are fantastic - thanks again.
cormac o ceallaighApr 6 2009, 7:43amFantastic race yesterday.Super route,brillant variety. Excellent job Gerry in organising it to perfection.Big thanks to volunteers, Sinead, Dermot, Eamon.What a beautiful part of the country!
MAGS GREENANApr 6 2009, 12:48pmA fantastic day had by all on the Black Mountain and great work done by a small but very efficient team of Gerry Eamon, Sinead and Dermot. Wel done fokes. Great photos Gerry as usual and a very Happy Birthday to that bare chested runner Tony Kiernan the big 40 today. Mags
Paul O'GradyApr 6 2009, 12:58pmJust to add my Thanks to Gerry and Co for a fabulous race - very well organised - and very well marked - and what an absolute beast of a race!!!
Dermot MurphyApr 6 2009, 4:42pmThere was a navy blue light fleece left behind at the finish line yesterday. Contact me at dermot.murphy at imra.ie in order to get in back.