Irish Mountain
Running Association

Powerscourt Ridge

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Rene BorgSep 14 2008, 3:41pmIn my capacity as chronically injured I have the pleasure of race directing Powerscourt Ridge.

I'll need a number of volunteers for this, so if you're interested please drop me a line on rene dot borg at imra dot ie.

Rene
Ruth Ní SSep 22 2008, 12:09pmHi there,

I have completed several Sprint Triathlons in the past 12 months and wonder (1)what this event entails exactly and (2)whether I would be up to it? I am no stranger to mountain hikes lasting up to 2/3 hours but am not sure what (918m climb x 15.5k long) involves.

Kind regards,
Ruth
Rene BorgSep 22 2008, 12:53pmHi Ruth, you may want to compare with the finishing times from last year. As you can see, the majority of the stronger (top-20) runners would still need at least 1:30 hours to complete.

So physically, it would be slightly more taxing than a half-marathon for most.

It's a good thing that you have hills in your legs, there is two savage climbs, one from Crone to Maulin, where ascent grades are very vertical in stretches (hands and knees stuff), and the climb to Djouce which is long and protracted but steepens considerably again at the end. Finally there's a little climb as you cross the Dargle on your way back.

However, I wouldn't be too worried, if you take a conservative approach to the first climb and ease your way into it.

More of a novelty for your muscles will probably be the huge amount of downhill, as this will be fast and furious. It's mostly easy stuff, though, so just be warned that you'll suffer a bit more eccentric muscle damage than you may be used to. I'd recommend doing a few long slow hill runs in the intertwening weeks. Training long dowhills builds up significant protection to the muscle damage it causes for quite a long period after the training session.
Geraldine O'SheaSep 22 2008, 1:57pmHi Rene,
Is there going to be a short course option ? Thanks.
Geraldine
Ruth Ní SSep 22 2008, 2:04pmHi there,

I have completed several Sprint Triathlons in the past 12 months and wonder (1)what this event entails exactly and (2)whether I would be up to it? I am no stranger to mountain hikes lasting up to 2/3 hours but am not sure what (918m climb x 15.5k long) involves.

Kind regards,
Ruth
Rene BorgSep 22 2008, 2:12pmHi Geraldine,

yes, I plan to have a marshal at Maulin turning people back at that point.

I'll provide the details on that option once I've done the "measurements" :)
Ruth Ní SSep 22 2008, 2:48pmHi there,

Kind regards,
Ruth
James ShanahanOct 3 2008, 10:35amHi,

I am new to mountain running. After the race on the 11/10/2008 are there any more races for beginners??

Thank you in advance.

James
Rene BorgOct 3 2008, 10:51amHi James, unfortunately the Powerscourt Ridge race marks the end of the hill running season both for safety reasons and to make way for the cross-country season being rolled out by the AAI, the BHAA, and others.

We will, however, kick off again in January with the Winter League, where most of the races are suitable enough for beginners (we strive them have them relatively short, and on safe trails with minimum exposure to open mountain and simple routes to lessen risk of getting lost in the cold weather).

So keep your eyes peeked on the calendar :)

Leonard GryzbowskiOct 3 2008, 11:26amHi Rene,

Could you please give me directions to the start of the Powerscourt Ridge Run. Are there any maps of the route? Also is there parking at the start?

Thank You,
Leonard
Rene BorgOct 3 2008, 2:34pmWe don't have any map of this route unfortunately (I'll be happy to accept submissions), but its very easy to follow so we should get by without it.

I do recommend going down to Crone and recceing bits of it in advance. I did it the first time in 2007 and Barry Tennyson showed me the route two weeks in advance. It's easy to remember and see (a lot is on the Wicklow Way or clear trails).

I will post a slightly more detailed description than the existing this weekend.

For instructions, use the Googlemap on the events page and use the map to plot your course.

For those who've done Ballyross, Crone Wood University Championships (Winter League), Crone Wood Euro Trial, this year, this race starts in the same carpark. this is the same starting location.
Kevin O'RiordanOct 3 2008, 2:56pmI drew out the route here using Gmaps pedometer:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2309432

You'll need to use satellite view to make sense of it.
Peter O'FarrellOct 3 2008, 4:17pmAs in previous years please carpool to and from the Glencormac Inn, Kilmacanogue to the race start in Crone Wood. Prizegiving and bunfight to take place in the Glencormac Inn after the race.

Option B is to cycle down.

cheers,
Peter

There is a reference to an OSi map in one of the previous years race instructions, maybe that link can be re-activated too?

I like the spam prevention questions :)
Justin ReaOct 3 2008, 4:47pmAny chance of going up the nice new path rather that the ride (from hell)?

There is a continuation of the path that joins the Maulin track so you don't have to go up Gerry's steep grassy hill.

I'd be happy to show someone the path at the weekend if interested. May run the whole thing Sunday 3pm if anyone wants to do a recce.
Paul NolanOct 3 2008, 5:01pmHeretic
Rene BorgOct 3 2008, 5:15pmHi Justin, can you let me know how that changes the run? I'd be loathe to change the existing route, especially with short notice unless it offers a significant improvement on the old route.

This ties in slightly with the use of the Powerscourt Ridge race in the future as well. Should it become a LC race, route choice would not be completely locked and I think people have taken slightly different routes in the past, so I need to decide on policy on that for Saturday. So I'd like feedback on how the new route would be different from the old (shorter/longer, etc., I take it its easier).

Are you talking about the grassy bit after the step path in Crone leading out of the forest, or the nasty stuff next to the Stone Wall?

I'd love to join for the recce, but I'm just about back to running and 30min of running is still ardeous, so I will have to give this a pass.

Brian FureyOct 3 2008, 5:35pmI wouldnt like to see this ride being taken out of the race. It's not that bad!
This is after all mountain-running :)
Rene -It's the path you take turning right of the Crone wood firetrack and brings you straight up to the Wall.
Justin ReaOct 3 2008, 7:38pmOK, ok. Motion withdrawn. It's a lovely ride . . .

It would have shortened the route, and used the well constructed path. Still may be an option for a league race.
Brían O'MearaOct 6 2008, 11:43amHi.

I'm an fairly experienced hillwalker, and do a bit of running (about one 8 miler a week, though I haven't managed one for about 3 weeks). I've never done any official mountain running events butI'm thinking of giving this a bit of a lash.

I'm assuming runners and light raingear? is there need for a compass etc?

Thanks,

Brían

Brían O'MearaOct 6 2008, 11:43amHi.

I'm an fairly experienced hillwalker, and do a bit of running (about one 8 miler a week, though I haven't managed one for about 3 weeks). I've never done any official mountain running events butI'm thinking of giving this a bit of a lash.

I'm assuming runners and light raingear? is there need for a compass etc?

Thanks,

Brían

Mick HanneyOct 6 2008, 5:46pmHi,

It would make more sense to give this race a miss and use the winter league series of races in the new year for your hill running baptism. This race is quite ardous and unmarked so you could go astray if not familiar with the route. The winter league routes are marked. Have a look at the events tab for 2007 and see the race times, to get an idea of how long you'd be out on the mountain. You'd also end up paying the annual registration fee for the last race of the year which wouldn't make much sense.

Regards,

Mick
Paul O'GradyOct 7 2008, 1:30pmRene,

Will there be equiptment requirements for this race or is it up to the individual?

Thanks

Paul
Rene BorgOct 7 2008, 6:11pmThere'll only be a minimum kit requirement, I have attached a recommendation, however, for extra kit that would be of use.

There will be marshals on Maulin and Djouce who can assist runners, or register any withdrawals. Treat the route as unmarked, but we will have five markers at key point on the day, and the Wicklow Way signs will never be far, and mark significant parts of the route.

The weather forecast is looking good, but even then, expect quite some exposure on Djouce. This, however, is very brief, and please look out for the summit marshal at the top, who's your best bet for assistance at the top should you feel hypothermic or otherwise weakened.

If in doubt, please register your withdrawal from the long course on the top of Maulin with the marshal there, and we will retroactively add you to the short course. I ask common sense to be shown as well in case of what may seem like minor injuries. If in any doubt at all, withdraw and return to base. If an injury slows you down, it'll get cold out there.

This means, for everyone else interested, that Maulin will be the turning point for the short course should anyone wish to run that. Those who expressed an interest in trying out hill running may consider this option as it features a fierce climb but very little open exposed mountain.

KIT

REQUIRED
Whistle
Windproof/Waterproof

RECOMMENDATIONS
Baselayer (tight fitting sports shirt, in all cold or wet weather, similar to "Skinz" and other brands. Lightweight but huge heat difference)
Cellphone (IMRA number is on the back of you number)
Compass (if you know how to use it)
Gel
Gloves and hat (required in cold, wet weather, call to be made on the day, so bring along)
Map (if you know how to read it)
Water (only for those who expect to finish in 2hours plus or we need a gel)

When choosing gear, go by common knowledge, "the slower you run, the colder you'll be", and keep in mind that you could twist and ankle or suffer a bad fall.
Roisin KelleherOct 8 2008, 9:07amHI Rene,
If the official course is 15.54km with an 918m ascent; Would you know approximately what is the distance & climb to Maulin?
Thanks Roisin
Rene BorgOct 8 2008, 9:23amHi all, we're missing one box of gear for the race on Saturday.

It's the "Race Director 2" box full of administrative stuffs (pencils etc.)>
Rene BorgOct 8 2008, 9:30amHi Roisin,

I've had a look over the route, and from the top of Maulin, it's better to continue onward until the Wicklow Way turns back into Crone Wood before the descent to the Dargle (this is the route everyone will take on their return to Djouce and is a closed loop).

This route will be around 8.5km long and feature 400m of tough ascent.

We're trying to fix the Powerscourt map, as it won't appear on the websiteat the moment despite our best efforts. On the map the short route clearly appears as closed circle, will the full race route extendind a long hangman's noose from it.

If anyone needs the map in the meantime, mail me at rene dot borg at imra dot ie.
Rene BorgOct 9 2008, 8:33amPlease note that there will be a Mountain Meitheal working on the Djouce summit trail this Saturday from 10:30.

They have confirmed that their presence should not be a problem for the race but asks that we keep to the route and take care of the trail.

Also, please look out for crowbars, mattocks and other tools that may be around.

There'll also be a collection tin on the summit, so bringing a coin with you up there may earn us some goodwill and contribute to this worthy cause (alternatively, send me a commitment in advance, and I will have the summmit marshal carry it up for you and take the payment on the day).
Aaron O'DonohueOct 10 2008, 12:54am
Soup and sandwiches will be provided by the Association to the first 50 runners back to the Glencormack Inn after the race on Saturday.
Rene BorgOct 12 2008, 6:04pmResults are up for Powerscourt Ridge. Men's winner was Barry Minnock in new record time of 73:20.

Women's winner was Donna Mahon.
Dermot MurphyOct 13 2008, 9:17amI didn't realise superwoman was running in the Powerscourt race on saturday....

http://www.imra.ie/photos/view/id/25547/
Jackie O'HaganOct 13 2008, 11:10amAs Justin K was quick to notice it's my new downhill running technique...in fact I am writing a new book on it. It's called "14 Giant Leaps to the Bottom".
It's due to go to press soon so if anyone would like to pre-order! ;)